PDA

View Full Version : E-tec fits on sst45 mid

Powerabout
08-14-2020, 07:38 AM
yep
bolts in same place

hydrospeed77
08-15-2020, 05:11 AM
Looks like the gaskets are the same part number. For example - both 1983 60hp, and 2011 Etec 2cyl - same gasket.

slowJEEP
08-17-2020, 06:58 AM
Wow, seems like someone would have pointed that out a long time ago.

Powerabout
08-17-2020, 07:08 AM
Wow, seems like someone would have pointed that out a long time ago.
the secret future for sst45 to keep it running for the next 50 years

slowJEEP
08-18-2020, 08:53 AM
Until electric takes over and fuel's hard to find! Hope I'm dead before that happens...

DeanFHobart
08-18-2020, 11:14 AM
Looks like the gaskets are the same part number. For example - both 1983 60hp, and 2011 Etec 2cyl - same gasket.

A current 45 motor is in the 65 HP + or - minus a little... something like that. What is the HP of the 2011 Etec 2 cylinder motor?

How about the weight?

Thank you.

Powerabout
08-19-2020, 04:05 AM
A current 45 motor is in the 65 HP + or - minus a little... something like that. What is the HP of the 2011 Etec 2 cylinder motor?

How about the weight?

Thank you.

not sure but they have big potential when you look at the airflow, maybe new head and twin barrel carbs?
( saying that a flywheel will be a problem so after market ignition or stick to e-tec)

25XS
08-19-2020, 05:59 AM
2-cyl Etec is 40/50/60hp depending on computer & injectors... There is a LOT of complex oil injection lines, oil tank, fuel injection components, wiring, computer, etc attached to this powerhead that likely would not fair too well left exposed while racing and the top cowling of the Etec doesn't really attach to the powerhead, rather sits firmly on two large plastic lower side covers so some sort of custom lower pan set up to accept the stock top cowling would be needed. Maybe it should also be mentioned that Evinrude is out of business and I don't think anyone has hacked into the Etec computer yet for custom rev limits, fuel injection, extra oil, etc.

I did own a 60hp Etec for a couple years and bought it from a customer for whom I rigged it when brand new with a jet pump. I was intimately familiar with it and it was a reliable, VERY strong engine for 60hp. It pushed my 24ft pontoon as fast or faster than the previous 115hp carb Johnson engine.

JohnsonM50
10-04-2020, 05:23 AM
Etec's were advertised as powerful compared to competition, that all changes on course of course. To keep one as is and race would be tuff on that reliability. The complications of it being a clean running yet fast motor would be put to the test there then there's speed.. Of course you would want it to be faster, where might that bring it? Not to say run as a stock outboard [actually super stock on 45 lower] It could be an exciting class or add to the class it would fit into.

Powerabout
10-04-2020, 06:54 AM
2-cyl Etec is 40/50/60hp depending on computer & injectors... There is a LOT of complex oil injection lines, oil tank, fuel injection components, wiring, computer, etc attached to this powerhead that likely would not fair too well left exposed while racing and the top cowling of the Etec doesn't really attach to the powerhead, rather sits firmly on two large plastic lower side covers so some sort of custom lower pan set up to accept the stock top cowling would be needed. Maybe it should also be mentioned that Evinrude is out of business and I don't think anyone has hacked into the Etec computer yet for custom rev limits, fuel injection, extra oil, etc.

I did own a 60hp Etec for a couple years and bought it from a customer for whom I rigged it when brand new with a jet pump. I was intimately familiar with it and it was a reliable, VERY strong engine for 60hp. It pushed my 24ft pontoon as fast or faster than the previous 115hp carb Johnson engine.
the current 45 cowl will go over it no problem

Powerabout
10-04-2020, 06:55 AM
Etec's were advertised as powerful compared to competition, that all changes on course of course. To keep one as is and race would be tuff on that reliability. The complications of it being a clean running yet fast motor would be put to the test there then there's speed.. Of course you would want it to be faster, where might that bring it? Not to say run as a stock outboard [actually super stock on 45 lower] It could be an exciting class or add to the class it would fit into.
race it stock, will last for years

25XS
10-05-2020, 09:49 AM

You seem confident the current 45SST cowl will fit over the 2-cyl 40/50/60hp Etec engine so I'll take your word for it... Here's the powerhead with all it's parts.

Powerabout
10-05-2020, 04:51 PM
I wasnt thinking pull start

25XS
10-06-2020, 06:59 AM
I wasnt thinking pull start

Well, neither was I but it was the first dressed powerhead picture I could find. Anyway, if you imagine the pull start being out of those pictures, I'm really thinking about all the stuff BRP hung low on the sides, taking advantage of additional space in the lower side covers of the Etec. I think a 45SS lower pan would limit space for those hoses, oil tank, and other wiring that hangs down on the sides of the Etec powerhead. Again, I'm not against this idea at all, simply pointing out possible issues.

hydrospeed77
10-06-2020, 07:10 AM
One thing that came to mind with the E-tec blocks is whether or not the oiling locations from the oil injection are strategic in the design in such a way were you NEED to oil those locations in a particular way. The worry is that premix may not lubricate those locations properly..? Has anyone inspected these details? Or can we assume it'd be ok to run pre-mix only?

oledawg
10-06-2020, 12:48 PM

How do you know the SST-45 cowl will fit over the E-Tech 60 hp? Are you talking about the SeaWay cowl or the OMC SST-45 cowl?

Powerabout
10-07-2020, 07:00 PM
How do you know the SST-45 cowl will fit over the E-Tech 60 hp? Are you talking about the SeaWay cowl or the OMC SST-45 cowl?
The Seaway version
I just looked on the bench, the top of the lifting eyes are at the same height,
So I will need to find a crank and flywheel to check if my guess was right or not?
The top of the etec block at the crank is higher than the 45 block but about 1/2" so will depend on the flywheel.

Powerabout
10-07-2020, 07:02 PM
One thing that came to mind with the E-tec blocks is whether or not the oiling locations from the oil injection are strategic in the design in such a way were you NEED to oil those locations in a particular way. The worry is that premix may not lubricate those locations properly..? Has anyone inspected these details? Or can we assume it'd be ok to run pre-mix only?

if you go down the carby route you need to make a flywheel and get a cd ignition set up under it.
Plus the issue if the mains can gravity feed?
I was thinking leave it as an e-tec?
It has huge reeds in it...

Yellowjacket
11-04-2020, 05:21 PM
The 2 cylinder ETEC has a massive tower and inside that tower is a tuned exhaust. The exhaust goes down and wraps back up giving a single cylinder tuned length.

If you put it on another tower you're going to lose that tuning and a lot of power, and of course you'll need to retune the fuel injection to make sure you get a good mixture without the tuned exhaust.

Powerabout
11-05-2020, 07:20 AM
The 2 cylinder ETEC has a massive tower and inside that tower is a tuned exhaust. The exhaust goes down and wraps back up giving a single cylinder tuned length.

If you put it on another tower you're going to lose that tuning and a lot of power, and of course you'll need to retune the fuel injection to make sure you get a good mixture without the tuned exhaust.

yes but long exhaust is all about low end power, perhaps run a rotax pack as the sled guys have full access to programing an e-tec

Yellowjacket
11-05-2020, 09:34 AM
yes but long exhaust is all about low end power, perhaps run a rotax pack as the sled guys have full access to programing an e-tec

No, this is a pipe that is tuned to high power. For optimal power in a single pipe resonance (as this pipe is tuned for) you need a long pipe. If you look up the introduction of the 2 cylinder ETEC's in 2006 there is not only the curves I've shown below, but also how the geometry of the tower was modified for this later version.

For midrange they inject water into the pipe to increase midrange power. The pipe when dry is tuned to provide a power increase in the 5000 to 5500 rpm range. You can see clearly what the power curve looks like dry, the engine comes "on the pipe" above 4500 when dry and that tuning is for max power. When they inject water it provides more power in the range of 3500 to 4500 rpm.

Here is the power curve for the 60 ETEC as published by Evinrude. As you can see the pipe when water isn't being injected is tuned to give max power at high rpm, it isn't tuned for midrange. If you take the pipe off you're going to take a beating at high power. Tuned pipes work over a range of power. The pipe with water injected is still helping at high power, but its gain is rolling off over 5000 rpm. If you took the pipe totally away you'd get hurt pretty badly at high speed.75895

Powerabout
11-06-2020, 11:09 PM
sure injection cools and slows the exhaust for mid range
common on modified jet skis

the 45 is a 45ci engine that makes 70hp at 7000 but based on 50hp at the crank before higher comp and modded exhaust.
the etec 60 with 52ci and has vastly more airflow capability wont be far behind and with a rev limit removed and modded exhaust even closer

but your saying without its long pipe it will make less max hp than in factory form?

Yellowjacket
11-07-2020, 02:17 PM
but your saying without its long pipe it will make less max hp than in factory form?

Yes, exactly.

You could shorten the pipe and get it to work at higher rpm, but if you took it off the existing tower and ran it without a pipe it would not make the 60 hp it does now at 5500 rpm. Look at the power curve. The pipe it has now is tuned for max power at about 5500 rpm. If you take that pipe off you sure a heck aren't going to make 60 hp anymore.

If you want it to run to 7000 rpm then of course with a bit shorter pipe than it has now you could likely make more than 60 hp, because you're turning it more than 25% faster so if you tuned it and it didn't blow all to hell, you could probably make 75 hp, but what I'm saying is that if you put it on the stinger tower it isn't going to be tuned properly and at 5500 rpm you won't make 60 hp.

I have a ETEC two cylinder that we're doing a different lower unit for the military and while it's a good workhorse engine, it's not a thoroughbred. It vibrates a lot and to tune it you're going to have to get in and redo all the maps. I don't know anyone who's doing that right now, but here could be someone who has access to the tools to tune it. Maybe there is someone out there, but I'm not aware of it.

If you bolt it onto the Stinger tower it won't be tuned properly. Just because it can bolt on doesn't mean it will work on that tower.

Powerabout
11-07-2020, 06:34 PM
Yes, exactly.

You could shorten the pipe and get it to work at higher rpm, but if you took it off the existing tower and ran it without a pipe it would not make the 60 hp it does now at 5500 rpm. Look at the power curve. The pipe it has now is tuned for max power at about 5500 rpm. If you take that pipe off you sure a heck aren't going to make 60 hp anymore.

If you want it to run to 7000 rpm then of course with a bit shorter pipe than it has now you could likely make more than 60 hp, because you're turning it more than 25% faster so if you tuned it and it didn't blow all to hell, you could probably make 75 hp, but what I'm saying is that if you put it on the stinger tower it isn't going to be tuned properly and at 5500 rpm you won't make 60 hp.

I have a ETEC two cylinder that we're doing a different lower unit for the military and while it's a good workhorse engine, it's not a thoroughbred. It vibrates a lot and to tune it you're going to have to get in and redo all the maps. I don't know anyone who's doing that right now, but here could be someone who has access to the tools to tune it. Maybe there is someone out there, but I'm not aware of it.

If you bolt it onto the Stinger tower it won't be tuned properly. Just because it can bolt on doesn't mean it will work on that tower.
interesting project you have there, what the story with the vibration?

PS its going on a sst45 mid not a stinger as the etec has the 2 cyl bolt pattern which is completely different than the 3cyl