PDA

View Full Version : Omc 35?

JohnsonM50
08-02-2010, 08:19 AM
I got an auction power head, early to mid '80s Id guess. The ex owner said it was an actual 35 & the # 35E... can be found on it. It has an intake manifold carb hole thats about 1" dia but the typical carb is 1 3/8 as well as the intake hole. Ive never seen this & since the 31.8s can be rev limited at the power pack why would a 35 be so resticted? The hole is centered horizontally but slightly low from center I guess to line up with the carbs hi speed feed tube.
could it be a fleet or commercial option? Has anyone else seen one like it? The big Q obviously is how would it perform? :confused: Thanks, Mike

Chairman
08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
It sounds similar to the 20hp intake, the top one in the photo below (the lower one is 25hp). I assume the slot is to allow fuel left in the carb throat to drain back into the intake. A low, off-center hole might do the same thing.

Some powerheads have the original model number of the outboard on the plug on the starboard side of the cylinders between the coils and the fuel pump. This will give you the horsepower and year if you know how to decipher it.

JohnsonM50
08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Chairman;95229]It sounds similar to the 20hp intake, the top one in the photo below (the lower one is 25hp). I assume the slot is to allow fuel left in the carb throat to drain back into the intake. A low, off-center hole might do the same thing.

Some powerheads have the original model number of the outboard on the plug on the starboard side of the cylinders between the coils and the fuel pump. This will give you the horsepower and year if you know how to decipher it.

Thanks Bob, I thought you'd know. Same size hole as you showed but low w/o the slot. It has the plug you mentioned that indicates 35hp. Ive got a few intakes & carbs so will fix that. ;) With so many of the 31.8s made that look outwardly the same theres quite a few variations, thought Id seen em all.:D Mike