PDA

View Full Version : Ron Hill

TheBuck101
07-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Ron
Ron Hill propellers ?
Anyway
My name is Brent Franklin I was just wondering how long you have been in boat racing & what region are you from.
Im trying to see if I know you. I want to say I know you from your name.
I started racing around 1965 Region 5 FL.

My Dad (Vic Franklin) J-21 / 21-J / was from region 3 & drove for Sid ~ Sid-Craft boat's from Edision NJ. Sids home was our second home down the street.
My Dad ran C & D Stock Hydro & C Alky Hydro & had Custom Motors from Walt Blankenstine.

Started in FL in J hydro & Runabout
A lot of help from POP & Wally Schliff
Jeff & Billy Hutcnins
My brother & I Moved on to ASR /ASH/BSH/ C&DSH
Than on to Inboards Till I stoped Driving

Below is a list fo names that I remember & Most were very close friends of our family
Im just trying to put a face with your name
Thank You
Brent Franklin

List
Bowman, Craig*****
Bowman, Shannon *****
/ They pushed me around in ther boats to get weighted in
Blankenstien, Walt*****
Brinkman Harry *
Christy, Don***
DeSilva John
DeSilva, Bill
DeSilva, Ralph
DiFebo, John
DiFebo, Paul *****
Hutchins, Jeff*****
Hutchins, Billy***
Konig Dieter*****
O’Dea, Dick*****
Don Pontius**
Pinner, Harry*
Seebold Bill Sr *****
And many more

Mark75H
07-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Brent, I saw Shannon Bowman today and Don Christy yesterday. :)

Ted March
07-03-2005, 07:41 PM
You have found a home. Please enjoy our site.

I'm froin Region 3.

RichardKCMo
07-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Can't think of anyone other than Fred Miller or Dean Chenowith that could get round de corner faster, less maybe that Rinker boy.

Don't know bout snotra but 54 was a hell of a yr,
memory shot to hell.
RichardKCMo

TheBuck101
07-04-2005, 04:17 AM
Hi to all
Yes this looks like a new site for me to hang out at.
I found a long lost friend here on my first visit ~Charley Bradley ~.

Ron Im stil trying to put a face with the name, I will get it sooner or later.

Mark 75H
If you see craig or shannon Bowman or Don Christy tell them one of Vic Franklins kids said HI.
I remember both Bowmans like it was yesterday. Sid always told us kids to go & play in the street but we knew better so we bugged the Bowman boys.

Gosh I had some GREAT times in Outboards.
I don't remember the year but we went to NJ & got 2 new OTB J Motors for my Hydro. Then went to the Div & took 2 nd place in JSH.
I also borrowed a prop & boat (ASR) from POP & Wally Schliff we put my NEW ( otb ) Out of the box motor on bumped up the timing & won the Div championship in JSR. I got faster & faster every lap as the motor got broke in, I think I remember seeing 32-34 MPH on the speedo WOW that was fast back then.
Now going 150 + in a Imboard hydros seems like normal driving :confused:

WOW this place is making my mind really go back, I cant beleave IM remembering all of this stuff

I remember trading wood with Minner from California- in Cider rappids Iowa in ASR at the NAT, He could out turn me but I cooked him it the strightaway. I could have won the NAT if i didn't rool it in turn 1 on the last lap

Sorry if I sound like a woman rambling on but I had some really GREAT time racing with a lot of people in Outboard's

I remember beating Billy Hutchins once he always ran great when he got out there . Jeff H & I became good friends, he tought My brother & I a lot.

We moved on to Imboard in 1971-72. We bought the 280 / Buccaneer E-101 World record holder in 1973 at Dayton OH. Then in 1974 W/ my brother driving we won Nat championship ~ Nat Hi point Championship ~ APBA Hall of Fame & won 98% of every race we entered, Ran for 6 months stright.
We ran Inboards for manny years after

Thanks for letting me ramble

TBowman
03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Brent

I just joined the site yesterday. I am Craig and Shannon's little brother. I never got a chance to race when i was younger. I did however go to many races in the very late sixties and early seventies. It is always fun to here names from the past.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-15-2009, 01:29 PM
You have found a home. Please enjoy our site.

I'm froin Region 3.

Sam,

What a pleasant surprise seeing Don. Is he now interested in the Antiques & Classics?

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Brent

I just joined the site yesterday. I am Craig and Shannon's little brother. I never got a chance to race when i was younger. I did however go to many races in the very late sixties and early seventies. It is always fun to here names from the past.

I hope that I don't embarass myself with this post, but having been friends with the Bowmans way back in the 50's & 60's, I wasn't aware that Craig & Shannon had a younger brother. I know that they had a sister, Tracy, but not a younger brother.

A/B Speedliner
03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi John,
I am only on my second glass of wine so I could be screwed up but look at the date of Sam's post, 2005?
David

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi John,
I am only on my second glass of wine so I could be screwed up but look at the date of Sam's post, 2005?
David

David, And I haven't even had a glass of wine!

Gstillwill
03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
John I dont remember a younger brother either but could be wrong also. I was at Sharpstown when Donny stopped by for a visit. Hes alot bigger now then when he raced. It was good seeing him and talking about the old days.

TBowman
03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope that I don't embarass myself with this post, but having been friends with the Bowmans way back in the 50's & 60's, I wasn't aware that Craig & Shannon had a younger brother. I know that they had a sister, Tracy, but not a younger brother.

My mother was Hanks Second wife Tibby, they married around 1961.Tracy,Craig and Shannons mom was Blake.

Ron Hill
03-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Hank's first wife was "TRACY OGDEN" her pen name...AKA Blake Gilpin, correct? So, Shannon, Tracy and Craig's mom's real name was Blake????

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Hank's first wife was "TRACY OGDEN" her pen name...AKA Blake Gilpin, correct? So, Shannon, Tracy and Craig's mom's real name was Blake????

Tracy Ogden was a pen name as well, as was Blake Gilpin, but her real first name I believe was Blake. If you go back through all the Boat Sport magazines both she & Hank had various pen names. Ed Hatch's who's web site has all the old Boat Sport & Speed & Spray magazines probably can tell you all of their pen names. I think that I remember Hank re-marrying, as the name Tibby sounds familiar.

TBowman
03-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Blake Gilpin was Blakes maiden name.Ogden was Hank's moms (my grandmothers) middle name.Tracy's (my sister) middle name is Ogden. a few of my dads pen names used Shannon , Craig, and Tracy as part of the name.