PDA

View Full Version : found some neat stuff

mercury400m
06-29-2007, 06:31 PM
got two things to ask you guys...

what are these pistons for?? pulled them outta a scrap aluminum pile but they are in good condition. there was some 75 hustler (aka the evinrude version of the stinger) parts in the pile so i suspect mabee a match????

Then the other thing i pulled out was this funny looking bottom half of a omc 40 hp lower unit. BTW the fin wasn't welded on its original cast and i presume very rare any idears on the 5 w's??????

JohnsonM50
06-29-2007, 06:54 PM
The foot bottom Ive never seen but might be a commercial application. [certainly wouldnt go very fast] :confused: :cool:

Bill Gohr
06-30-2007, 06:29 AM
The skeg is definately from a work motor, the pistons, if they are OMC parts may be from an early 50hp twin

Roy Hodges
06-30-2007, 07:41 AM
the 75 hustler is NOT a version of the stinger . O M C was owned by Ralph EVINRUDE , not some guy named Johnson . !!! the stinger ,therefore had to be a johnson version of the Evinrude Hustler !!!

Trident
06-30-2007, 08:21 AM
HD / Commercial version of the motor, for work boats, etc. Idea was to better protect prop.

Skoontz
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Seems to me there was a military or swamp version of that 40 gear case made with wings like that. I might be all wet, but I distinctly remember dad bolting one on a Police department John Boat headed for the Ozarks for some rescue of some sort.
They were not big movers and there was this even weirder replacement...A stainless ring that you drilled through the cav plate that encircled the prop....Worked great until that one time when a small log got jammed just right and bent the ring so even after you changed shear pin the ring was bent so bad the prop would not rotate without hitting it...

Add that thing to the variable pitch prop OMC made and you had a recipie for disaster when the prop caused cavitation.....

RichardKCMo
07-01-2007, 09:29 PM
I think you just gave away your age Roy.
You certainly must take into consideration the age of your audiance, but what's great is that you have too.!!!
the 75 hustler is NOT a version of the stinger . O M C was owned by Ralph EVINRUDE , not some guy named Johnson . !!! the stinger ,therefore had to be a johnson version of the Evinrude Hustler !!!

RichardKCMo
07-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Racing on Lake Hodges? Skoontz, when you make that happen ( I'LL Be Bak) i'll come back to So. Cal. dream on.
RichardKCMo:D