PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Stock Outboard Class: Mini Formula 1

Ron Hill
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Peter Layman<O:p</O:p is testing this boat....

This is the prototype for a new curcuit racing class in Malaysia. Powered by Mercury/Tohatsu 30 HP two stroke. At the moment we are getting 42/43mph (GPS) with a PowerTech 10x16 SRA style prop and we get over 6000rpm. (1.92:1 reduction ratio).

Mark Poole
02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Looks like same class as Mini-GT. I would be cool to see mini boat racing make a comeback!

quty06
02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Wow...

Infoless Racer
02-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Pretty cool. Is this a glass hull?

quty06
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Ron,

any site can i find some more info bout this

quty06
02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Infoless Racer,

Do you bought that prop on you avatar

Ron Hill
02-08-2010, 12:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400101995310&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

I sell props everyday on E-Bay. Here is one I have for sale.

Infoless Racer
02-08-2010, 12:30 AM
getting one from Ron...

quty06
02-08-2010, 12:50 AM
how about this one, resplined to 13 ?

Infoless Racer
02-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Nice prop!

quty06
02-09-2010, 12:41 AM
realy hope that i can have one

Infoless Racer
02-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Was looking at the Mini F1 setting. Noticed the steering arm can be beefed up a little thus eliminating the need for a brace.......

STV_Keith
02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Looks like an old Kober Kat?

Infoless Racer
02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
You might be right...it looks like a Kober Kat or a copy kat.

Chairman
02-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Peter Layman, originally from the UK, contacted me three years ago about starting an entry level tunnel boat class in Malaysia where is has a Mercury dealership. He bought plans from me, but subsequently bought a Bobcat from one of our TCPBA racers with the idea of copying it. So I assume that is either the original or a copy. It's in the picture below in a 2006 Mini GT race.

http://www.dillon-racing.com/images/little-falls-10-2006c.jpg

Infoless Racer
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Malaysia already has a pretty strong tunnel race group in East Malaysia but it never caught up in the west for some strange reasons. A small group of us used to race in the mid-'80 in the west but it soon died out after a while. I wish Peter success in his endeavour.....

quty06
02-25-2010, 09:21 PM
it's true man, hope 1 day this kind of sport can grow up, rather than formula future that quite success currently.

SEASTALKER
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
This is the craft that I originally purchsed in the U.S.A. from Jim Sellner but we have modified it somewhat and added an internal seat module that also carries the tank and battery and full foam flotation. The module is adjustable fore and aft to adjust LCG. Also a dashboard and many rigging items compared to the original. The craft complete with me (200lbs) and fuel weighs 660lbs.

I purchased a 10x18 chopper from Ron Hill and these are the results as checked on GPS.

Ron Hill Chopper 10x18 - 40.2mph -5800rpm
Power Tech 10x16 - 42.2mph - 6000rpm
Power Tech 10x16 extra cup 42.3mph - 5900rpm

lower unit gear ratio is 1.92:1.

The motor is still breaking in and we are still on 25:1 oil mix.

I would expect that with prop development and full engine power we will eventually get up to 45mph plus.

The craft does conform with the rules proscribed by the APBA for Mini-GT racing. Here in Malaysia we would of course race under our local UIM Authority.

You can see more details on the web site of my Mercury Distributorship -
www.swiftinflatables.com under "Mercury Racing".

Thank you for the interest - Peter Layman

Chairman
03-02-2010, 08:26 AM
At 660 lbs., you are close to our 650 lb. minimum for GT Pro. Not sure how your motor compares to our (31.8 cu. in.) 35hp OMC. Our fastest GT Pro boats go 46-47 mph and I'm hoping for a shot at 50 mph eventually. But we have trim to help along as well. Mini GT allows aluminum props only, which holds them back some. But I think you are already getting more out of the Bobcat than Jim did.

Glad to hear you are getting things going on your part of the world. For what it's worth, I've added you to my links page: http://www.dillon-racing.com/links.htm.

Bob

SEASTALKER
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
The motor is 26.24 cu in and potentially you will have more power with the OMC's.

We have fitted a CMC power trim which also has the effect of offsetting the motor aft. The LCG is well aft, virtually at the driver position, and you need the power trim to get the boat onto the plane easily.

As you might be aware Malaysia has been very successful in UIM Formula Future and MINI-F1 is intended to be the next step up.

Peter

Ron Hill
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
With that 10 X 18 I sent, have you raised the motor? Truth is, when Bob Calrson built this boat we liked the cleaver, low rake as it didn't try to lift the bow...

200 RPM's down could be more than 2 mph.....

SEASTALKER
03-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I would like to know more about the origins of the Bobcat and the motors that were used to power it. I believe this was back in the 1980's?

What speeds did they achieve in those days?

At the speeds this craft is running at there is very little aerodynamic lift and a prop that gives a degree of bow lift is fine.

We have experimented with jacking the motor and we find the best position is with the cavitation plate level with the tunnel.

We find the best performance at the moment is with the PowerTech SRA3 -
10x16 cupped.

The motor is basically a commercial fishing motor and is supposed to run in the 5200-5800 rpm range. It has a very flat power curve.

These motors in Zapcat racing regularly run at 6200rpm and appear to be unburstable.

Peter

Ron Hill
03-02-2010, 09:30 PM
What I know about Bob Cat Tunnel Boats.: Bob Carlson, the son of Art Carlson of Glastron/Carlson fame (Builder of the Glastron Molinari Race Boats), worked for Art.

My numbers will be off so don't quote me. Art Carlson built some seriously cool boats in Garden Grove, California. The first boat he built was a tunnel and it would not plane, as the motor had no power trim and little power.

Seems Art then built Kenny Pyle a D Hydro. Painted it a beautiful metalic green... Boat wasn't very fast, but had some great design features like large chines.

By 1968 Art was building probably 5 pleasure boats a week. Why did I come up with five? Well, I used to visit his shop and he'd be adding finishing touches to boat halves in molds. He's spray a "splatter" finish to each boat before they were assembled.

Art liked metal flake...REDS, BLUES and GOLD....In '68 Glastron bought the rights to build Molinari Tunnel hulls, but didn't have the facilities to build Custom boats so they bought Art Carlson's business for like 5 million, in cash and stock. And gave Art a ten year job.

While Art was running Glastron Carlson, he hired his son Bob and Gary Ferguson to be designers. They both had and have a tons of design talent. After Gary left Glastron he worked for Advantage Boats in Havasu, until he ritred, recently, but they still use him for various projects.

Bob raced A Stock Hydro in a boat he built. A beautiful boat, that was too small and he turned it over frequently!

About this time, the Japanese wanted a COOL boat for their gambling curcuit. Bob built them a tunnel for the curcuit, and can be seen on the Yamato Outboards home page. Bob spun this boat off into a Sport C boat. Boat had done most , if not all, of his testing with a Yamato, but then he tested with a Mercury.

I had written the rules for Sport C to favor the Tohatsu's 40, as it was 31 cubic inches, Mercury's 40 was 44 cubic inches. And Mercury had turned their back on racing while Tohatsu paid our insurance, and bought our trophies.

Blake Esau from Las Vegas, bought a few Bob Cats and made them run very fast. Blake discovered that a Tohatsu could get water from the prop throwing water on the scoop behind the prop, not just from the side pick ups.

With an up and down transom controlled from the driver's seat, Blake could raise his propshaft to make it even with the tunnel top...he could go almost most 70 MPH, but could not turn, he'd lower the engine for the corners. After several major accidents, up and down transoms were ruled out.

Blake himself was never in an accident in a Sport C. He did break both shoulders in a 45 SS blow over that ended his racing, he would bring six Sport C's to the races. Blake bought Bob Carlson's molds and then built his on boats and made different molds.

The last time I saw Blake he still had more the 12 Bob Cats.

Bob Carlson and Art both live near or around Hemet, California. Gary Ferguson lives in Lake Havasu City. And I've been looking for Blake to buy his old Sleek Craft with a small block Mercrusier, that I know he still has, somewhere in Vegas.

SEASTALKER
03-03-2010, 03:37 AM
I don't know if this is the same Bobcat as the Carlson Boat? I have attached a photo of the name plate and this shows the company based in Huntington Beach CA.

A question for Bob.

In GT-Pro you have no resttriction on the props. What props are competitors using to achieve 46/47mph?

Thanks for the info.

Peter

Ron Hill
03-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Lamps "R" Us was in front of Unit I. Toys "R" Us made Lamps "R" Us change their name. It was changed to Lamps Plus.

That is the original location on Edinger in Huntington Beach.

Chairman
03-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Peter,

Ron was kind enough to send us some props last spring. I ran one of them all summer. The one in the lower right is only 9" diameter (actually 8.875", I think) and was too small. The others are 10" or so diameter and 16" and 18" pitch. I ran an 18-pitch on my v-bottom and got about 6800 rpm.

(Note to Ron: I'll send the small one back to you one of these days so you can find it a good home.)

http://www.dillon-racing.com/images/Picture 002b.jpg

Also have had good performace with steel OMC props. Below is a 10x15 with a pretty aggressive cup. The 10x17 (no longer being made) with a normal cup performs about the same.

I'm hoping Ron will come up with a cleaver, about 10.5x17. I've also looked at those PowerTech props, but would like to see a bit more pitch.

http://www.dillon-racing.com/images/KropogOMC (1)b.jpg

Ron Hill
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Working on several props, just BEHIND!

marinetech51@earthlink.net
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Always thought the Bobcat and Tomcat were Mirage boats.

Ron Hill
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Brad Callins the son of Louis Collins built the Mirage Boats. The Tom Cat, I think, was a Mirage Sport C. These boats were built in Texas. Miss BK her is Brad's wife.

The Bob Cat was the name of Ronnie Rima's D Runabout back in 1962. But Bob Carlson built the Bob Cats right here in SoCal.

SEASTALKER
03-04-2010, 04:50 AM
I am a bit confused by the posts. Was the Bobcat, as my boat, built by Carlson and was it their shop at Huntington Beach. Has anybody got some photos going back to the days when whoever built the boats there.

On props, the best results we have so far is with the PowerTech SRA3R16 at 10"x16". Although they list only up to 15" pitch they do offer 16" pitch with this prop. The prop has a 20 degrees aft rake.

For me they produced one with standard cup and one with a more agressive cup.

The results as my earlier post show the speed was almost identical with both props, just the revs went down with the more aggressive cup. Anyhow we are getting about 10/11% slip and I doubt we are going to better that.

When we change to 50:1 oil mix we will get more revs and more speed, hopefully!

Peter

Ron Hill
03-04-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5983&page=10 This is Masrua's Bob Cat...

Well, several things....going to 50:1 oil may slow you down. Why? Your jet is fixed, more oil menas less gas, which makes the motor richer. You may find that a quasrt of petroleum oil plus a quart of synthetic oil to five gallons may work better...

Also, you probably need to talk to people who will know things about these motors. Like maybe plugging the theromstat. Or filling the top two water pick up holes so they can run the engine higher wihtout burning it up.

I know Blake had his motor set back about a foot, and sat almost on the transom. The boat would come close to sinking if someone didn't hold him until he got started. I would write a rule that the drive must sit in the center 1/3 of the boat...

Make sure they don't "WARM UP" the pipe...

If STOCK is going to mean STOCK, you will need a good "CHEATER"
to inspect. Someone who will know what to look for and where to look.

would not be surprised that a guy like George Stillwell could go through your motor and give it 5 MPH and it would still be "STOCK"...

I'm not sure how to tell if this is a Bob Carlson boat, except maybe the numbers on the transom. I can get Tinker Collinge to get a hold of Art Carlson...Get me the serial number.

SEASTALKER
03-06-2010, 12:41 AM
I had a look at the archives of Scream and Fly and there were a couple of posts on the Bobcat. In both cases the craft were referred to as Mirage Bobcats and from the photos you can see they are the same as my boat.

So almost certainly my boat is a Mirage Bobcat but where was it built?

I don't quite see why reducing the oil content should reduce power. The engine manufacturers will have jetted the carb for optimum stoichiometric air/fuel ratio at 50:1 mix. There should be a higher calorific value per unit of fuel used with a 50:1 mix as there is more gasoline, and therefore more energy in the fuel.

Has actual experience from anyone shown that high oil/fuel mixes give better performance? This must not be confused with lubricity and frictional resistance.

We have already filled the upper water cooling slots on the outboard lower unit, and with the engine fully jacked we get good cooling water flow as confirmed by the pressure gauge.

Presumably you mean by plugging the thermostat - removing it. This would only be of benefit if the engine was overheating. The thermostat ensures the motor runs at the correct temperature for optimum combustion/power and we do not want it to run too cool?

The craft has been rigged to the same rules as GT-PRO and as such we conform to the rule which specifies the driver's seat position.

This project is fully supported by Mercury Marine Asia Pacific and all engines will be prepared and sealed by them. The chief scrutineer will be Mercury's Technical Manager here who used to race in Singapore. I have never met anyone more expert on Mercury products.

All propellers (theoretically identical) will be owned by the organisers and will be allocated to each boat at a race meeting by lottery.

Similarly all fuel will be provided by the organisers.

The only adjustment a competitor can make is to adjust the LCG by moving the postition of the seat module, which also carries the fuel tank and battery, fore and aft. Also they may adjust the jacking of the motor

However the seat position must stay within the rules as stated for GT-PRO.

Each of the craft will be weighed and again the GT-PRO rule applies >650lbs including driver and fuel.

Nobody will be able to cheat!

Do you have the address for George Stillwell's web site?

Regards,

Peter

Ron Hill
03-06-2010, 09:16 AM
You have a plan which is good........So, people will buy these boats and you will control their props, motors, oil and where they sit?

Having TOLD you the COMPLETE HISTORY of the Bob Cat, you would trust Scream and Fly to tell you about the boat you have. Interesting, as Scream and Fly is WRONG about this boat as they are about other topics.

George Stillwell doesn't have a web site, but can be reached through BRF....

I'll repeat MYSELF. The Tomcat was built by Mirage.

The Bob Cat was buildt by Bob Carlson, then by Blake Esau in Las Vegas.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9504&highlight=Cat+Tunnel+Carlson&page=2 The number 3 boat is the boat Bob Carlson build for the Japanese Gambling Curcuit.

IF you plan to "KEEP IT STOCK" why plug the top holes?

SEASTALKER
03-06-2010, 05:34 PM
The two Bobcats advertised for sale on Scream and Fly were described by their owners as Mirage Bobcats, that's all I know. From the photos they are the same as my boat.

I looked at the Carlson boat made experimentally for Japanese staduium racing (white and red boat) and as well as different topsides, if you look carefully the hull is different.

Ron Hill
03-06-2010, 06:47 PM
http://homepage2.nifty.com/s-nanami/about.htm Look at this picture. Does this look like your boat?

Bob Carlson built the Bob Cat at the same time he built the Japan Gambling Curcuit boat. I remember writing Fred Hauenstein, at that time an APBA Vice Preside of OPC or APBA President, explaining how the Japanese REQUIRED Bob to make RUBBER TIPPED pickle forks.

This concept led top the current APBA Safety rule of collapsible pickle forks...

SEASTALKER
03-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I can tell by the detail that this is definately the same boat as mine. In addition it does have an aft cowl and screen.

Is this a contemporary picture and are there any photos of Bobcats racing in the U.S.A., presumably in Sport C before capsules were mandatory?

Ron Hill
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
When I was OPC Chairman, we had a 16 year old girl killed in Sport C at Kankakee, Illinois at the Nationals, 1999.

My Commission under the guidance of Mike Wienandt, wrote new safety rules for SPORT C, the new rules required side protection to be even with the ear. Thankfully we have not had an injury since.

When I WROTE the Sport C rules, I wrote them to favor the Tohatsu, as they paid for our racing insurance and I didn't want a 31 cubic inch Tohatsu 40 competing with Merc 44's so I wrote the run that 32 cubic inches, as I didn't want Mercury winning with their 402 or 44 cubic inchers.

I also didn't want guys building "BACK YARD" Custom boats, so I wrote the rules to say "FIBERGLASS BOATS ONLY."

The trouble with my fiberglass boats only rule was that the cost of building a "PLUG", then a mold then a boat was expensive. And if you build a "DOG". You had to start over.

Bob Carlson and Gary Ferguson always had an eye for beauty, but their designs were not always FAST.

The early Bob Cats needed help and Blake provided this help.

I doubt anyone is running a Bob Cat in Sport C, as few were really built and few ran fast. The Gran Prix of Bruce Borquin was just head and shoulders above the others.

Seems the Gran Prix or those like it are boat to beat today!

Region 11 has about 15 Sport C's and no Bob Cats.

Sport C's development stopped when they didn't allow the three cyclinder 40's.....a STUPID RULE if you asked me!

voodoo
03-08-2010, 02:16 AM
we played around a bit with this style of racing,we got just over 60mph an 10x18p chopper on a 25hp tohatsu mc2 .these new looking props from ron hill look fast i dont no what pitch they are but they look the goods.

SEASTALKER
03-08-2010, 02:39 AM
What weight is your tunnel hull? We are working to the GT-PRO rules that specify 650lbs minimum weight including driver and fuel. Our boat on test weighs 660lbs.

Was your chopper a Mercury Racing prop?

Is you Tohatsu strictly stock and what revs were you running.

Thank you for any information.

Peter

voodoo
03-11-2010, 11:42 PM
the hull with motor was wieghing in at 120kg plus me 70kg the chopper was one from quiksilver/merc 10x18p and was thined out a fair bit ,the fastest speed we got with the stock 25hp toh was 60.1 mph 96.6 kph ,we ran a long nose cone to get water into the pump top revs 6900rpm the motor was run very high good luck with your set up dude !

SEASTALKER
03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
As you no doubt know the 25hp and 30hp Tohatsu 2-strokes are really the same motor with a capacity of 429cc.

The lower unit reduction ratio is 1.9166:1 which gives a propeller speed of 3600rpm and a theoretical maximum speed for 18" pitch of 61.36mph.

You only have around 2.2% slip and you are achieving the ultimate speed!

Are you going to circuit race the boat?

Peter

voodoo
03-12-2010, 01:18 AM
we did race the boat with great sucsess it also set the australian 25hp kilo or speed record with an average speed of 92.36kph over 2 1km runs we could have done better but i was to windy on the day,that was the day it did 96.6k but i could not hold that speed without going 4 a kite ride the wind was blowing across the coarse at 25 to 30 knots as you can see in the two photos of that day ,the new class mini f1 sounds like alot of fun good luck !

Infoless Racer
03-16-2010, 04:00 AM
how can one come so close to the theoretical speed? Must be VOO DOO :)

voodoo
03-23-2010, 01:16 AM
i don't care much for theory,96.6k slip or no slip thats what the G P S said and im sticking with it ! theres i guy in queensland that did 97 plus around the same time pulling roughly the same revs with some sort of 4 bladed 17p cleaver so whats his theory ?

Ron Hill
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
In THEORY all NASCAR cars should be even, but Jimmy Johnsons seems to have an edge.

Speed theories are usually just that. Many times our props run faster than theory. Why? Whoever measures them doesn't include the cup or doesn't measure them correctly. Or a tachometer being off a few hundred RPM's...

If props worked as "THEORY" would have it, you'd probably only need one prop to fit all.

Sean McKean went 130 MPH in the kilo last fall. I'll be it is hard to figure his speed within 10 MPH.

I once broke two World Records in one day, both 1:1 gears, one motor was a 30 HP, one was a 55 HP. (66 MPH in the 30 and 74 MPH with the 55. Explain that theory.

In the spring of 1967 and Modesto, I broke three World Records with the same prop, 550 cc, 750, cc and 1100 cc. That same year I won the 500 CC championship on a hydro, and then the 750 CC National Championship on a runabout same prop.

We had a prop JUST LIKE THE GOOD one.......except 5 MPH slower!

voodoo
03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
what type of props are u doing at the moment ron,in regards to 25/30hp toey/merc/mariner/nissan.i think these guys with there mini f1 class will have loads of fun,but they need better props.

david bryan
03-24-2010, 08:22 AM
what type of props are u doing at the moment ron,in regards to 25/30hp toey/merc/mariner/nissan.i think these guys with there mini f1 class will have loads of fun,but they need better props.
what hight is the prop shaft in relation to the lowest point on the bottom

voodoo
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
it was about 20mm below the floor and 110mm above the bottom roughly

david bryan
03-24-2010, 11:19 AM
it was about 20mm below the floor and 110mm above the bottom roughly
is there any rules on motor hight

voodoo
03-24-2010, 02:36 PM
no that was 550cc super sport ,its only restricted by engine capacity 25hp open hull class had no motor height limits,you were aloud to put a nose cone on the gearcase this helped with engine cooling.

tantrim
03-26-2010, 05:28 AM
:D:D:D
go you good thing
r u coming 2 the Easter Regatta 120 boats entered 20 BAD boats a couple of GP Hydro's & 2 or 3 American drivers coming over to have a crack in Aussie boats, sounds like drinking time since no class foe us lowly out-borders.

kevinby8
04-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Malaysia already has a pretty strong tunnel race group in East Malaysia but it never caught up in the west for some strange reasons. A small group of us used to race in the mid-'80 in the west but it soon died out after a while. I wish Peter success in his endeavour.....

Thats my brother and dad era.... yrs 86 - 90......quite famous with small machine 18 - 40hp.....

kevinby8
04-06-2010, 04:42 AM
this mini tunnel can go up to 63mph @ average speed.....with Yamaha 30hp, 3 blade cleaver prop......
any one can recommend me which prop can get me to at least 68-74mph..?
any ideas???
at this moment, i think Ron's prop is the best suit for this......
........Kevin Nyait

voodoo
04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
you should try a chopper 10x18p,i found i could run it higher and got more revs.

Infoless Racer
04-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Operative word is try......but dont buy until u try.
Chopper tends to cause the bow to lift so be very careful for the first time.

voodoo
04-11-2010, 03:55 AM
a bit of bow lift can be fun to drive if you have the balls,you can always trim it in a bit.ps my chopper is not for sale at least i have some info. myself as a racer i loved bow lift,one of my favourite lines on race day was "when in doubt trim it out".fair enough that might sound crazy but it always worked for me,it took 21 years to break the 25hp open hull speed record and in the end it was a bit of bow lift that got me that little bit extra that i needed to get there.so dont be scared to try something from the left field you might be surprised what you find.

Infoless Racer
04-11-2010, 04:22 AM
what is the engine on the 95 tunnel???

voodoo
04-11-2010, 05:03 AM
its an omc 31m

Glenno
04-15-2010, 02:31 AM
Hi , Seems to need more engine height in that mini f1. I race in the standard 25hp class in Australia with a 25hp tohatsu-japan Merc. with a 18 pich chopper 6240rpm, 54.3mph. The boat is a heavy boat with a total weight of just over 262kgs boat, driver and fuel. Although my boat is a mono- wing boat and differs from a tunnel i think the theory is the same, We run our engines with the centre of the gear case around 10mm under the bottom of the boat. As you can see in Vodoo's posts we also make two part nose cones to help pick up the water. In saying that we here all have standard water pick ups so we connect the tell tale to a thin water tube up to the side of the boat somewere infront of our face. In doing that we can visually check that the motor has water while racing. I can't work out how to attach any pics but will keep trying untill it works. Good luck with your set up. Ps in testing and setting up my boat once i raised my motor (same as yours) 4mm or less than half an inch and picked up around 200rpm and gained 3kmh.

Glenno
04-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Just clarifying I was talking about the mini F1 with the 30hp Merc-Tohatsu-Nissan motor with my last post. I hope these pics come through. Glenno

voodoo
04-17-2010, 07:40 PM
this is a nice clear pic of glenno's boat racing at windsor 2009,it will be great to see the growler tunnel back racing again soon,good luck fixing it mate!

Glenno
04-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Hi Voodoo, got the sag out of the hull on saturday, 32mm by 32mm by 1.6 mm cross members had a 17mm sag. I will put some laminated crossmembers beside the alloy. Then start on the repairs. Here are some pics to make you cringe!

quty06
04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
do u mind, give me any dimension of ur boat, eg tunnel width/height.

or PM me.

wilfred,
Malaysia

Glenno
04-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi, The boat is 3.5 metres long and 1.8 metres wide. Glenno

tantrim
04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
looking good glenn :)

Growler
04-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Hey mate
Its lookin good,I have a fair idea how the bow got there (not me) keep goin mate, and how good is Steve goin....

Glenno
05-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Hi, team member. Worked on Growler today and put in the laminated cross members. The hull was seriosly lacking in strength up the front end. I am happy with the strength now. The cross members have added 5.4kgs to the hull weight so hopfully that does not change the performance to much, I guess I will get some lighter shoes and a smaller fuel tank to compinsate. How is the Gambler going mate? Here are a few pics to keep you up to date.

Growler
05-07-2010, 10:38 PM
You wont regret the cross members, youll be able to throw it into those corners!! goin well attention to detail! have you got to the right hand sponson yet? The Gambler is well, been a bit busy with work but will be gettin it wet soon..

Glenno
05-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Hi team member, I have not yet re-constructed the right side of the hull. I am hoping to do that in three weeks on sat and sunday. I will post pics. Your boat is friggin awsome!

Growler
05-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Cheers mate ,look forward to the pics, airin it out, I think you need more!!!

tantrim
05-14-2010, 03:59 AM
yo glenno r u racing on sunday

Glenno
05-14-2010, 10:13 PM
I will be there for sure, are you going? i need to try and make a turn fin today so i can turn better tomorrow.

tantrim
05-15-2010, 02:00 AM
yep i will be there need to try one of steve's props & get it sorted out for Aust titles in 2 weeks
c ya there

Glenno
06-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Been tinkering with the boat a little bit,in the time I do get. You can see in the pics some of the bottom 15mm by 15mm aluminium sections were bent in the accident, a small jack fixed them though. I added an extra 38 by 15mm bottom rib as the existing one was disintigrated (has now been apoxyed back together). I am using a marine apoxy for all jointing. The pics explain the rest, I will keep you posted. Glenno
Ps: The pic at the bottom should be at the top.

tsrt
06-08-2010, 03:50 AM
few pic mini tunnel east malaysia

mini tunnel can do 70mph

tsrt
06-08-2010, 04:22 AM
popular class in east malaysia

tsrt
06-08-2010, 04:27 AM
one of very popular class in east malaysia 18hp mini tunnel can reach of speed 56mph

FrenchPhil
06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
That's hard to believe, any vids ?

mini tunnel can do 70mph

quty06
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM

mini tunnel can do 70mph

ur previous post was 63mph for 30hp, getting faster la 30hp, 40hp owner like me worry alredy.

it's true in our country this class was reached this speed, average.

tantrim
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
looking good glen

Growler
06-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Well done Glenno not long now mate!!!

Glenno
07-23-2010, 04:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has any experience in what I am proposing re two and three blade props. I have a 11.5 foot tunnel hull with a standard 25hp tohatsu with a three blade worked 10 by 18 merc chopper. the boat has reached 96.1kph or just under 60mph. Will a two blade prop like a old bp 1250 stacker prop say around 19 to 20 pitch work ( with the diamiter cut down to around ten inch). Does less blades but more pitch still allow motor to rev like more blades less pitch? I know trying props is always the best ticket but I was hoping for any one who has maybee tried this theory out. Thanks for any info and even for posible 1000, 1250 right hand stacker props that anyone wants to sell.

tantrim
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
any luck with to 2 blader Glenno

Glenno
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Not yet mate. I have shaved that 11 by 15 down to 9 inch dia and thinned. But that prop is just for the tinnie, hopeing for 65 to 68kph with the 15hp. see you on friday.
Glenno

ice_spy
11-16-2010, 03:15 AM
Hi, i am new to this forum, however not new to boating, growing up on Brisbane Waters on the central coast, going boating every chance since i was 13. started out with 9.8merc on a build a boat plan UFO.
Loved race boats since then. I currently have a10ft fibreglass tunnel with a 25hp merc, just placed order today for a chopper II 10x18. I run power trim, foot throttle, elec start. More a social boat as it sits 2 side by side.
However i have a 9ft hydro tunnel ,fibreglass that i set up for top speed with the same motor.
Could i run this boat in the mini f1 class? i think power trim is not allowed?
very keen to get into racing with you guys, even if have to build another ply tunnel...any info guys?
Im willing to travell, buy insurance etc etc.

Glenno
11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi mate, sorry about the late responce.
You should come down to a club day @ Upper Hawksberry Power Boat Club and check it all out, race dates are on the UHPBC home page. Have a chat to us all there and we are more than happy to steer you in the right direction.
Some notes to consider are:
1) No power trim in the 25hp class but if you race in the 550cc supersport class I think you are allowed.
2) Outrigger cable steering, kill lanyard switch, leg strap race life jacket, full race suit, orange helmet with australian standards plark, maritime registered boat and pass scruteneering before the meet.
3)You will need a APBA race licence and your boat to be race registered.

All sound like a lot of hassel but it is all really easy and verry worth it, Racing boats is the biggest thrill and great value in the small classes.

smmracing
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
hey guys, finally got onto this forum after much trouble. but still havnt really figured it out. anyone know who is turning up to uhpbc clubday this sunday?

Patrick.

Ron Hill
12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure why people are having troubles signing up or getting back on, but I do know that on riverdavesplace.com I'm back on but can't post a picture....

What troubles did you encounter?

smmracing
12-06-2010, 11:25 PM
i had to try 3 different email accounts before it would accept one and then it took about a month for my account to be approved and for it to work.

Glenno
12-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Hi mate,
I will not be there on sunday- kids Christmas concert!
Did your new boat turn up yet? any pics?
See you soon Pat,
Glenno

smmracing
12-07-2010, 01:46 AM
no new boat yet.. sorting out shipping at the moment then it will be on its way.

have a good one
Pat

voodoo
03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey pat bonn will you be running 550cc super sport with the VRP 500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTS0TA4mdBI&playnext=1&list=PL1928CDDC5A3EEB88

http://www.facebook.com/stevejscott68

Glenno
04-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Finally finished the boat all!
Still havnt had it in the water, will keep you all posted!

Ron,
Hi, just wondering if a ten spline can be put into those 10 by 19 cleaver jim johnson props you have on ebay? and a price with post to Australia?

I am slightly concerned about putting a chopper on that hull!

Thanks heaps Glenno

voodoo
05-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Nice one glenno awesome repair work mate i cant wait to see it go again.....

Growler after a bit of kite work in 2009........