Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Don't let it fade away

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't let it fade away

There is so much racing history that needs to be documented. All of us should send in stories and importantly photos to BRF Our history of the 1950s is fading. For example if you Google boat racing at Lake Merced San Fransisco you get the current dragon boat races but nothing about the fact that Lake Merced and Lake Merritt in Oakland were important outboard racing venues right in the heart of major metros in the US . Both Lakes hosted APBA national championships in the 50s. In this article John Alden says there were 17 BUs competing at Lake Merced. I count 14 at the start line in the photo! Anyone remember the Mariposa Boat Club that hosted the Lake Merced alky races? I think Lou Pastrone was an officer then. Is this club the same as the present Mariposa Yacht Club? The unforgettable sight of 10 FFRs with their deck riders in formation at the first turn at Merced. A paltry few photos and text exists in Speed and Spray such as the one attached but that seems to be all. At the 1952 nationals in Oakland there were EU stock outboard runabouts racing! I've never even seen or known about one of those - have you?. [ATTACH]53784[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information