PDA

View Full Version : 40/50 yamaha tiller on 30 yamaha??????

BRzuki
09-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I've seen a couple pictures of a 30hp yamaha with a 40/50 yamaha tiller on it. Due to the set-back of my set-up, this would be awesome if it in fact can be done with little to no modifications.

Anybody out there seen this or know how to get it done?

Tiller guy
08-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Sorry to dig up a very old thread, but I need help with this as well.

BRzuki
08-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Depends on which tiller you get. the new or old style. Never messed with the new style with trim in the handle. With the old style, you will need a remote kit, reverse the gear on the throttle shaft and reverse shift cable and throttle cable to match.

DuckLn
08-26-2014, 06:04 AM
You can get the (2) cables to align perfectly with the "clips" that hold them into place but you'll need two sets of channel locks and some heat would help. Then you can bent them slightly over and over and eventually get them perfect but they the whole system will still not be as smooth as a factory yamaha big tiller due to the reversing of the gear.

You'll see what i mean and you wont be abe to shorten the cables either (they need about one inch shortened on each one). I sent mine to 4 or 5 places and had offers to build new sets but nobody would shorten the OEM cables.

You'll love the new tiller if you get it all done right

Dilan Smith
08-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Would any of y'all have pictures of this being done?

Koondog
08-31-2014, 07:08 PM
You can get the (2) cables to align perfectly with the "clips" that hold them into place but you'll need two sets of channel locks and some heat would help. Then you can bent them slightly over and over and eventually get them perfect but they the whole system will still not be as smooth as a factory yamaha big tiller due to the reversing of the gear.

You'll see what i mean and you wont be abe to shorten the cables either (they need about one inch shortened on each one). I sent mine to 4 or 5 places and had offers to build new sets but nobody would shorten the OEM cables.

You'll love the new tiller if you get it all done right

Using longer cables keeps operation of the shifter and throttle smooth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DuckLn
09-02-2014, 05:59 AM
I can see how longer or shorter would help. Mine are right in the zone where they are binded due to their length but it has never bothered me.

Tiller guy
09-06-2014, 05:58 PM
What year 40hp tiller should I look for or part # for the kit? I need to replace mine because it's cracked and the bigger tiller just looks a lot stronger.