PDA

View Full Version : What OMC should have done....

Powerabout
03-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Hi Ron
drag those comments over here..

Ron Hill
03-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Hi Ron
drag those comments over here..

I could tell you "WHY OMC FAILED" in 10 or 20 articles. The main reason they failed, is the main reason that Hillary didn't get her *** elected....ARROGANCE, is the first word that comes to mind! PPP is another, piss, poor planning.

Powerabout
03-13-2017, 08:12 PM
I could tell you "WHY OMC FAILED" in 10 or 20 articles. The main reason they failed, is the main reason that Hillary didn't get her *** elected....ARROGANCE, is the first word that comes to mind! PPP is another, piss, poor planning.
wrong boss after Charlie Strang left

Powerabout
03-13-2017, 08:18 PM
They should have kept building 2 strokes in HongKong and no doubt that would have moved to China.
The EPA rules only only applied to the USA and then the EU. ( still do)
The rest of the world was forgotten.
Now that I live in Singapore and boat all around Asia its all carby 2 strokes less some of the big new engines on the large wooden tourist boats in Thailand but they are just buying what they can.
For new engines its 2 strokes from Yamaha up to say 90 3cyl tiller rules asia, most of that range was copied from OMC.
Lots of old Yam v4 and v6 from when they dumped them back in the 80's and 90's.

Powerabout
03-13-2017, 08:21 PM
For the USA market they could have done in the front injected engines like MERC for a few years and nearly had a 10 year run before EPA forced DFI or the sold performance engines with EPA credits?
Johnson 250 offshore with injection would have been a serious contender in the performance world.

Powerabout
03-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Not to mention MERC and OMC should have been in the jet ski business...another business gifted to the Japanese

Powerabout
03-13-2017, 08:26 PM
You also see right through Asia and Australia/NZ the parts vendors ( from China, no EPA rules) that have permission from Yamaha to sell own branded engines that are Yam design but most with questionable quality parts meaning more market taken with old 2 strokes.

Powerabout
03-13-2017, 08:29 PM
I do see some of the sled manufacturers still selling injected 2 strokes that are not DFI so there was certainly some mileage in conventional injection and the EPA.

Fastjeff57
03-14-2017, 03:54 AM
..."MERC and OMC should have been in the jet ski business"

Merc was, but they were so unstable they could "tip over in the garage" according to the skinny.

Jeff