PDA

View Full Version : Barry Woods.. AKA "King Woods"...

Ron Hill
03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1959#post1959

I wrote a little about Barry Woods, Margarite Woods, at Jack Leek's Memorial, gave me some great pictures of Barry's racing....

These three pictures are Barry's early days...of twin Merc's...and a single OMC...

Ron Hill
03-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Barry "Flying" the Concrete Coring TRIPLE C at.....Paris...1973???

carl lewis
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
This shot was from Philadelphia Pa. in 1978, we had just run at Norfolk Va. a few days before and this race was on July 4th.

We arrived at the pits early in the morning, the race was run on the river separating New Jersey and Pa.

The security arrived while we were prepping the boat, it was a bus full of phillys best wearing riot gear, this should have given me some idea what the day was going to be like.

the weather was crap, they ran a few classes, SJ maybe SE but it was way to windy and rough to really race. There were quite a few spectators so the promoter got with Bill Seebold and decided to put the mod U boats on the water (there was a good cash prize for the big boats to race) so like I said bill somehow got this thing going, I believe the promoter told Bill that if you guys get in the water we will pay you X not a race but a "show" well Bill didnt tell anyone else about the deal except that the race was on.
so he goes out there and stalls and doesnt make the starting line(still getting paid for being on the water though) but Fred, Barry,Packer and I think Buck race. If you look at the picture the flag on the submarine is flying full so that should give you an idea what it was like.

How any of these guys finished I have no idea but they did, later that evening at the banquet I remember Barry being really pissed at the promoter wanting his full share of the prize money (not sure if he ever got it) .
So enough of the pomp and big wigs I decide to take a walk outside and watch the fireworks, got a six pac of Bud (they were selling them on the street corners and I headed to the pits to check on the boat (about 4 blocks)
the boat was fine as the riot squad boys were keeping a real good eye on things.
So I was walking down the promenade and this cop drove up wanting to know what in the hell I was doing out there in the dark? well I had my team Evinrude jacket on, told him I was checking on the boat and was heading back to the hotel, he says "get in" now I don't know if I'm busted for being somewhere I shouldn't be or drinking in public or what so I say "well I'm drinking a beer" he says "got any more?" well I didn't so here we are driving in his car, he's telling me he is doing shore patrol because he blew away some guy this week and his boss is pissed. so off we go to the hotel, keep in mind there are about 20,000 people who are trying to leave downtown since the fireworks show is over the other cops are trying to direct traffic out of downtown and this guy is trying to get into downtown, he has his blue lights on going, on the sidewalk, around cars and pissing off the other cops they are yelling, he is yelling right back and all I want to do is get back to the hotel.

So we finally pull up I hop out, finish the rest of my can crush it and set on the floor of his car and say thanks for the ride. There were a few racers and crew having a cold one outside in the little courtyard bar and I did get some looks when I drove up, got out, smiled and went inside.Quite the night in Philly!!. The next stop was Valleyfield now there's a place!!!!!!

Carl

Ron Hill
03-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Somewhat like Elvis...Barry was "The King"....He didn't race for his health...he raced to win!!!

This is the KING and Charlie Strang....

Around 1974-75...

Ron Hill
03-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Not sure what year, photo by Gary Mumaw

Always loved this boat...I think I could have driving it....Maybe not as fast as Renato or Barry, but I could have driven it.... Guessing 1980..here!

Ron Hill
04-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Barry was having trouble "logging in". So, I called him..

A. He wanted everyone to know, he ALWAYS got paid...may have taken awhile, but he did get paid..

B. His favorite, Ron Hill Story, is Paris, 1972...Were checking out of the Paris, Hilton, and I'm arguing that I DIDN'T have a $1,000 bar bill...Barry says, "Hell that was my bill...Signed for it and billed OMC."....

Barry says he rigged this Seebold in Seebold's garage...Then, went out an broke the record...Garbrecht, decide, he'd better OWN Seebold, so, he bought him...and Ended Evinrudes on Seebold Boats...

More pictures of Barry at speed... The color pictures are Havasu!!!

Ron Hill
04-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm saying 1979, but don't know for sure...V-6 Evinrude...Scotti hull.

Parker pits...Willpower's cowling......Wil Pergande's and Phil Wagner's Seebold, driven by Lee Sutter and Buck Thornton????

Smokey
04-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Carl, the reference to the Norfolk was actually Portsmouth. Barry, Fred, and Jimbo showed up to race. We were shocked, the OMC team at our local race! They arrived early in the week and we stored their boats in a friend's body shop, giving them access to a secure place to work on the boats. Hell, to us it was like having Petty, Pearson, and Yarborough park their race cars in our garage. Barry's hauler truck sticks in my mind. This was a wonderful weekend marred by the passing of Jimbo's father. I remember all these men as being nice guys.:)

Ron Hill
02-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Barry drove the OMC Rotary on this # 35 Scotti...

#35 with the Evinrude is a Seebold, 1975 Eufaula, Alabama..APBA MArathon Nationals, 1str place, Mary Gagen photo and also #35 is Barry with Jimbo chasing him at Miami, 1975 Closed Course Nationals.

Pete Nydahl
03-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Barry had his V-8 Molinari strung out!!!!!!!!!!! 1985

Ron Hill
03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I think Barry's birthday was the 7th of February. Hard to believe that Barry could be 70. Then again it is hard for me to think of myself as being 68.

I remember Barry driving the Concrete Coring V-8 Evinrude Burgess at Parker, seems it was a 13 mile lap. Barry was laping at 140 MPH average when the transom came out.

Barry walked away with a smile. I always wondered had he lapped at 120 MPH would he have won?????Barry ran "FLAT OUT".......He didn't look back. It was straight ahead, full speed ahead.

Happy belated birthday Barry!

FYI: Barry flys around the world in a $22 million dollar corp jet. Obama may not like corporate jets, but Barry loves them.

MN1
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Ron,
Does Barry Woods visit BRF? I believe this is his old 1972 Scotti. The one he ran at the 1972 Havasu Wold Championship. The rear cowl is not original to the boat.
I notice that the deck extends past the back of sponsons. Much like the black & white photo of Barry. Is this the same boat?
Mark Nelson
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/IMG_0455.jpg

Ron Hill
11-10-2012, 12:17 AM
It looks more like Jimbo's and mine Paris boat that John Schubert drove at Parker.....Jimbo told me they filled the "Slots" in the front... Are there any number on the transom? You do know that Barry basivcally owned all the Scotti Boats.....OMC bought them from Barry. He "TIED UP" or "Contracted" Scotti for all his production, so when OMC wanted boats, they had to deal with Barry.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-10-2012, 06:00 AM
It looks more like Jimbo's and mine Paris boat that John Schubert drove at Parker.....Jimbo told me they filled the "Slots" in the front... Are there any number on the transom? You do know that Barry basivcally owned all the Scotti Boats.....OMC bought them from Barry. He "TIED UP" or "Contracted" Scotti for all his production, so when OMC wanted boats, they had to deal with Barry.

Ron,

THe boat that you & Jimbo ran in Paris & I drove at Parker was sent to me by Jack Leek in Florida when I was transferred there by OMC. I had Macdonald fill the slots in his shop at the OMC test station in Naples, raced in only once & JIm Briggs had me ship it on a company truck to Geoff in Long Island. THe number on it was 44, Geoff's number was 3, as was Tim's. Geoff sold it but don't know where it went. If he visits here perhaps he'll respond.

Ron Hill
11-10-2012, 09:22 AM
If you look at the strakes on the chine of Jakes's boat and the number 35, you can see that the strakes are different, therefore, I don't think these are the same two boats. Somewhere, there is a picture of me driving our 1972 Scotti in Paris. Barry's 1972 Paris Boat was better than Jimbo's and mine, but broke two flywheels we only broke one......and I didn't break any!

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?13076-The-Six-Hours-of-Paris-A-History-Thread/page3&highlight=scotti+collection

Two pictures of John Schubert in this boat. Look at how "SQUARE" the chine is at the transom and the low rear cowling. I hope Jake will take a close look and see if the slots were filled in.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-10-2012, 09:28 AM
If you look at the strakes on the chine of Jakes's boat and the number 35, you can see that the strakes are different, therefore, I don't think these are the same two boats. Somewhere, there is a picture of me driving our 1972 Scotti in Paris. Barry's 1972 Paris Boat was better than Jimbo's and mine, but broke two flywheels we only broke one......and I didn't break any!

here is a picture of me at Parker51143

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I'll try again but I can't get the "manage attachments" to work

Go to http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?13076-The-Six-Hours-of-Paris-A-History-Thread/page3&highlight=scotti+collection[/url] post #'s 24 & 25 for a good look at the chine strakes.

MN1
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I am finding a little more about the boat pictured above. Supposedly it is the boat Barry ran at the 1972 Lake Havasu race. It has been really hard to find any photos of this boat. I've seen some photos that look close to this boat and one could be the photo of Barry at St. Louis with the rotary. But I'm not sure if the time period is correct. I have found a dark blue under the brushed on house paint on the boat. But it also looks like a brighter blue underneath. Whether these are original colors when Barry owned the boat is hard to tell. Not much paint was left on the boat.
The cowling is not original to the boat. It is off of one of the Briggs boats.
But here is the dark blue on one of the combing sides.
Mark N
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/IMG_0705_zps0263f84c.jpg