Thread: NBRA is Paying $10,000 Tow Money: APBA Offers $200 Memberships

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm Not Sure you Are Correct About Kids not wanting to Get Into Boat Racing

Over the years, I've seen lots of people come and go. Many reasons people don't get into (OUTBOARD) boat racing now days.

1. People really don't want to get hurt.
    2. Not one new motor available.
    3. Racing format isn't very good, out dated.
    4. Too much traveling for the average person.
    5. Who helps people that are racing?
    6. What do you get when you win?

Addressing each point:1-6

1. I look at O'Conner boat repair on Face Book. He does a beautiful job repairing boats that are busted up pretty well.
    If the boat his busted and the driver was in the boat what happed to the driver? Grass Root Boat Drags from 40 HP to 500 HP has a lots of participants. Why? You don't get run over in the corners, there are no corners. You boat doesn't require duct tape after a heat. Your expansive paint job is good for the season or more.

No small outboard Boat Builder talks about Safety! But I do. A capsule in a "C" Hydro is cheaper to make than a cut suit.

2. 1976, Tom Ige brought us the Yamato 80. Great motor, some as still running today 3/31/2023 or 47 years later. Oh APBA has the 300 Class. A you run against guys that have raced for 40 years and you get to race two five lap heats a day.....Sit on the beach and watch 5 other Yamatoes race, with four oats in each class? That sure sounds like fun.

There isn't a current class with a current motor. Talk for a 4 stroke 20 for almost two years, 4 Strokes have been out and LAW since 2006....or 2008. Or around 15 years.

3. Clock starts and two 3-5 lap heats. How about One 12 lap heat, with shore start with a Yellow caution coming out at lap six, let them line up, a flag start them on SINGLE BOUY turns. Single bouy turns are required in Tri Hulls. Single pin turns are safer the three pin turns. Run three heats instead of buying a second boat. Race more laps so you get your money's worth.

How aout a Team race, where you count points by teams?

4. Change boat designs so you don't have to find a "PISS PUDDLE" to race in. Most current Outboards cancel races when there is a 2" chop on the water.

5. No one helps new people. New people are supposed to buy everyone's junk, so the old timers have someone to beat.

6. Charge higher entry fees, but give away NICE TROPHIES or watches or silver plates...My daughter was 4 when on Monday she asked me what we won at the races. I showed here four certificates. She never got interested in racing.

1941 Rus Hill rides again C Racing Runabout.....82 years ago, oat look the same, kneel down, hand throttle...

It ain't the kids faults they don't want to drive a Model T.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-31-2023 at 01:11 PM.
    Likes Mike Crawford liked this post

Thread Information