PDA

View Full Version : dry stack or not

ultrafast30
07-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I am building an 86 56 CI omc motor for my new Allison 13. 15 inch mid nitro gear case with nose cone and lwp, Custom tuner.150 PS I head. Thinking about drystacking the adapter and diverting the water out the side and away from the mid. Will this be beneficial on this power head? Any input?

Tim Kurcz
07-26-2012, 06:04 PM
You should pipe a solenoid valve in the circuit. A dry pipe to deliver slightly more top end at the expense of mid-range. If you are able to turn water on & off you have the best of both. Just beware that a dry pipe will melt your plastic water pump impeller and burn paint off the mid section.

Tim

ultrafast30
07-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Tim I have always drilled an 1/8" hole to spray a small amt of water on to the tuner. No paint problems on the v6's. Is this going to kill mid range on a little motor. I have done what you are talking about on a drag motor. seems like a lot of trouble for a play boat.

Tim Kurcz
07-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Tim I have always drilled an 1/8" hole to spray a small amt of water on to the tuner. No paint problems on the v6's. Is this going to kill mid range on a little motor. I have done what you are talking about on a drag motor. seems like a lot of trouble for a play boat.

It is a lot of trouble for a play boat. You need to spray some water to keep the plastic pump housing from burning, so dry is out anyway - unless you find an early cast aluminum pump housing....... The water helps midrange where the accel is anyway.

Good luck!

Tim

BTW: Just finished a batch of 30 aluminum velocity stacks for the OMC 1-bbl with 1.5" throat. $175 for three with fasteners & shipping.

ultrafast30
07-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Tim Can you cut a head for me.