PDA

View Full Version : Merc 80; small amts of water in #2 cyl

capnzee
03-12-2006, 10:26 AM
:( Need help!! I have a 80 HP Merc, 3 cylinder engine. The number 2 cylinder was getting water into it. I tore the engine completely down, could find no cracks in the cylinder area. I replaced all of the gaskets during the rebuild. Engine ran perfectly for about 5 minutes then started to "miss". Pulled the #2 plug and found a slight amount of water. Could it be the little check valve on the intake manifold. I have never seen these little ball valves in the older engines. Can you run the engine without these little ball valves? Any way, my real question is where could this water be coming from? Does the 80 Merc have any history on this? This engine has blind cylinders and the best I could do when I had it apart is to look for cracks with a flash light but could find none. Any help or ideas, especially from some one with similar experience would be appreciated. Capnzee:(

Ron Hill
03-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Just reverse the battery, and run her in reverse, that should pump the water out...

ADD: Is this the motor with the "BIG FOOT" or "FAT FOOT"??? I actually may have some props for this thing....(This year, see Sport C for sale)... http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027&page=6&highlight=sport+sale

I had another idea ofn the water problem, on run her at Needles when the river is low...

Last ADD: When you having lunch, today...I think I'll come down and let you buy, again! (Did you see the Evinrude 15 A I bough on E-Bay???)

capnzee
03-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I didnot see the engine you bought on E-bay, but if you throw it in the No. 9 boat I will pay you for it when you get to Iowa! That battery trick might work if you make a good contact, now stay off my thread so I can get some "help" from people who know about engines!~ Capnzee:mad:

will350
03-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I try to stay as far away from Mercs as I can get(it's a little "quirky" thing I have) But if it's got a removeable exhaust cover and plate (maybe?) that's where I'd look.
Will

I didnot see the engine you bought on E-bay, but if you throw it in the No. 9 boat I will pay you for it when you get to Iowa! That battery trick might work if you make a good contact, now stay off my thread so I can get some "help" from people who know about engines!~ Capnzee:mad:

Fast Fred
03-14-2006, 04:30 AM
if thare is no water in the carb , you got a prob, thare is no ware for the water to come from on them, if it's not through the fuel, it's got to be a crack.:cool:

crankbearing
03-14-2006, 05:55 AM
The older merc inline both 4 and 6 had a bolt in exhaust plate that would warp and start to leak internally of the cylinder. I do not know if your 80 has a similar plate or the exhaust/water jacket design in that motor but I would certainly look at the exhaust inner baffle and covers as well.

Regards,

Fast Fred
03-14-2006, 06:11 AM
is it not a triple?:cool:

capnzee
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
The motor is a 3 cyl. Merc 80--I have had the engine completely apart, replaced all gaskets on the engine, torqued all of the water jackets and still getting water. I may have a crack in the block itself but could not see it when I had the engine down. No water in the carbs. It looks like tear down time again--Is there a way of pressure testing the block? Capnzee:(

17W
03-14-2006, 10:02 AM
The older merc inline both 4 and 6 had a bolt in exhaust plate that would warp and start to leak internally of the cylinder. I do not know if your 80 has a similar plate or the exhaust/water jacket design in that motor but I would certainly look at the exhaust inner baffle and covers as well.

Regards,
If the 80 has a similar plate.....replace it! As Dave stated above, I have seen this many times.

mercguy
03-14-2006, 12:21 PM
as with all the Mercs with no cylinder heads, there are only 3 things to check, that could cause a water leak:

1) P/H EXHAUST ADAPTOR PLATE (this is what the powerhead bolts to on the midscetion). Make sure the gaskets above and below it are in good shape, as a blown gasket below the plate will cause water to leak from the water inlet passage into the exhaust cavity.

2) INNER EXHAUST BAFFLE PLATE (this is the plate behind the exhuast cover) . It was very likely to be the culprit on the earlier style 4/6 cylinder Mercs, but has been improved since that design.

3) BEHIND THE WATER JACKET COVER. The only problem here would be a crack around one of the cylinders, but probably not very likely...............

you can buy magnaflux in a spray can to check for cracks, but with the amount of water you seem to be getting into the cylinders, it should be obvious by the naked eye where it is leaking..............

mercguy
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
[

ADD: Is this the motor with the "BIG FOOT" or "FAT FOOT"??? I actually may have some props for this thing....(This year, see Sport C for sale)... http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027&page=6&highlight=sport+sale

I had another idea ofn the water problem, on run her at Needles when the river is low...

Last ADD: When you having lunch, today...I think I'll come down and let you buy, again! (Did you see the Evinrude 15 A I bough on E-Bay???)[/QUOTE]

QUOTE=RonHill]Just reverse the battery, and run her in reverse, that should pump the water out...

..........do that and you will GUARANTEED fry the voltage regulator/rectifier and probably lots of other electronics!!!!!!!!!

capnzee
03-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Daren, maybe you can tell me what those little tiny ball check valves located on the intake manifold do--If these were leaking, could that cause the engine to suck water in on the exhaust side? Will the engine run without them if a solid plug was screwed into the same hole they were in? Capnzee

mercguy
03-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Daren, maybe you can tell me what those little tiny ball check valves located on the intake manifold do--If these were leaking, could that cause the engine to suck water in on the exhaust side? Will the engine run without them if a solid plug was screwed into the same hole they were in? Capnzee

those "check valves" are part of the fuel recirculation system and are meant to feed excess fuel (preventing "puddling") to the top and bottom main bearings of the crankshaft. They have NOTHING to do with the water system. DO NOT plug them, as they do provide lubrication for the mentioned bearings. If the water is entering the exhaust side, then your problem is either the powerhead adaptor plate/gasket (which would allow water in the bottom cylinder, not the top or middle cylinders) or the exhaust baffle plate setup...........

you can pull the powerhead off, then apply water under pressure to the inlet water passage on the bottom of the block and look for leaks by looking through the spark plug holes with a flashlight...........

I had 2 of those damn 97 200hp Johnson Ocean Pro's that both had cracks by the #3 cylinder in the exhaust port areas that would leak water in the cylinders...................

whaledog
03-14-2006, 07:55 PM
merc side covers exhaust plates gaskets will leak if you over tighten them.
the gaskets split easily all will spray into the exhaust ports.
torque exhaust covers to spec 150 inch pounds , not to over tighten.

capnzee
03-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Guys, I want to thank you so much for your help and thoughts. I posted this same problem on the "other" website and got absolutely no help from anyone. I think I will tear the entire engine down again, start from scratch and pay particular attention to all of the areas you mentioned. Thanks Capnzee;)

mercguy
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Guys, I want to thank you so much for your help and thoughts. I posted this same problem on the "other" website and got absolutely no help from anyone. I think I will tear the entire engine down again, start from scratch and pay particular attention to all of the areas you mentioned. Thanks Capnzee;)

is there such a thing? Besides Hydroracer and The Pit Stop........

Fast Fred
03-15-2006, 06:57 AM
when you get it apart, leave all the water covers on, bolt a board to the bace of the case with a hole and fitting over the water inlet, the board will close off
the water exit, cap the telltail, pressureize the case with a hose from a water tap, look in the cyl and you will see ware its comin from. you may want to put a hole in the board so you can look up the exhaust. :cool: you follow?:eek: :cool:

capnzee
03-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey Fred got the idea, thanks for all the help:) capnzee

nbranews
03-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Something I've run into a couple of times is a cracked or warped reed causes water to be sucked in through the exaust side of the block. Don't quite understand why or how but tear down has found bad reeds and replacement has cured the problem. Doug Schultz