PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Master Oil Racing Team
01-24-2014, 10:04 PM
All the racers from the north extremes, Midwest and west coast that had been entertained by Baldy a couple of weeks ago were gone. But we still had the Lone Star Championships to finish. Baldy's race course was the southmost of the circuit, but he still kept up the rules for records. The racecourse was resurveyed after Kay Harrison set the three mile record and it was surveyed again prior to the Lone Star race.

Most of the Texas racers came back to race again as they had found Baldy's race course to be a very good one. The race the previous spring had made them aware of the great pit area, and with the Lone Star officials, clock, and other essentials, Baldy's race course at Barbon was established on the Lone Star circuit. Bobby Wilson and some others that had a six or seven hundred round trip to race at Baldy's spent time on their equipment and did the turnaround to come back.

We didn't get quite the coverage we did for the National Outboard Association World Championships, but we still got media coverage. There was not enough time to do the hype like we did before, but Corpus Christi sports editor Roy Swann covered the races. Probably more than I have copies of such as the pre race publicity.

As far as everything else though, Baldy had it all covered from portable bathrooms to the ambulances, race course protection from the Texas game wardens in patrol boats, concessionaires, and lists and phone numbers of area motels. We had a good attendance even though Baldy's was a long way and a short time since they had last been to Baldy's.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-25-2014, 01:53 PM
I added Jim Wilkins and Bob McFarland's names to post #725 page 73 and a newspaper article from the Caller Times on post #749 on page 75. Jim Wilkins was from Garland, Texas between Dallas and Fort Worth and Bob McFarland was from Granite City, Illinois.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-31-2014, 09:07 PM
I've taken some time to continue on to the Texas State Championships (Lone Star Boat Racing Association and NOA District 15 Championships dual sanction) to see if I could find anyone else who could remember the actual racing and not the socializing and water hyacinths. Everybody remembered them, but the Texas racers got facts confused between the two races since they were only two weeks apart forty five years ago. I guess I have to give them and myself some slack, but since I am writing this, and it happened in Baldy's front yard, what I say is what happened unless someone else steps up to say what they remember.

Most of the Texas racers came back to Baldy's for the final Lone Star Boat Racing Association and National Outboard Association dual sanction race in Texas for the year 1968. It was again a two day event. September 28 and 29, 1968. I have not found any newspaper articles about it. The short turnaround and the time spent to get the NOA World Championships up then the Lone Star Championships was probably too much for Baldy to handle. Especially with Clayton Elmer moving his family to Corpus Christi the week before the NOA World, plus everything else in the oil and gas work that needed Baldy's attention. The Barbon Estates real estate venture was still in it's infancy with surveying going on, but Alice Specialty and Emmord's Boat Barn required daily work.

Pulling off a second half of the 1968 National Outboard Association World Championships at this time of year was very successful, and Baldy relaxed a little bit before the next round. All the people from the Lone Star officials who had presided two weeks earlier knew what was coming and were prepared. The racers that wanted to come knew also. Likewise all the emergency personnel and Texas Parks and Wildlife personnel. Baldy had let everyone know in advance what was up, and in fact had planned for that same contingency when he organized everything for the World Championships. Even though we got to run some of the Lone Star races in between the NOA World Championships, the off and on again weather on Saturday two weeks earlier had prevented a full program of racing. Baldy's idea of the format worked perfectly to complete the NOA World for 1968, but all the Lone Star guys went for a redo for a full and complete Lone Star Championships two weeks later.

Therefore, September 28 and 29, 1968 a bunch more boats were pitted in Baldy's front yard. Bobby Wilson and Denny Henderson made the return trip from the North Texas area. The Houston, Port Arthur and Beaumont teams came back, and of course those from San Antonio, Rockport, and Corpus Christi area were there. We had mostly full fields in the smaller classes...not so much in D and F hydro, but D and F runabout were just about filled in Texas at that time. We had a step up and step down rule that allowed the smaller bore to step up to the next class and deflectors to step down to the class below. Therefore, we always had lots of boats competing, and the drivers could compete in several classes with less rigs. A guy with a B Merc deflector could race in A Runabout, A Hydro, B Runabout and B Hydro with one motor and two boats. A lot of drivers just had a lot of fun racing with less expenses, but seasoned drivers were able to win with the older less powerful motors with their starting skills and driving tactics.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-31-2014, 10:21 PM
The one race in particular that had me confused was the A Runabout. The other was B Runabout which Bobby Wilson remembered, but was not contested as a World Championship race. The A Runabout was, and Bobby won it. This is the race as I remember it. I could have happened at either race, except I don't remember the water hyacinths interfering at any other race. Problem is I don't remember Jerry Simison or Kay Harrison breathing down my neck, and I did not show up in the results of the NOA finals. But the hyacinths were moving like they did on the NOA finals on Sunday. So I concluded that since no one remembers, this race must have occurred two weeks later, even though what Floyd Hopkins posted in THE ROOSTERTAIL is nowhere close. So while I think Floyd might be in error, and I think this race might have occurred two weeks earlier, the only way it could have happened was I jumped the gun (most probably) and Jerry Simison was far back (highly unlikely.) Anyway, I only tell this because I can remember so vividly the race, but not the day. And I only remember racing against Bobby Wilson. He didn't remember it.

Got a good start that I remember in A Runabout. (might have been close and I was DSQ, but I always thought I was legal). I was surprised to jump out in front and get a good lead. Not being a good runabout driver, I pressed as hard as I could to keep from being caught. The bottom turn was kind of funky. It was a surveyed course, but the exit bouy had been surrounded by about a 60 foot diameter of water hyacinths. They had drifted in there and been hung up for almost an hour after the wind had died down. Baldy had conferred with the referee and said day rules were that the third bouy did not have to be cornered until notice came from the judges stand.

By the time the A Runabout race started, the water hyacinths had drifted clear of the whole course, although patches were still all around. When I broke into the lead, I did what I always did. I drove the whole race course without thinking about it. I thought Bobby Wilson would come up and pass me, but he couldn't. He would if he could. I remember being surprised that no one was coming close except Bobby. I was able to hold him off through the turns in which he was superior, but I had enough acceleration and top end that he couldn't lop off any distance through the corners.

Bobby and I were pretty much equal except I was in front, and I could choose the line into the corner. Bobby had been following me the whole race, and if I made one bobble, he would have gotten around. Except I wasn't making any bobbles. I wish Bobby would have remembered this race when I asked him, but he didn't. I don't know if he had planned it or it was a last minute maneuver, but he executed flawlessly.

Since I had the lead, we were running the whole race course, and nobody from the officials on down thought about the previous ruling regarding the final turn bouy from nearly an hour earlier, I ran the full course as had all the other boats following me. At the apex bouy in the middle of the turn, Bobby Wilson made his final turn for the finish line. This middle bouy was the one being used for the previous several heats when the ruling was made. Thus Bobby's shortcut sprint for the checkered flag was legal and he beat me by a few feet.

After that race, the course was declared open again. We had a good laugh about how Bobby played it. I wish he would have remembered because Baldy and I always laughed about it and thought how clever he was and I always wanted to know when he planned to make his move.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-01-2014, 08:59 PM
The race two weeks later in the same location has caused some fuzzy memories. Bobby Wilson rembered this story, but he thought it was from the NOA World. Joe Rome said he didn't see Jack Chance shooting at Jerry Simison's pit crew's pet because he, Louis and pit crew were in Mexico that Saturday night. Floyd Hopkins Roostertail ad only confuses the two weekends of racing at Baldy's. I'm going to tell what I have heard about this two week period of racing just for the stories and not the accuracy of when it happened. It did happen, but nobody can say for sure what weekend. I am almost 100 percent positive that these stories were the second weekend because of NOA World Championship rules.

In the Lone Star Boat Racing Association we allowed step ups as was common in many N.O.A. events. We also allowed step downs where a less powerful deflector motor could legally run in the next class below. Lots of racing with a minimum expense. A seasoned driver with good starting and driving skills could win. Others with limited budgets could get in a lot of racing with one motor and two boats.

Thus it was on Saturday, September 28 when Bobby Wilson entered his B Merc deflector in the A runabout class. Louis Williams, Bruce Nicholson, Freddie Goehl and Clayton Elmer were the top drivers in A Runabout in Texas at that time. I don't know why Bobby was running a deflector but he beat Louis in one heat. He also set a record. And the record was five miles faster than the old record which Louis Williams held. The race course was still surveyed and everything was in place for competition records. Louis was upset and told Bobby that there was no way he could have broken his (Louis's) record with a deflector motor, and especially by five miles per hour. Bobby, an easy going guy with a big grin, just said "I beat you. I don't know about the time."

Master Oil Racing Team
02-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Bobby Wilson says that after that race on Saturday, Louis went to Mexico. Joe Rome drove the 90 miles down Highway 44 and then 59 to Laredo. With Joe were Louis Williams, Alvin Roddy, Reles Le Blanc and Andy Weller. All you had to do then was pull up to the border crossing where IH 35 now ends, get a look over, then drive on. Inside Mexico...Nuevo Laredo...they found a young boy about 12 or 14 that would guide them to "Boys Town". Never been there myself...or even wanted to, but everyone in Texas new about Boy's Town. Joe, Louis and crowd were there just to see what it was about.

On their way there their kid guide pulled out a chewed on stogie and lit it up. It stunk up the car immediately and Andy Weller hollered "Put that stinkin cigar out you little &**^^%". That little Mexican boy whipped out a knife and stuck the point at Andy's face. He told Andy to apologize and as Joe Rome likes to tell the story tongue in cheek the Mexican kid says "My mother is a virgin". The cigar was disposed of and they continued on to Boy's Town.

After looking at a couple of sex shows they were headed out when some worn out prostitute started checking out Alvin Roddy. "Roddy" as everyone called him, was in his sixties at that time. Louis Williams, who is known for being close with his money, held up a twenty and pointed at Roddy. She was pulling him through the door as Roddy protested. He hung on for dear life to the door jam's and hollered "Louis...Joe...my friends....you are deserting me!" In the end they saved him.

They had told the kid that had shown them the way to Boy's Town to watch their car. When they came out, it was time to settle up. Louis gave him some cash, but the boy said he wanted more. Louis refused and got in the car. The boy picked up a brick to smash the windshield so Louis immediately got back out of the car. He went to negotiate. In the meantime he told Joe to get behind the driver's seat and when he gave the signal, to be ready to hit the gas.

Louis apologized to the kid...told him to put the brick down and asked him how much he should pay. When the kid dropped the brick, Louis took off for the open passenger door and jumped in and told Joe to hit it. Joe spun rocks, and as he looked in his rear view mirror he saw the kid run around to find something to throw. Joe saw him launch the brick, but he threw too hard and it landed in front of their car. Joe says he has been to Mexico twice. "The first time...and the last time".

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Bobby Wilson says that after that race on Saturday, Louis went to Mexico. Joe Rome drove the 90 miles down Highway 44 and then 59 to Laredo. With Joe were Louis Williams, Alvin Roddy and Roy Christian. All you had to do then was pull up to the border crossing where IH 35 now ends, get a look over, then drive on. Inside Mexico...Nuevo Laredo...they found a young boy about 12 or 14 that would guide them to "Boys Town". Never been there myself...or even wanted to, but everyone in Texas new about Boy's Town. Joe, Louis and crowd were there just to see what it was about.

On their way there their kid guide pulled out a chewed on stogie and lit it up. It stunk up the car immediately and Roy Christian hollered "Put that stinkin cigar out you little &**^^%". That little Mexican boy whipped out a knife and stuck the point at Roy's face. He told Roy to apologize and as Joe Rome likes to tell the story tongue in cheek the Mexican kid says "My mother is a virgin". The cigar was disposed of and they continued on to Boy's Town.

After looking at a couple of sex shows they were headed out when some worn out prostitute started checking out Alvin Roddy. "Roddy" as everyone called him, was in his sixties at that time. Louis Williams, who is known for being close with his money, held up a twenty and pointed at Roddy. She was pulling him through the door as Roddy protested. He hung on for dear life to the door jam's and hollered "Louis...Joe...my friends....you are deserting me!" In the end they saved him.

They had told the kid that had shown them the way to Boy's Town to watch their car. When they came out, it was time to settle up. Louis gave him some cash, but the boy said he wanted more. Louis refused and got in the car. The boy picked up a brick to smash the windshield so Louis immediately got back out of the car. He went to negotiate. In the meantime he told Joe to get behind the driver's seat and when he gave the signal, to be ready to hit the gas.

Louis apologized to the kid...told him to put the brick down and asked him how much he should pay. When the kid dropped the brick, Louis took off for the open passenger door and jumped in and told Joe to hit it. Joe spun rocks, and as he looked in his rear view mirror he saw the kid run around to find something to throw. Joe saw him launch a rock, but he threw too hard and it landed in front of their car. Joe says he has been to Mexico twice. "The first time...and the last time".
Way to go get away driver Joe!

crewman060
02-02-2014, 06:47 AM
I agree with Joe,I also have been the first time and the last time.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
After Joe and I got to be good friends and he went to races with us that Louis Williams didn't attend, one of the things Joe always did was have me drive around whatever town we were racing in and find a parts store. Then Joe would go in and talk "parts business" with the guys behind the counter. I just stood to the side and listened. One of the things Louis Williams did when he had the chance was to go to the local funeral homes and talk "undertaker business" with the guy behind the coffin. Joe stood to the side and listened. Well, that was one of the things they did on their trip to Nuevo Laredo before Boys Town. They went to "Sanchez Funerales y Ambulances".

Everyone probably knows that there is sometimes a lot of superstition down in South Louisiana. With all the swamps, gators, snakes, ancient oaks draped in moss and some dark, dark nights with hoot owls, it seems reasonable to have a little spookiness deep down inside. Joe saw Reles LeBlanc's face pale and take on a look of unease when he walked close to a door and saw a real human skull with a red light behind the eyes staring down at him. That was the embalming room, and when the red light was on, they were working on a corpse.

The owner of the funeral home gave them all a tour and Louis noticed that he kept the body preservative (formaldehyde or whatever they used) inside an old refridgerator. Louis asked him why he did that and the director's reply was "Oh....you know. The rats!" Louis asked Mr. Sanchez what he charged, and Mr. Sanchez took out a pencil and wrote on the wall and told Louis "1,300.00 without fluid and 1,500.00 with fluid."

Master Oil Racing Team
02-02-2014, 03:37 PM
The next morning Louis was still bothered by that record Bobby set, and he set out to find Bobby in his pits. Louis told Bobby "You beat me fair and square, and I have no problem with that, but that record can't be right". Louis knew Bobby was one of the best racers in the country wherever he ran, and only someone of his caliber could have beat Louis with that B deflector and everyone in the pits knew that too. It was just that record that galled Louis. Bobby knew it was eating at Louis and he said "A record is not worth our friendship Louis. I'm going to the judges stand and tell them I will not accept it. I think there must have been some kind of mistake." And before Louis could say anything, the PA system broke the quiet in the pits that Sunday morning. Referee Homer Alford announced that there had been a mistake in calculating the competition record in A runabout the day before and that Bobby Wilson didn't set a new B Runabout record. That was a relief to both Louis and Bobby, and the matter ended right there.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-02-2014, 06:32 PM
This is Corpus Christi Caller Times sports editor's writeup of the Lone Star Championships.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-07-2014, 08:55 PM
I found this ad Floyd Hopkins put in THE ROOSTERTAIL and concluded that the race between Bobby Wilson and Louis Williams had to have occurred during the Lone Star Championships that were scheduled in between the NOA Nationals. Joe Rome had always told me he wasn't at Baldy's to see Jack Chance take pot shots at Jerry Simison's mad weasel because he was in Mexico. But while Joe is very good at remembering events , names and what happened, he is not good at dates except for one particular date in 1965. Bobby Wilson told me in detail about what happened with his brother in law at the World Championships, and two weeks later when he said Louis went to Mexico. So I have to conclude that Joe was in Mexico like he originally thought and...aw who heck knows. All these stories from the races occurred at Baldy's within a two week period. I talked to everyone from Billy Seebold to one of my pit men who were there and no one can remember what happened which weekend except for the water hyacinths.

Neither Clayton nor I remember any memorable racing events during the second weekend, but we both did pretty well. We spent a lot of time with Floyd Hopkins and helped him launch his prop making career.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Our racing was done for the season. Bud and I headed back to college at San Marcos. Other pit men went back to Alice High School and Texas A & I at Kingsville. Two of our girl pit crew went back to Incarnate Word in San Antonio and the youngest back to high school in Kingsville. We would be getting back to our studies while Baldy planned ahead.

Baldy always knew the value of props in the sense that there was much more there than the eye could see. To most people looking at a propeller, they just saw how many blades there were and if the diameter of one was greater than the other, they would not notice any difference otherwise.

Having served in the navy as a carpenter's mate first class and been with a crew whose chief knew how to hop up a crew boat to make it the fastest one in the harbor in Saipan during World War II, Baldy knew a propeller was the last key to get the horsepower down to where it counted. He had seen where the last couple of months working with Floyd Hopkins had gotten us. And, at the same time, Baldy paid Floyd to do a lot of experimenting. They helped each other out a lot. Baldy was basically the R & D for Floyd's early work. Whenever Floyd got a bunch of new props he and Baldy wanted to try, (and we were doing this for five classes, runabout and hydro with different gear ratio lower units) we would go testing. In those days, we didn't test during the winter. We had accomplished a lot during the previous year however, and Floyd, Baldy, Jack , Clayton and I got to be good friends.

jrome
02-08-2014, 07:12 AM
The certain date in 1965 was when we move location of Stafford Auto Supply. That date will hurt me till die. THAT RACE WAS ONE OF THE LARGEST RACES IN NOA HISTORY.I can remember putting fel pro gaskets on the shelf and wishing I was there.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-08-2014, 08:49 PM
I knew Joe would know exactly when I meant, but it bums him out, so I rarely mention it.

Back at college Bud and I were getting settled in with our new friends at Harris Hall. Joe and I would get together for lunch at THE TEXAN, but in the afternoons and evenings Bud and I spent time at Harris Hall if we were not in our apartment.

Ralph Peterson lived at Harris and I took Bud up to meet him and we had met his roommate Halle (pronounced Holly) Rea or Rhea. Although his family was from Houston, they had been living in Beirut, Lebanon for awhile. Halle's Dad worked in oilfield geophysics and used thumper trucks and explosive charges to bounce seismic waves to find potential faults and structures deep in the ground that could trap oil. They set up sound recorders and charts at points all throughout the North African deserts to pick up seismic returns. They employed sappers to go along with their surveying crews to detect buried land mines and they staked the paths they would take. To venture outside the flagged pathway could mean getting blown up. Halle's brother was a Green Beret in Viet Nam at that time. Halle and his mother were on the last ship to leave Beirut when the war broke out in 1967. Just before that time Beirut was a crown jewel on the Mediterranean and was one of the hot spots of the rich and famous. It has never returned to its former glory, and probably never will.

I can't remember who else roomed with who in the next three adjacent rooms, but Bud and I met all and became friends and hung out with most of them.

Chris Pastuch was from Rosharon just south of Houston and not only was a country and western music fan, but he owned a Camaro of the same year as Bud, but was blue instead of white. They became instant friends. The drag raced and did a lot of things together.

Mike Stovall was from Hearne, Texas not far from Bryan and College Station where Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch had a marine business. "Stovall" as we called him wore a cowboy hat and boots, and also preferred country and western music, and also had a lot in common with Bud.

Elliot's room was next door to Ralph and Halle's, but I can't remember who was his roommate. Elliot was probably a genius. He was smarter than anyone else I knew at that time, but he was kind of complex. He was a combination of laid back and antisocial. He liked certain people but did not like crowds or to be around too many people he did not know. Elliot was the first person I knew who could play a guitar very well. When I met him a few weeks after coming to Southwest Texas the guys in the four rooms all wanted him to play Alice's Restaurant. They kept it up until he played a few bars for me and Bud, but that was it. I never heard any more after that. Probably that first week that Elliot was in Harris Hall, he played the whole song to our newfound friends to break the ice. He didn't like to play Alice's Restaurant because it was to simple and takes to long to play and he would get bored. That was the first time I had ever heard of the song, didn't know who Arlo Guthrie was, and so went out and bought the album to see what the fuss was about. Been a fan ever since, and think of Elliot most times when I play it. If I'm at home to this day, I like to play Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving.

There was a guy named Danny who might have been Elliot's roommate. Anyway he was tall, dark, and thin but very broad-shouldered. He lived and worked on a farm about twenty miles or so from Karnes City, Texas where Barth's Restaurant was. Danny was the first of his family to be able to go to college. He was very friendly to all of us, but kind of quiet. He was one of those guys though that you knew would watch your back. He did not talk as loud as a lot of the crowd, but he felt he was a part of us and was proud and in awe at the same time to be in a crowd of college guys that accepted as one of them. We didn't think of it like that, but I think he did. One time another guy was in one of the rooms with us and he asked Danny where he was from. Danny told him "Near Karnes City." This loudmouth was from up north and didn't know Danny, the area or the accent. He replied "Corn City? That must be a town full of smart people." It was kind of funny at the time, but it wasn't after Danny flunked out after one semester. We were all very mad and thought he should have been given another chance. There was something that happened with one professor that I can't remember anymore.

Geral (correct--no D) Malmstrom was from Brady, Texas just west of the Hill Country and the eastern edge of what turns into West Texas. It is around 140 miles northwest of San Marcos. He and his family lived on a farm outside of town. Geral was borderline crazy. He was not anywhere insane or anything like that, but a lot of you guys know people who are always looking to do off the wall stuff for a laugh. That was Geral. It was uncommon for Geral to be serious. I'm not sure I ever saw him mad. But the way his brain worked, Geral saw and said things a little bit different from the rest of us. He would do things like what happened later on in the second semester. Going down Guadalupe, the main drive to campus, he just stopped his car in the middle of the road at the train tracks. Then he turned around to look at Chris Pastuch and his girlfriend in the backseat with his snarky laugh and grin. Just then the passenger train between San Antonio and Austin swooshed by. The cross bars had never come down, and the warning lights never turned on. Geral's offbeat personality just save the lives of himself, Chris and their girlfriends.

The last guy I think was named Jerry. He was the only one we didn't hang out with except in the dorm. Geral and I saw and talked to him though one time at a park in Houston where he was from. He lived off of Dairy Ashford. I remember that because it was a weird name, and it is also one of the longest roads on the west side of Houston. It was out of the city limits at that time. He claimed he was a magician, and I guess some of the guys in Harris Hall might have seen a trick or two, but Bud and I never did. He had a great big trunk at the foot of his bed that was like you see on one of the old black and white movies of rich ladies having hauled on board a ship sailing to Europe. He opened it it sometimes and he showed us all kinds of props he would use in his magic work. Like I said, he never performed any in front of me or Bud. He had short, dark blonde and very curly hair. He talked loud and a lot and did a lot of laughing. Think of Herb Tarlik on "WKRP CINCINATTI". We got along fine with him, but he was different. The thing I picture in my mind when I think about him is what he wore. He always had on checkered bell bottom pants and long sleeve shirts with stripes. I have never been a fashion guy, but he looked kind of weird. He also put on a record one afternoon with Judy Collins singing "Both Sides Now". A bunch of us were in Elliot's or Ralph's room and he said I have this record ya'll have to listen to. We went a couple of doors down and he put it on. That's what I still remember when I hear that song. It was a few weeks later before it started playing on the radio. Who knows, maybe there was something to his magic stuff.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-09-2014, 07:04 AM
I woke up in the middle of the night and figured it out. Back in 1968, AM was the dominant band. Most cars only came with AM radio. Only big population centers had FM stations. Jerry was from Houston and it would naturally have one or more FM stations. Only FM had the quality of sound that High Fidelity fans liked, and they liked the ever increasing stereo sound on vinyl albums. The stations primarily were jazz stations, but many started playing "underground music" at night, and had some really laid back DJ's. It was on the FM radio that Jerry first heard Judy Collins, then it later became popular enough to move over into the AM band where all the pop music was. Hendrix, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival and some others had already made it to AM, but there were many bands that never did.

Somebody told us about 104.5 in San Antonio that played underground music at night. We found it on the dial of that monstrous music cabinet we brought from Bud's house. It was there we first heard Spirit, Greatful Dead, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Mike Bloomfield, and many others that we had never heard of before. It completely changed the type of albums I would buy. I started buying as much as I could afford of these new artists. Bud grew up on country & western, but we all listened to pop and underground music.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Of the friends we had made only Joe Rome, Bud Turcotte, Chris Pastuch and myself had cars. Joe bought his own gas, but Bud, Chris and I had credit cards and the billing address was back home. So we had plenty of gas to go wherever we wanted. And gas was cheap to. Down Guadalupe close to the Sonic was a Shamrock station (only Shamrock in the name then) and if you filled your tank up, at twenty five cents per gallon, you could get a tall light green glass. That's how Bud and I got our glasses to supplement our dwindling supply of disposable cups.

Some of us decided to take a road trip out to Devil's Backbone. Hays County was dry back then, and somebody told us just across the county line close to Devil's Backbone was a liquor store. We decided to check it out. It was down Ranch Road 12 west, then straight on 32 after Ranch Road 12 made a right to the north. I don't remember stopping at the store, but we might have. We drove on a few miles further to a scenic overlook and parked. My red and white Dodge Polara was the only one we could all fit in. Geral Malmstrom was in a photography class at the time so he took his twin lens Yashica D reflex camera with him everywhere he went to pick up shots for photo class assignments. He shot 120 black and white film with a speed of probably around 100 ASA or so.

Geral is not in the photo of course ,but on top is Bud Turcotte. Left to right are Chris Pastuch, Mike Stovall, me, and Ralph Peterson wearing Stovall's cowboy hat.

The second photo I took this past December close to 45 years later. I was standing where Geral was when he took that one of our group back then.

ADD: The pictures posted in reverse order. I keep forgetting the program does that.

ADD: Looks a little different because Geral was using a standard lens which was probably 80mm for that camera and was the bottom lens that the images actually went through. The camera was held around the waist to chest and focused with a rangefinder lens looking straight down, hence a low angle.

I was using a wide angle which moves everything back. And he was shooting up a little more because of how he held the camera, and I was shooting down to get the picnic table. That's about where the trash can was that Bud was standing on.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-09-2014, 11:31 AM
As far as I know this was the first picture taken of me wearing a mustache. Never been without it since. It must have been just before the Lone Star Championships I started growing because when I was home, Baldy told me he had put black shoe polish on his mustache when he was in the navy. I have never seen a picture, but the way he described it his mustache was several inches long on each side and twisted tight and turned up at the ends.

Bud Turcotte, Geral Malmstrom and I decided to have a contest to see who could grow the best mustache. There was to be a big dance held at Lake McQueeny about twenty five miles southeast of San Marcos. Lake McQueeny was a very small lake upon which many Lone Star Boat Racing Association races had been held. They quit running on it just a few years before I started and I wanted to see what that famous lake looked like. Plus we thought we might meet some girls. I was still dating Ginger and that was a primary reason Bud and I chose San Marcos. Until we got to meet some girls on our own, we figured I could still go out with Ginger and Bud's sister Susan and her friend, both in our pit crew, could help Bud with some dates. We didn't know at the time that we would not only be forbidden to see Susan and Jeanie, but there was not way that the University was going to allow us to go out with any other girl. There was a restricted list of who was allowed to see any of the girls, and it was generally only one or both of the parents or legal guardian.

That meant I could only see Ginger when she went home, and I would have to drive to Houston. So we went to this pavilion on Lake McQueeny to attend the big dance. Geral and Bud tried to coax growth out of their mustaches by the time of the dance, but gave up and shaved them off. Bud's was never more than wispy. Geral's was much better but it was so light and fine that it was all but invisible unless you were standing right in front of him. Mine was coming on good, but needed an extra week to really develop so I used Baldy's trick and darkened it a little with black shoe polish. I used it sparingly just to give a darker brown look. In fact, I probably used brown rather than black like Baldy. I didn't tell anyone, but I would have won anyway. If Ralph or Jim entered the contest it might have ended differently.

ADD: Just found these pictures 9/15/14.

These photos were taken at Canyon Lake sometime just before the group shot by the trash can. In one of the photos you can see me without my mustache and was probably the last one taken before I grew it. Some one else was also taking pictures because in one frame you can see Gerel lining up a shot with his Yashica D twin lens reflex camera.

Mark brought the Continental flatbottom Baldy bought from Red Adair up to San Marcos one weekend. We went to Canyon Lake about five miles past the lookout at Devil's Backbone where the previous b&W photo was taken. Just like the earlier norther that blew in the first day of the continuance of the 1968 World Championships at Baldy's, we had another norther blow in that weekend. It was colder and overcast, but no big rain. We found a launching ramp and there was not another sole on the lake. Water had not been impounded on Canyon Lake that long, and there were no houses, piers or anything to be seen. None of us had ever been on the lake before, but the body of water in front of us was huge. As long as we stayed within sight of the launching ramp we should be OK. The water was rough, but Red ran it as a marathon boat on Offats Bayou and and Clear Lake near his home, so that was no problem. It was a heavy stable race boat. It was fitted with a 427 L88 Chevy engine and had wet exhausts so two people could sit in the back. Red probably used it more for entertaining his non racing friends on Clear Lake that racing it.

Then we ran into a problem. Don't know if it was the cold and humidity or what, but the engine would not fire. Nothing Mark could do worked. We didn't have any tools to speak of because we were not there to work on it. Mark let it set a couple of times, but finally he wore the battery out. All we got out of it was a photo session. Ironically, a couple of years later a Texas Highway Patrolman who was a friend of mechanic Steve flipped and destroyed it on Canyon Lake. It is a deep and cold lake. Last I heard the engine was still on the bottom.

First photo: Left is Gerel taking our picture then me then Ralph Peterson.

Second Photo: L-R Ralph Peterson and Bud Turcotte.

Third photo: L-R My brother Mark, Ralph and Bud.

Fourth photo: L-R Ralph, Mark, and Bud

There's another guy bending over in the first photo looking down by the back of the motor, but I don't know who that is. Could be one of Mark's friends that drove up from Alice with him.

jrich
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Reading your post about your friends in college and the name Halle Rea caught my eye. Back in the early 2000's we were leasing property for waterfowl hunting from a rice farmer in Chambers County, Texas by the name of Halle Rea......coincidence?

Master Oil Racing Team
02-13-2014, 06:44 AM
How old was he Joe? The Halle we went to school with was seems like around five nine, maybe taller, thin and dark hair. He would be about 63 right now. Neither the first or last name is a common one for Texas. Could be the same guy.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Now that the racing was over, Baldy was selling all the old motors and getting ready for the new Konigs. They usually came with something a little bit different. Mostly exhaust systems, and sometimes ignition. But most important was that the rotary valves and housings were more reliable to keep from a valve from sucking in and stopping on the intake port or belts riding one way or another without a lot of testing to true them up. The occentric to adjust the belts was made good about this time.

Baldy was getting ready for the next year, and talking with Scott Smith about what was coming up. Scott was very good at keeping Baldy informed. Baldy was also a very good customer of Overseas Dealers at that time.

Having just gotten in to the retail Outboard boat and motor sails and motorcycles, Baldy and Joe Hendricks were learning a new business. I was only just a bystander hearing what they talked about. Baldy and Joe talked about a "floor plan". That was the terminology I think might come from car dealers. Basically, it was about figuring out how much in inventory of boats, motors, and motorcycles they would need over a given period of time. It might be over three months if there was a huge turnover, but I suspect it was six months or more. In that "Floor Plan" Baldy and Joe would borrow money from the local bank to purchase the boats, outboards and motorcyles they wanted in inventory, and to display in the dealership. So when someone came in and saw what they liked, they could buy it or arrange payment right then. The idea was that the bank would fork up the money, or guarantee payment to the manufacturer in order to land the boats, motors etc on the floor for customers to see.

Every sale was processed and during the month, the boats, outboard motors and motorcycles that were sold were paid for with whatever interest the banks held on the inventory, and the manufacturers were always ready for the next shipment. I never saw exactly what the "Floor Plan" looked like on paper, but it was changing continually as equipment came in, was inventoried, paid for by the bank, set on the showroom floor or in back, sold, paid for by the customer, Emmord's pay the bank for the merchandise, plus floor plan costs, and so on....all around again.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-14-2014, 09:25 PM
This is the ad that Baldy placed in the November/December issue of The Roostertail.

Smokin' Joe
02-15-2014, 08:36 AM
My parents were a small Mercury dealer in Ky. across the border from Knoxville, the hotbed of Claude Fox's NOA. My parents mainly sold office equipment and TV sets,
Mercury, Glaspar and Lone Star were a sideline. I was the Mercury mechanic at age 15, factory trained by age 16. Without a friendly banker (Mr. Bailey, who actually was a
relative of my mother's father's mother) and floor-planning there would have been no boat-motor dealership. No one in that era could fork up the money to stock expensive
items like outboards and cars. We usually had one or two motors on display at any given time, and occasionally a Lone Star boat (Lone Star al boats were cheap). When someone
wanted a Glaspar then I or another employee drove to the factory in Nashville and hauled it home.

Now that the racing was over, Baldy was selling all the old motors and getting ready for the new Konigs. They usually came with something a little bit different. Mostly exhaust systems, and sometimes ignition. But most important was that the rotary valves and housings were more reliable to keep from a valve from sucking in and stopping on the intake port or belts riding one way or another without a lot of testing to true them up. The occentric to adjust the belts was made good about this time.

Baldy was getting ready for the next year, and talking with Scott Smith about what was coming up. Scott was very good at keeping Baldy informed. Baldy was also a very good customer of Overseas Dealers at that time.

Having just gotten in to the retail Outboard boat and motor sails and motorcycles, Baldy and Joe Hendricks were learning a new business. I was only just a bystander hearing what they talked about. Baldy and Joe talked about a "floor plan". That was the terminology I think might come from car dealers. Basically, it was about figuring out how much in inventory of boats, motors, and motorcycles they would need over a given period of time. It might be over three months if there was a huge turnover, but I suspect it was six months or more. In that "Floor Plan" Baldy and Joe would borrow money from the local bank to purchase the boats, outboards and motorcyles they wanted in inventory, and to display in the dealership. So when someone came in and saw what they liked, they could buy it or arrange payment right then. The idea was that the bank would fork up the money, or guarantee payment to the manufacturer in order to land the boats, motors etc on the floor for customers to see.

Every sale was processed and during the month, the boats, outboard motors and motorcycles that were sold were paid for with whatever interest the banks held on the inventory, and the manufacturers were always ready for the next shipment. I never saw exactly what the "Floor Plan" looked like on paper, but it was changing continually as equipment came in, was inventoried, paid for by the bank, set on the showroom floor or in back, sold, paid for by the customer, Emmord's pay the bank for the merchandise, plus floor plan costs, and so on....all around again.

Smokin' Joe
02-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Very interesting Joe. Where was that picture taken? Looks like from a magazine article, but same scenario as your parent's shop.

Wayne, the girls were selling high school yearbook ads. The photo appeared in the 1961 Middlesboro HighSchool yearbook.
There's part of a Mark 58A to the left, the Mark 78 in the middle was my dad's racing motor. We'd used the Merc 800 on
the right to break 60 mph in NOA unlimited class (not much of an excitement for an alky driver!).

Master Oil Racing Team
02-21-2014, 10:11 PM
That would be plenty excitement in 1961 Joe. I could tell by the dots that the picture looked like it came from a publication, but it wasn't cropped like in a magazine. It took me awhile to get to the motors. Those girls must have sold a lot of ads.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2014, 08:46 PM
The boat racing was done for the year. We would still have some work to do at the shop, but weekends were now more of choice than scheduled.

Gerel Malstrom had the look of a surfer, but he had never smelled salt air before. I called Ginger and told her that I would like to come to Houston to see her, and if she had a friend to come with her, I would like to bring a friend of mine. She said O.K. and so Gerel and I finished classes and headed to Houston.

Our main goal was to surf "Surfside"southeast of Houston. Gerel had no idea about Surfside or Galveston surf, but I had told him about what I knew and that Surfside was where all the surfers from Houston went. All that I had heard about it was that it was a real hotspot. The surf down where we were at Port Aransas was allright, but it was not smooth like the California coastline....straight an with a good break. Our surf was choppy. Most of the time the waves were two, maybe three feet. Sometimes they might get five or six feet, but they always closed early. A good long line of surf would chop two or three places. Surfside turned out to be just a hype scam. Houston surfers just listened to the Beach Boys, spent money on boards, and went to the beach just to meet girls. When Gerel and I stopped at a surf shop to ask them exactly how to get to Surfside, nobody knew. We finally figured out how to get there down there, and we camped out on the beach. We found out the next morning about how great the surf was.

ADD: Found and posted these pictures 9/15/14

Here is a picture of Gerel sitting on the "gunnels" of Mr. Clay. When I was growing up and my parents drove sixty or seventy miles or more down Padre Island, beached and salvaged shrimpboats in different stages of decomposition were a fairly common sight. This one in 1968 was beached not long. If I remember right, the engine was still in it, but everything worth anything was stripped. Most of the boats are not as high and dry as this one, and they are normally laid over on the port or starboard side, and lots more rust and decay.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Early Saturday morning I latched my Smith & Gordon (Gordie) surfboard to the racks on top of my Dodge Polara and Gerel and I headed north to Galveston where we knew there was surf. When we got there, we didn't know where to go. I drove south down the main road along the seawall looking for a likely place. It was overcast, miserable, and on the verge of raining. Surfers generally don't mind weather if the surf is up, and although it wasn't great...we didn't see any, and to we didn't know where to stop. The surf was semi...semi. Not so great, but better than Surfside, so we finally found a place to pull over, get my Gordie off the roof and we went down the seawall to the water. I was trying to teach Gerel how to surf, but he kept pearling, and the waves weren't that great, the water was kind of cold, so I thought I would take a turn and show Gerel how to time the wave and swim to catch it.

As I was floating on the Gordie and looking back for the best wave my right leg scraped us against something. I immediately looked forward toward the beach and I saw a piece of barnacle encrusted steel tubing in the trough of the wave. Then I saw another. When you are surfing, you never stay in the same place. You always move left or right from the shoreline depending upon which direction the tide is moving. In this case, the tide moved us southward to where we were on top of a rotted off steel pier. I told Gerel we need to get out of the water. No wonder no one was surfing there. When I got to the narrow sand beach, my right leg was covered with blood from the sharp barnacles I scraped against.

After all that, it was time to head back to Houston and get ready for our dates. We spent the night on the beach and so were coated with fine beach sand and glossed over with salt water. We needed to clean up before we went to dinner and dancing with the girls. I drove to an Enco or Esso station, (can't remember which) and filled up my Dodge. I asked for the key for the bathroom, and Gerel and I went in together. We had a beach towel that we stuffed in the door jam at the bottom, turned on the water and proceeded to take a splashing shower from the water that came out of the faucet. That's the only time I ever took a "shower" with another man, and it was crazy Jerel's idea. He wasn't a funny bunny, and I knew that, or I wouldn't have done it. We didn't have much money. We had to save all we had to show the girls and good time. But we had to clean the salt out of our hair, off our bodies and become presentable. We were in and out in just a few minutes but when Gerel snatched up the towel, there was about two inches of water in that bathroom. We were mostly dressed by then and only had to pull on our pants and escape. We got away clean, and our dates never even heard about what we had done.

I took this picture of Gerel a couple of years later when I was taking the same college course he did. Gerel actually had taken pictures of our surf adventure, but they were lost when Hurricane Celia blew Baldy's house away. Gerel is the one that was standing behind the camera for the photo taken at Devil's Backbone, and that was part of his photography class. His photos were much better than mine. Gerel ended up pitting for us in college and Joe Rome will most likely have some comments when I get to that part. Here is a picture of Gerel.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-10-2014, 11:01 PM
There was a lot of good music going on at this time. One of my all time favorites was HEY JUDE by the Beatles. One of the most unusual, and maybe one of the first music videos (which I cannot stand) was FIRE by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown. I can remember the number three hit of that time THOSE WERE THE DAYS by Mary Hopkins because of Ginger. Mary Hopkins was, I believe, the first or one of the first that the Beatles signed to their new Abbey Road publishing company. Bud Turcotte and I both loved the song I'M A GIRL WATCHER by O' Kay sions, and MIDNIGHT CONFESSIONS by the grass roots were in the top of the charts.

Number nine hit in 1968 was a girl from Beaumont. I had never heard of Janis Joplin until "Piece of My Heart" with Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company hit the charts. WHITE ROOM by Cream was number twenty two, ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER, a cover of a Dylan song was number 20, and Dion's ABRAHAM, MARTIN AND JOHN was just hitting the charts. Soon Judi Collins song BOTH SIDES NOW would be moving up. Creedence Clearwater Revival had a hit song SUZI Q. On that same album from San Francisco though was one of the best blues songs ever, and a cover from another artist I can't recall. CCR's version of "I PUT A SPELL ON YOU" is one to don the headphones and lay back to listen type song.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Elections were coming up right around the corner. Hubert Humphrey, from Minnesota was selected as the democrat candidate after Lyndon B. Johnson from Texas pulled his name out of the hat. Women's lib was kicking off, but mostly it was not known at the time.

The Summer Olympics in Mexico City had just concluded and there was a lot of controversy over two finalists in the 200 meter dash. Tommy Smith and John Carlos raised their arms with clinched fists during the playing of the "Star Spangled Banner". It was a spark in the "Black Power" movement that had both positive and negative results.

October 20, 1968 Jackie Kennedy married Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis. At the end of October President Lyndon B. Johnson announced the end of bombing in North Viet Nam. "Boy Wonder" George McNamara played the pieces like it was a chess game. He was such a spectacular know-it-all the White House went with him rather than the military. That's why LBJ did not seek a second term. He knew the cards were against him on the election, but the cards McNamara dealt below the deck meant that thousands more would be killed or injured before hostilities ended.

Richard M. Nixon won, but not with a majority. He won with 43.4 % of the vote. Hubert Humphrey was second with 42.7% and George Wallace was the spoiler with 13.5%. The northern democrats and southern democrats split enough votes to give the win to Nixon with less than fifty percent. (que lastima).

A couple of the lasting quotes that came about in the waning moments of 1968 were "Book 'em Dano" from Jack Lord in Hawaii 5-0, and ""Open the doors HAL" in 2001 Space Odyssey.

Some of the most popular TV shows were LAUGH IN, GOMER PYLE, USMC, BONANZA, MAYBERRY RFD, FAMILY AFFAIR, GUNSMOKE, JULIA, DEAN MARTIN SHOW, HERE'S LUCY AND BEVERLY HILLBILLY'S.

Bud and I didn't have a television in our apartment, and none of the guys we hung out with had one either. Music was what was important, and the music was what followed us. Whatever we did, wherever we went, there was always music...either blaring out the rattling speakers in our cars.....the compromised speakers in our furniture cabinet at the apartment or some real music on campus, with a down and heavy bass.

The late fall of 1968 was a time for us to settle in, and grind our way to the end of the semester. Baldy never called to check up on me, nor did Louis Edgar or Bud's Mom Joyce call to check up on him. We were left on our own. Bud and I were pretty much free to do what we wanted then, except there was the Lone Star Boat Racing Association banquet coming up , and I would be there. Bud would not.

Ketzer
03-22-2014, 04:27 AM
Great start, Wayne. Oddly, I've been working on a story about my father, Steve Ketzer, that, after a few dodges that include everything from recipes on how to make candy cane cookies, four tortillas and Knotts Berry Farm, ends up being about boat racing--around 25 pages, thus far.

ProHydroRacer
03-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Great start, Wayne. Oddly, I've been working on a story about my father, Steve Ketzer, that, after a few dodges that include everything from recipes on how to make candy cane cookies, four tortillas and Knotts Berry Farm, ends up being about boat racing--around 25 pages, thus far.

Great start? Where you been for the last 4 years?

Ketzer
03-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Well, uh, I kinda got busy. Retired as an inspector with the FAA (I have no opinion on the Malaysian aircraft), and after 21 years in Alaska, my wife was fairly adamant about moving some place to "get warm," so we re-positioned to Hernando, Florida, which resulted in two drives across the North American Continent, one in my old F-350 Ford and the other in her 4-Runner with her and dogs, fixing up the new digs, etc., etc., and since I've been most busy fighting armadillos, moles, bugs, spiders, mowing lawn, whacking back the swamp, and picking up after several huge live oaks that rain leaves, Spanish moss, nuts and seeds. I'm about ready to move back to Alaska, but finding a new mate in Florida is difficult--the odds are good, but the goods are odd. Sorry I haven't been keeping up, but, WRITE ON!

Steve Litzell
03-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Wayne, Thanks for all that you do. You are now in to the era that i stared racing and the music that you refer to is spot on for me. By 68 I had been racing for a year, six months of that was spent racing in my first classes, B stock runabout and Hydro. While testing one day, a friend by the name of Bill Hosler, let me take a ride in his C hydro. It was an old Marchetti with a FC Konig. That was all it took for me to sell the B Merc and by my first A Loop from Hap Mulvaney. It was game on from that time on for me. Thanks for the memories as i was at that time in High School, going with the prettiest RED HEAD in school and racing with top notch guy's Like Nicholson, Cooper , Parker, donald and Simison in A runabout with Dortch and others to give me training! Ah The day's of past, Thanks Steve

Master Oil Racing Team
03-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks Steve L. I enjoy every minute of it. I just wish I could find everything I'm looking for at the time so I don't have to stop and start all the time. Sometimes I have to work though and I just got in a few hours ago from a 28 hour stint running a tool on a drilling. Rig. 28 hours on a 2500 foot well. Unbelievable.

Steve K......glad to hear you writing about your Dad. Our Dad's were good friends and mine always thought that your Dad was the inspiration for the cartoon hydro driver with a big mustache for one of the early 70's T shirt at Alex. Several years ago you sent me a CD or DVD with photos, but I never could open it. I took it to Joe's and other friends to see if it was just my equipment, but no one was able to. Would it be possible for you to try again maybe while you are writing about your Dad? We always enjoyed his company.

Ketzer
03-23-2014, 11:00 AM
I recently tried it again, Wayne, had Steve Sr.'s old slides copied on a flash drive. Mostly, these are pictures of the Ketzer Racing Team and friends, Bill Van, Stan and Butch Leavendusky, others, and the pits at St. Louis, Alex, and the Jerry Waldman Memorial Cup held at Diamondhead in Hot Springs. I'll post them in the Encyclopaedia section under "Ketzer Racing Team." It'll probably take a few or more posts to get them on. Good stories. I am re-inspired.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks Steve....you start that up and I will add some to it. Including a picture of that T shirt and what my Dad thought about it.

Ketzer
03-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Wayne, I got on intending to add to my thread, but ended up on yours and starting from the top, so I'm still a few years behind. Amazing what shared experiences boat racers have, from airplanes to oysters. Makes sense, I guess. And I shared your apprehension of the power on stall, especially when one of the wings fell over. I was an airworthiness inspector with the FAA, so I wasn't required to keep my pilot's license current, although I got in much stick time with my operations compadres. Still, about to hit 50, I decided I wanted to solo again and joined the aero club at Eielson AFB where I flew the military version of the old CE-172. It wasn't much of a challenge as the runway at Eielson was (is) so long, it was used as an alternate landing site for the space shuttle, but was never needed--you could almost land and stop on the numbers and certainly do a few touch-and-goes before you reached the end. Landing at Fairbanks International and Ft. Wainwright was a piece of cake, too. I guess I could have ventured out into the bush and tried landing on riverbeds like a real bush pilot, but I had investigated too many accidents out there to temp fate.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
I have really enjoyed the thread you started about your Dad, his life, and racing career Steve. We had a lot of the same interests. I was not the marble champion like you were, but I remember that stuff, along with the baseball cards, etc. I had a Willy May's card and a McGregor glove, Willy Mays edition. Still have it. My son used it when he played Little League.

While cleaning out, refileing and straitening up my darkroom I was filing negatives when I found some negatives of our boat trailers I haven't seen in many years. The photos must have been lost during Hurricane Celia in 1970 because I never remember seeing the pictures much later after they were taken. In the corner of one is a partial picture of the inboard 48 hydro Baldy bought. These pictures were very interesting because they confirmed what I could not remember. Baldy built a garage next to the alley to house our racing boats. It was just west of the shop he had built a few months earlier. I kind of thought maybe I dreamt that when I was doing this story, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it actually existed. I don't remember that much about it because I didn't spend much time in there at all. I can remember some of the stuff I see in the picture, including the hydro and the safety net because I built it, but the rest is like a dream to me.

David Everhart
03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Master Oil Racing Team
03-30-2014, 07:04 PM
:confused:I'm sorry David, but I don't get it.

David Everhart
03-30-2014, 07:46 PM
A pleasure finding this post. Bumped the send button by accident moving from page to page. My father raced in the 50 s and I've raced for last 20 yrs altho my dad passed before I started. I read about 1/4 of the posts today and will read more tomorrow. I recognized some of the names in your post.
Dave Everhart S52

Master Oil Racing Team
03-30-2014, 08:13 PM
David....start a thread up about you and your Dad's racing. That's what BRF is all about. The stories and pictures of boat racers are interesting. My Dad got me into boat racing and it changed my life. The main reason I started the Baldy thread was to tell the story of my Dad and how he came to be not just a father supporting his son, but a promoter in a big way of professional boat racing. But just as important I thought telling the story in a way that most, if not all, boat racers could relate to, it would encourage others to tell their stories. The latest one is Steve Ketzer. You need to follow his thread and read what he is currently writing. BRF is not about championship trophies, being a top driver or anything like that. It is about telling your boat racing history. Pictures, articles, race results and funny stories are icing on the cake. So if you will, please start a thread about your family, and I and many others can comment on some of the names you bring up, and races you and your Dad went to.

David Everhart
03-30-2014, 08:27 PM
I appreciate your suggestion but dad got hurt and quit when I was 10. At that time I believe the minimum age was 12. Anyhow he sold everything and never went to another race as we didn't have a lot of disposable cash with five children. I was in my 40's before I saw another race not even knowing kneelers still raced. I got involved and first race was 2 yrs later. I m 67 this yr and racing keeps me feeling young. I race 750 mod runabout but my passion is Pro antique all 4 classes. My son doesn't have the race bug and with a young family probably will never get the desire I've had my whole life. I was heart broken when I couldn't race as a young man. Probably the reason I still haven't grown up.
David Everhart S52

David Everhart
03-30-2014, 08:36 PM
The other drivers in Pro antiques are like family. We help each other a lot. Everybody needs to stick together to make the classes work. After all there isn't many of us to go around and it seems as if the ranks get smaller every year.
David Everhart S52

Ketzer
03-31-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm about a third of the way through your story, Wayne, and it's great story, for sure. Very clean writing. About the Marioneaux props, we ended up with a couple buckets of them, along with much of their older stuff when they upgraded (that's in my story, but later on). And I do appreciate that pancakes make the roof of your mouth feel funny. I'm going to throw something on mine just to keep it going.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I have to get my mind back to where I was when I left off. Anyone following this story needs to check out Steve Ketzer Racing Team thread. On BRF we do not expect everyone to write as well as Steve, Ron Hill, Ernie Dawe or others. Just pull up the photos, momento's and stories you remember about your racing days and post them. No matter what you post will bring back cherished memories from someone, or fill in a gap for others. Since I've been posting and have gotten feedback from many....I have recalled a lot of things I had forgotten about.

Back to my story....It was after the racing season was gone. The pit crew had all gone back to school. Other than Betsy Turcotte, (who was not really on the pit crew), only Bud Turcotte and myself were in college. All the others were in High School or Private Schools. One of the tools schools used at the beginning of a semester to not just help new students be accepted, but also to increase some enthusiasm among returning students by asking everyone to write up a story or tell about their experiences during the summer.....the away from school time. Of course everyone was interested in that. Telling about themselves. Sometimes these stories were published in high school newsletters. The next two were just such stories, and they both had to do with boat racing.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-24-2014, 07:44 PM
The first story was about Jean Marie Huff and her experiences as part of the pit crew of CB Racing Team. She and Susan Turcotte were enrolled at St Mary's in San Antonio. This story was in their school newsletter. I had thought the second story about my brother Mark was also a school publication, but it looks more like it came from the Alice Daily Echo. I don't know why they would have done this, but it's cool, and here it is.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Ginger was able to get ahold of me about spending a Friday night and Saturday at one of her parents friends at a lakehouse overlooking Travis Lake Northwest of Austin, Texas. I said sure, and she gave me directions how to get there.

I mentioned before, but it's been awhile back that Ginger's Dad was a very successful architect in Houston with a house like I had never been in before in one of the prime parts of Houston back in 1968. On the other side of the street was the large forest Ima Hogg (one of Texas Governor's Hogg's daughters) had set aside for a forest within the Houston city limits. It was close to downtown, and all the prime movers in Houston.

Ginger's Step Mother along with her Dad, were big fans of jazz. I never cared for jazz except for some jazz-blues fusion. But this was an invitation to a very cool house on top of a lake, with no neighbors, great view, good food.

I always had my classes set up so I could leave no later than noon on Friday in order to head home in time to work on boats or motors for Saturday testing, or to go to a race somewhere. Or to go to Rosenberg to spend time with my new friend/old racing compatriot....Joe Rome.

Got there without any problem with my 1967 red with white top Dodge Polara outfitted with orange and white surf racks. The whole bunch of Ginger's parent's friends left Houston early Friday. Ginger's Dad and Step Mom left early enough to swing by St. Mary's to pick Ginger up. Two of my pit crew....Susan and Jean Marie would have been welcome to come along (since they got me and Ginger together) and we would have had a great time except they were not kin in any way. So they could not leave St Mary's even with those upstanding citizens.

It was a winding road to the top of that hill, way far from any other houses. I'm sure it's packed now, but I still suspect that particular house has lots of space around it. It was two story, rock house with a very long wide porch extending the full length of the top floor overlooking the lake, and I think it bent right around the corner facing the sunset. The way it faced was more or less south, but a big part of the lake went northwest and I can remember not having to go around the corner to watch the sun set. The main porch coming off the multiple upstairs rooms was wide enough to watch it from whatever chairs were already on the south side.

I don't remember anything about the food, but I know it had to be fabulous. There was not any great meal. There was just a whole bunch of what is now called "finger food". Trays of this and that, sandwiches, hor's d'vour, or as Baldy would say tongue in cheek Hors de vor.

Ginger probably knew most of the people. They were the cream of the crop of Jazz musicians in Houston at that time, and maybe they had there own ensemble....I don't know. All I can remember is a lot of socializing, then as soon as Ginger and I could....we split and went to the porch upstairs. Jazz people are midnight and beyond people. They partied awhile, then later on started playing. They were not loud, just nonstop. The only time I knew it was a different song was when it went silent for a few moments. I didn't know it at the time, but a couple of years later I sat in on a jam session of a friend of mine who is one of the best guitar players in the world. I think they were jamming. And they jammed until the wee hours of the morning. I have never got into jazz, but I like jazz/blues fusion like John Mayall and Boz Skaggs. There have been some good records of Jazz/blues fusion music and jamming.

No one ever told me where to sleep, and if Ginger had a room to herself, she didn't say. We found some blankets and laid out on that porch all night talking, then later drifting in and out of sleep. No hanky panky. Just holding each other and enjoying the grand view, and each other's company.

After being mostly awake until the sky started to stir to our left, we fell off into a deep sleep until the sun was fully bright and started to heat the porch a little. It was around late October or early November and a little chilly. The blankets weren't quite enough padding, or quite enough warmth, so we woke up around eight or so There were probably ten to fifteen other people there and they were all sound asleep somewhere. Ginger and I were able to get downstairs without waking anyone up, or even seeing anyone else. We found something to eat for breakfast, then we waited a little bit to see if anyone stirred. Nobody did.

There was a pontoon boat moored at a marina a long way down a winding road to the lake. We had been told about it the day before and were told we were welcome to use it and how to find it and where the keys were. Since nothing else was happening, Ginger and I headed out in my Dodge Polara to find the pontoon boat. Found it we did. It was just an average ordinary pontoon boat with a canopy, less than midsize engine, but fueled up and ready to go. It was my first venture onto Lake Travis.

It had been a rainy season then so Travis was full, a deep azure blue and cold. Ginger didn't know the lake and I sure didn't so we spent a couple of leisurely hours cruising across the middle portion we were in then circuiting all the coves within eyesight of our homeport on top of the hill.

I don't remember anything after that, but it was a funfilled experience I never forgot.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-27-2014, 08:31 PM
About this same time....the late fall, early winter Baldy was a guest at Alex Wetherbee's house in Corpus Christi, Texas. Both Alex and his brother Tommy both lived in Corpus Christi at the time. I suspect Tommy and his wife Betty were both at the dinner.

The Wetherbee's and our family enjoyed each other's company and had a lot of fun together. And so it was about the same time that I was spending the night on a porch overlooking Lake Travis that Baldy way having dinner at the Wetherbee's. No way of knowing for sure, but it all occurred within a few weeks of this same time period.

As they were sitting around talking, the subject turned to guns. Then shotguns. Both Alex and his brother Tommy were avid hunters and gun collectors. Baldy had a lot of guns, but he wasn't a collector. Somehow the talk got to the point of shotguns and Baldy said "I can tell you the make and model of a shotgun blindfolded". Alex called his bluff. Alex said "I've got one you can't call!"

Steve Wetherbee was sitting in my living room telling me this story yesterday that I have never heard.

Baldy was sitting in a stuffed armchair after the meal, and in place where all the discussion had lead to this "I can" identify shotgun by the feel. Steve Wetherbee had been given a Remington 17 shotgun as a kid, and it was built off a Browning platform. Remington had planned to introduce it in 1917, but World War I was going on so Remington laid plans on the shelf. After the War Remington resumed where the left off and built the 1917 model from 1919 to 1921. They just postponed making it, but kept the model number. It is a rare model.

In the 30''s Ithaca acquired the rights and began to build the Remington shotgun based on the original Browning design. Ithaca then changed the model number to 1937, the year they began to manufacture it. This is all prelude Steve told me regarding the story.

As Steve's Dad Alex approached Baldy holding the rifle, Baldy had his head turned away, and Alex said "Okay Baldy....close your eyes". Steve was watching closely as his Dad Alex handed his own shotgun to Baldy. Baldy had his right hand held low and hands open and left hand extended up with fingers ready to grasp as Steve described how his Dad Alex fitted the shotgun into Baldy's hands as he closed around the stock and barrel.

Grasping the shotgun, Baldy began to feel everything about it. Gently sliding his left hand up and down the barrel, feeling the stock, butt plate, trigger guard, trigger with his right hand. Sliding down the barrel ribs, pumping the action, checking out the receiver, etc. ..

Steve watched the whole thing, and it didn't take that long and Steve told me Baldy said "Ithaca model 37" His Dad Alex said "Close" Baldy opened up his eyes and saw what he was looking at and Alex said "You were close" and Baldy said "You got me on that one".

Ketzer
04-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Wayne, it took me a month, but I’m caught up on “Baldy,” all four years. Again, it’s a great story; I especially enjoyed the “On the Road” parts. You’re a regular boat-racing Jack Kerouac. As I said when we spoke, while reading about your travels through Louisiana, Sonny Landreth’s album, “South of I-10”, plays in my head. A few things that jumped out at me:

1) You didn’t drink that much; no wonder you could remember all that stuff.
2) Your wreck in the Marchetti where you tore the front off. Woof!
3) Almost running out of gas on the Pontchartrain Bridge—I’ve done it, and the cop was very, very upset with me.
4) Problems with the Chrysler New Yorker. Holy cow, that thing was a Jonah. But what else would a Southern Boy expect driving a car called a “New Yorker”?
5) “Insufferable Leftists.”
6) Master Oil: I was hoping you’d make a comparison with Mouse Milk, as I was curious.
7) Hitting road signs with bottles. Apparently, among teenage boys, that’s universal. I wrote a poem about that years ago, but won’t mess up your thread further.

Those were just a few, but there were many “fun” things in your story in addition to great boat racing history. Bueno!

Master Oil Racing Team
04-29-2014, 09:39 PM
#4. My parts man and best friend Joe Rome explained that to me last year. The exhaust had a lining in it that would give up after enough time and heat and collapse causing first a choke in the system, the burnout at the turnpipe out of the exhaust. As far as what choice we had, my girlfriends Dad sold New Yorker's, Newport's , Barracuda's and later on Dart's and Charger's. She was a Southern girl, and very sweet. And the Chrysler and Dodge products pumped out lots of power back then. That was the final days of muscle cars. GTX, GTO, etc. We still had respect for Detroit back then.

#5 I'm not sure what you refer to as insufferable leftists as far as the story goes.

#6 I didn't understand exactly what you were referring to about Mouse Milk when we were talking. I kind of understood a little bit, but not much. I could comment regarding comparisons with Master Oil and Mouse Milk if I had a better understanding.

#7 Bud and I were very good at that. In fact, we were so good I am almost afraid to admit it. Because it's not like we were drinking Dr.Peppers the whole trip and tossing them every fifteen minutes and had lot's of practice. It's just how uncannilyy accurate we were with a couple of bottles in a three and a half hour drive. I am a very firm advocate against doing that now, and have been for four decades. I taught my kids not to toss things out of a car. But, Baldy's is about what we did, and that was what kids did back then. Send me an email of your poem Steve. Maybe I can turn it into a song.

Thanks for your comments Steve. I have very much enjoyed your Ketzer thread, and I found more things to send you, although it will be several days. As far a messing up my thread, that doesn't happen. But, in fact I am going to take this opportunity myself for a little diversion.

No one in my family reads any of this because they know my stories. My Son in Law doesn't want me to post things about my Grand Son. He doesn't was a big exposure. So I will not post his name, or anything about him, but I can't help but looking at his pictures every day. Here are some over the last six or eight months.

Well...I couldn't do it because none I looked at were sized properly, and some would have to be edited first because they were sideways. Maybe I'll do one before I sign off

Ketzer
04-30-2014, 06:15 AM
Wayne, I guess we never pitted close enough to you guys to get a free sample of Master Oil, or we would have tried it. As aircraft mechanics, we did use Mouse Milk where high heat was a factor: exhaust pipe slip joints, and on the turbocharger waste gate butterfly shaft. (A pilot would come in all fretting about “wild manifold pressure fluctuations.” After checking the induction and exhaust systems for looseness or other trouble, we’d squirt Mouse Milk on the butterfly shaft, work it back and forth with a wrench, and say, “Try that.” The shaft would coke up, stick, break free, coke up, etc., which caused the fluctuations 90% of the time). Anyway, I was just curious if Master Oil would have worked just as well.

Great picture!

Master Oil Racing Team
05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
We didn't just hand out samples to whoever pitted next to us or nearby Steve. If Baldy heard about a problem freeing up a part, or something he thought Master Oil could help, he would give them a spray can or metal 8 oz can. Then he would explain how to use it, especially if heat was required. If you or your Dad had mentioned anything about airplanes and "Mouse Milk" Baldy would have sent you home with one or more samples of THE MASTER OIL to give it a try.

Boeing out of Seattle bought a LOT of Master Oil at one time. They bought so much that the manufacturer's representative approached Baldy about buying his company. I will not mention the name, but it is part of the story that will come up much later. They had found lots of good uses for it, but one was that the machines that polished aluminum were able to polish two sides at once. The polishing media didn't clog up, and they were able to skip a couple of steps in the polishing.

Except for extreme situations, THE MASTER OIL might seem to first time users an expensive oil. It became so prized, hoarded and cherished when people found that they could salvage parts they thought were lost due to extreme corrosion and or welded together because of electrolosis of dissimilar metals. What manufacturers found was that on extremely hard or very soft metals, THE MASTER OIL was a genius:D. That in a nutshell is why THE MASTER OIL never became mainstream, and is like a "CULT" oil. Since it was never nationally distributed by common retailers (specialty outlets serving the oil industry, refining, offshore drilling, etc were another story), the only people that know about it hoard it. I know friends that have kept a can for twenty or thirty years because they didn't know if they could ever get another can when they especially needed it.

I will send you a can Steve. Try it and tell me what you think.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-04-2014, 07:51 PM
It was sometime after the 1968 racing season was over that Alex Wetherbee and his son Steve came to Baldy's house at Pernitas Point. I don't remember Alex's wife or daughter being there. It may have been a gathering of a few of the South Texas boat racers. Steve Jones made all the gatherings, and Dan Waggoner, his wife Blanche and Son David would always be together. Clayton Elmer, his wife Doris, and kids Paula and Donny would have been there. That close to hunting season, Jack Chance was always down. Jack would go to the hunting lease twenty minutes west to get everything prepared for opening day. I don't remember that particular evening, but Steve Wetherbee does. It may have just been him and his Dad Alex. What Steve recalls is that Baldy made a cheese dip with Velveeta Cheese, Rotel tomatoes, and had added crumbled sausage. Steve had never tasted anything like that before, especially with the sausage, and it became ingrained in his memory. He has served it to his guests many times since then.

Ketzer
05-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Thanks, Wayne! I'm going to be hanging out at the mailbox awaiting the Master Oil. As soon as it comes in, I'm going to rub some on my knees.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Can't hurt Steve. Way back at the beginning of this thread when I mentioned Baldy being in the Aloe Vera business, one of the Aloe products was a skin moisturizer, the base oil for the moisturizer was the same base used in the patented MX237 THE MASTER OIL. It is an organic oil and was chosen for some of its properties, not the least of which it has the same ph as the human skin. The girls in our pit crew would spray it all over themselves to help with a tan during the downtime between waterskiing, racing, surfing and riding motorcycles. When Baldy got out of the Aloe Vera business a chemist and friend who worked with him said the oil was not widely known outside of used for cooking in Japan and had some very interesting and unique properties that could be enhanced with some other harmless additives. It would be a very safe oil, and that's what got Baldy's attention, and it got started from there.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Back to the story:

We were somewhere in the mishmash between the end of racing, school, and starting to test before the next season of racing. I did a lot of traveling back to Baldy's on some weekends where Jack Chance was there bringing stuff to Alice, or most of the time to the Lake House at Pernitas Point, and we would go deer or quail hunting, or I would go see Ginger if she was home in Houston. Mostly it was going home.

The time is around November and December 1968. Nixon had trounced Hubert Humphrey for President of the United States. It was at this same time that the FCC authorized a very limited pay television experiment to begin. Restrictions were high. Limits of broadcast were very strict and tightly bounded to 35 miles.

The top TV shows then were Rowan & Martin's "Laugh In", "Bonanza", "Gomer Pyle USMC", "Julia" (which I have no idea what that show was), "Mission Impossible", "The Dean Martin Show", "Gunsmoke" "My 3 Sons", and "The Ed Sullivan Show".

Charts of December 8, 1968 listed these as the top songs
LOVE CHILD Diana Ross and the Supremes, ABRAHAM, MARTIN AND JOHN, Dion, FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE Stevie Wonder, STORMY Classics IV, THOSE WERE THE DAYS Mary Hopkins, BOTH SIDES NOW Judy Collins, CHEWY CHEWY (Yuk) WITCHITA LINEMAN Glenn Campbell, I LOVE HOW YOU LOVE ME Bobby Vinton and HEY JUDE The Beatles.

"Hey Jude" displaced "A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum as my favorite song.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-11-2014, 09:23 PM
With the purchase of all those Konigs in 1968 plus parts, Baldy answered Scott Smith's ad in the Roostertail and we became Konig dealers. It all started because we had pitted next to Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch at Sunset Lake just north of Corpus Christi, Texas in 1965. Sunset Lake was so perfect as a body of water and total lake control, that at one time NOA had considered it a permanent World Championship race course.

We had been buy everything through Bryan Marine, but Baldy got hooked up with Scott Smith at the end of 1967. We were still friends with Freddie and Arlen though and although Mark was now running a flatbottom with an L88 Chevy engine, we still had contact with Freddie and Arlen.

It was the beginning of hunting season, and Freddie and Arlen came down to Baldy's to visit and hunt. Barbon was still being surveyed and the road being built. Baldy has his house site picked out, but it was a long time before it would be surveyed and started upon.

Baldy had started cooking supper. For some reason we headed over from Baldy's house at Pernitas Point to where the race course was. It was there, but the house was to be there more than a year later. I cannot remember now why we headed that way, but both Arlen and Freddie went with me. They both had rifles in Baldy's Chrysler station wagon from the hunt that day and about 3/4ths of a mile into Barbon one of them saw a young spike, or maybe four point deer. We were supposed to go get what Baldy wanted and come back, but Freddie or Arlen, or probably both wanted me to stop the car so they could shoot the deer. I did reluctantly. In the first place....it was sunset, and too dark to shoot. It was probably ten minutes too late, and illegal. Secondly, and most important, I thought my Dad might get mad. Unfortunately, I was just a young kid driving a car with two of the best boat racers telling me what they wanted to do, and I complied. I stopped. I think Freddie shot. The deer dropped.

It was now dark, going into deep dark. Baldy was in the middle of cooking, and we were supposed to go to Barbon, get something and come back. The deer was down, and I think it was Arlen Crouch who walked up to the deer. I had thought Freddie shot it , but Arlen went to hit it on the head. Before he walked up, he got out of the station wagon, reached in the back to pick up a steel cross section of one of our "horse" stands we set the boats on. In case the little buck was still alive, Arlen was going to whack him in the head to finish him off. That cross section would have done it except when Arlen got up to where the deer had fallen, it woke up and sprung away so fast Arlen was standing there with nothing to swing at. It's not uncommon for a head shot to hit a horn or the head to stun an deer and knock it out momentarily.

I really dreaded the drive back home, and was very bummed out that I had pulled over at Freddie or Arlen's request to shoot a deer just at sundown. It was only ten minutes back to Baldy's at Pernitas Point, and I can't remember if it was Freddie or Arlen who told Baldy of the small buck one of them had shot and had gotten away. Baldy immediately chewed both of them up one side and down the other and said as I remember....We were not hunting at Barbon....it was too dark to hunt....and when you shot a deer you should have walked up to it with a firearm to finish it off....not a $#%&&% piece of a sawhorse.

I don't remember the exact words, but that's what basically came down and I felt very bad all the way around because I was driving and I knew I should tell them no, but it all happened so fast, it was over before I could do anything,, and then after Baldy reamed them out, I felt bad more about what they did than what Baldy said, because they should have known better, and I had thought them better than that.

The next morning though, we got up early, went on a deer hunt and came back for a hearty lunch that Baldy and his mother fried up. Venison, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans with bacon and onion. And hot biscuits.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Can't believe I have been away from this thread for that long. I was trying to find some pictures and my darkroom is all messed up again. I started to straighten up a lot of it, but have had one thing after another that needed attention. Got all the APBA and NOA rulebooks on two separate shelves, and a whole shelf of magazines, Propellers, and Roostertails in order. So it "might" be a little easier to do research and put things back where I can find them again. Especially if I can find some critical missing B&W negatives.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-13-2014, 07:06 PM
I have tried to find information about when Baldy put his houses in Alice and Lake Corpus Christi up for sale, but I could not find anything. All I know is that I remember that he lived in the house he planned to build only nine months before it was destroyed. He started construction of it right away after the other two were sold. It would have been some time in December of 1968 that Baldy put both of his houses up for sale with the intention of living in the unsold house while building a new one at his site on the hill at Barbon. This was a dream Baldy had that was coming to fruition. He and his partner Joe Hendricks were selling a few lots at the new edition, and Baldy was anxious to get the construction of his new house underway. It was a big surprise to Baldy that both houses sold during the same week he put them on the market. Not one to back down, or try to beg off for time, Baldy looked at other opportunities and made a deal for us to move into the second unit of a series of four separate lodgings built on a cliff over looking Lake Corpus Christi. It was at the Western Shores Motel where Pam and I were when her step brother got hit in the neck by a wasp and almost died the year before.

My older sister Brenda had gotten married a few months earlier. Mark was halfway through his senior year so Baldy, Mark and Jan moved in while I went back to San Marcos after the Christmas holiday. Baldy didn't have any plans for the builder Speedy Thomas. He drew some outlines on the caliche hill and told Speedy what he wanted. Since Baldy had built a few houses he could speak the language and Speedy understood. I was not around when all of that was going on, but I guess after Speedy hammered in the stakes, set the lines and Baldy agreed, they got high behind on the construction. I really don't know how Speedy built the house the way he did without plans, but maybe Baldy had a picture or possibly Speedy showed him something to go by. All I know is that I lived in five houses with Baldy, and the only one that I ever knew that had plans was one built by a contractor that Baldy bought in 1959. The first two I lived in from 1948 to 1959 Baldy built himself. The first was a commercial building with a living apartment and designed with very good airflow. The second house Baldy built himself in 1949 with a black man as a helper. A very unique and interesting design with an Arkansas flagstone exterior. The last was this house that Baldy had a contractor build, but with the layout only in his head and consultation with the builder. I can remember many years later how the contractor that rebuilt it after it burnt to the ground was desperate for plans because he could not on his life figure out the roofing. Baldy told him that there were no plans, and it had already been rebuilt once before. He just had to figure it out himself. That was when I remembered taking aerial photos of it a couple of times, and so the builder was able to see all the angles.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-14-2014, 07:55 AM
With both houses sold, we were without our shop also. It wasn't a problem right now though because of the racing season over and it would be a few months before we got started again. Jack Chance could do the work on new motors coming in at his shop, which he always did anyway. I was sometime during the middle to latter part of 1968 that Baldy began to sell off all our DeSilva runabouts including our first ever new boat, an A/B DeSilva. It was a beautiful piece of work when we bought it, now it was an ugly silver blue solid paint job. He sold the Jumbo C/D DeSilva, which I only ran a C Konig on and the B DeSilva which I don't remember any great success with since all runabout classes in Lone Star were very tough. My biggest problem with the runabouts was that cockpits were always so wide, I could never get a snug fit, and so I had some control problems in the corners, always bouncing around and tearing the bottom pads loose from their grommets.

Baldy's partner Joe wanted to start raising cattle on the pasture part of Barbon upon the ridge and hilltop so he built a barn for hay and implement storage. Baldy had some 2 X 6's built up inside of part of the barn where we hung the hydros while he had the motor box rebuilt with an aluminum skin. And he redesigned the insides where we hung the motors after having done an add on to the box previously. Our Marchetti C hydro went to the paint shop to have the "Spider" black stripes painted on like we had planned to do with the others, but didn't get around to it.

While Bud Turcotte and I and Joe Rome were back at San Marcos, Baldy and Jack were getting things ready for next year. Clayton Elmer was settled in at Emmords and he Baldy and Joe were learning the boat and motorcycle business.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-14-2014, 01:45 PM
I was surprised to find myself in a class with Joe Rome when the next semester started up. As we were both business majors, I should not have been surprised except for the fact that he had an extra year on me. Bookkeeping was one of the requirements and it just so happened we ended up in the same class. It was the only class Joe and I had together.

I usually liked to get a desk up front on the first or second row. I grew up during my primary education years being seated alphabetically so I was used to being right up near the teacher's desk and was not afraid of it. In college I found that I would pay more attention that way, if we had a choice. I guess Joe was used to his spot at well because I ended up sitting next to Joe back in what would be the R's alphabetically.

I was always bad in math, and there was too much math distraction for me to figure out the concept of credits and debits, journal entries, reconciliation and all that. I was used to a number of years in English classes with foreign words such as prepositions, pronouns, dangling participles and such words as you only use in English classes but I had learned enough to know what the were. Credits and debits were plusses and minuses. Why create all the confusion. Anyway, I had a tough time with the balancing act. If you added something into one category, you had to take a like amount from another. There were the income statements, balance sheets and all kinds of reports. About the only thing I got out of that class was that before you walked in that door, you better have a pencil. It had better be a N0. 2, and it had better be sharp. I did end up with a B though because of Joe Rome.

The first test we had, the teacher left the room. He told the class that if we were totally stumped, we could go up to his desk and look the answer up. I was totally engrossed in trying to go through some problems when Joe took a walk to the front. Joe had previously had an accounting class, and knew more than I did, but given he didn't have to sweat so much for the answer, he did it the easy way. He came back and sat down at his desk and wrote in a few answers. He saw me trying to work through the problem and he said the answer is up there. I said "I know", but I never had a situation like that come up before. Then I noticed a number of students working their way to the answer book and back to their desks. Joe said "He told us it was alright!" So I joined in and got the hang of it.

Looking back that was a clever move by a professor who knew that most of us were in there for just the one accounting class we were required to take, and he was going to put all his efforts into the students that were going to pursue bookkeeping, accounting, become CPA's etc. He allowed us dummies to have more or less a gimme class so we could concentrate more on our majors.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Almost got too far ahead of myself.

It was sometime in January 1969, maybe the second or third weekend that the Lone Star Boat Racing Association annual banquete and meetings were held. Saturday night was the banquete and awards ceremony for the 1968 racing season, followed at one O'clock Sunday afternoon with the old business and new business consisting of election of Commodore and other officers, approval of records, and other rules or items to discuss. Rather than the Holiday Inn on 146, it was held at another place on the way to the Highlands race course owned by a Baytown Boat Club member. The boat club building was not yet built.

I made sure Ginger would be home that weekend and I picked her up to be my date for the banquete. It was a good turnout with members from all the clubs from Dallas down to Corpus Christi and San Antonio past Beaumont and all the way to St. Charles, Louisiana. Baldy had a fine time seeing many he had not seen in a couple of months and was looking forward to the upcoming racing. There was lots to talk about.

We got through the fine dinner and then came the awards ceremony. This consisted of high point drivers in each class, sportsmanship and Pit Man of the Year. They were giving out some very nice light blue windbreakers made of cotton or some type of woven fabric....not plastic with a large patch on back with a race boat and class and the driver's number sewn on it. on the left front was a 2 1/2 by 4 inch dark blue patch with white border. It had a pair of crossed checkered flags and below that the driver's name and under the name was his city and state. I won high point in B and D Hydro so I won two jackets . It was kind of disappointing though that not just one of the jackets was too large, but both of them were. I wore a small and both of the jackets were either large or extra large. It was like wearing a tent. The shoulders hung way off. I would have been better off not putting my arms in the sleeves and just drape them over my shoulders and wear one like a cape. While I was very pleased to have been awarded two jackets, I never wore either one. I ended up giving one to my sister Jan, and I forget what happed to the other. With the jackets being a little bit of disappointment, Ginger and I left the banquet in time to catch a movie at the local drive in between Baytown and Highlands. She didn't know anyone but me at the Banquete, so we left to be on our own and watch a movie.

Bill Van Steenwyk
09-14-2014, 03:54 PM
QUOTE from post #817:

"Ginger and I left in time to catch a movie at the local drive in, because she didn't know anyone at the party". END QUOTE

Wayne:

Methinks, for whatever reason, you are trying to pull the wool over our eyes somewhat. The reason I think this, is most all males of our age have been to the drive in movies with a pretty girl, and remember the main reasons they went to a drive in, instead of another type of movie entertainment.

Also, as much as I remember your love of boat racing and being around the participants, and talking shop/racing, and taking photos of them, I have a hard time believing that is the real/only reason you left the party.

Finally, you might remember, when dealing in remembrances such as these that took place many years ago, all of us of a similar age remember what things were like, especially with pretty girls, and a drive in movie nearby.

Just be up front and honest, as the story is much better that way, The telling of this tale would have been much more believable if you had just said it like it was, "we left to be on our own", and left off the movie part. Future episodes will be much more believable if you don't "bend the truth", or attempt to be of better moral character than you were at that time.

Remember, I knew you prior to your marriage to your lovely wife Debbie.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-14-2014, 06:38 PM
AAHHH....Bil Van! What are we going to do with you?

I became friends with lots of pretty women including your wife Eileen,;) but I have always been nothing but a gentleman. I was always surprised that I was able to go out with some of them so I would never do anything to scare them off.

I do love boat racing and like to talk about it, but if you had been paying close attention to the thread you would remember that I hung around with the kids near my age and that was mostly my pit crew, plus at that time now included Marsha and Steve Wetherbee, Denny Henderson, and Craig and Ashley Lawrence. Joe Bowdler had died, and there were not any other young racers on the circuit. And I just had my first sip of alchohol, but I was under 21 so I did not hang around because Ginger and I would have just sat there looking at people enjoying themselves while we just sat at a table listening to the noise. Besides, I was upset with getting my first high point jacket that hung off my shoulders and had a "stupid runabout" in place of a hydro.

As far as drive in movies with girls, I only saw that in the movies. Like I said....I'm the shy type. I missed out on all that. I got embarrassed when I took Ginger to see Dustin Hoffman's bang up first movie "The Graduate".:o

Would you believe that I don't remember much of the movie? It's because it was terrible. We didn't even stay until halfway, but not for what you suggest Bill Van. It was a western and it stunk. I looked up the westerns playing in theaters at that time and I am positive it was Bandolero with Rachael Welch. I never cared for her as an actress and didn't like any of her movies.

As far as knowing me before I met Debbie, that's true. In fact it was later on in this particular year that I remember meeting you. :cool: But how do you think I carried on before meeting Debbie?:confused:

No truth bent here. Maybe some memory lapses, but friends help straighten me out.

Bill Van Steenwyk
09-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Wayne:

Re your post #819.

I stand by my post in regards to your probable behavior.

The only thing I would be proud of you for is if you were able to pay attention to Ginger to HER satisfaction, with Raquel Welch on the screen, especially if looking "up" at her, as was the prevailing view of the screen of the screen from the seat of the car and especially if "up close" the the screen. Of course, if you were in the back seat, that is an entirely different view on the situation, and I'm not just talking about the view of the movie screen.

I myself was never much for Brunettes, and always preferred Blondes, natural or not, but Raquel was one exception that would get my attention. If fact, I saw her on a program on TV not long ago, at her present age, and she still looks mighty fine. Isn't medical science wonderful these days?? Regards the quality of the movie itself, the producers./financiers of same probably realized what most red blooded American males did at the time. A Raquel movie did not require much of a plot, just a maximum of Raquel and a minimum of clothing.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Bill Van.....you are wrong on all counts. My "probable behavior" is what you might think yourself:eek:, but that's not me.

Your mind was in the gutter, and you need to have Eileen edit your posts on Sunday night. :)

Ginger was a very pretty and sweet girl. I don't like that kind of talk about her. She will still be in the picture for a little longer for this story, and I always have fond memories of our time together.

As far as Raquel Welch goes, movie moguls banked on her and were successful. I personally didn't get excited by her, maybe because she was overhyped. I would not and did not have a care about a woman running around with soft wolf or whatever animal skin clothing making an interesting movie to watch. I know she was in some such a kind of a movie because the posters were all over the place. Maybe Charlton Heston was in it too, but I'm not sure. I know he was in Planet of the Apes which came out in 1968, but I didn't like movies like that either.:( Never saw any of the Ape movies other than excerpts).

So.....done with that......let's move on.

I found the negatives I have been looking for after several months, and so can continue the story. I am going to go one from where I left off, but for those of you who want to look back at the time the additions took place go to post number 772 and post number 780. I am sorry for the inconvenience of the readers that have been following this thread, and the new readers I just want to try as much as possible to keep the narrative and pictures in the same time it happened. So I have to do this from time to time when I find something I couldn't find, or somebody sends me something.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Back to where we left off.

Earlier I had mentioned that our 1968 annual banquete and meeting was someplace different. And as I said it was on the highway from Baytown toward the exit to Highlands where the current Baytown Boat Club exists and was being built when this meeting took place.

Baldy and I sat two or three rows back from the front row, on the right side facing the Commodore and elected officials. After old business was done, we elected the new officials and they took their positions, We went through rules, etc. and maybe the only things done were to tighten up more with NOA. Seems like Lone Star had some step down rules that NOA didn't have, and I think the big thing was dual sanctions between Lone Star and NOA. Trying to coordinate Lone Star Races with NOA and get notices out through Knoxville.

The main thing I remember about that meeting though is a confrontation with Baldy and Louis Williams on trying to correct or erase Louis' A hydro competition record set in 1966. Baldy presented the case that the record was recorded wrong. It was ten miles per hour faster than the B hydro record, and was faster than the F hydro record on the same Texas race course. The commission considered Baldy's proposition, but in the end let the record remain. I think everyone understood Baldy's point, but the referee at the time had committed suicide. Not that that had anything to do with it, but it was a very sad time. After the commission agreed to let the record stand Louis said to Baldy "It was running good that day". Joe and I both know the smile and look that Louis would have had.

Here is part of the 1969 rulebook.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks to Joe Rome and Clayton Elmer I was told the place of the 1968 Lone Star Boat Racing Association meeting was at the TOWER MOTEL . It was owned by Emmet Hutto, a big member of the Baytown Boat Club and part of Bruce Nicholson's team. The Hotel was new and we switched from staying at the Holiday Inn on 146 to Emmet's "Tower" Motel for the meeting and we always stayed there after it opened when we raced in Highlands. The Baytown Boat Club building was built on the San Jacinto River west of Highlands, Texas not long after that and that's where all the rest of the Lone Star banquetes and meeting's were held. It's also the current venue for the races that the OPC crowd in Texas have held so many successful races over the past number of years. A few J hydros have been racing there for several years in the hopes to bring in some new racers.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-21-2014, 02:15 PM
The March issue of Roostertail published election results of both NOA's District 15 and Lone Star Boat Racing Association. NOA District 15 was headed mostly by North Texas racers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and had some Am/Pro racers. There were a lot of races up there in which Texas and Oklahoma racers supported each others races. Dudley Malone, Clyde Bayer, Charlie Huff, David Smith and many others raced with us in Texas. Also Ben and Tommy Posey were very much in the middle of things in the growing OPC classes. S.C. "Pop" Willis was a true leader up there. Charlie Fowler from the Houston area was elected to represent the area dominated by Lone Star, but a lot of the racers from the Gulf Coast, South and Central Texas interacted with North Texas. Alan Registar always came down south with Craig and Ashley Lawrence and Denny Henderson. And John Snell and brother Albert live in the East Texas area. So while we had two groups with two sets of officers, we all got along very well. The one difference was the races up north were always NOA sanctioned while a lot of the races down south were dual sanction with NOA being insurance provider and sending out notices and Lone Star being the sponsor along with the local club. However, many of the Lone Star races were Lone Star sanction only, and thus results didn't appear in "The Roostertail".

ADD: Don't know why there are so many misspellings in the two notices, but here are the corrections. Just in case someone wants it correct. District 15 Vice Chairman Pros Alan Registar. Lone Star Vice President Louis Williams, Jr., Sec/Treas. Charles Fowler....same officer as in District 15., and W.C. Morton a very talented cabinet maker and boat maker from Baytown, Texas Note: W. J. McGinnis was more popularly known as "Possum" McGinnis. W. A. "Slim" Elmer is Clayton Elmer's Dad. And for some reason Louis Williams, Jr. was listed on the racing commission rather than his compadre J. Alvin Roddy. Makes no difference though, they were both a deep red 14-T.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-22-2014, 07:22 PM
From all that I have found, the 1969 Lone Star Boat Racing Association Awards Banquete for the 1968 racing year would be the first time Baldy was elected to anything regarding boat racing. Baldy studied the rule book front and back from the first time we every pulled a crank rope. He met and became friends everywhere we raced. I stayed in the background, but Baldy walked the pits and shook hands, and got to know a lot of racers and their families. He was not politicking. Baldy just like to get to know everyone and talk.

I think the Lone Star Banquete in Baytown was the first we attended because I had won a couple of awards. I don't recall any previous banquetes or annual meetings, so I am pretty sure this was our first, especially since it was the first time we stayed at the Tower Hotel.

Baldy was not pursuing any elective office. We were just there. Most of the people in attendance were long time boat racers and Baytown Boat Club members, but Louis Williams and a contingent from Beaumont were there as well as the San Antonio bunch and some from the Dallas area and South Louisiana. A few of us came up from Corpus Christi area including Dan Waggoner and his family, Steve Jones and his family, but I don't recall the Wetherbee's making the trip.

The referee that had run the races when I started, Homer Alford, had for some tragic reason taken his own life. His wife Joy (who shot the turkey in the head on a hunting trip Baldy arranged a little over a year earlier) was reelected scorer, and Jim Dailey, who was part of Bruce Nicholson's team was elected referee to take Homer's place. Jim continued to serve along with Buddy Aylor later as referee for Lone Star until it went under in the mid 80's.

All these officials that were elected were nominated from the floor. Presiding officials of Lone Star would ask the members in the audience who they wanted for each office. For the most, it was unanimous with only one uncontested name presented for the office. When it came to Referee, I think there were names bandied about because that was one office that Homer had held for awhile and it was one no one expected to have to fill. Joe might remember more about this, but I think after all the talk was done, and maybe a few were asked and declined, the person everyone kept coming back to was the steady, reliable, and always at every race....Jim Dailey. Then when it got to the racing commission, Baldy was nominated to be one of the commissioners. The Corpus Christi Boat Club had lost a number of members since the late fifties and early sixties, and I think there was no representation in any official capacity. So while Baldy was not seeking any office, his interest in the sport and his vocal opinions, plus the fact that he had already put on three successful races in South Texas, and had one on board for June his name was put up for a member of the racing commission. As noted in the NOA notice, Baldy was elected, and he went on to other elective offices as our racing progressed.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Baldy might have become more enthused than ever about being a Konig dealer because he was seeing some successful outboard sales at the Emmord's dealership, or maybe it may have been part of a tax writeoff. I happen to think that after going through some slow times in 1968, the upcoming year was looking good, and Baldy planned to capitalize.

Bill Seebold had called up Marshall Grant earlier in 1968 and told Marshall that he would sell all of his new Konig motors along with his boats to Marshall, and Billy would drive for Marshall. Marshall took the deal, bought all of the Seebold equipment, sold his Merc/Quincy stuff, and it was the start of a very successful racing venture. The Johnny Cash band was on top and had fans all across the music spectrum..........young and old alike.

Baldy had been friends with the Seebold's for a couple of years, and was getting to know Marshall. After Marshall moved to Konig, it might have spurred Baldy to put more effort into the Konig dealership that Scott Smith had given him. Whether it was tax considerations or a belief that Konig engines and parts sales could amount to anything is hard to say at this point. But all that aside, with the things going on, Baldy worked on a price list for our Konig dealership and spent some time any money to print and advertise the price list. The price list was printed in February and Baldy called up Claude Fox to be sure that his ad was in the March 1969 issue of "The Roostertail".

Master Oil Racing Team
09-24-2014, 07:19 AM
I will copy all the pages which are 19 numbered and 4 unnumbered attachments. The first scan is one that appears pristine, but has doodles on the back by Baldy. The second one is my copy, and as you can see, boat racers make good use of duct (duck) tape wherever it is needed, not just to patch boats boats, hold plastic shields in place, or long hair in the case of Darrel Beaulier. When I get back from the office I will start scanning and posting the contents.

The catalogues were printed by John Shriver at Accurate Printing in Alice, on Texas Boulevard a quarter block from Main Street. John did all the printing for Alice Specialty, Aldac, Master Oil, and race programs and posters.

crewman060
09-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Always glad to see this story updated.1 question,did Baldy ever send a letter to asco,american solenoid company,or they to him about the logos.both are very similar.Most likely,back in those days,people did not worry about such and customers of each company had enough knowledge to know the difference.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Not that I know of Crewman. I do not know anything about American Solenoid. I went to a number of websites, but I could not find a logo, but I did see information on ASCO valves. Do you have a picture of the logo?

The ASCO logo was designed by Baldy as far as I have ever known and somewhere I have seen a lot of doodlings by Baldy of the logo. It first appeared that I can recall sometime in the early sixties.

In 1975 we had a Master Oil and ASCO booth at the Offshore Technology Conference held at the Astrohall in Houston. Thousands of oil and gas people came from all over the world. A little way down from our booth and a couple of rows over was Aberdeen Service Company soliciting customers for their newly constructed offshore service facility in Aberdeen Scotland. They offered docking for companies servicing the North Sea oilfields. They like our logo and wanted to copy it. We gave them permission. We had a booth there until 1982 and we saw them every year and became somewhat friends.

In the mid 80's American Seed Company told us to quit using ASCO. Baldy told them where they could plant their seeds, and how long we had been using the term ASCO, and maybe he asked if they wanted a new partner. No lawyers ever got involved and that was that.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-25-2014, 06:15 PM
First pages off the press.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-26-2014, 07:03 AM
more pages

Master Oil Racing Team
09-26-2014, 06:31 PM
The next batch

ADD: I attempted to add page 16 in the gap after 15 and 16 is placed correctly, but 15 moved up. Think I'll just leave it alone.:confused::)

Master Oil Racing Team
09-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Final pages of the catalogue.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-28-2014, 07:25 AM
I originally thought about posting this last page horizontal, but then decided it was supposed to be what the catalogue pages were. But then, there would be nothing wrong with posting it horizontal now just in case someone wants to read the spec's without getting a crick in the neck.

smittythewelder
09-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Glad to see all the tech manual pages reproduced, Wayne. Sort of churlish to ask for more, but if you run across a drawing of the can muffler for the old FB engine, I'd sure like to see that (have an old, mildly hopped-up Y80, originally a Restricted B project, that I want to make into a playmotor, and think that old can muffler might work well. This was a project of a couple of years ago, but then I got stuck with being caregiver for an old gal dying of lung cancer (and for what this is worth to anyone, if you were to see close-hand what a hard, ugly way that is to die, you might never pick up another cigarette . . . ).

(Wayne, you should be getting the book in the mail any day now).

Master Oil Racing Team
09-28-2014, 12:57 PM
I did Smitty and many thanks. They will be very interesting to read. I've skipped through and read parts of both. I sent you a PM, but my box was full, so I cleared out a couple and it popped back up as a notification. I thought it went through.

I might have a drawing for the FB Smitty. I'm going to look after I post this, because I know right where it should be. Should is the key word.

ADD: Sorry Smitty, it wasn't there, just copies of the guts of the 4 cyl cans. I think I have seen or had one at one time.

Allen J. Lang
09-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi Wayne, Looking at the parts pricing, it remind me of the 60s when building a D quincy looper. The heavy duty rods were $11 plus change each. Try to find a used one now for around $100. Pricing today, it takes a bit of cash to even purchase a 125cc pro engine.The price for even a L/U is more than my D looper cost. You need a great job to run now.

Steve Litzell
09-28-2014, 07:10 PM
The cans on the two cylinder and four cylinder are very similar. Just imagine the motor with megaphone exhaust and a can around them. I think I have the measurements on the B at home but I'm working on the road for a few weeks, Steve

smittythewelder
09-29-2014, 07:03 AM
Steve, is the volume of the can not important? Is there no reflected positive wave of any consequence?

Wayne, no PM came through.

Steve Litzell
09-29-2014, 08:33 PM
No The can was just to quiet the motor. The megs inside did the tuning, The end of the can was hemispherical to bounce the waves toward the opening at other end. Of course the meg size and diameter was different on the four cylinders as opposed to the twins. Also the cans were the same OD, just different lengths, Steve

smittythewelder
09-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Drawing shows the can was rolled from 0.75mm sheet, about 22ga. As heavy as I remember those 4-cyl exhaust cans being, I'd have guessed a heavier guage. As to my Y-80 playmotor, I briefly considered trying to fabricate a set of pipes to make the Y-80 sound just like a converted 20H. That sound, of a field of BUs making a start at a spring Lake Lawrence race in 1964, instantly sold me on outboard racing; I loved that sound, and wish I could see one more BSH race before I croak. Unfortunately, I double-checked what I had done to my Y-80. I knew I had opened the ports a little, but when I got the block out of the dusty box, I saw that I had penciled "93" (degrees ATDC opening), which is for an engine that spins another couple of thousand rpm higher than a 20H. So I'll just make a quiet exhaust, which is probably smarter anyway.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Baldy called Mr. Keller on the telephone rather than write letters. We got our first Keller from Bryan Marine in Bryan, Texas run by Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch. It was 50-75 mph and just right for our brand new A-B DeSilva runabout. That one was brand new and had a light metallic blue face. Baldy also bought from Freddie and Arlen a used Keller that I think might have been something like 40-80 mph. Even though Baldy called Mr. Keller on the telephone, Keller always sent back a letter with a comment. Baldy would send our "Kellers" in periodically to be recalibrated, and then of course later we would buy "Keller's" direct when our speeds became greater. I think I only have one short comment left that Mr. Keller sent to Baldy inside a package of a recalibrated "Keller". I will post that note at the appropriate time in this thread.

Ron Hill
10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
I remember "KELLER" sending type written notes, always with news from the North West USA. He usually talked about the "FANTON" (Jerry Walin).

My brother's KR "A" in our show room has a Keller "TORQUE TUBE" (Mid section), All my three KG-4's had Keller thottle attachments.

We used Keller "KICK OUTS" but my dad machined "PIPES" to slip over the kick out pin that were much smaller in creating angles....from 1/8 diameter to 1/2 diameter, not to mention my dad made "THRUST BLOCKS" WITH A SCREW ADAPTER, MUCH LIKE BTM ADJUSTABLE BLOCKS TODAY.

smittythewelder
10-11-2014, 08:59 AM
"Fantum" (and his first name was spelled with a G).

Master Oil Racing Team
12-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Been awhile since I have done a continuous narrative for a couple of reasons. Number one is I have been busy at work, but mostly because I want to keep the story straight and tell it like it happened. Two things here have hampered me, and I have started writing notes, time frames, music broadcast from then to help me get it straight. And the fact that in 1968 I moved away from home, and thus lost the daily contact Baldy had with boat racing friends. There's a lot I would have known, and stuff he would talk to me about, but I wasn't there. Couple that with the fact that I was getting enough experience that I didn't write down everything I did or was advised to do in order to become a better mechanic. Jack Chance had things written down in his dark shop, but that was all about specifications. He already had that in his head when he started teaching me, and what he taught me was more hands on, and tedious crankshaft and rod spacing work.

The second and probably most important was that since I was away from home, and not working on boats or motors all the time I quit taking notes about the work, and the races. I was taking notes for my business administration classes and the other required classes plus electives. I was not writing down all the stuff we worked on for our racing agenda. Therefore, I remember a lot of what went on, but not exactly when things happened like I did when I was living in Alice and took notes. Since Bud Turcotte and I moved into San Marcos to go to Southwest Texas University I remembered most of everything on a time line, but it gets fuzzy within a few months either way from here on until after I graduated and started writing things down again. Some things until then are very specific on the time line, but other parts of the story I will have to take time to recollect and talk to friends about what they recall. It's been fun because I have talked to several before resuming this story.

This next story falls sometime between December 1968 and January or February of 1969.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Sometime at the end of the year of 1968 just before classes ended and everyone headed home for Christmas break and the end of the fall semester, or possibly at the beginning of the spring semester in the early January days of starting back to school, I had told Joe Rome we were going to paint some of our boats. One of them would be the B Hydro Marchetti that Ashley Lawrence ran over and cut in half at the NOA World Championship's at Baldy's house.

I was always partial to blue, and in fact had already had a couple of boats painted in a very ugly gray blue. When I told Joe that we were going to paint some boats he immediately injected "Don't paint them green". I asked "Why?". Joe said "Green is unlucky". I again asked "Why?" Joe replied "There was this guy racing NASCAR and he was the only guy with a green car. He got killed in a race. Since then nobody will drive a green car."

Then Joe gave me the warning "and don't EVER throw your helmet on a bed. If it lands upside down.....you could be killed." I always headed that warning all the rest of my racing career, but I did question Joe on the green car.

Having gotten to be good friends with Joe during the previous semester, and having ridden with him in his car to the Texan downhill from the campus many times, I had to confront Joe with my question "Why do YOU have a green car?" Joe cast his eyes to the floor and with a disgusted voice stated "I didn't know it was green." I started laughing...."What!....you didn't know it was green?................what did you do....buy it over the telephone?" Then Joe calmly stated "I am color blind".

It was a 1969 Gran Torino that was bluish green, or greenish blue.....I don't know, but for Joe and I it became a famous car for the many adventures ahead of us.

The rest of the story as Joe told me a couple of weeks ago. Joe was talking with a cousin of his right before this story and somehow the talk got to how Joe's cousin wasn't accepted into the navy many years before because he was color blind. Joe told him "I've got a bone to pick with you." His cousin was the the guy who sold Joe the "Blue" Gran Torino. Joe told his cousin he wanted a blue Gran Torino, and his cousin took him out into the lot to show him one, and Joe said "Yeah...that's the one. I'll take it."

Ketzer
01-26-2015, 07:23 PM
I remember hearing that green was unlucky; while I never thought to ask why, being naturally superstitious, I've always avoided the color, whether on boat, car, or motorcycle. I've wondered, though, if new paint would remove the curse.

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-26-2015, 10:04 PM
I remember hearing that green was unlucky; while I never thought to ask why, being naturally superstitious, I've always avoided the color, whether on boat, car, or motorcycle. I've wondered, though, if new paint would remove the curse.

Stevie:

Don't know whether you remember or not, but "Sooey Pig" was green with its first paint job. I will leave it to you to determine whether it was unlucky or not.

Ketzer
01-27-2015, 05:40 AM
That's right, Bill Van! We then painted it yellow and blue, but I still crashed it, breaking the "green" plexi-glass windshield that we replaced with clear, and then we were good to go...no more crashes.

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Stevie:

Don't know whether you saw the post or not, But Butch Leavendusky passed away last month. Thought you would like to know if you did not see the post.

Bill

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2015, 08:47 PM
I never knew the name "Butch" to be associated with Stan Leaveandusky, Jr. until Bill Van kept calling him that. I always called him Stan, and when I was always around his Dad..."the old man". my Dad Baldy was always talking to him. I was always there so I never had to actually be introduced or he be introduced to me. I knew who he was and vice versa. I have lots of pictures, and stories to tell about the Leaveandusky's coming up, but I want to say that Thanks to Bill Van....He kept me in the loop....and told me when was a good time to call Stan..."Butch"... after he had gone through a long tough time of treatment and came out feeling very good. It was when Bill Van told me to call and I did. It was the last time I talked to Butch. We had talked a lot at the DePue Reunion, but the last phone call was very special. I knew what he had gone through, and we had a lot of fun talking about our Dad's. A little while after we hung up I got a call from Bill Van. He told me that Butch called him and said "Guess who I just talked to?"

Bill Van called me a little bit later and thanked me for taking the time to call Butch and said that it meant a lot to him. I told Bill Van that I was very thankful that he let me know to call.

It was a year or so late rafterI last talked to him. I wish I would have called back several times before he passed because we were always friends and he would have liked a little more talking before he was done.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Back to the story. I had to go back and see if I had covered the beginning of 1969, and I had not.....so here goes.

Richard M. Nixon was sworn into office as President even as we were listening to the songs from the Beatles "White Album" being released. It was a double album, but the embossed The Beatles was hard to read so it was always known as the White Album. The thing to do a couple of weeks after the release was for us and our friends, and kids all across the nation was to listen to the songs and try to figure out the hidden messages or meanings behind each song. Might have been the first time many college students actually tried to use their analytical skills.

The top country and western stars were Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, Eddy Arnold, Don Gibson, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, and Merle Haggard. Top TV shows were Gomer Pyle USMC, Laugh In, Family Affair, Mayberry RFD, Bonanza and Bewitched.

Marvin Gaye had a top hit that has lasted generations and has been included in numerous documentaries of those times. It was entitled "What's Going on". What a song!

The Beatles performed an impromptu concert on the roof of the Apple recording studio in London. A movie was made of it. It was their last live performance. The Glen Campbell Hour debuted in January on TV.

A jet fired up it's engine on the U.S. Enterprise without a shield in place to block exhaust and it heated up armed heat seeking missiles in the aircrafts behind it. No safeguards back then and the first missile to shoot up the back of the fighter plane in front ignited a firestorm on the flight deck that ended up killing 27 crewmen, injuring 307, and destroying 15 aircraft.

After 148 years the Saturday Evening Post shut its doors. January 22nd a kid with a knife hijacked a plane leaving Key West and had it flown to Havana. On January 28 there was a blowout on a Union Oil platform in California resulting in 80 to 100,000 barrels of oil spilling into the Santa Barbara channel and coastline. It inspired liberal Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson to organize the first Earth Day in 1970. I have to admit that as a young college student at Southwest Texas I fell for the propaganda, and my first speech in speech class for the spring semester was anti oil and the pollution on the beaches at Santa Barbara.

In February the Doors TOUCH ME was number one. Elvis signed a contract for his first major appearance in thirteen years. He was to start at the Las Vegas International Hotel next summer. Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company played in New York at the Fillmore for the first time.

Yassar Arafat was elected leader of the PLO and Boeing's 747 aircraft made it's first flight.

Average new house in 1969 was 15,550. Rent averaged 135 with new cars averaging 3,270 and gasoline .35 per gallon.

1969 Was looking up to be a good year for racing. Baldy had made a lot of good contacts during the past year and followed them up with phone calls throughout the winter months. He liked to talk to fellow boat racers all the time on the telephone.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2015, 08:31 PM
As I mentioned, I had a speech class in the spring of my sophomore year. I didn't want to take it, but it was required. It was THE most hated class I took. I liked to talk to people, but I was a shy kid, and only liked to talk to friends one on one or in small numbers. I did not want to be a spokesman for a group of friends, or play any lead parts in groups. I happened to have lead roles in two melodramas in speech class in the 7th grade because I was one of the smallest kids and the teacher chose me to be the hero to go against my adversaries, the tallest kids, in order to rescue the heroin. I hated to sing, and I was only participating because I had no choice. The teacher was young, single and good looking, so I guess I didn't want to rebel too much though as a very young teenager.

Speech class in college though was a bunch of BS. Why did I need that. There were other things I needed to learn besides talking to a group of students whom most I didn't know, never would, didn't care, and they felt the same. If most of the teachers that had taught for so many years in front of groups of people weren't interesting, then why should I be able to have any interesting presentation, or why would any of my other classmates be able to pull it off. I know why they did it, and I knew that back then that it was to try to help business majors be comfortable speaking in front of a group. It didn't work then, and if they still do it the same way....it will not work now. It was just a credit I got, but it was a lousy class and wasted time to get it.

The Santa Barbara oil spill though actually got me headed on the environmental path. It was in its infancy. I bought all of it. The media was all over the oil spill and politicians took note. No one wants to hurt the environment. It's in our own interest to do what we can to protect it. That's what I saw in the beginning. I never threw trash out of the car, but Bud Turcotte and I were extremely accurate in tossing out Dr. Pepper bottles to smash against roadside markers and signs on our way to and from San Marcos. It took awhile, but I quit tossing bottles after it sunk in that I was polluting with the broken glass.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2015, 09:13 PM
I don't remember exactly when this took place, but it was sometime after Joe Rome and I got back to school for the final semester of the year. It was before racing began though and I think it probably came up because it was nearing the same time period that Joe Bowdler had died the previous year. His death was profound for both Joe and I and we both had great respect and admiration for his parents. It was Joe who came up with the idea. He said we need to take the Bowdler's out to dinner. I agreed.

It was more common then for younger people to wear a suit and tie. I had such garments in my closet and so did Joe. Joe did all the legwork. I don't know how he got Sid's home phone number, but it could be found in a number of ways. Sid Bowdler worked at a very successful auto dealer in San Antonio, Texas by the name of Smith. Joe called up Sid and told him that we wanted to take him and his wife Maragret to dinner. I didn't call up Joe to ask what he remembered about all this so he can correct any thing I forgot tomorrow. Or the next day. Anyway, Joe and Sid agreed on the day and time. Seems to me it was midweek and Joe and I were not pressed for time.

Joe drove us the forty miles or so south to San Antonio in his famous "Green" Toronado. We met the Bowdlers at their home, and Sid drove us to the restaurant. I can't remember what cars the dealership sold, but I remember that Sid drove a luxury car and that we had a luxurious ride. Can't remember anything about the food.....just the company. Sid and his wife were very pleased about the dinner. We talked about their son Joe of course, but Sid was very insistent that we keep on course that Joe Bowdler, his son, would have wanted. We had a very good time at that dinner. After leaving Sid and his wife, Joe and I were riding high on the way back to San Marcos. Not only had Sid and his wife entertained us with lots of talk, but we both knew and could see how much enjoyment they had in our asking them out for dinner.

Ketzer
03-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Great stories, Wayne. Glad to see you back on it. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger about the college brainwashing. I came out of the University of Colorado convinced I was a communist and had two bumper stickers on the back of my '65 Chevy Van: one read "Solar Power" and the other "No Nukes."

Master Oil Racing Team
03-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks Steve. We were and are the group that the commies target. Fortunately most college students come around after they get jobs where they have to pay taxes.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-29-2015, 08:28 PM
We were gearing up for the upcoming racing season and Baldy was prepared. He studied not only the NOA rulebook, but also the APBA. After I told him about all the guys I saw at DePue when my sister Brenda and pit man Bud Turcotte drove up there to pick up three Marchetti hydros, the gears in his brain had been grinding. I didn't know it at the time, but he had decided we were going to do some racing at American Power Boat Association sanctioned events. The first one was going to be the APBA Golden Shores Winternationals at Needles, California. It was promoted as I remember as Needles, CA, and that's where we stayed, but the pits were a little way back east near Topock, Arizona.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-30-2015, 07:41 PM
There were ads in some boat racing publications about the $30,000 purse at the Golden Shores Winternationals, but I think Baldy had already heard about it from Ken or Gloria Steelman. They came to see us a few months earlier when Baldy hosted the second half of the N.O.A. World Championships. Baldy and the Steelman's hit it off magnificently. As soon as they got back to California Baldy was on the mailing list for the Los Angeles Speedboat Association. LASA.

Between what I had reported to Baldy about some NOA racers racing APBA at DePue, and what the Steelman's said, and who knows what Doc Collins and Ted May might have told him, Baldy decided we were going to the Winternationals at Needles in early 1969.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-31-2015, 05:20 AM
There were ads in some boat racing publications about the $30,000 purse at the Golden Shores Winternationals, but I think Baldy had already heard about it from Ken or Gloria Steelman. They came to see us a few months earlier when Baldy hosted the second half of the N.O.A. World Championships. Baldy and the Steelman's hit it off magnificently. As soon as they got back to California Baldy was on the mailing list for the Los Angeles Speedboat Association. LASA.

Between what I had reported to Baldy about some NOA racers racing APBA at DePue, and what the Steelman's said, and who knows what Doc Collins and Ted May might have told him, Baldy decided we were going to the Winternationals at Needles in early 1969.
Steelman's

Wayne, even being from the East coast I became very good friend with the Steelmans. Always searched them out when at Depue or APBA national meetings. They were boat racing throughout just as Charlotte & Clyde Queen were.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-31-2015, 07:08 AM
That's right John. They lived to travel and write and promote boat racing all across the country.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Baldy had sold both our DeSilva runabouts, but I do not know who bought them. I think they must have been sold separately and probably to Lone Star Boat Racing Association members. If so, they must have painted them. I might not guess the Jumbo DeSilva if it went to North Texas because it was bought used and I didn't have any good recollections of driving it. Only when it did a 90 degree separation from me at Texarkana almost two years earlier. Our original DeSilva runabout I would have remembered if it stayed in the circuit with the same paint scheme. It was beautiful, and the best runabout I ever drove.....if I could have drove one competently.

Since I was a college and not around the house in Alice, Texas I did not hear from Baldy what he was up to. Since I was in college and Baldy was not around the college in San Marcos Baldy did not hear what I was up to. We got along together great, but we did not call back and forth about what was going on. In those days I did not like to use the telephone. Still don't for the most part. Would rather talk to someone in person, but it's tough to do that anymore.

As we were packing up for Needles, we did not have a runabout on our trailer.

smittythewelder
04-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Fun reminiscences, Wayne.

One of the less-pleasing things about getting old is that the younger generations often don't get your (my) jokes. Couple of weeks ago I was walking past a pet store on the way into the supermarket. Out front, a young gal had set up a couple of folding tables, upon which she had two or three cages of pet rabbits. These bunnies had been abandoned by their owners, and this sweet young woman was trying to find them new homes.

Always the wiseacre, I said, "You have all of these domestic breeds. But do you ever get a wild hare?"

Alas, it went right over her head.

Steve Litzell
04-03-2015, 03:50 PM
YEOW! Smitty! But where is the joKe in Wayne's post?? Benn in plenty DeSilva boats and what he said was pretty much it. Us old flatbottom guy's can tell stories and some of the best come from Nicholson! Steve

smittythewelder
04-03-2015, 09:28 PM
I didn't think there was a joke there, Steve. As long as Wayne was leading us through the Sixties, a couple of posts back, I thought I'd throw in one our stupid sayings of the day.

Remember when an automatic transmission was called a "slush," and in high school only a real grope would drive anything with a slush or four doors?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-04-2015, 09:24 AM
I never heard of a slush or a grope Smitty. Some things must be regional. When someone stomped the gas and spun the tires we called it "burning rubber", or "peeling out", but my girlfriend's step brother came down from Detroit to spend the summer of '67 with his Dad, and he called it "patching".

Bill Van Steenwyk
04-04-2015, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Master Oil Racing Team;145712]I never heard of a slush or a grope Smitty. Some things must be regional. When someone stomped the gas and spun the tires we called it "burning rubber", or "peeling out", but my girlfriend's step brother came down from Detroit to spend the summer of '67 with his Dad, and he called it "patching".[/QUOTE}

Wayne:

The term "slush box" along with "yankee stick shift" was common during that time as far south as Little Rock. I never heard the term "grope" used in any other way than to indicate a nefarious use of the hands on your girlfriend, probably in your car parked someplace dark. The only thing we ever called 4 doors was "old folks cars". As you said, some expressions are regional, but some made it all the way around the US, especially terms used by hot rodders as this was the time frame drag racing became popular and it exploded with drag strips constructed almost everywhere and the magazines that covered it.

smittythewelder
04-04-2015, 09:54 PM
A grope was roughly synonymous with a dork, nitwit, dweeb, geek, lamebrain, doofus, donkey, putz, clod, lunkhead, clueless boob, dingbat, and probably a few dozen other terms for the socially inept, young Smitty having been a prime example. Not used a lot in Seattle, but I heard it a few times when in Anchorage. I never heard of a yankee stick shift.

Gene East
04-08-2015, 02:46 PM
A grope was roughly synonymous with a dork, nitwit, dweeb, geek, lamebrain, doofus, donkey, putz, clod, lunkhead, clueless boob, dingbat, and probably a few dozen other terms for the socially inept, young Smitty having been a prime example. Not used a lot in Seattle, but I heard it a few times when in Anchorage. I never heard of a yankee stick shift.

I've heard a lot of those terms, but never heard "grope" except per Bill's definition. "Slush box" was a commonly used term in the Midwest, but the old "Stick shift" was universal for a manual.

My high school driver's education car was a 1957 Chevy with a "Stick shift". I was the second student to drive that car. If we had only known what a '57 Chevy would become.

My ex-brother-in-law had a 57 Chevy (stick shift of course) that he often loaned me to date his wife's sister. There may have been some "groping" going on in that car, but I'll never tell.

Ah, sweet memories!

Steve Litzell
04-08-2015, 03:34 PM
I've heard a lot of those terms, but never heard "grope" except per Bill's definition. "Slush box" was a commonly used term in the Midwest, but the old "Stick shift" was universal for a manual.

My high school driver's education car was a 1959 Chevy with a "Stick shift". I was the second student to drive that car. If we had only known what a '59 Chevy would become.

My ex-brother-in-law had a 59 Chevy (stick shift of course) that he often loaned me to date his wife's sister. There may have been some "groping" going on in that car, but I'll never tell.

Ah, sweet memories!

If you don't want to tell gene, Will you show us the pictures?????:cool::)

Gene East
04-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Steve,

You are a dirty old man. Perhaps that's why I like you!

Steve Litzell
04-09-2015, 01:51 AM
Thanks Gene, Just trying to do my part!

Master Oil Racing Team
04-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Baldy had a Chrysler station wagon . Don't recall the model, but he always bought the model that had the most powerful engine. It might have had the 440 engine we had so much trouble with on the New Yorker that Mark blew up and gave us those very memorable moments on the trip to and from Floyd Hopkins' prop shop at Covington, Louisiana. It probably was for that reason of our history of the 440 motor that Baldy had loaded two or three 5 gallon containers of gasoline as well as a couple of containers of tap water from our house in Alice.

It was the weekend before we left that I drove home to help Baldy get everything together. Jack Chance couldn't get away to make the trip, but I think he was there to help us get everything together. Knowing Baldy...he two probably had Clayton and Doris Elmer and their kids Paula and Donny over for a get together before we headed out. After all....this was our first American Power Boat Association race. Some of the guys from Dallas ran alky and mod with Dudley Malone, Kenny Bayers and others like Benny Bob Baron, from Lubbock at that time, as well as N.E. "Fitz" Fitzgibbon and his son James. Also racing from Lubbock, Texas as well were Ron Jones and Donald Brady. We didn't know them at the time, but they ran alky and mod across Texas and Oklahoma. We had some inboard hydro guys in the triangle area of Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange Texas that raced APBA, and DR. William Triplett in Corpus Christi.

Doc Triplett was the only APBA guy we knew at that time. Baldy had know him already for awhile, as he had made contact earlier when he found out he was an avid boat racer.

Boats had been loaded, tied down and everything ready to go for Baldy to head out. Bud Turcotte could not go for a pit man. Gerel Malmstrom though wanted to go out west with us. He had no experience, but all we needed was someone to help lift boats off and on the trailer, and hold one side of the transom up for starting. We could train him after we got there.

oldalkydriver
04-19-2015, 04:00 AM
Hi Guy's. When you people started talking about things and language that used to be reminded me of some research I did a year or so ago. HOWEVER first off, I mean nothing by what words the research reveal's. Or anything about ethnic backgrounds.

For the last six odd years, almost all of the things I wanted to write or say, have been stymied by a recently coined term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"! Although I consider myself rather fluent in the English language, that term was not in my vocabulary. My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to do a little research and after two weeks of chasing fruitless leads, I found what I'd been looking for at the Truman Library and Museum in Independence Missouri. An unnamed source there sent me copies of four telegrams that were between Harry Truman and Douglas MacArthur on the day before the actual signing of the Surrender Agreement. The contents of those four telegrams below are exactly as received, not a word has been added or deleted!

(1) Tokyo,Japan - 0800-September 1,1945
To: President Harry S Truman
Tomorrow we meet with those yellow bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minute instructions!

(2) Washington, D C - 1300-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur
Congratulations, job well done, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese when discussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of your remarks are fundamentally not politically correct!

(3) Tokyo, Japan - 1630-September 1, 1945
To: H S Truman
Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I are somewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?

(4) Washington, DC - 2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick main stream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end!

racnbns
04-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Hi Guy's. When you people started talking about things and language that used to be reminded me of some research I did a year or so ago. HOWEVER first off, I mean nothing by what words the research reveal's. Or anything about ethnic backgrounds.

For the last six odd years, almost all of the things I wanted to write or say, have been stymied by a recently coined term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"! Although I consider myself rather fluent in the English language, that term was not in my vocabulary. My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to do a little research and after two weeks of chasing fruitless leads, I found what I'd been looking for at the Truman Library and Museum in Independence

\\

Missouri. An unnamed source there sent me copies of four telegrams that were between Harry Truman and Douglas MacArthur on the day before the actual signing of the Surrender Agreement. The contents of those four telegrams below are exactly as received, not a word has been added or deleted!

(1) Tokyo,Japan - 0800-September 1,1945
To: President Harry S Truman
Tomorrow we meet with those yellow bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minute instructions!

(2) Washington, D C - 1300-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur
Congratulations, job well done, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese when discussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of your remarks are fundamentally not politically correct!

(3) Tokyo, Japan - 1630-September 1, 1945
To: H S Truman
Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I are somewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?

(4) Washington, DC - 2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick main stream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end!

RIGHT ON!

Bruce

Gene East
04-19-2015, 07:46 AM
I was only 4 years old at the time, so I don't remember this, but what I do remember a few years later was, " Give 'em hell, Harry"!

America could use a few good men with "BALLS" like Truman, MacArthur, and Nimitz today!

R Austin
04-20-2015, 01:55 PM
"delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick main stream media"

I wonder if Truman realized that he had discovered what would turn out to be the beginning of the end of the GREAT AMERICAN POLITICATIONS. Would be nice to have leaders that have guts enough recognize and to tell it like it is.

Steve Litzell
04-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Now Dick and Gene, You know we can't do that because it might hurt someones feelings, and then we would have to go to sensitive training to get these bad thoughts out of our minds. And if that don't work then more extensive training will be done, This was and has been tried before, and is being done daily at the Government schools we proudly send our kids to. Oh I guess I need some sensitivity training, Sorry! Steve

Gene East
04-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Steve,

I drive a school bus during the school year. I see everyday how WELL our government schools are working. We are in deep DO-DO!
We provide transportation for the parochial schools as well.
The product they (parochial schools) turn out is far better than the public schools.
The best kids I deal with on the 5 routes I drive daily, are the Catholic kids from St. Peters.
My Hard-shell Baptist Grandmother would be spinning in her grave if she heard me say that.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-21-2015, 08:22 PM
I didn't want to get political on this thread. I just wanted to tell Baldy's story from my point of view. He was very political in his points of view, and that's where my viewpoints come from. Baldy was very savvy on what could happen if our politicians didn't change, and it turns out what he told me in 1968 has come true.

smittythewelder
04-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Lost my dad two and a half years ago, and while it was an appropriate time for him to go, at 91 years old but with his mind still good, I sure do miss him sometimes. Or maybe I miss the old days, that he was so much a part of. It's funny what we pick up from our dads. I didn't end up with his rather simplistic politics for instance, yet I can see where mine do come from his baseline ethics and attitudes. He had his faults, but I wouldn't trade dads with anyone. I sure wish I had met your dad though, Wayne, from your stories of him and from the descriptions of other old racers who knew the two of you. Keep the stories coming; this sort of thing seems to me to be the very best kind of tribute any dad could get from his kids.

Gene East
04-22-2015, 03:53 AM
I didn't want to get political on this thread. I just wanted to tell Baldy's story from my point of view. He was very political in his points of view, and that's where my viewpoints come from. Baldy was very savvy on what could happen if our politicians didn't change, and it turns out what he told me in 1968 has come true.

Wayne, I'm sorry if I have been a party to straying from the purpose of this thread.

We all learn from our Fathers, May we always honor them in all we do.

Thank you so much for all you do to perpetuate precious memories for all of us.

DeanFHobart
05-13-2015, 11:28 AM
It was there that the 200mph barrier was cracked for the first time. It was I believe in 1973 and I took pictures.

Wayne,

Was that Eddie Hill out of Wichita Falls, Texas?

Dean.............................................. .................................................. .............................

DeanFHobart
05-13-2015, 11:49 AM
I will say though, that I would never had remembered as much as I have since I started this thread without a lot of deep thinking and triggers. If it were not for BRF, and people like you, Joe Rome, Bill Van and others who have expressed an interest, I could not have been inspired to do this. I thank everyone who has had an interest in following this thread because I feel it in some ways reflects a lot of the same things they did when racing, and we all share the common love of boat racing. Boat racing will never be the same. It never was and never will be. Things change, but it's fun to look back at some of the things us boat racers of the era did and saw. And this gives me a good time to remind all you young boat racers out there to take pictures, take notes, and pack rat them away for the future like Ron, Danny, Lars and others have done. And Marlee.....thanks much. A lot of people will be thanking you in the future for what you are doing today.

Wayne,

These "Mouth Watering Stories" of Boat Racing, Baldy's Recipes, and Texas Barbeque are fantastic.

Thanks,

Dean Hobart............................................ ..........

Master Oil Racing Team
05-15-2015, 08:07 PM
I have to refer back to my article in Motorsport Dean. It could have been Eddie Hill, but I do not recall. If not, it was just before he started making his mark.

I've been thinking about the next recipe for awhile Dean, and I haven't been able to decide which one. I know I need to do it soon though. I was just getting onto our first APBA race, but got in the middle of a major remodel of our master bathroom (not my idea of course, but doesn't mean I don't have to play a part), and so I have not been able to put together the next part of Baldy's story. I will check out who the driver and boat were though very soon.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Sorry Dean my darkroom is so packed up with stuff I can't open the cabinet door to get to the Motorsports collection. I could do it, but it would take a half an hour and I would have to put all that stuff back again. We should have been done two weeks ago, but after years of a drought, we are catching up all at once with rain, and no one can work. Should start putting things back together by midweek and getting the darkroom cleared out. Seems like it is a good place to put stuff when the wife needs room. Cramps my style though. So how about an easy, quick recipe that's very tasty before I get back to the story?

Master Oil Racing Team
05-16-2015, 08:04 PM
I got a recipe to do that happens to coincide with this year of 1969. Baldy invented it sometime in the early summer of 1969. He cooked it a number of times, but he later perfected it, and many a boat racer has had the pleasure to have eaten it at Baldy's table. Haven't grilled it myself in awhile and this would be a good time to do it. I will also "Try" to recreat the origin of this recipe on a barbeque pit where it was first invented out of necessity, and the good stories that go along with it.

DeanFHobart
05-29-2015, 10:17 AM
We didn't just hand out samples to whoever pitted next to us or nearby Steve. If Baldy heard about a problem freeing up a part, or something he thought Master Oil could help, he would give them a spray can or metal 8 oz can. Then he would explain how to use it, especially if heat was required. If you or your Dad had mentioned anything about airplanes and "Mouse Milk" Baldy would have sent you home with one or more samples of THE MASTER OIL to give it a try.

Boeing out of Seattle bought a LOT of Master Oil at one time. They bought so much that the manufacturer's representative approached Baldy about buying his company. I will not mention the name, but it is part of the story that will come up much later. They had found lots of good uses for it, but one was that the machines that polished aluminum were able to polish two sides at once. The polishing media didn't clog up, and they were able to skip a couple of steps in the polishing.

Except for extreme situations, THE MASTER OIL might seem to first time users an expensive oil. It became so prized, hoarded and cherished when people found that they could salvage parts they thought were lost due to extreme corrosion and or welded together because of electrolosis of dissimilar metals. What manufacturers found was that on extremely hard or very soft metals, THE MASTER OIL was a genius:D. That in a nutshell is why THE MASTER OIL never became mainstream, and is like a "CULT" oil. Since it was never nationally distributed by common retailers (specialty outlets serving the oil industry, refining, offshore drilling, etc were another story), the only people that know about it hoard it. I know friends that have kept a can for twenty or thirty years because they didn't know if they could ever get another can when they especially needed it.

I will send you a can Steve. Try it and tell me what you think.

Wayne,

Is Master Oil still made and distributed? Is it like WD-40 or LPS?

If it is not still made...... Why not?

Thanks, Dean............................

Master Oil Racing Team
05-29-2015, 08:12 PM
My brother Mark still makes it Dean, but not like the original. As far as distribution goes, it is probably 99 percent industrial. He sells only to wholesalers who have tax certificates so he doesn't have to mess with all the tax collection BS. There are a few...less than a dozen dealers that have been buying it since the 1960's that he still supplies that sell to the public.

It is used like WD40 or LPS but it is not anywhere close in chemistry. The former are petroleum based and Master Oil is vegetable based. You can get it on your skin and it will moisturize it. It has an extremely high flash point. It will not flash in an open cup flash test. It takes a closed cup flash test and then it will flash at 450 F. We used it in our alky motors for a top cylinder lubricant and in our lower units to protect the gears in an extreme environment with a very small reservoir.

It has a very high coefficient of friction and thus was a slick oil to use for machining. It replaced sperm oil from the whales for many companies for awhile after harvesting of sperm whales were banned. While Baldy was promoting The Master Oil across the country as an alternative to sperm oil, other manufacturers were busy working up synthetics. They had more money and reach. The synthetics caught up and equaled Master Oil in properties a few years later, but they still are not natural oils.

There is no way though that Master Oil could ever compete with big manufacturers because the supply of the base oil is limited and costly. It all has to do with agriculture and specific production procedures. The Master Oil is a byproduct that was once considered a waste product. A chemist that worked with Baldy on his failed Aloe Vera project told him that this oil had very unique properties, and that's when Baldy launched the project. That was in 1966. I still get it at a local hardware store about ten miles down the road, but I have no idea where else it is.

If you want to try some, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

DeanFHobart
06-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Wayne,

Are you going to continue these stories to the end of your racing career?

I remember seeing you at Lawrence Lake about 1973 or 1974. You smoked the F Hydro Record, in your Tim Butts Aero Wing. I'm sure you were going close to 100 mph.

I sent you an e-mail with my phone number to call me.... Thanks.

Dean.............................................. ..............

Master Oil Racing Team
06-02-2015, 08:23 PM
I will give you a call Dean.

I do plan to go to the end and beyond because after we quit racing.....as the Texas song goes.......the party never ends. Baldy cherished the times he spent with the lifelong friends we met racing all the way to the end.

I haven't continued in a straight line for awhile for a couple of reasons. Besides the oilfield up and down , we have been remodeling our bathroom and next it replacing the roof. I would post pictures of the disaster areas that were former living areas that are compacted with boxes, and stuff, but worst of all is my darkroom. I don't want to show anyone how packed off it is. That's not the hard part.

The main reason I have had to hold back besides not being able to access documents and pictures I know I have is the fact that from now on, I don't have the notes I took when I first started racing. Those early years I have locked in my memory because of the thrills of speed, the excitement and I wrote notes down to help me get it right....and to record what I was able to do.

I still wrote things down and had notes at the point in the story that we are, but eighteen months later a hurricane blew Baldy's house away, and much was lost. Including some trophies I won in the next event coming up. I am having to look at photos, read stories, and letters and try to recall events. It was not until 1972 that I started to take notes again. So I apologize Dean, and others that are waiting, for taking so long to keep going on this thread. I am writing down the interesting, factual and funny things for spring and summer of 1969 things I want to post here, but I want it to be in order....in the days and months it happened. A lot went on and that's why it's taking so long.

DeanFHobart
06-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks Wayne,

Dean........................................

Master Oil Racing Team
06-04-2015, 07:12 AM
I haven't found an email yet Dean. When did you send it? I went back to May 29. Try again or PM me. I cleaned out some of my messages.

DeanFHobart
06-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Wayne,

Sent you a Private Message with my Home Cell.

Dean.............................................. ..............

smittythewelder
06-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Dean, have you ever told us about your dad? Not only was he your faithful pit crew and fan at every race, as I recall from the Sixties, I remember hearing that he was your A Stock engine ace. I was just a dumb kid, and your dad was pretty quiet, not outgoing like say Downing's dad or Ray Lee, so he and I never had more than a few words between us, which I now regret. There were quite a few people the memory of whom makes me wish I had talked to them when I had the chance, and surely learned something, whether about racing or anything.

--Phil Smith

DeanFHobart
06-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Dean, have you ever told us about your dad? Not only was he your faithful pit crew and fan at every race, as I recall from the Sixties, I remember hearing that he was your A Stock engine ace. I was just a dumb kid, and your dad was pretty quiet, not outgoing like say Downing's dad or Ray Lee, so he and I never had more than a few words between us, which I now regret. There were quite a few people the memory of whom makes me wish I had talked to them when I had the chance, and surely learned something, whether about racing or anything.

--Phil Smith

Thanks Phil,

I will do this some day............ But on a separate Thread of course. You're correct that my Dad 'and Mother' were my faithful pit crew and fans.

Dean.............................................. .........

Master Oil Racing Team
07-18-2015, 07:06 PM
I got a list of suppliers that sell The Master Oil in your area Dean. There are probably a dozen, but I'll bet they will not stock it these days. They will have to order it from my brother Mark. I called you a couple of weeks ago to ask where to send the list, but I didn't leave a message. Been busy. Will PM you the list.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-21-2015, 09:04 PM
I had to go back away to see where I left off. I have remembered some other stuff in the meantime and have to figure out when it fits in. There were a few things before we left such as Baldy's phone calls. And also there were some advertisements about the race that I have seen. May have to insert later because I have dawdled too long and not found what I was looking for. My darkroom is still filled up from our remodeling, but slowly by slowly I am getting it cleaned out so I can find the negatives, positives, and paperwork I can use to keep the story going.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-24-2015, 08:00 PM
We left San Marcos, Texas sometime after noon. I always tried to get the earliest classes I could so I could be finished by noon or 1:oo. With Gerel, I have no idea. He just did what he wanted to do and laughed about it....although I think under his cover he did try to be responsible.

Baldy swung by the apartment Bud and I had down the main drag of Guadalupe. It entered onto Ranch Road 12 heading to Wimberly and Blanco Texas. Gerel and I had all our stuff together and we got in Baldy's Chrysler Newport station wagon. It was about 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon when we headed out. Might have been a little earlier, but we headed west toward US 281 then south to pick up IH 10 going west toward California. It was designated IH10 back then but it was no more an interstate highway than most of our US highways in Texas. It was only two lane, no shoulders and in the Hill Country of Texas is way up, down, left and right, and you had to be on your toes. Since then it has been shaved down and widened, but in those days....it was very interesting driving. Nothing like Colorado, but for Texas...it was a fun drive.

Baldy wanted to get as far as we could the first night. We would have started earlier, but Baldy always insisted on going to our classes.

Baldy had never met Gerel until he loaded his gear into the Newport Station Wagon. Along the way, and with Gerel's kind of offbeat sense of humor, Baldy got to get a sense of our new pit man. We drove into the darkness. We got as far Fort Stockton or maybe Van Horn before we had to shut down for the night.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Got back from a funeral a few hours ago. But it was what they call a celebration of life. Joyce Turcotte brought friends from Dallas to the Valley and all around to gather to honor her and bless her and all the memories we all had from the days she was with us. Her husband, Louis Edgar, Jr. had passed before her. Those two were a pair to be reckoned with. They were, along with Velma Mynier aka Mamaw, ringleaders in the non racing crowd that Baldy hung out with at Pernitas Point. We had gotten acquainted with their kids through my brother Mark in 1966. You can read about all that close to the beginning of this thread. Four of my pit men from those days came from the Turcotte family. In all, there were six of my pit crew at the funeral, including all the girls. Betsy, Susan, Jeanie and Mary Jean. Bud and Andy Turcotte were the two guys. You can read about some of our exploits on an early page, especially about Bud and Daria at Forest Lake, Minnesota. In this photo, which I posted earlier, you can see Joyce just above my head and behind me at the famous Cadillac Bar in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

smittythewelder
01-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Web question: On a lot of your posts, but none of mine, at the bottom after the text there are two little black boxes with X's inside them. What are they for? Nothing has ever happened when I click on them.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-31-2016, 03:58 PM
That has something to do with a project that went on a few years ago I think Smitty. I could be wrong, but a few years back Ron and some other people were trying to get a certain type of boat and class going that would help stimulate boat racing and bring in new members. They needed some boats built and design work, etc and they had asked for donations to further the effort. Anyone that contributed to the project got recognition through some kind of banner or whatever it's called at the bottom of each post. There were two things. I don't remember that much about either of them, but I'm pretty sure that X marks the spots, and now that they ran their course, the banners came down, but the X's are stuck in the program in the computer. That's my best guess.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-31-2016, 08:47 PM
Found my pictures from the 1969 Winternationals I had posted at that same site. The ones I had scanned when I first posted them went to the graveyard of old computers because the guy who said he could save them wasn't able to. In those days I sometimes put pictures and negatives that I did not have filed from 1972 on in envelopes so I knew that I had already posted them. Now the story of Baldy continues.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-31-2016, 09:22 PM
We got up early the next morning to get a good start. Baldy knew it would be hot in the middle of the afternoon and he wanted to get as many miles behind us while it was cool. The desert could be a problem. Vehicles today do not have the same trouble as back then. When a motor overheated in those days, the water and coolant overflowed and was gone. When everything cooled down....water and coolant levels were down too. Now you still had the desert to contend with, but not as much in the radiator as before.

Fuel, water, and us were topped up before we headed west with the morning sun behind us. We were all looking at the sights. The west can be very cruel, but also inspiring and beautiful depending upon how you are caught up in it. For us, it was an exciting and adventurous morning, catching glimpses of things we were not used to. The landscape, battered homesteads scattered around, old broken down house trailers with stuff protectively piled up around them, tires, cactus, sand, and nobody out walking around during the heat of the day.

Driving toward Needles, and looking around. Hour after hour is what we did. Not much traffic. The roadbed was hot. It was narrow. No shoulders. And it would be very easy to fall asleep after eating a big lunch. I Don't recall that we did. I do remember though passing through the lava fields that I had recalled from our quick summer vacation some years back when Baldy outraced the dust storm that would have probably killed our Mom. I also recalled from that same trip the road sign pointing toward Truth or Consequences in New Mexico. I had puzzled over that as a kid because I had watched the TV show with Bob Barker as host titled "Truth or Consequences". I didn't question the name any more, just had fond thoughts of seeing it again and remembering it from the days our Mom was with us.

smittythewelder
01-31-2016, 10:23 PM
Desert driving: I vaguely recall from the Fifties a big canvas water-bag, hung outside the car in the windstream, IIRC, that would allow some of the water to slowly soak through the material so that the moisture evaporating off of the surface of the bag would keep the rest of the contents relatively cool.

Truth or Consequences, NM, yeah that was one of the points of interest, another being the ancient indian cliff dwellings (Arizona or NM, I forget now). Do you recall getting to stop to see those? I remember being about nine, and we had hiked up to the entrance of the cliff dwellings, and we looked out across the landscape below while the park guide talked of the indian women having to walk some enormous distance to fill their water-pots and carry them back on their heads.

Of course one of the best things about driving cross-country before the freeway system was the Burma Shave signs.

Ketzer
02-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Sorry to hear of your friend passing, Wayne, but great to see your story continue. Yeah, Smitty, Burma Shave signs, for sure. Tom Waits wrote a great song back in the 70s called, "Burma Shave." You can see it online.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-14-2016, 08:50 PM
We did not see any of the cliff dwellings Smitty, but I do remember the Burma Shave signs very well. Us kids would look out the window when my Dad or Mom would holler "Burma Shave!" I'm sure they were in other places, but the only ones I can recall are US 59 going to Houston, US 281 going to San Antonio and points north, but mostly out west on US 90 and parts of Route 66. That's where the really stood out in the landscape.

Have to check out that song Steve. I put up a "Burma Shave" type spaced sign back in the second election for Obama down one of our country roads. Somebody messed with it a couple of times, but I think most people enjoyed it.

I don't want to get sidetracked again on this thread, but I think a lot of young kids have no clue what a "Burma Shave" was. I don't know anyone that ever used Burma Shave, but before TV and mass media, they sure had a clever way to advertise. Except maybe it was mostly in the desert or in the west. Do any racers from the East ever remember these signs?

PS.

These are "Green" signs. I had a bunch of paint I needed to get rid of. I don't dump stuff like that. I was an original environmentalist. Why pay to add a hardener into paint, then throw it in a dump? Use it up for a good cause.

smittythewelder
02-14-2016, 09:43 PM
MAD magazine, the preferred reading of dorky 15-year-old boys in the late-fifties/early-Sixties (MAD actually had some very talented people in those days) of course had to do their own little send-up of the Burma Shave signs (just imagine a row of the signs, receding into the distance along a lonely road):

"Her guy's whiskers
. . . . just don't faze her
. . . . . . . . He shaves with
. . . . . . . . . . an electric razor
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Why bother with
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Burma Shave

(Wayne, I don't want to sidetrack your thread. Let me know when you've seen this, and I'll delete it)

Master Oil Racing Team
02-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Don't delete it Smitty. Your stuff adds to this thread. You're just a little older than me and bring up things that I remember. I had planned to do some Burma Shave stuff way back when, but business got very busy, then it quit and I kind of slacked off this thread. It was me that was the threat of getting it sidetracked by posting my Obama signs. I did that in 2012 because I had remembered the impact of driving along and seeing the first one, then everyone inside read each sign as we came to it. I thought it would help get my message across.

I said I didn't want to get sidetracked on the political stuff as a warning, but I did want to send a demonstration to the younger generation of what the Burma Shave signs were all about. Maybe Bill Van knows of some from his area, but I don't remember seeing them in the Midwest.

You keep on what you're doing Smitty as far as adding to what was going on in those days.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-18-2016, 06:12 AM
Wayne,

I sure remember them out East but could have been when traveling west to the Mid West nationals, SO & Alky or south. Can someone post a picture of one? Maybe googling for an old picture. I can try later today.

A/B Speedliner
02-18-2016, 10:26 AM
The Burma Shave signs started in the 1920's and last until 1963 when the company was sold to Philip Morris who was supposed to remove the 7000 sets of signs.
Eventually, the signs spread to every state, with a few exceptions. No “official” signs appeared in Arizona, New Mexico, or Nevada because of low traffic density. Massachusetts received no signs because winding roads and excessive foliage made it hard to find enough locations to justify placing them there.

David

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Wayne,

I sure remember them out East but could have been when traveling west to the Mid West nationals, SO & Alky or south. Can someone post a picture of one? Maybe googling for an old picture. I can try later today.
https://asapcdn.com/?w=133&h=100&i=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FNjE5WDkxOQ %3D%3D%2Fz%2Fu50AAOSwWnFWCEHT%2F%24_3.JPG

http://burma-shave.org/jingles/

smittythewelder
02-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Any of you who were kids in those days will remember this: riding in the back of the family car maybe with other sibs on a vacation trip, and seeing a row of Burma Shave signs coming up . . . on the wrong side of the road . . . so of course you twist around in your seat (bench seat, no seatbelts) and read the signs in reverse order, trying to memorize them and then shout out the jingle in the correct order before your brother can do it!! (Life's pleasures could be so simple then . . . ).

Ron Hill
02-18-2016, 11:50 AM
I was sure that was a Burma Shave sign, but did not see it listed..." Remember Sonny, The Rabbit's Foot Didn't Save the Bunny." I always like that one... This wasn't Berma Shave, but I always got a laugh out of it, it was near Salton Sea....The first sign said, "Jesus Saves." The next sign said, "Green Stamps."

I also remember Whiting Brothers signs for gas....

F-12
02-19-2016, 12:23 PM
I was sure that was a Burma Shave sign, but did not see it listed..." Remember Sonny, The Rabbit's Foot Didn't Save the Bunny." I always like that one... This wasn't Berma Shave, but I always got a laugh out of it, it was near Salton Sea....The first sign said, "Jesus Saves." The next sign said, "Green Stamps."

I also remember Whiting Brothers signs for gas....

I remember a couple of signs along the road that said "Jesus Saves........Moses invests" Wall Street I think.........

Master Oil Racing Team
02-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the reminder Smitty. I can remember us kids looking back at the signs, and memorizing them to repeat back to our Mom and Dad. It may be that a lot of them were removed after 1963 and that they were not posted in New Mexico, Arizona or Nevada by the company, but possibly privateers might have posted some.

During that hurried trip through the Southwest that my Dad scorched US 9O to outrun that dust blizzard to keep my Mom from being smothered, we ended up in Albuquerque. Later we went to Santa Fe, then points east to the Texas Panhandle before we headed back home. Parts of that trip included traveling down Route 66 and that may be where I remembered the Burma Shave signs from in the early 60's in the western part of our country. No matter.....I think they were a great part of traveling for American kids and their memories, and an indispensable part of Americana.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-26-2016, 09:38 PM
This has been a very difficult road trip to remember because we were tired and I cannot remember where we spent the night. The things I do remember don't jive with the timing. We did not spend two nights on the road, but I remember being about an hour out of Needles California near dusk the second day. What jinked my memory while I was thinking about this trip was that Bud Turcotte and I had a dark light hung up in our bedroom beneath a parachute. I had painted the walls and bannister leading up to the bedroom with eye drop liquid. It was invisible in daylight, but glowed green under the purplish glow of a blacklight.

I can remember looking out at acres of fields at night covered with blacklights. This was in New Mexico. The blacklights were about three feet in length, about three feet off the ground and spaced five to ten feet apart. These farms had hundreds of acres of them glowing at night for miles and miles. Alfalfa was grown in that area, but I'm not sure if that's what the crop was. It was dark and we could not see what was growing. I remember this part because Gerel and I were blown away by seeing all those blacklights. Don't recall if Baldy did or did not know what we meant by "blacklights" or if he even mentioned UV. He was driving at the time and I think he was more concentrated on a place where we could spend the night. I will have to look at a map and try to find where that might have been. Not many places to shut down late at night there in 1969.

Ketzer
02-28-2016, 12:34 PM
In 1969, at least for July and August, I was in San Antonio going through USAF basic training, and my pit crew buddy, Patrick, was with the Navy and based in Meridian, Mississippi. According to Patrick, the barracks had many more resident roaches than sailors, so the sailors captured the roaches, painted them day-glo, and set them free. At night, when they flipped on the black lights...cheap thrills!

oldalkydriver
03-04-2016, 03:26 AM
WOW! It has been awhile since I last visited this site. My sister's and I used to sit in the back seat of my dad's 1941 Cadillac on the long rides to the races. I remember several signs in Arizona and New Mexico, (along with the Whiting Bros. Gas Stations). Lots of signs, plus we used to look for cars with one light! I think we used to yell, "Popeye" and got to hit each other on the shoulder. I don't remember any Burma Shave signs in Nevada. Sometimes we were lucking and got to ride in the back of my Grandfather's 1937 Chevy pickup. Now that was a privilege and lots of fun. Ahhhh!, those were the days. Late night you could get WLS (out of Chicago), WOWO (out of Fort Wayne) and WHLR out of Bakersfield on the old am radio's as they had 50,000 WATTS! I must be getting old as lately I have been dreaming of traveling to the races back then. Maybe someone who passed is letting me know my time is coming.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2018, 09:33 PM
A year since I did anything here. Now that I can post pictures again I will go back to read some previous posts to see where I left off and resume this thread.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-07-2018, 08:18 PM
My oldest sister Brenda came to spend the weekend with us today and brought some old pictures. One is from Needles, Ca. which is the next stop on "Baldy's", but the best thing is she brought a poster from the first boat race I ever saw....and the first boat race I ever raced in. It's a little too big to scan and fit right now but I'm going to give a preview. When I can get it to where I can post it, I will put it where it belongs at the beginning of this thread, and I will give notice if anyone wants to look. I just want it to be a part of the story as it goes along instead of having to look back, or bounce around.

DeanFHobart
07-07-2018, 10:15 PM
My oldest sister Brenda came to spend the weekend with us today and brought some old pictures. One is from Needles, Ca. which is the next stop on "Baldy's", but the best thing is she brought a poster from the first boat race I ever saw....and the first boat race I ever raced in. It's a little too big to scan and fit right now but I'm going to give a preview. When I can get it to where I can post it, I will put it where it belongs at the beginning of this thread, and I will give notice if anyone wants to look. I just want it to be a part of the story as it goes along instead of having to look back, or bounce around.

What was that Range Grove Regatta year?

Master Oil Racing Team
10-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Whoa! Didn't see your question til now Dean. It was near Orange Grove, Texas in 1965. I now have that poster framed and hung in our racing/music room.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-04-2022, 09:09 AM
Time to resume the story

Ketzer
12-04-2022, 11:10 AM
'bout time.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-04-2022, 01:35 PM
Yeah.... I know.

Back up a little bit. We spent the first night in Sanderson Texas at Sanderson Motel. It was kind of an adobe style motel with colored cement floors and the electrical wiring was fastened to the wall up near the ceiling. I don't know how old the motel was at that time but thirty seven years later Debbie, the kids and I stayed at the same motel on our way to spend a week with some former neighbors that moved to San Francisco. The motel was clean both times and we were only there for a few hours to sleep, then back on the road. The motel was just on the north side of IH10 and the Union Pacific line was just on the south side of IH 10. Several trains passed through thie whistle stop town during the night.

Back on the road we saw lots of desert. Sanderson was about halfway between San Marcos and El Paso, and we spent the first part of the day getting out of Texas. Not mcu traffic or homes, or building for miles and miles. We stopped at a as station way out by itself on the side of a road. I asked a kid who was working there what they did for fun. He said they would hang old tires on the arms of tall seguaro cactuses. This is a photo of Gerel and Baldy waiting in from of the station wagon in the heat of the day waiting for the motor to cool down enough to add water.

ADD: That is on the side of IH 10 in 1969 with the Union Pacific railroad on the other side. Pretty desolate back then.

DeanFHobart
12-04-2022, 04:47 PM
Wayne,

Lots of old memories…. Really cool. We need to talk soon.

Sincerely, Dean Hobart…..

Master Oil Racing Team
12-04-2022, 08:57 PM
Okay. Think I have your number somewhere

Master Oil Racing Team
12-04-2022, 09:13 PM
There wasn't much to see after we went through El Paso and besides stopping for gasoline every now and then and to top off our radiator we didn't see any towns until we hit Phoenix. It was fairly big then but not like now. It did have a large and active airport though.

We got through Pheonix and on our way west. I already mentioned about the incident with Baldy and the Coors beer. But as we got closer to our destination I noticec a lot of low hills to our left that were mostly black and desolate. Not much if any vegetation. It didn't look like volcanic activity. It looked like slag or tailings from a mine, but how could that be because they were higher than everything else around. Never figured that out.

We drove on into Needles that night and got a room at a motel. We would go back east into Topock Arizona in the morning to find a place in the pits.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-05-2022, 08:13 PM
The next morning we drove back east into Arizonato the race course near the town of Topock. As we pulled off the hgihway onto a road overlooking the race course we found the pits pretty well filled up. We were elevated and could seethat there were not really any openings with boats stretching for a couple hundred yards like a nationals. Well this was advertised as the Winternationals and it was to be our very first APBA event to compete in.. We didn't know what to do and were stting in that Chrysler upon a hill overlooking the scene and try to come up with a plan.

Baldy watched very carefull as he noticed a farm tractor towing a boat trailer into the water to a mall island located abouttwo hundred feet offshore from the eastern side of the pits. The water not not very deep and appeared to have a good bottom. Once the tractor spotted the boat trailer, it unhooked and came back across to the shore to haul another boat racing trailer across. Baldy then decided on a course of action.

He drove down the hill to the pit area where the tractor was crossing then just took that station wagon and trailer across to the little island and found us a good pit area. Some more came across and there ended up being six to eight teams pitting on the island. We were pitted toward the western side with Sid and Bob Viera on our left and Jay Root on our right. We had never met any of them, but we all got along great and became friends. about four teams to our right was one of three boat racers we had known from NOA races. They were Milly and Kay Harrison. The other was Bob Hering who we ran into later. He was pitted somewhere on the mainland. The only others that I knew who they were but didn't really know them were Ron Hill, Ted May (who came to race at our house in Texas a few months earlier), Doc Collins andRich Fuschlin, . We also knew Ken and Gloria Steelman who came to Texas, and though not racers, but a big part of the boat racing community.

Ketzer
12-07-2022, 12:12 PM
Enjoying the story, Wayne. I had to Google "Earth" to see Topock...well, as Topock is today or recently. It would be cool if Google or Bing or someone could come up with a map search where you could ask for, say, "Hot Springs, AR in 1930," and you could check it out and walk the streets of those days.

Ron Hill
12-07-2022, 06:37 PM
Back in the day (s) that Wayne was talking about Topock, it had been rename Golden Shores. The "Real Topock" was an old Bar, probably nice to call it a "Dive Bar". They did have great Chili Sizes and cold Coors.

The bar was on the Colorado River, back water and had a gas dock.

A man named Dolly Harcourt owned it. He was a hell of a nice guy.

Some guys from Phoenix saw what was happening in Havasu (People were buying land by the plane full, as McCullough flew potential customers in from Chicago.

These investors bought desert land for $100 an acre and called the area Golden Shores, even though their land was not on the water. The investors, John Mueller was one met with Dolly and they made a deal to change the name of the Bar to Golden Shores Marina.

Jimmy Dawe was always a pretty good drinker, he and Dolly were good friends. Jimmy suggested they put on a boat race. Dolly loved the idea.

Jimmy got a hold of me and I contacted the Golden Shores People. I came up with the name Winternationals from Pomona Car Drags. APBA wasn't very hot on the idea.

My brother was on the APBA Council and he argued that Clyde Winter and Fred Nationals had offered his little brother $10,000 to put on a boat race. The Council agreed to have a race, no extra points, no National titles.

The first Winternationals was 1969, I think.

The year Wayne came, I had raised Golden Shores ante, to $40,000 dollars.

There was a cool little race course inside the backwater of Topock, we paid $100, $75, $50, $40, $30 per heat. We had 435 entries. I won High Points and won my 3rd lot in 1971. When the Golden Shore people found out Clark Maloof only raced the gas classes, thy gave him a lot for the Stock Outboard High Point.

The Havasu McCullough had bought land in Colorado, Arkansas and Arizona (Fountain Hills). I was paid to go to Fountain Hills by Havasu Land Company to see if we could race in their man man lake.

At the same time Golden Shores bought a large piece of land with lakes on it in Michigan.

I envisioned me working with these two land companies to promote some great boat races. I was offered a job with Golden Shores to run their Michigan Development.

I had been on Wide World of Spot at Havasu, local TV reported on our Winternationals. We bought some ads in the LA Times and they gave us a full page ad for Golden Shores.

I was about to take the job when John Meuller called and said a new law put them out of business. The new law require developers for lots smaller than 5 acres to guarantee water for 20 years.

Havasu City, Golden Shore, Willow Valley, California Ciy, Lake Los Angeles....and a few more land developments went out of business over night.

Ketzer
12-10-2022, 01:32 PM
Hey, Wayne, as you're the photographer, looking at the picture Ron Hill sent, is he standing really close to the camera, or is he eight foot tall?

Ron Hill
12-10-2022, 06:15 PM
Until 1964, I race bare foot as I liked standing on the transom and the bottom of my runabout on the Straight A Ways. At the 1963, Boston Nationals, I hit a wave at the finish line and almost did a hand spring out of the boat. All the officials were amazed I had no shoes.

The next year shoes were required, now closed toed shoes are required.

Being 6'5" tall weighing 235 pounds and having a 32 inch waist, I got the nick name "Elephant Boy" because I had baggie trunks. The name never bothered me as I was kind of an ELEPHANT when I was in a boat.

Ted My called me "MOOSE". No trick photography here!

When I raced for OMC they always worried about my weight, til the races were over and they got the statistics. In many an Endurance race my laps times were the most consistent and my speed for my power was always above the plan from OMC. I always got the slow and steady stuff. But frequently, I wasn't slow.

As I always said, "235 doesn't matter if it is all on the gas pedal".

First Outboard to ever lead the Parker 9 Hour Enduro, 1969!

Master Oil Racing Team
12-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Not quite Steve, but close. It is no wide angle trick. The photographer told Ron and I to lean left so he could get Ron in the frame.