Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Marshall Grant

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Payments come in Different Forms

The first paid concert was a benefit for a friend of Marshall Grant (B Hydro driver) who had been hurt n a boat-racing accident. The event was at a bar b que place. It was the second appearance of the group and you could say it was their first paid performance. They got to eat all the bar b que they wanted!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Autographed Copy???

Will Marshall autograph a copy for me, or anyone else???

I'm sure Marshall has no idea how many times I listened and sang along with the ballad of Ira Hayes...the whiskey drinking Indian or the Marine than went to war.....

Wayne, the pictures you post really tell the story of OUR LIVES....

After Chad crashed out Sunday, we realized, that in the old days, we'd have wrapped duct tape around his boat and been back out, much like Bill Curtis did to Kevin Curtis's boat.....Kevin finished third in the Main but not giving up....

We should have gone to work, with the concept of "It ain't over til, it's over"...but wait until next year...

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What a deal....

....all the Bar be Que you can eat!

Can you imagine? A band...that at their peak that was the most popular band, even more than the Beatles or Rolling Stones,...selling more records than any band....and their second gig... and the first paying gig was at a boat race?

bill boyes

Default Marshall Grant

Just finished the book. I highly recommend. Good reading. How did Marshall ever put up with Cash and his drug use?
    The book is available at Amazon.com $16.00

Post Thanks / Like

Default couldn't wait

Karen has Joe's computer tied up and he couldn't wait to get this story out and asked my help. It all started after Joe talked to Bill Boyes earlier about a trip he took to the NOA Nationals at Midland with the DeSilvas. Later today Joe talked with Marshall about it and this is what came to mind after thinking about that race.

Harry Bartolomei was a good set up man and had taken away a straightaway record the Marshall's D runabout held. Those records were falling pretty fast during that time period and so Marshall stayed over for the straighaway records on Monday.

Marshall had done some reworking of his prop and had a setup he felt could bring the record back. On the first run that DeSilva with a Merc hung on it was a beautiful sight as it laid out just perfect on the water. The return leg was very hairy. It was all Dickie Pond could do to keep it on the water, and Marshall was convinced he could not even do that all the way through the traps. But he did. Barely. As if the final bouy was the signal, Dickie and his DeSilva took off like a 747 bound for London.

As it climbed it began to loop around then spit Dickie out. Miraculously the runabout landed upright and made a 90 toward the pits. It was still running at an idle as it came right next to Marshall's pit area. He waded out and shut it off.

After Dickie quit tumbling and took stock of himself, he began to swim toward shore. As he got close he hollered "Marshall....Marshall!" Marshall was worried and thought to himself, "What's the matter with Dickie?" He headed over to him and Dickie stayed down. As quietly and he could and still be heard he said to Marshall, "I've lost my shoes, my pants, and my underwear. Get me something to wear." Joe didn't say whether Marshall got a big grin on his face or not, but his brother-in-law Jerry Pennington had a bathing suit handy that he took to Dickie.

Post Thanks / Like

In the offshore circuit, we got to meet just about everybody...from movie actors, to singers, to politicians, to wrestlers. The vast majority were there, primarily, for "photo ops" and publicity. I was aware of the Johnny Cash-Marshall Grant connection after reading the various articles back in the 60's, but never realised the full extent of Marshall's involvement in the sport...rather than as a poseur. This thread is a great tribute to the guy in that it shows his real commitment.... and the fact that in spite of his fame and success...he achieved the greatest title of all.... He was a real "Boat Racer".

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Default That's right T2x

He really loved the sport. The only reason he gave it up was for his family. He had to quit driving as the band's popularity increased. Then when his son Randy got deeply involved with horses he decided to sell out. All of his time had been spent with the band and racing. But even though Randy came to pit for him, it was still Marshall's baby. He told me that he had to sell everything. If he kept any equipment, he might be tempted to get back in. I don't know if he kept any old motors or boats that were obsolete though. But he still loves to tell old boat racing stories. He told Joe a couple of years ago he spotted the Seebold's trailer at a Cracker Barrel and stopped. Marshall said he and Billy spent more than an hour talking racing before they had to get back on the road. Can't get it out of your blood.

BTW T2x--Do you know Alan Butler? He used to race offshore with outboards a few years back.

Thread Information