PDA

View Full Version : Super Swede ... Lars Strom

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Smokin' Joe
01-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Wayne! Did Dieter teach you German, or were there Texas-Germans around Alice?!

Thanks for the letter from Leif, Lars. If it was in German I could have a pretty good idea, but I never tried Swedish. I got your PM. My satellite modem at the house is not working today and so I am at the office. It may be awhile before I get back on if I can't figure out how to fix it. We all appreciate the job you are doing telling your stories. And it is exciting to hear news from an old friend.

Smokin' Joe
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Hei Sam, jeg er meget imponert av oversettelsen din! Beste hilsen, Joe

Its something like this:

Smokin' Joe
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Og du er og'!

Du är en smart kille Sam! :cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
You got me on all that Joe. I don't even know how to use a translator machine to figure that out.

No on both counts Joe. There are a lot of Texas Germans from the old days in Orange Grove but I never talked to many. And while Dieter did not "teach" me, I picked up some things around him. I learned a lot of boat racing terms from the racers, and also from Bernard Bayerisch at Dieter's shop and Sigfriend Senf who pitted for Kurt Mischke. Basically I bought a couple of German English books to get down the basics then listened in the pits, read the programs and menus and newspapers. Some things are kind of natural like unterwasserteil being lower unit. If you can pronounce the words, you are saying under water thing. And a hydroplane is a flunder. The old conventionals did kind of resemble a "flounder". I always liked to try to pick up something of the language wherever I was.

Smokin' Joe
01-10-2010, 02:50 AM
You and I have a lot in common, I don't like to be around people speaking another language and not be able to speak too. I'll bet you can speak Spanish like a Mexican! I wouldn't trust a machine translation, word combinations have different meanings so a machine can't handle street language. Cornelia knows a lot about Tx-Germans from Sealy to Lagrange, she wrote a masters thesis on the 19th century migration 16 years ago.
So you were at Dieter's shop in Berlin? Senf is mustard, Bayerisch (maybe you guessed) is Bavarian.I didn't know that hydro is 'flunder', but it makes sense, thanks! Louis told me his experience of having to listen to bids in French, Norwegian, generally in the original language of the item, at Christy's in Zürich in earlier days.

You got me on all that Joe. I don't even know how to use a translator machine to figure that out.

No on both counts Joe. There are a lot of Texas Germans from the old days in Orange Grove but I never talked to many. And while Dieter did not "teach" me, I picked up some things around him. I learned a lot of boat racing terms from the racers, and also from Bernard Bayerisch at Dieter's shop and Sigfriend Senf who pitted for Kurt Mischke. Basically I bought a couple of German English books to get down the basics then listened in the pits, read the programs and menus and newspapers. Some things are kind of natural like unterwasserteil being lower unit. If you can pronounce the words, you are saying under water thing. And a hydroplane is a flunder. The old conventionals did kind of resemble a "flounder". I always liked to try to pick up something of the language wherever I was.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-10-2010, 08:15 AM
I don't speak Spanish at all Joe. My cousins who lived on a ranch do, but I guess I was too close to it at a young age and never was interested. Down here in South Texas they don't speak true Spanish, but what's called Tex-Mex. I probably know more than I think I do, and on rare occasions have to pull some up to get info from a gate guard. Several years ago I had a post about one of my pit men who spoke fluent Spanish and I had just completed two years of Russian in high school. While we were rigging up in the pits at the NOA World's in Forest Lake, Minnesota we decided to have a little joke with the locals. Spectators were meandering through the pits and Bud and I were talking to one another, except we weren't using English....or even the same language. He was talking Spanish and I was talking Russian. We didn't understand one another, but we bounced our discussion back and forth as though we did. The people walking through the pits picked up on the fact that it was a foreign language, but it was funny to see when they realized there was a difference. We thought someone would say something, but none ever did. They just walked away.

I picked up a little Hausa in Nigeria and one of my all time favorite phrases is "Na tafi....sai wada rana". It means "I am gone....til we meet again".

Smokin' Joe
01-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I took 2 yrs. Russian in the university, but I'd have been hard put to say anything more complicated than 'do you have a cigarette'? We learned from the U.S. Army text, and it wasn't all that accurate. However, we read Lermontov, so I knew something about Chechnyans (Islamic Caucasians) before I met them as refugees in our Austrian village. We know a guy who was a bodyguard, has 3 fingers on one hand, he sat in on a meeting with the infamous Basayev. Interesting mountain people, like the Afghans they don't forget it or quit when you cross them, but are fast friends if you treat them right. My dad had advised Russian or Chinese, said 'German and French are dead". So what do I do, I end up with a German wife. I'm surprised that you had Russian in high school in S. Texas!

Here's an attempt at your Hausa phrase in Norwegian:

Jeg maa dra, til senere!

(aa or å is pronounced more like 'oa')

I don't speak Spanish at all Joe. My cousins who lived on a ranch do, but I guess I was too close to it at a young age and never was interested. Down here in South Texas they don't speak true Spanish, but what's called Tex-Mex. I probably know more than I think I do, and on rare occasions have to pull some up to get info from a gate guard. Several years ago I had a post about one of my pit men who spoke fluent Spanish and I had just completed two years of Russian in high school. While we were rigging up in the pits at the NOA World's in Forest Lake, Minnesota we decided to have a little joke with the locals. Spectators were meandering through the pits and Bud and I were talking to one another, except we weren't using English....or even the same language. He was talking Spanish and I was talking Russian. We didn't understand one another, but we bounced our discussion back and forth as though we did. The people walking through the pits picked up on the fact that it was a foreign language, but it was funny to see when they realized there was a difference. We thought someone would say something, but none ever did. They just walked away.

I picked up a little Hausa in Nigeria and one of my all time favorite phrases is "Na tafi....sai wada rana". It means "I am gone....til we meet again".

Master Oil Racing Team
01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
It was just a fluke. We had a large class and by the time I got to pick my classes as a sophomore Spanish was full so I took leatherworking and photography. You had to have two years of language to graduate so I had to sign up for something in my junior year. I didn't want to be in class with a bunch of sophomores and I found out there were only six students in Russian class. Russian I and II were all together with two sophomores, three juniors and a senior. Our instructor was a genius with common sense, drove a VW microbus and sold SWIPE on the side. He was tall, a little bulky, had a crew cut,wore a string tie and cowboy boots. He was one of a kind. He taught Russian, Latin, calculus, and advanced physics.

I never heard of Lermontov. What other languages do you speak or dabble in? When I was a kid we shot skeet and one of the guys that shot with us one weekend was a Norwegian ship captain. Him and my Dad got along real well and Friday or Saturday night he took us up to the wheelhouse of his ship tied along the docks at Corpus Christi. That's the only time I've ever been on a ship and it really impressed us kids. He let us look at the green images on his radar scope.

Maybe you could post a few shots of your village. Debbie and I spent a couple of days in Austria on our honeymoon, and I got a real scenic look driving down from Berlin with Dieter on the way to Linz in 1979. A really beautiful country.

Smokin' Joe
01-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Interesting tale, but what's SWIPE? My physics teacher was a fisherman (Johnson 10 or worse), when I tried to tell him about sound waves in the context of tuned exhaust he could only respond, 'Yeah, you only want to make noise and irritate the fishermen.' I did want to make noise, and I wasn't interested in what the fishermen thought in those days. I know Norwegian and German well enough to read novels nearly as well as in English, although sometimes I have to guess some words. I've struggled through two Swedish novels but it was too hard, not much fun. I can manage enough Italian, Spanish or French to get around, not more. I can manage with Norwegian in Sweden and Denmark, but there are 28 major dialects in Norway, some are archaic and I don't understand them. Impressive that you traveled with Dieter!

Here are some Ehrwald photos from summer.

1.View from guest room (you and Debbie, e.g.)
2. Behind the townhouses where we live, the Zugspitze. I see it from my computer right now.
3. another view from the guest room.
4. Hans in 2008 with a colleague from UH. Hans (trumpet) had just
played with the village band in an outdoor concert. English tourists used to want to photograph him in lederhosen when he was small, not knowing that he's German-American, not Tiroler. Few men here are blond.
5. A view from the guest room in late June (first cut).
6. Hans as Krampala, Nikolaustag, 5 Dec.
7. More Krampalas in the parade.

It was just a fluke. We had a large class and by the time I got to pick my classes as a sophomore Spanish was full so I took leatherworking and photography. You had to have two years of language to graduate so I had to sign up for something in my junior year. I didn't want to be in class with a bunch of sophomores and I found out there were only six students in Russian class. Russian I and II were all together with two sophomores, three juniors and a senior. Our instructor was a genius with common sense, drove a VW microbus and sold SWIPE on the side. He was tall, a little bulky, had a crew cut,wore a string tie and cowboy boots. He was one of a kind. He taught Russian, Latin, calculus, and advanced physics.

I never heard of Lermontov. What other languages do you speak or dabble in? When I was a kid we shot skeet and one of the guys that shot with us one weekend was a Norwegian ship captain. Him and my Dad got along real well and Friday or Saturday night he took us up to the wheelhouse of his ship tied along the docks at Corpus Christi. That's the only time I've ever been on a ship and it really impressed us kids. He let us look at the green images on his radar scope.

Maybe you could post a few shots of your village. Debbie and I spent a couple of days in Austria on our honeymoon, and I got a real scenic look driving down from Berlin with Dieter on the way to Linz in 1979. A really beautiful country.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
What a spectacular location Joe.:cool: Swipe was a liquid all purpose cleaner. What is a krampala? Was Nikolaus day when the krampalas burn stuff on Dec. 5, or what's it all about? Seems like a pretty good fire going on that float.

ADD: After taking another look, the fire must be in the background and the float pass by. Still....looks pretty amazing.

Smokin' Joe
01-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Spectacular it is, but I'm missing water since I got back into outboards. Krampala is a devilish character who accompanies Nikolaus. St. Nicolaus gives candy to the kids while Krampala scares them and switches their legs with his big broom. This is a remnant of pagan tradition inside Catholicism. In Lutheran Norway, a goat's-head character ran around doing bad stuff on Christmas Eve as late as the 19th century.

What a spectacular location Joe.:cool: Swipe was a liquid all purpose cleaner. What is a krampala? Was Nikolaus day when the krampalas burn stuff on Dec. 5, or what's it all about? Seems like a pretty good fire going on that float.

ADD: After taking another look, the fire must be in the background and the float pass by. Still....looks pretty amazing.

Lars Strom
05-15-2010, 05:53 PM
This is from the race in Stockholm 1973..My Clerici SE boat with the
Evinrude 65SS (Ft10S) mid section..

Lars Strom
11-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Finally..after a trip to Sweden and turning my Dads house up side down I found my letters from OMC.

The OMC letters was the best news in my life back then..(1975)
After a few years as a young hungry struggling boat racer..
OMC and Jack Leek hired me to be one of few paid Boat racers..

Well..I need a scanner and my plan is the let everyone that are interested
to read them here at Boatracingfacts....

A dream came true..I call it..My American dream!!

I start with a Telegram from Beat Jenni 1974..

Ombesa is Outboard Marine Belgium S.A. in Bruges (Brugge)

Master Oil Racing Team
11-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I am glad you finally found what you were looking for. We are looking forward to more of the letters.

LIQUID NIRVANA
11-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Great to see Lars,

Thanks for showing us

ken

Lars Strom
11-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Need a scanner..the OMC letters are the old style really
thin air mail paper..
Normally a good camera works, but not with this paper..

Well..the camera works for this...

South Africa 1975 with Jimbo McConnell
A pretty good Telex for a 22 year old Swede..

Lars Strom
11-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Letter after the BP 200 Race..:)

Lars Strom
11-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Telegram from OMC Belgium..I kind of like them..

Master Oil Racing Team
11-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I can see why.:cool::)

Lars Strom
11-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Hmmm..OMC King Cobra looks good

Signed by the girl at the Miami Boat Show 1986-87

Lars Strom
11-20-2010, 02:57 PM
My Piraya 17 with one of the first FT-19s powerhead..1976.

The co-pilot behind me is the Swede Bertil Wik..he raced
Formula One V-8 later..(1985)

Extremly fast V-bottom..75mph with two onboard and gasoline for 1,5 hours..

Yes..we won the race Roslagsloppet that year..E- Class

Lars Strom
11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Here it is..the best letter in my life..
First time ever I show this unique letter..

Not bad for a high school drop out, that dreams about Boatracing
for a living.

Again..Thanks OMC and Jack Leek
March 5 1975..:) What a day..

PS..Makes me tear up reading it..

Mark75H
11-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Not bad at all! Thank you for sharing this special piece of history and your life!

Lars Strom
11-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Jepp..the skinny one in the center is me..20 years old.:)

Ron Hill
11-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm not placing the name Potter...Can you give me some details.

I won't talk OE props here.....But Paul Kalb and I had a special relationship about props.

Lars Strom
11-21-2010, 04:19 AM
Hi Ron,

Mike M. Potter was the Manager Director for Outboard Marine
Belgium.

If i remember right was he from Australia

Photos from "the Boathouse" in Belgium..Well, the Racing department.

I am sure you have been there Ron testing before Paris 6 hours..

Master Oil Racing Team
11-21-2010, 11:23 AM
This is the 20,000th view on this thread Lars. Thanks for a most interesting and successful thread.:)

Lars Strom
11-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Ron..

I put you to a test now..
Who is it in the blue shirt..???

I think you know!!

Lars Strom
11-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know who he is???

Lars Strom
11-23-2010, 02:59 AM
OK..here is a letter from the man in blue shirt..:)

Lars Strom
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I am writing about the Paris 6 hour race over in Sweden and need
some help..

Where can I found info of all the US drivers in the Paris race, photos and or videos..??

Thank you

Lars

Master Oil Racing Team
11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Lars, check in with Mike Ward in the U.K. He has checked in some here lately so you could try to pm him. He has a lot of info on all UIM outboard racing, and he has quite a few programs. It may be that he has some rosters from Paris. You didn't mention any specific year, so I gather you want a list of all US drivers that have competed???

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I am writing about the Paris 6 hour race over in Sweden and need
some help..

Where can I found info of all the US drivers in the Paris race, photos and or videos..??

Thank you

Lars

Lars,

I have rosters of the 3 races that I ran in Paris, 1970 co-driving with Ron Hill, 1971 co-driving with Geoff Briggs & 1972 co-driving with Art Kennedy. Also Powerboat magazine usually provided great coverage of the race. I hace the magazine with the article written by Charlie Strang of the 1971 race where I had a 20 minute lead over second place, but blew the engine with about 50 minutes to go.If you would like copies of any of this let me know.

Lars Strom
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Lars, check in with Mike Ward in the U.K. He has checked in some here lately so you could try to pm him. He has a lot of info on all UIM outboard racing, and he has quite a few programs. It may be that he has some rosters from Paris. You didn't mention any specific year, so I gather you want a list of all US drivers that have competed???

Hi and thank Wayne..

Is there a thread here at BRF with pictures and info about Paris 6 Hours..
In my opinion..the greatest race in Power Boat history..

If not..maybe someone should start one..

I think you like this photo;)

Regards

Lars

Ron Hill
11-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey Ron..

I put you to a test now..
Who is it in the blue shirt..???

I think you know!!

When I asked about Potter, I was thinking about John Tucker. HE was a fun guy, he always, "HUMPED" before he talked...It would be "HUMP', "Hump" well... (1967-1970 I'm guessing that he worked at OMC Belgium)...

Lars Strom
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Lars,

I have rosters of the 3 races that I ran in Paris, 1970 co-driving with Ron Hill, 1971 co-driving with Geoff Briggs & 1972 co-driving with Art Kennedy. Also Powerboat magazine usually provided great coverage of the race. I hace the magazine with the article written by Charlie Strang of the 1971 race where I had a 20 minute lead over second place, but blew the engine with about 50 minutes to go.If you would like copies of any of this let me know.

Thanks John,

For the stuff in Sweden I need Paris 6 hour info from 1973 to 1986.
but I still believe there should be a special thread here at BRF about
the greatest race ever..
We can all ad things there.
From start?? to the last race and why is there no more 6 hour race in Paris..:(

Master Oil Racing Team
11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Lars.....thanks for laying out the course. In all the years I have read about the race, I never saw a layout, or it being described as you have just placed it. I always thought t it was longer....but seeing all the hard surfaces, both inside and outside, I can see how grueling it must have been. I will E mail Mike with your request, and also check Ann Strangs columns in Propeller. While I do not necessarily agree that it's the greatest race (I like all out speed and cornering contests rather than pounding and endurance) I do agree that a thread on the Paris 6 hour would be a good thing for the encyclopedia.

Ron Hill
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Lars on your map, that little yellow spot is where there is a small Statue of Liberty. I had never been on the course, and Ted May started the race, at the pit stop Ted was yelling at me to "Watch it at the Statue of Liberty." I'm thinking, "Christ, Ted must have gotten hit in the head or some damn fool thing, as everyone knows the Statue of Liberty is in New York."

Turns out, it was rough as hell at The STATUE OF LIBERTY turn...

I ran there 1968-72. Interesting irony, I had tickets to fly to Paris, but stayed home as my daughter Jessica was born on the day of the Six Hours of Paris, 1973. I have not been back to France since 1972.

We should start a thread about The Six Hours, but it could also be under Outboard History as we did run outboards in Paris.

Lars Strom
11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Lars on your map, that little yellow spot is where there is a small Statue of Liberty. .

Japp..that´s why I put the little yellow spot there..

I raced there 11 times..1973 to 1986.

If I remember right, one lap was just under 3 miles long and hundreds
of thousands of people was watching the race.

When you tell people about racing in Sweden, Italy, USA, England, South Africa etc.
they maybe listening..but when you tell them you raced 6 hours on the river Seine
next to the Eiffel tower in the center of Paris.. they always want to know more..

Master Oil Racing Team
11-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I have to concede that point to you Lars. You are right. And I do like the photo.:cool:

I sent a message off to Mike Ward. In his book he is showing the first Americans to finish in the top three were Jim Wynne and Walt Walters who finished second in 1964 with a Souters/Volvo in class R1.

The first Americans to win was the team of Johnny Sanders and Tommy Posey in 1970 in a Molinari. Mike didn't list the motor so don't know if it was Evinrude or Johnson in class ON. Mackinley and Sanders finished second the year before in a Johnson powered Molinari, so it probably was Johnson. I know Mike would appreciate any help in filling in the gaps of his results if anyone has more info.

There are a number of winners from the U.S. that teamed with drivers from another country.

Mikes book of UIM World Champion and other results range from 1938-2008, and he is always looking for updates. Paris 6 Hours is from 1955 through 1988 so I presume that was the final race. I had been out too long to keep up at that point.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Lars, I contacted Mike Ward. He says he normally doesn't compile such a list of drivers, but he has a lot of racing programs and he said he would go through them to see what he could find. I believe Mike also has the archives from Powerboat & Waterskiing that was published in London.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Mike was quick to gather up this info. As he mentioned in the disclaimer, this does not mean they got out on the race course, this is just the info he had regarding U.S. drivers during the respective years, and depending on when the list was printed, there could have been additional last minute entries.

Lars Strom
11-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Again..Thanks for your help Wayne.

Hmmm..look what i found..Result from Paris 6 hours 1972..
Ron..please make a coment!! about the third place..

1972 Paris 6 Hours result

Bob Hering / Renato Molinari USA/Italy Molinari / Mercury ON
Tom Percival / Bob Spalding GB Molinari / Mercury ON
Jimbo McConnell / Ron Hill USA Scotti / Evinrude ON

Ron Hill
11-27-2010, 04:47 PM
In the '71 Six Hours, I drove with Mike Wallace in a Schultz. Mike was lighter than me by many pounds, the motor had about 14 inches of set back, and Mike had quite a time driving that boat.

I on the other hand, at 6'5", 240 I loved the boat and drove it for almost 4 1/2 hours. I broke a crank while leading with 20 minutes to go, or less...I set the "Index of Performance" record which was to the person who made the most speed gain in his or her class from the year before .Monday morning after Paris, waiting for a cab, Gary Garbrecht offered me a job at Mercury and a ride with Team Mercury. I said, "Don't you remember you hired Jimbo and he worked one day for you, until my dad talked to him?" I said, Jack, Charlie and Ann have been good to me. I have a steady job teaching, thanks, but no thanks."

Fast forward to 1972, Jimbo and I are scheduled to drive OMC's number one boat. It is a new Scotti with slotted front, somewhat like a pickelfork, but handled like garbage, would not take a set with me or Jimbo and didn't seem very fast.

Jimbo started the race and we were in the top 6-8 which isn't bad for the first hour and half. When Jimbo stopped for fuel, the flex flywheel was broken, and Kenny.....and Mouse had a hell of a time getting the flywheel nut loose and we lost a ton of time.

When I finally left the pits I figured, great day to take a boat ride, too bad we'll be last.

I just kind of drove, maybe like Ted May would have. I watched the girls on the bridges and along the shore and just had fun. At three hours I pulled in for fuel and Jimbo wasn't in sight. Finally, I see him in STREET clothes. I realize he isn't taking over for me....

I yell at someone what place are we in and they say 12th or something. Anyway, I roar on out of the pits thinking what else would I being doing on a Sunday in October??? I keep seeing ON boats broke down, and by 4 1/2 hours when I stop again, I ask what place am I in, and am told like 5th...Jimbo is standing there with helmet and jacket on....I give him the BIRD FINGER, and take off from the pits just as he's going to get in the boat.

I ended up third...Jimbo and I enjoyed the trophy dinner that night. In our more than 50 years of friendship, Jimbo and I hardly every get mad at each other, and if we do get mad, we usually forget what we were mad about.

The next spring I was to drive that slotted Scotti at Parker and refused, I said, "I'd run my OWN Scott and my own DAMN motor..." Bill Muncey and John Schubert then drove that Scotti at Parker and had the steering wheel not broken, they may have won! John can fill us in on those details!

Lars Strom
11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Yes Ron and Thanks.. I really Want.. The "TRUE" Story????

In my opinion the Paris 6 Hour race have enormous stories
that has never been told..

OMC and Mercury Marine spent more money on this race than any
other race..

Always in the beginning of October and a new fresh budget for OMC
Sep. 30 - Oct 1 was OMC´S calendar year.

Look at all the drivers..from Reggie Fountain, to Birger Halsaa Norway..
I think if you ask them now..Paris 6 hours is the one we all remember
as the best..

Mr. Bladinarie..the officer of the day that only spoke French..
if you did not do things his way..disqualified..

Big after race party at Hilton Paris where all the drivers where staying..

the Paris 6 hour race make me tear up..thinking back..

Ron Hill
11-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Something about walking from the Paris Hilton, under the Tour de Effiel, to the river Seine to race was MAGIC. And the drvier'sparty after was awlays great fun, considering us dumb Americans never knew which fork to eat with....but the waiters had no problem showing us!!!

I usually drank red and white wine, that way I figured I could be wrong...Oh how the FRENCH hated us UGLY AMERICANS!!!! Of course, Ted May would always remiond them WHO WON the WAR FOR THEM!!!

Lars Strom
11-28-2010, 05:47 AM
From 1975..page one and two

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-28-2010, 03:58 PM
In a previous post Ron talked about the slotted nose Scotti's the boats that led to the pickle forks. He said that i should post regarding how I & my co-driver Bill Muncey did. This story actually begins the week prior to the Parker race at the introduction to the Rotary race engines that OMC put on at the Miami Marine stadium hosted & emceed by Bill Muncey. It must be said here that Bill was to drive a Tunnel for Evinrude & Tom Ireland who was Evinrude's service manager at that time. Anyway, the media show at the Miami Marine stadium featured an Evinrude/Scotti Rotary driven by Jimbo McConnell, a Johnson/Scotti rotary driven by Johnny Sanders, a V-4 Johnson driven by Rich McKinley and an Evinrude V-4 on Ron's #9 slotted nose Scotti. We had the presentation on the water & then had a press recetion at a hotel down town Miami at the Dupont Circle hotel. (not sure of the name of the hotel). Jim Briggs asked if I wanted to drive the same Scotti & V-4 at Parker the next week with Bill Muncey as my co-driver. Of course I wanted to. OMC got the rig to Parker where with the permission of Jack Leek I found a sign painter & replaced Ron's # 9 with my #44. This was a 7 hour race & I stared having had experience at Parker. At that time we raced the 6 1/2 mile up river & return course. Heading up river I remember passing many boats including Billy Seebold. The first 2 boats to come around were the Rotaries driven by Jimbo & Posey. They both retired later with I believe gearcase failures. The Colorado River was very tricky as there were many turns with different directions. Due to some wind from some directions & thermal effects from the desert as the sun rised higher during the day you had to remember each previous lap wher the problem areas were. This created a lot of issues for Mercury drivers. Bobby Hering & Lee Sutter blew over in about the same are. I believe that Georgio Molinari or another Italian blew over & destroyed his Molinari, and there were others. At the first fuel stop about 1 1/2 hours I was in the top 5 considerably ahead of the eventual 1st place boat driven by Denny & Dewey Derghauer Mercury/Molinari & the eventual boat second place boat a Johnson V-4 Cougar pickle fork driven by Johnny Sanders & James Beard the partner in Cougar boats. Bill Muncy got in the boat & never came around. Finally he shows up at a very slow speed. IAt the upper turn the steering shaft spline stripped with the steering wheel spinning in his hands. Bill drove the 6 1/2 miles grabbing the cables on each side of the steering wheel between the drum & the coaming pulleys. This confirmed to me that he deserved the name "Iron Man". The OMC crew decided to drill through the hub of the wheel & shaft to fasten the steering wheel to the shaft. Tom Ireland asked me if at the last fuel stop could I stay in to the finish even though it meant driving for 3 + hours, I agreed if we were in contention. They fixed the wheel, I went out, but had no trim as when the wheel spun on Bill it broke the trim wires. You couldn't cut through the course so I had to go all the way around to return to the pits. They repaired the trim & off I went. I was in 3rd at the last fuel stop & felt bad for Bill as he was suited up ready to go but I stayed in & made up some laps finishing 3rd. Bill ran a different Scotti/Evinrude combo a couple of weeks later in Memphis, blowing over. Atlas Van Lines, his Unlimited employer, said "no more". I later had that boat sent to me to me in Florida where I lived & was working for OMC non-marine products & took it to the test station in Naples where McDonald closed the slots in the deck. I forgot to mention earlier that the 2 Rotary boats driven by Jimbo & Posey began their life withy slotted decks but were filled in at the boat shop in Waukegan, thus the reason I had Mack do mine. I had no problems with the slots but thought that it would perform better without them. Unfortunately, Mac was never the one to lean towards lightness rather then strength & filling in the slots added a lot of weight, but did handle better. I could beat Burt Ross with his pickle fork Allison but couldn't beat Jeff Titus with his shorter & lighter Scotti. That winter the boat went north to Long Island & Geoff Briggs. My job got better with OMC, but my driving career was over as Jim Briggs & OMC executives deemed that my job was higher priority.

Lars Strom
11-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Thank you John..that is really fun stuff to read..

I came in to late in outboard racing to be part of the classic Parker and Havasu..

Ron Hill
11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Let's contact the people in Paris and run a six hour...No tunnels with capsules. On V-Hulls Sport Boats...Let the barges run like the old days!!!

Maybe allow MOD VP bottoms like our COR 2.0 Way cool to run a COR 2.0 in Paris...

If it is to be, it is up to us!!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Very interesting indeed John. I had heard parts of that before, but not the whole story as you just told it.:cool:

Lars Strom
11-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Let's contact the people in Paris and run a six hour...No tunnels with capsules. On V-Hulls Sport Boats...Let the barges run like the old days!!!

Maybe allow MOD VP bottoms like our COR 2.0 Way cool to run a COR 2.0 in Paris...

If it is to be, it is up to us!!!!

Hehe..:) Ron..I am like milk...best before date.. was long time ago..
Well..I have no problem working for free as your pit crew!!

Ron Hill
11-30-2010, 05:05 PM
All our pit crew pay....nobody works for Hill Marine for free. I will cost you to work. First race in Havasu Landing in February. You some come out with your motor home, see Jimbo and come to the race. Gamble a few bucks in the casino to make our sponsors happy.

If you want to drive a COR 2.0 I'll have you a boat. Havasu Landing Resort and Casino is on the CALIFORNIA side of the lake.

Lars Strom
11-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Ron,

Let me think about that..
It is time for me to visit you and your area again.
Last time we parked the motor home by Jimbo´s house
but I guess he has a new place now.

Well..I sold the motorhome..flying sounds better..

I just found some photos of the 1976 factory Burgess OE boat
raced by my friend Bo Nilsson and me in Paris 6 hours same year

Lars Strom
11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Paul Kalb asked me to rig this brand new Burgess OE boat
and race it in Paris 6 hours 1976.
( #47)

My friend Bosse Nilsson helped me and was the co-pilot.

We spent many days before the race in Bruges testing and hanging out
with fun wild Americans.:) One of them was Barry Woods...

Yes..we tested lots of new props on the river next to the OMC boat house in Bruges..
The best and fastest props was always the ones made by famous
Hill Marine.:cool:
We picked one that had thicker blades..maybe not the quickest
but lots of debris in the river Seine.. thicker blades made them last better.

Long story short..we was many laps ahead of second place boat after 5 hours..
but engine problems forced us to park on the trailer before 5.00 PM.

Yes..I am the little one sitting in the cook pit before start..11.AM

PS. This was the first and only race I used a Johnson..
Well..Evinrude never made me disappointed!!:)

PS 2..
The #42 boat last picture is John Hill..

Lars Strom
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
As an OMC dealer and loyal racer I most of the time said
that the reason for not finish a race was newer the engine.
Always something else..:p

35 years later I think I can tell the true reason for not finish..

Ron Hill
11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi Ron,

Mike M. Potter was the Manager Director for Outboard Marine
Belgium.

If i remember right was he from Australia

Photos from "the Boathouse" in Belgium..Well, the Racing department.

I am sure you have been there Ron testing before Paris 6 hours..

The boat here on this post is a Scotti, right? OE with the racing gfearcase of shifting case?

Lars Strom
11-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I think it is a Scotti OE boat with a stock Evinrude 75hp Hustler with
standard shifting gear case (nitro). Model year 1975.

Looks like a German flag on the boat..
Do not really remember who the driver was..

Pretty sure the photo is from 1975.

EDIT..No..that is not a German flag..can not figure out that flag.
Belgium colors.. but at the wrong place.:confused:

Lars Strom
11-30-2010, 08:28 PM
A few more pics I found before you get to 1978 Lars. .

Ron..there is one more OE Scotti/Volvo here..Wayne took at Konig 1977.
race # 426.

I do not think Scotti made many OE boats.

Lars Strom
12-01-2010, 07:07 PM
This is from 1975.. 2 hour race outside Stockholm, Sweden
My Clerici SE cat with the Evinrude 75 Hustler Stock outboard
shifting "Nitro" gear case.

Very fun and good race..

Lots of boats, mixed.. inboards and outbords

Lars Strom
12-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I found lots of fun stuff on my trip to Sweden a few weeks ago.

This is not a race boat..my pleasure boat 1985 with the two first
Evinrude V8 outboard in Europe..
Used as a masterboat at the Stockholm GP for F1-V8 1985..
The year the 6 inch mid-sections broke..and the engines where
flying all over the place..

Yes..Barry Woods was there and lost his engine..but charmed
all the Swedish blond girls.:).

Lars Strom
12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
This makes me happy..

I young Swedish friend of mine Oscar Samuelsson is leading
the F1 support class F4s.

Oscar has been winning most of the races and are racing this weekend
again..

I remember when i was in that age..winning is everything
and with some luck Oscar is a future F1 Champ...

He drives a Danish built Mollgard with the Merc 60 Four Stroke.

Lars Strom
12-02-2010, 08:09 PM
This is the way they look back then..

Lars Strom
12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
This is from Beat Jenni. He later became the CEO of OMC Belgium
and helped me with lots of racing issues.

Thanks Mr Jenni.

Lars Strom
12-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Check this video..Stockholm Grand Prix 1983.
Part of the F1-V8 World Series..Boat # 8 is mine..

Sorry for Swedish only..but the film was done by Swedish TV back then..:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UylWSQjJYw

Rotary John
12-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Lars:
Your photo on post 282 of this thread. I'm the guy on the right, Mouse has his back to the camara, I believe it is Alen Ya in the blue jacket, and I'm not sure of the other 2
John

Lars Strom
12-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi Rotary John..

If the yellow arrow is you..than I remenber you very well..:cool:

..the blue arrow is Mouse I think.??

Rotary John
12-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Rotary John..

If the yellow arrow is you..than I remenber you very well..:cool:

..the blue arrow is Mouse I think.??
You are correct on both. It had to be '74 or '75. Allan Ya is the other blue jacket. He sponsered Tommy Posey and Bobby Witt. I think he had something to do with Johnny Sanders also before he married mcCunes daughter.

Rotary John
12-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Lars:
I just finished reading you entire thread. I don't know why I haven't seen it before, but it was very interesting. Those were the haydays of outboard racing. I don't believe they will ever come back as there is no money in it for the manufacturs. The current F1 looks to be sponsered by countries or cities trying to get world attention. The offshore guys seem to be a write off for big corperations.
Anyway, enjoyed the stories.
John

Lars Strom
12-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks a lot John,

There is plenty of more stories..after my year with Volvo Penta/König (1977) I came back home again.. to OMC and Evinrude.
4-5 years in the OE-F-3 class with help from OMC and Ric McChesney.
Than a few years in the F1-V8 circus..

I have a plan to do all those memories in English also and put them here at
Boatracingfacts.

Well..do you remember the white Swedish clogs with the Evinrude loggo..??
Came from me..
I gave Ziggy a pair..but he could not walk in those shoes.. :)

Lars Strom
01-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Japp..that´s why I put the little yellow spot there..

I raced there 11 times..1973 to 1986.

If I remember right, one lap was just under 3 miles long and hundreds
of thousands of people was watching the race.

When you tell people about racing in Sweden, Italy, USA, England, South Africa etc.
they maybe listening..but when you tell them you raced 6 hours on the river Seine
next to the Eiffel tower in the center of Paris.. they always want to know more..

Check this video..including Cesari Scotti, a young Jack Leek, Jimbo McConnell and more..

Paris 6 Hour Enduro 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POEkV6D0OWI

Lars Strom
01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
I was very excited about year 1976.
This was my second year as an exclusive authorized Evinrude dealer, and my business was
doing way better than expected.

On top of that the SE Class European/Continental Championship race was going to take place
in Sweden and I could be the first driver in history to win 4 in a row.

I asked Franco Clerici to build me a boat with some of my own input, and for the first time Evinrude/Sweden
sent a driver to Cremona Italy to pick the boat up.

The boat was exactly the way I wanted, and we painted the boat to match the 1976 Evinrude Hustler.

OMC told me to start the season with a stock 75 hp motor, and as soon as the new Evinrude FT 19 S
was ready they sent me one.

There was rumors that Mercury was coming out with a second generation of 650 XS and I was
disappointed that the new Evinrude was delayed.

Early every spring the Swedish Power Boat Federation invited all the Press and Media to a Party
at Gåshaga Wärdshus.
I took my very good looking boat to that place early in the morning and cover it up to make it more interesting.

The press people asked me if they could take a photo of my "secret Boat", and I told them No.
Only the rear of the Clerici Boat.

The day after I got all the headlines in the news papers and many pictures of the Evinrude motor.
Not my "secret boat"....

The plan worked perfect!!
Remember, I was selling outboards not Race boats.

We raced 5 or 6 races, before the Big one in Nora, and my boat was perfect.
First place in all the races and the next one was now the European Championship.

One week before the Race I was told the new Evinrude FT 19 S was on the way to Sweden.
Way to late, because I was not happy starting to change things only a few days before
the Big Race.
I felt pretty good I could win with my stock 75, but OMC told me to install the new engine.

We did and tested.
The top speed was better, but not so good after the turns.

Well, at the Race in Nora there was many people upset because only Bo Nilsson and I had the
new engine.
I told OMC I can win with the old engine, but was told to just race and stay out of politics.

Lots of SE Boats at the Race, and I was worried about sabotage at night, so my friend
Christer "Monstret" Eriksson was guarding the boat all night with jumper cables in his hand to
scare people away.

RACE DAY

Same type of Race, 4 heat 3 counts and clock start or flying start as it was called in Swedish.

Everything was perfect at the last practice: the boat, the balance, set up, prop, engine and the driver was ready.

Without bragging, but I was very good to time the start.
Always wide open when I crossed
the starting line and that is a big part of winning a race.

I won the first three heat and Gert Lowisin was starting to take my engine apart when they
still raced for second place.
At that time I did not want Gert to do that, because he worked for Volvo Penta and was part
responsible for the Volvo Penta/Konig OE engine.

Anyway, he was the Chief Technical Inspector for the race and after 3 hours he said officially that my
engine was 100 % legal.

Now I was 4 X European Champion and celebrated with a big Outboard sale at my dealership.

A new photo from Bengt Martinsson..Thank you

This is a great photo for a few reasons..

First..one of my best friends Christer "Monstret" Eriksson is holding my SE Clerici/Evinrude/FT-19s at the European Championship race in Nora, Sweden 1976.
Erik later died in a Helicopter crash flying to oil rigs outside the coast of Louisiana

Ron Hill was also a good friend of Christer "Monstret" Eriksson.

One of few photos I have of Erik.. and my very fast Clerici..

Mark75H
01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks, Lars.

I like these pictures and the stories behind them :)

Master Oil Racing Team
01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
I agree with Sam.

Lars Strom
01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Thank you Sam and Wayne..
I just wish I had have a digital camera back then..:)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The only way to see that I was using the new Evinrude FT-19 S at the picure in post #328
is the little sticker back on the cowling..red arrow..

Powerabout
01-11-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm amazed that OMC madde a race engine with a heavy lower (pan) and upper cowl?

Lars Strom
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
The stock Mod 50/OE/F-3 engine used the same cowling as the FT-19S
... later the OE/F-3 engine used a different cowling..

Well..it was good "enuff" to beat the competition...:)
$3,800.00 was a very good price to..

EDIT..
Merc 650 XS and 650/700 X used plastic..but did not have any power..!!!:D
Sorry Merc fans..

Master Oil Racing Team
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM
All I can say is that those compact low gravity packages look like brutes.:cool:

Ron Hill
01-12-2011, 08:12 PM
A new photo from Bengt Martinsson..Thank you

This is a great photo for a few reasons..

First..one of my best friends Christer "Monstret" Eriksson is holding my SE Clerici/Evinrude/FT-19s at the European Championship race in Nora, Sweden 1976.
Erik later died in a Helicopter crash flying to oil rigs outside the coast of Louisiana

Ron Hill was also a good friend of Christer "Monstret" Eriksson.

One of few photos I have of Erik.. and my very fast Clerici..

It was usually about this time of the year that Eric would show up from Sweden. He worked part time for Morgan Craft Boats, who just closed their doors last month after fifty years in the Mercury business.

Bob at Morgan Craft always joked that he weighed Eric when he came to work and when he went home at nght...I never really believed that Eric would take anything without Bob knowing about it, or he'd never hire him year after year.

I'm not sure how many winters Erik came to California, but we usually stuffed his baggage with props when he headed back to Sweden.

He never failed to brag about the Great Lars Strom, his GOOD FRIEND.

At least once, seems maybe twice, Erick worked the LA Boat Show for us. He would never take any money for working, said he'd get even with me on props, and he probably did. I remember him having a big cell phone about the size of a 12 volt battery....It worked pretty well, but weighed a ton..

I never like the idea of him becoming a helicopter pilot,as my dad often said, "Flying was for the birds.." But Eric seemed to love those thinks. His demise, wasn't his fault you told me. I miss the guy....He seems so full fo life.....it gives me good feeling to think about him...

Thanks for posting the picture of him!!!

ADD: His English wasn't too well but while working boat shows it kept us from being bored!

Lars Strom
01-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks Ron..nice comments and we all miss the very colorful Christer "Monstret" Eriksson..

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I have done some of my Racing Stories on Facebook and comments like this below from a
French Power Boat Racer makes it so much more fun..
Thank you Antoine Sire.. and a picture of your SE class boat..

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
..from Facebook today..

Thanks Lasse,

Nice pictures, great times, so much fun, so much danger for such an uncertain glory.
You were the king of the 75 Stinger !
When I was 16 you were one of my idols. I built paper models of the boats of that time : Clerici, Burgess, Cougars...
Then at 17 I began to race in the national SEN class, I had no money, just found sponsors. Although sometimes a bit too cautious to be really fast, my best achievements were SE French Champion in 1984 and 2nd overall at the Rouen 24 hours with a 2.4 Mercury V6 in 1990.
I also came 5th in OE at the Paris 6 hours in 1981 teaming with Claudine Corchia. While my biggest passion has always been motor racing, I cherish this boating period, when I was given a chance to approach such briliant people as Cees Van der Velden, Renato Molinari, John Hill.
At that time we didn't know each other and you were a thousand times better driver than I was, but I am happy that we are finally friend on facebook.
Now I do some motor racing and was lucky enough to finish 4th in the Belgian Funcup Championship in 2010.

Antoine Sire

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

TBuck2003
01-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Lars great stuff on the three cylinder OMC's, and European racing in general. I used to race SE in the States, and get a real kick from seeing all of your old photos. The early Mod 50's could use the cowling from the Stingers/Hustlers because there was room for the angle cut 8 petal front half in the pan. The later straight cut 10 petal front half could not fit under that pan cowl combo because of the pan angling up at the front.Recently bought/restored a 1976 Evinrude "S" model for my boy to put on a 13ft. vee bottom. It was originally built for SE boats with that model year coming with the factory power trim to mount in the wet well of a SE Tunnel. I will try to attach some photos...Thanks for all the good info.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx283/TBuck2003/Matts%20Allison%20Project/MotorhungandreadyforWATER018.jpg

Lars Strom
01-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi Todd and Thank you..

I think the 1976...75hp short shaft was the best standard engine of them all..

Well..all the OMC 3 cylinders where great engines..including the OE/F-3/Mod 50..

I can see your factory powertrim at the picture..yellow arrow..

Next picure show the modified front half in the pan on my F-3 powerhead .
Picture from the pit Paris 6 hour race
Red arrow..

Please post some more picture..

Lars

TBuck2003
01-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Lars was that to fit the Straight Cut 10 petal set up front half ??? I believe that would be the only way to make that work. The shift shaft mechanism cleared underneath powerhead??? Thanks for the pic.Here is a better pic of the set up. Because of the hole thru transom, we welded "Ears" on the side of bracket to brace transom. A lot of custom work to get this to fit in a splash well of a Vee, was definitely intended for the SE Boats!!!
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx283/TBuck2003/Matts%20Allison%20Project/MotorhungandreadyforWATER001.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx283/TBuck2003/Matts%20Allison%20Project/TrimBracketinstall003.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx283/TBuck2003/Matts%20Allison%20Project/TrimBracketinstall005.jpg
The two holes in bottom of bracket now are the drain for splashwell...

Lars Strom
01-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi again Todd,

The F-3/OE/Mod 50 engine on the picture uses the FT-19S powerhead.
On the next generation F-3/OE powerhead with straight intake manifold..front half of the block used a modified lower pan as the picture from Paris 6 hours show.
A much better block with pressed in sleeves..

Remember a F-3/OE/Mod 50 don't use a shift shaft..

TBuck2003
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Lars how much better was the straight front half versus the angle if I may ask??? I get the difference now with the later model Mod 50's and the cowl pan variance. My favorite motor of all time HANDS DOWN!!! Thanks for the info...

Todd

Lars Strom
01-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Todd,

Well..there was FT-19S powerheads with both straight half and angle..for the racing mid/section but you could not tell any difference in speed..

It was the new block with the pressed in special steel sleeves..better porting that made a big horse power increase..and they all had the angle half.

If I remember right Willy Perman tested them in secret for Paul Kalb late 1976..
I used that type of powerhead in OE for the first time 1979..

That powerhead was never homologated for SE..
but the FT-19S was..as you know.

Lars

Lars Strom
01-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Todd,

Here is the Evinrude F-3 engine we used in the late eighty's.
A completely different powerhead..
The photo is from 1990..and my friend Christer Melin works
on the engine for The Champs Boat Racing Team..
(Me and my brother Lennarts Team..)
You can also see the OMC support truck..

Boat..Burgess/Remonten/Evinrude F-3

Lars Strom
03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
A few more pictures from 1977..and my Molinari-Volvo Penta/Konig
F-3/OE boat..

A friend of mine found them in the Swedish Power Boat Federations
basement.

Lars Strom
03-22-2011, 06:07 PM
My SE Clerici-Evinrude boat 1974.
Not sure where this picture is taken..but somewhere in Sweden the same year.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Good pics Lars. Glad your friend found them. In the first one on the inside is a guy on an Evinrude powered boat concentrating on you while you seemed intense on the lane straight ahead. What was he trying to pick up? Looks like he was trying to read you and anticipate a move you might make coming up quickly. Do you remember?

Lars Strom
03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
It looks like that is my friend Peter Matsson, and he purshased my SE class Clerici from the year before.
I think he is trying to stay out of my way when I lap him.

The picture is from a 1 hour race outside Stockholm called Waxholm..

I have a few more photos..and I know you are going to love them Wayne..
The one and only.. Dieter Konig is with me for the Paris 6 hour race 1977..

Lars Strom
03-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Believe it or not, but I raced Paris 6 Hours with a Konig..... and was leading with many laps after
4 hours, when I hit something and sank.... not the engine this time.
We used 50/50 Gasoline/Methanol and it did not take away to many horsepower.

This is fun..pictures from the pit.. Paris 6 Hours 1977..Dieter Konig made me a special engine for this race and I asked Joachim Mareth to be my co-pilot.

You can see Dieter..(red arrow) and Joachim (blue arrow)..

Well my racing suit looks to big..the other one was damaged in a crash a few weeks before the Paris 6 Hour race..

Master Oil Racing Team
03-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes Lars. Great Photo. I recognize Joachim instantly and of course Dieter. I am wondering if that might be Peter Konig on your boat. It looks a lot like him, but I thought Peter's hair was curly. And the guy behind your boat with the sunglasses and mustache looks familiar. Do you know who he is? Looking forward to the other pics.

Lars Strom
03-24-2011, 03:52 AM
More from the pit..Paris 6 hours 1977.
To the left of me.. is Bertil Wik (white arrow) and to the right..Dieter Konig (red arrow)..

Lars Strom
03-24-2011, 05:03 PM
First test of the new Molinari F-3 ..1977..Volvo Penta Outboards in Uppsala, Sweden was late with the Volvo Penta Logo ..I could not wait..
Testing went very well.

Lars Strom
03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
My 1981 ..AKAI-Burgess/Evinrude CC.. Formula 3 boat.

I think this is from early 1982..and the Press meeting SVERA organized every spring.

Used this boat for the first few races 1982..sold it after a race in North Italy and went
to Burgess in UK to pick up the new white F-3 Burgess.. just in time for the Bristol race same year.

This .. AKAI-Burgess/Evinrude CC..gave me my first Aspen F-3 World Champion Title..

Thanks David Burgess..

Lars Strom
03-25-2011, 06:16 PM
My.. Diamanthuset-Burgess-Evinrude CC

This photo makes me smile again.

Won the race.. The Party with my friends that made the win possible turned out pretty crazy..

I stll remember what OMC´s..Ric McChesney and Jim Nerstrom did..
Easy to smile now..but not 6 a clock in the morning..the day after.

Very good memories..

Thank you

mintominto
03-28-2011, 03:56 AM
Great photos Lars.

Lars Strom
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Thank you mintominto.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I was asked by OMC to try to make this engine work in the SD class.
There was one big success..the Stockholm Grand Prix 1978..
I grabed the overall win...Well the race was one hour and most SE/OE boats
broke down..

As always..you win on the last lap..not the first..

This was a fun experiment and a way for me to get back to race for OMC again after one year with Volvo Penta/Konig (1977 )

Lars Strom
03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
It was the new 1978 production Evinrude 55 hp 2 cyl. 737cc..(replaced to old 50 Evinrude)..Short shaft with the nitro gearecase and race powertrim we built.

Raced Stockholm GP and one more race..1978..The Evinrude 55 could not keep up with the stronger production Mariner 60hp..

PS..Picture of the engine..Well this is 20 inch shaft..I used the 15..

Lars Strom
03-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Stockholm Grand Prix 1983..The turn close to Västerbron..

This race was downtown Stockholm and had over 150,000 spectators

Boat number 8 is mine.

Lars Strom
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
In a racing incident in the second heat I lost my boat cowling..
My good friend Alan Nimmo from GB let me use his Molinari cowling..
He had an engine problem..

Well..the Molinari cowling did not fit perfect..but duct tape as always fixed that problem..no time to change race number..but the officials know that boat 8 was now boat 15

Lars Strom
03-29-2011, 06:08 PM
18 drivers

Mark Poole
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Those early V-8's were tall and enormous. Surely the boats handled much better when OMC came out with the newer version, which put the powerhead like 8 inches lower with a redesigned mid section. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't these early V-8's have 8 two barrel carburetors?

Lars Strom
03-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Those early V-8's were tall and enormous. Surely the boats handled much better when OMC came out with the newer version, which put the powerhead like 8 inches lower with a redesigned mid section. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't these early V-8's have 8 two barrel carburetors?

Hi Mark Poole,

Picture one is the first generation race V-8 powerhead with carburators..
Second picture is the next generation with shorter mid section and fuel injection..

Lars Strom
03-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Here is a good photo from the back of my Burgess F1-V8 boat.
Yes..the big heavy engine is way up in the air..

I have a TV reporter onboard filming.. the day before Stockholm GP 1983

Powerabout
03-31-2011, 12:33 AM
2nd effort made twin plug heads
did they ever make it to F1?
EDIT
Yes they did on the 3.0ltr EFI V8

Lars Strom
03-31-2011, 08:47 AM
2nd effort made twin plug heads
did they ever make it to F1?

All F-1 V8 drivers got the engines from Gary and Second Effort from the middle of the 1983 season.
I never used twin plug heads..maybe in the US F1-V8 tour 1986 and up..

Lars Strom
04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
In a racing incident in the second heat I lost my boat cowling..
My good friend Alan Nimmo from GB let me use his Molinari cowling..
He had an engine problem..

Well..the Molinari cowling did not fit perfect..but duct tape as always fixed that problem..no time to change race number..but the officials know that boat 8 was now boat 15

Last minute work to fit the cowling..
One of the OMC technicians are helping to..

Lars Strom
04-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Cees Van Der Velden and Roger Jenkins..the famous building.. "Statshuset".. in the background..

Lars Strom
04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Cees Van Der Velden, NL.. Velden boat.. (#1) and Andy Bullen, GB..Burgess boat.. (# 16)

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Great photos Lars. Brings back memories of some great racers from those days. I was fortunate to meet Cees at Karlshaven on the Weser River, and later party into the night with him and a bunch of others at Linz on the Danube, And also meet and get some photos of Roger Jenkins at Berlin at a reace when you snuck into Dieters to pick up your Volvo Konig motor then headed north with your boat to rig it up and test for a very successful year.

Lars Strom
04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
"The Italian Mastro".....Renato Molinari is resting at the rear of his Martini/ Molinari-Evinrude boat before the race..

Lars Strom
04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Great photos Lars..... when you snuck into Dieters to pick up your Volvo Konig motor then headed north with your boat to rig it up and test for a very successful year.

Thanks Wayne..and your memory is very good..
--------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend Rulle was the flagman..dressed as a checkered flag..
Looks like Rick Frost get the flag here..

Lars Strom
04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Roger Jenkins, UK..Burgess/Carlsberg-Evinrude F1-V8

Lars Strom
04-07-2011, 05:36 PM
# 14 is Nicola Mora, Italy and me..Apen #8 is now boat #15..

Lars Strom
04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
The .."Slussen" turn..

Lars Strom
04-07-2011, 05:58 PM
The F-1 V8 series Rescue Craft..made possible by sponsorship from OMC Sea Drive and Carlsberg beer..

Lars Strom
04-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Ron Hill
04-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks Lars.....Your posts are really fun. What happened to the 80's?? Huh???

What do you think would have happened if they ran the V-8 on a hydro? Seems hydros skid in the corners, racing may have been more interesting. The problem with the V-8 circuit was that no one realized how many would die driving these things. And two, the races were BORING....There was little or no passing....

Anyway, love your posts......I missed Eric at the Fred Hall Boat Show..he was fun to work with.......His spirit was with me though!

Lars Strom
04-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Yes Ron..sadly there was lots of drivers losing their life in boat racing without
safety cockpits back then..
That was the only reason I gave up my F1-V8 ride to Bertil Wik 1985.

Well.. lots of passing in the series (check the video above)..just hard to pass # 18 Renato Molinari..:):)

Lars Strom
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
For me a fun photo..the last race in my own Burgess Evinrude V-8.
The sponsor was...Lasse Ström Marin.. the worlds largest Evinrude dealer..:)

Drove the Belgium GP a few weeks later in a brand new Velden boat with a safety cockpit..
No picture...get..

Lars Strom
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
To all my American friends reading here.. You have to take the time to watch this video..then you know why Swedes are the way we are.. :):):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHniCEHY7I&feature=player_embedded

Jeff Lytle
04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
BwaHaHahahahaha! :D

Lars Strom
04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Burgess Evinrude F1- V-8.
The sponsor was...Lasse Ström Marin.. the worlds largest Evinrude dealer..:)

Lars Strom
04-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Interesting.. I but this picture on FB and here is the response..:)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty nice... a young boy from England gave me this little copy of my Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude..
made by his Dad..
Thank you..I still have it..
--------------------------------------------------------
Jason Mantripp... it looks like it was made by my best mates dad sean barnard i will ask him today.
---------------------------------------------------------
Sean Barnard ....God that's old!.. I remember when that was made by my dad! He was wondering if you still had the boat! And you have, nice too see it and looks in good order too! I only have a few boats left!!
Thanks
------------------------------------------------------------
Lars Strom.... See..that made my day Sean..I am not sure where you gave me the boat..and Thank you.

Powerabout
04-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Lars

All the photos are long shaft V8's.
Did you ever race with the later very short shaft version?

Lars Strom
04-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Lars

All the photos are long shaft V8's.
Did you ever race with the later very short shaft version?

Yes..in a few race 1985...No speed change..but that powerhead had fuel injection..and the boat handle little better.

Stockholm GP Race video

mintominto
05-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Hi Lars,

Found this when looking through some of my old stuff, thought you may be able to elaborate a little.

Lars Strom
05-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Hehe Mintominto...:):)

Oooo...yes I remember that weekend..

Bo Nilsson did a great race and won the SE Nordic Championship 1976.
I know that one day someone was going to beat me in the SE class and I am glad my best friend Bo was the one..

More from Swedish media below about Bo winning the Nordic SE Championship 1976
(Well..more that I was losing it...:):))

Bo and me...(Bo has the Gold)..and some text in Swedish..

PS
Do you have more...Bo and I raced Paris 6 hours together in a factory
OE boat later same year..

mintominto
05-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the insight Lars,

If memory serves me right I may have a couple more articles on some of the old Paris stuff etc, will have a dig.

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Please do..Paris 6 hour stuff is always fun...

Mark75H
05-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, please

Lars Strom
06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
From the F1-V8 race in Drammen, Norway 1982.

"Mouse" from OMC is doing service work on the JPS boats..

Lars Strom
06-13-2011, 07:26 PM

Bob Spalding
Tom Percival
Ettore Cagnani
Roger Jenkins

Lars Strom
06-13-2011, 07:34 PM
From the F1-V8 race in Stockholm, Sweden 1984

Tom Percival..# 10..His sponsor in Stockholm was Internationell Travel Card.. ITC..
The race before Stockholm, same year was Paris.
Tom and I had the same sponsor there.. ITC..

Stockholm GP was one of the last races Tom drove before the bad crash in Liege, Belgium where he lost his life..

Lars Strom
06-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Well..not sure about this..the Molinari boat with #191 and the US flag in the front
could/should be Jimbo McConnell..but does not look like Jimbos helmet..???

Lars Strom
06-14-2011, 05:51 AM
Small World today...!!!

Will Parker from Australia sent me a few pictures of his Formula 3 engine he race "down under"..
Well..I remember those marks OMC did on our powerheads..:):)

Yes..one of my old powerheads..

Lars Strom
06-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Entry list from Nottingham, England 1981..OE/F-3

Very good memories..check pictures of my AKAI-Burgess-EvinrudeCC
Yes..I won the race..:):)

Allen J. Lang
06-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Lars, that is a rough way to take a bath, or were you just showing off what the boat can do? LOL !!!! :D

Lars Strom
06-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Jepp..Allen..It was hot at the Holme Pierre Point, row Boat Stadium in Nottingham that day and I needed to cool down..;);)

Lars Strom
06-16-2011, 06:00 AM
More interesting racing history from the row boat stadium in Nottingham..

Gina Campbell (daughter of Donald Cambell) drove a Hodges/Evinrude F1-V8 boat to a female World Record 122,85 MPH at the Holme Pierre Point, Nottingham row boat stadium 1984.

Maybe we need more info about this from Jackie Wilson..

Lars Strom
07-05-2011, 06:34 PM
This is the Clerici boat Roger Jenkins raced in 1973.
Roger was the OMC factory driver and when I won the race..the door slowly open up for me..
Great memories..

After a few years in the Sport, a big possibility opened up in
the winter 1972/73.
Hans Holmen who worked for Evinrude Sweden called me and said that Huzells and Evinrude
has picked me and one other Swede to get the new Evinrude 65 SS, that was designed
to be a winner in the SE class.

One condition, I have to buy a new SE Cat from Italy. There was two choices, Abbate or Clerici and I picked
Clerici without really a good reason.

We where late to order, but Clerici promise to have the boat ready in June that summer, but that was OK
because OMC was late with the new 65 SS also.

I friend of mine lent me and older Schultze cat and I used my stock Evinrude 65 hp.
At the Swedish Championship in Torsby, Varmland, I ended up around fifth.

Me and my dad Roland took the Coffee delivery truck and headed to Cremona, Italy with a big bag full of
Lire (Italian Cash) to pick up the new very good looking cat.

Back to Sweden to install the brand new 65 SS Evinrude, that had just arrived.

There was one big problem, this engine was using left hand props, and there was not many around.
I found one 2 blade prop used for the Mercury BP's, but not very fast at testing.

The big Race was the European Championship in Lappenranta Finland and OMC's Racing Boss
Jim Wagner, had a lay over in Stockholm on his way to Finland and I got a chance to test factory driver
Roger Jenkins propellers and my boat was flying.

This was a 3 bladed cleaver left hand rotation and Jim Wagner promise me that if I showed up in Finland he was
going to let me use Rogers spare prop.

Me, Holmen and friend Curre took the ferry to Finland and when we arrived at the race there was 45 boats
with Mercury, Carniti, Konigs, Evinrude and Johnson engines, but now Jenkins refused to let me borrow any
of his props.

I was very disappointed and was walking around in the pit, when I ran in to Tor Smith Ingebrittsen from
Norway.
He had an older home built boat, and he showed me his prop that looked like the one Jenkins used.
We made a deal and exchanged props with a handshake.

There was no time for testing and when they dropped the green flag I was flying through the field and after a few
laps I lead the race and pulled away.
I won the heat with half a lap, and everybody went crazy regarding my prop.
Many drivers offered my new friend from Norway lots of money for his prop, that he lent me but he was cool and said it belongs to Lars.
Next heat the Italian drivers was trying to run me over in the start, and later pushed me up on one of the
turning buoys and I was disqualified and had some damage to the boat but we fixed that overnight.

I do not remember the third heat, but I had to win the last one, and I did.

I was now declared the winner and the new European Champion, and Jim Wagner was forced to come over to my boat
and congratulate me.

Roger Jenkins went strait to the Airport and Wales, and Lars and his friends had the biggest after race
party they have ever seen in Lappenranta.

This was the beginning of my professional boat racing carrier and my Outboard Business success.

EDIT...This is Tor Smith Ingebrittsen..from Norway.
He let me use his special race- propeller in Lappenranta, Finland..to Win..!!
Thanks again Tor Smith..

The second picture is me just after the race..and than my Clerici/Evinrude SS # 99 boat

mintominto
07-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Found a Paris article from 1978, got more to try and scan when time allows.

Lars Strom
07-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks mintominto..please look for more..!!

This is the "look" of the F1-OZ boat Angelo Vassena and I finished fourth with in Paris 1978.
We drove for Team Saffa..Well.. owned by Renato Molinari.

(..I do not have a picture of our boat..)

Lars Strom
08-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Today I received this e-mail from Lappeenranta, Finland including pictures..
I am looking at the pictures and get tears in my eyes..
Thank you very much Anssi..

Hei Lasse!
This is some pictures from Lappeenranta Saimaa race 1973.
You remember Lappeenranta race well? You winn there 1973. I remember you.
I was 1973, 9 year, little boy. I was born 1964.

-Anssi Haverinen-
Lappeenranta
Finland

I think the last picture is me leading the race.

Roger Jenkins in boat # 56
Bo Nilsson in boat #88

After a few years in the Sport, a big possibility opened up in
the winter 1972/73.
Hans Holmen who worked for Evinrude Sweden called me and said that Huzells and Evinrude
has picked me and one other Swede to get the new Evinrude 65 SS, that was designed
to be a winner in the SE class.

One condition, I have to buy a new SE Cat from Italy. There was two choices, Abbate or Clerici and I picked
Clerici without really a good reason.

We where late to order, but Clerici promise to have the boat ready in June that summer, but that was OK
because OMC was late with the new 65 SS also.

I friend of mine lent me and older Schultze cat and I used my stock Evinrude 65 hp.
At the Swedish Championship in Torsby, Varmland, I ended up around fifth.

Me and my dad Roland took the Coffee delivery truck and headed to Cremona, Italy with a big bag full of
Lire (Italian Cash) to pick up the new very good looking cat.

Back to Sweden to install the brand new 65 SS Evinrude, that had just arrived.

There was one big problem, this engine was using left hand props, and there was not many around.
I found one 2 blade prop used for the Mercury BP's, but not very fast at testing.

The big Race was the European Championship in Lappenranta Finland and OMC's Racing Boss
Jim Wagner, had a lay over in Stockholm on his way to Finland and I got a chance to test factory driver
Roger Jenkins propellers and my boat was flying.

This was a 3 bladed cleaver left hand rotation and Jim Wagner promise me that if I showed up in Finland he was
going to let me use Rogers spare prop.

Me, Holmen and friend Curre took the ferry to Finland and when we arrived at the race there was 45 boats
with Mercury, Carniti, Konigs, Evinrude and Johnson engines, but now Jenkins refused to let me borrow any
of his props.

I was very disappointed and was walking around in the pit, when I ran in to Tor Smith Ingebrittsen from
Norway.
He had an older home built boat, and he showed me his prop that looked like the one Jenkins used.
We made a deal and exchanged props with a handshake.

There was no time for testing and when they dropped the green flag I was flying through the field and after a few
laps I lead the race and pulled away.
I won the heat with half a lap, and everybody went crazy regarding my prop.
Many drivers offered my new friend from Norway lots of money for his prop, that he lent me but he was cool and said it belongs to Lars.
Next heat the Italian drivers was trying to run me over in the start, and later pushed me up on one of the
turning buoys and I was disqualified and had some damage to the boat but we fixed that overnight.

I do not remember the third heat, but I had to win the last one, and I did.

I was now declared the winner and the new European Champion, and Jim Wagner was forced to come over to my boat
and congratulate me.

Roger Jenkins went strait to the Airport and Wales, and Lars and his friends had the biggest after race
party they have ever seen in Lappenranta.

This was the beginning of my professional boat racing carrier and my Outboard Business success.

EDIT...This is Tor Smith Ingebrittsen..from Norway.
He let me use his special race- propeller in Lappenranta, Finland..to Win..!!
Thanks again Tor Smith..

The second picture is me just after the race..and than my Clerici/Evinrude SS # 99 boat

Mark75H
08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Keep this stuff coming Lars, I really enjoy it

Lars Strom
08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you Sam..and all others clicking in here to read about my boat racing from long time ago..

I have spent time looking at this picture and pretty sure the red arrow is pointing at my boat..

The #88.. my friend Bo Nilsson with his Merc/Schultze just behind..

#56..Roger Jenkins to the right..yellow arrow.

Lars Strom
09-19-2011, 08:30 AM
It is exactly 30 years ago I won the final race in the Aspen World F 3 series.
Saturday afternoon September 19 1981 in Holland I could call myself a F-3 World Champ..!!

I called home to Sweden to tell my family and friends..
They had news for me to..

My son Richard was born the same day...
He also is a member here at BRF..

A picture of Richard from many years ago..pit pass Holland and my AKAI/Burgess/Evinrude CC

dave hensel
09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
lars can you post your thoughts on omc going out. great tread!

Lars Strom
09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Ron Hill wrote:

Hey Lars...Tell us how you made MILLIONS OF U.S. DOLLARS while living in Sweden.....(LEGALLY)!!!!///

Ha, ha Ron..,:)

I am getting to that, but it started 1982 and went on for four years.

My good relationship as a dealer and my succesful Racing with OMC made this re/export to the
USA possible.

Many thousands of outboards was shipped back to the USA, and it was legal,
but not legal if you read the stickers OMC put on the Evinrude boxes sent
to Europe.

It is a long and interesting story but sensative, many people was upset for
some time and when I get to year 1982 of the Racing stories I will include
that.

Hi Dave,

If you mean my take on OMC going out of business..??

Started a story on a Swedish forum about just that..
I call the thread..

"From first in outboards and biggest in the world to bankruptcy"..

That is a long "thing" to do and maybe some people are going to be upset if they read my take..

I can tell you that David D. Jones hired me late 1998 to do some work overseas to try to save OMC.
I made a 6 or 7 page plan after lots of research and presented to the OMC management..but OMC was already out of money early 1999.
On top of that I did not like the people that had invested in OMC..
Again..need to be little careful about that..but here is a copy of a letter from David D. Jones. The OMC President and CEO.
Jepp..I parked my American Eagle in front of the building at Sea Horse Drive under our visit.

Ron Hill
09-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Lara, you have quite a following here on BRF. I'm sure your readers are like me. We'd love to hear your store about OMC.

Rotary John
09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm sure Lars has a lot more detail, but when Stang ran the company in the 70's, they made record profits and sales. When the bean counters took over, it went down hill and never recovered.:confused:

dave hensel
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
didnt mean to put you on the spot. in your tread a while back i thought you said you would give your opinion on the subject. but maybe this is not the place. love the storys & the pics wish more racers would do this.

Lars Strom
09-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Here is some I wrote on Jackie Wilsons thread..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The OMC pat to bankruptcy started already in the mid seventies by making enormous
mistakes in Europe.

I remember when OMC told the world 1986 they made the biggest deal in the history of the Marine business..signing a contract to deliver all the stern drive power to Bayliner for
3 years..(87-88-89).

Well.. some time later Brunswick told the world they made the biggest Marine business deal..
The purchase of the Bayliner factory and later Sea Ray..
OMC had the possibility to do that before Brunswick but did not at that time, see the need for that..

Many poor decisions where made at the Headquarter in Waukegan.
They hired a President from the washing machine business and he wasted many like an old washing machine used water..

Poor quality and not keeping up with Yamaha was another reason..
In many ways Brunswick was smarter and made better decisions.

I told OMC for many years ago to team up with Merc to fight the Japs..
Not even on the map..
...instead
Merc signed up with Yamaha to fight OMC..
and maybe that is Mercury's biggest mistake ever..Time will tell..
Now Yamaha is slowly taking over the outboard business.
In Europe and the rest of the world ...Yamaha has already done that..

Penske was so close to purchase OMC but Soros/Green Marine and other investors could not agree about a deal..

I was asked by David Jones (the OMC - President) 1998 to come up with something to save the Northern Europe market..
Was hired as a consultant and did lots of work..but no money to do what needed to be done..

I still love the outboard business..but in a way I am glad I left some years ago..

Hi again,

Well, 1977 was a year when OMC Racing had the first setback from Japanese outboards slowly taking over
in Europe.

The year before, OMC told all the distributors in most countries in Europe that OMC is going to
take over.

For example, Evinrude in Sweden was imported by Huzells, and I had a very good relationship with Huzells
and they gave me lots of money to race Evinrude Outboards.
Johnson had AGB in Sweden and they where good for drivers using Johnson outboards.

This is in my opinion the first really big mistake OMC made, and was the start for lots of bad mistakes,
that sadly put the them out of business later, as we all know.

Huzells owner Bill Huzell was really upset with OMC taking his business away after 10 years of hard work to distribute
Evinrude in Sweden, so he went to Japan and took over Suzuki outboards for Sweden.
His old Evinrude dealers in Sweden liked Billy, and they all signed up to have Suzuki as a second
brand.

AGB did the same thing, and grabbed the Mariner Brand for Sweden.

I can still not understand that OMC did not think better, Billy Huzell was a rich smart business man and his
top priority was to make Suzuki Outboards very strong in Sweden now, and that's how the price war
started in Europe.

Remember, OMC did the same thing in most countries overseas.

I was loyal OMC, and stayed as an exclusive Evinrude dealer, but 90 % of the Evinrude dealers
was now Evinrude/Suzuki and on the Johnson side Johnson/Mariner.

Back to Racing,

1977 was now the first year Evinrude/Johnson was distributed in Sweden by OMC Sweden and the policy
was, NO RACING and everything had to go true Paul Kalb at OMC's European headquarter in Brugge, Belgium,
and his budget was cut in half.

My relationship with Paul Kalb (Racing boss Europe) was not so good, he had his favorite drivers and I always won over them.
1977 was also the year when Molinari started Racing for OMC, but Renatos deal was with OMC USA,
not Belgium.

I had a brand new Mod 50/F3 Molinari Boat on order and an Evinrude engine for that boat, but after a meeting
with the BIG man at Volvo Penta, Sweden we made a deal and I got my biggest check ever (at that time) to
Race Volvo Penta/Konig in Mod 50/F3 1977.

I went to Como, to pick up my new boat, and to Clerici to pick up a second boat if the Molinari Boat
did not work with the Volvo.

Direct to Dieter Konig, West Berlin to install engines and after that Uppsala, Sweden where
the Volvo Penta outboard factory was located, and Gert Lowisin was living next door.
My deal with Volvo was to have Gert Lowisin 24/7 to help me that year in racing, and Gert was a very
good man to have on your side.

This was a very interesting year for me in Racing, and I raced more or less every weekend somewhere
in Europe, and when "that thing" on the transom stayed together I Won, but most of the times it came a part.

Believe it or not, but I raced Paris 6 hours with a Konig..... and was leading with many laps after
4 hours, when I hit something and sank.... not the engine this time.
We used 50/50 Gasoline/Methanol and it did not take away to many horsepower.

The Sprint World Champion Ship OE that year was in Brodenbach, and OMC was not very happy
with Lars racing a Volvo and Jenkins Racing a Archimedes. (Same thing)

Michael Werner was the home favorite with Mercury's secret OE engine with the EFI box.

OMC at that time did not have the speed, and where using the "Gas in a bottle" ( laughing gas), to make it better,
but the officials of the Race said it was not legal, so OMC never raced and filed a protest.

I was fighting hard with Werner and won one heat, he the next etc. and it was down to the final heat
I had to win on a better time and I did, but then the Race officials said that my heat was 2/10 of a second
slower than Werner's so he was now the World Champ. (at that time they used stop watches)

I don't now if it was right or wrong, but a week later UIM made a decision about the OMC protest and the Race
was not a official World Championship Race anymore.

There is many stories about my year with Volvo/Konig and I can go back to that later.
When it comes to money, it was a very good year but I did not get the Trophy's I wanted so after Paris
6 Hours I told Volvo that, I am out.

Volvo did not have a problem with that and late 1978, the Volvo Penta outboards
was history.

Not many people know that, but Volvo Penta Outboards was the first one the Japanese Outboards
put out of business.

Well, maybe they killed them self with poorly designed production outboards.....

One more thing,

My real name is Lars Strom, in Sweden your nick name for Lars is Lasse, but over here Lassie is a dog,
so my name is now Lars.....

Sorry, one more thing.

I am going to stick with my plan to tell my Racing Story's year by year, that is the only way to remember
correct, so next time I am back to Lappenranta, Finland 1973.

Lars Strom
09-19-2011, 06:51 PM
My racing and selling outboards had a big connection..
No racing without selling outboards..and no outboard sales without racing..:)

This is a interesting letter..
1980 OMC slowly started to understand that they done the wrong thing in Europe by taking over the distributorship in every country.
Billy Huzell was now selling lots of Suzuki outboards instead of Evinrude.
So I got a visit by Robert F. Wallace from OMC in July of 1980

This was also the start for OMC to cut prices in Europe..specially in Sweden to keep the market shares.

Well..My favorite President.. Ronald Reagan came to power and made the dollar really strong..
I was paying way less dealer net for Evinrude in Sweden than US dealers..
(In Swedish currency)
That is how my export back to US started in 1982..

My little outboard business in Stockholm find a way to sell over 10,000 large OMC outboards back to the US over a few years..
Can not give all the details but the engines was sold in California and Florida.
This made many US dealers mad/angry at OMC..and lots of fun and interesting things happen..
We did not stop with only OMC..lots of Mariner outboards also find the way back to the US..

Powerabout
09-20-2011, 06:33 AM
I remember sitting by and watching both Merc and OMC hand the business to the Japs

To Merc and OMC in 70's and 80's ' how about a jet ski'
answer, "No they are too noisy and will be banned everywhere in the world soon"

To Merc and OMC how about a full shift left hand gearbox
Answer, "no demand, cant be done"

To Merc and OMC "how about a decent slim control box with twin trim in one handle"

Can remember what they said about that

Yam outsmarted them by going propshaft rated early so every 115 Yam went better then every Merc OMC 115 etc...how simple was that!

Then OMC made the Sea drive which I did and still think was fantastic, lots of clever design in those.
Came to install my first pair and found out you had a bore a hole for the trim pump so essentially the engine height is fixed..you dumb bastards.....

Answer "we gave the product to the sterndrive department to develop"

I dont think the Japs were smarter they obviously just employed disgruntled OMC and Merc staff OR listened to their customers

Back to you Lars

PS Renault owns a big chunk of Nissan so why not an outboard brand doing the same..whoops they overheard me, Yamaha owns a chunk of Selva

Lars Strom
09-20-2011, 07:58 AM
I know that lots of people don't think the OMC problem started in Europe..
and here is my take on that...

When OMC more or less gave Europe to the Japs 1977..and later started the price war
overseas to keep the market shares..it back fired here in the US.

Al the "gray market" engines shipped back to CA and FL.. made lots of US dealers upset with the OMC price policy..
OMC forgot that there customer was the dealer..not the final/end user.

I remember Pompano Beach Marine Center "PBMC" for many years was a big
exclusive Johnson dealer..

The low price "gray market" OMC from Europe sold by Scan Marine in South Florida made the owner of PBMC (his name is Johnson and we was later neighbors in Pompano Beach) so mad he started to sell Yamaha.
Mr. Johnson was now selling lots of Yamaha on the Grady White boats and dropped
Johnson outboards..and are still today Yamaha only..

Many, many more old OMC exclusive US dealers did the same thing as PBMC.
OMC slowly lost all the good dealers..and without good dealers a factory goes down..

Jepp..thats me and Carina sitting in the car outside Scan Marine (the gray market head quarter) at Federal Highway, Pompano Beach 1986..:)

swmjake
09-20-2011, 02:55 PM
So Lars - sounds like you have some of the same thoughts about what happened to OMC that I do. I went to test at OMC in the early 80's and had access to engineering. I saw over 10 small Honda motors in the engineering warehouse. I was very familiar with them since my dad had been a dealer for several years. Great little motors and they ran almost as well as the current 4-Stroke engines. I expected that OMC was going to head that direction and years later was surprised that they still had no 4-Stroke engines. When I bothered to aquire about it - I was told that the dictate from the top was the OMC was committed to the 2-stroke engine and only the 2-stroke engine. There was that "Head in the sand" mentality along with the other items you mentioned and the list goes on.

That said - whom would you blame most of OMC's demise on? - Just one name.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-20-2011, 03:00 PM
So Lars - sounds like you have some of the same thoughts about what happened to OMC that I do. I went to test at OMC in the early 80's and had access to engineering. I saw over 10 small Honda motors in the engineering warehouse. I was very familiar with them since my dad had been a dealer for several years. Great little motors and they ran almost as well as the current 4-Stroke engines. I expected that OMC was going to head that direction and years later was surprised that they still had no 4-Stroke engines. When I bothered to aquire about it - I was told that the dictate from the top was the OMC was committed to the 2-stroke engine and only the 2-stroke engine. There was that "Head in the sand" mentality along with the other items you mentioned and the list goes on.

Jim Chapman

swmjake
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
He was not at OMC when most of the early mistakes were made. And if anything it would be whomever hired him and gave him the key's and ignored the obvious - Right! Like Lars said they hired an appliance guy to run an outboard company.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-20-2011, 03:12 PM
He was not at OMC when most of the early mistakes were made. And if anything it would be whomever hired him and gave him the key's and ignored the obvious - Right! Like Lars said they hired an appliance guy to run an outboard company.

Jake,

Oh yes he was. He came in as President from an auto manufacturing company,not an appliance company, but can't remember which. Strang was still Chairman. Chapman was instrumental in having the board slide Strang out & then Chapman initiated the move to but all those loser boat companies & sold off Cushman & Lawn-Boy to get some resources to finance the boat Company purchases.

I know well as I was with Lawn-Boy

swmjake
09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Your right about Chapman being at OMC - I was thinking of Hank Bowman (Appliance Guy). Chapman was not named President however until the Mid 80's - so my main point stands.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Your right about Chapman being at OMC - I was thinking of Hank Bowman (Appliance Guy). Chapman was not named President however until the Mid 80's - so my main point stands.

That's correct, but the problems existed during Chapman's rein & they brought in Bowman who had no clue what do do after the mess Chapman left.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree with Sam and Ron. This is very interesting stuff. Keep it coming. Not only are there some good inside stories being presented, but the documents and photos really make this one of the best threads on BRF.:cool:

Lars Strom
09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks Wayne..

So Lars - sounds like you have some of the same thoughts about what happened to OMC that I do.

There was so many things that happen over the years when I was racing and being an exclusive OMC dealer.
If you read this thread you can easy see that I have been a very loyal OMC person.
..and still are.
Well.. there was a very good reason for that ..I made a good living from.. trying hard to make all the OMC policy's work in my favor.
I was a pretty difficult dealer and expected a lot back from OMC..
As a dealer OMC let me down many times..but I just pushed forward.

When some one from OMC asked my opinion I always gave a straight answer.
and here is my answer to swmjake ..

The Marine business was doing great in the early seventies..no Japs competition,,but it started in the late seventies in Europe.

The CEO back then was Charlie Strang and he was a good man but did not see
the future.
So the OMC down turn started on his term.
I have meet Charlie Strang many many times..at the races and dealer meetings but
he never paid attention to me.
Not as a racer or a exclusive dealer..
I think he was more an engineering man than a great leader for a big corporation.

Lots of poor decisions was done under his leader ship..and the ones following Charlie Strang was a disaster..

There is lots of stories to tell..if some one wants to read..

Bill Van Steenwyk
09-20-2011, 08:08 PM
As Wayne, Ron, and others have said, there are many who are interested in this topic and would like to hear more, me included.

You are in a unique place Lars, to tell this story of a large corporation's demise. Far enough removed from your own connection, and the fact the company has a different owner now, give you a special opportunity to add to the history of this corporation, hopefully without any chance for repercussions on you personally, but still close enough time wise, that lots of the former employees and other interested people who bought, used and raced their products will appreciate your viewpoint and experiences. One thing that I have especially enjoyed is your stories of the competition between Mercury and OMC and anything more you have to add would be "icing on the cake".

Please continue, as this thread is truly one of the most interesting ones on BRF, for all the above reasons and especially with your telling the story from your perspective as a very successful OMC dealer and racer, in the years just prior to its problems and sale to Bombardier.

swmjake
09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Lars,

My family has been a loyal OMC dealer since 1957. And for a lot of those years was the largest Johnson dealer on the west coast. I have alway's been more concerned about the company (OMC - at the time) than my bottom line each year. I knew that a healthy OMC was better for me than a short term profit etc...

I agree with you 100% - from 1980 to 1993 - Charlie was either CEO or Chairman of the BOD's. One would have to conclude that nothing "Big" happened during this years without his approval. And I have heard as much from several long term executives. He ran the show - it was his to make or break. I still focus my attention on the decison not to pursue a four stroke engine???? Also, they sold off Cushman and Lawnboy during that time to raise capital and purchased 15 boat companies. And in 1985 entered once again into the Stern Drive business - and we all know how well that went. Cobra Drive parts are still today one of the biggest sellers of parts at SWM.

One might ask that in the five years OMC spent millions on the F1 V-8 Tour in the USA and abroad - has Mercury over all the years they have raced spent as much money net. Its the classic Turttle and the Hare.

I really like the direction and stability that BRP has given to the Evinrude brand - they are forward thinkers for sure. I just went to a dealer conference in Montreal and toured the Ski Doo, Sea Doo and Can Am facitlites - they then flew us to WI and we toured the Evinrude facitlity. All first class along with the people. They may not be involved in racing or supporting our sport in anyway - however they are honest about that and have other fish to fry right now. Gone are the day's of buying programs that make no sence and "Special Deals" - and I like it.

My two cents,

Jake

Smokin' Joe
09-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Wayne..

There was so many things that happen over the years when I was racing and being an exclusive OMC dealer.
If you read this thread you can easy see that I have been a very loyal OMC person.
..and still are.
Well.. there was a very good reason for that ..I made a good living from.. trying hard to make all the OMC policy's work in my favor.
I was a pretty difficult dealer and expected a lot back from OMC..
As a dealer OMC let me down many times..but I just pushed forward.

When some one from OMC asked my opinion I always gave a straight answer.
and here is my answer to swmjake ..

The Marine business was doing great in the early seventies..no Japs competition,,but it started in the late seventies in Europe.

The CEO back then was Charlie Strang and he was a good man but did not see
the future.
So the OMC down turn started on his term.
I have meet Charlie Strang many many times..at the races and dealer meetings but
he never paid attention to me.
Not as a racer or a exclusive dealer..
I think he was more an engineering man than a great leader for a big corporation.

Lots of poor decisions was done under his leader ship..and the ones following Charlie Strang was a disaster..

There is lots of stories to tell..if some one wants to read..

I asked Edgar Rose about the bankruptcy when we ate together one night at Kankakee early this month. I was too tired to remember or write down what he said. One thing is certain. They got into financial troubles, were a small company and could fairly easily be bought out. Corporate raiding started ca. 1988, Soros-financed corporate raiders bought the company and led it into final bankruptcy. Edgar didn't mention it but I recall that they had problems with EPA fines for polluting a Chicago river. Edgar is not a many of many words via email but he knows the inside story. That night we mainly talked about toilet bowl downhousings and opera. Jim Nerstrom has also talked about the bankruptcy, and he's on this forum.

Washing machine comment on an earlier page triggered my memory. They hired the guy
after Strang stepped down. Edgar told me the guy listened to suggestions but could never reach a decision.

Powerabout
09-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Lars

What happened with Merc in Europe during this period?

Cheers

Lars Strom
09-21-2011, 05:56 AM
I was never a Mercury-Brunswick dealer or raced Mercury in any way back then.
so I don't really know any inside..

Well..Yamaha has been the best seller in Sweden and many more country's since
the late 1970..

I think we need to stick with OMC and racing on this thread.

EDIT..

I know one thing..Mercury do not take care of old loyal Merc boat racers..
I went boating last winter with Mr. Bill and his Parker/Yamaha..:p

Lars Strom
09-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Lars,

I have alway's been more concerned about the company (OMC - at the time) than my bottom line each year. I knew that a healthy OMC was better for me than a short term profit etc...
Jake

Again thanks Jake..

This is one of the better comment I have ever read..
Exactly so did I also think..my dealership and business were depending on OMC being a strong partner..but I did see so many bad signs and got out of the business before OMC went belly up..

Lars Strom
09-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Here is a "Happy New Year" postcard from Outboardland in Marina Del Ray, California.
This was the CA location for selling new Evinrude outboards that has been on a trip to Europe first.

I want to make absolutely clear that I was not in any way part of running Outboardland
in Marina Del Ray..

Lars Strom
09-21-2011, 01:29 PM
The price for outboards in different countries has always been an issue..
For example:
1977 Evinrude was way less in the US than Sweden..The dollar was extremely low..
A friend of mine purchased 75 new Evinrude 70 HP from a dealer in California..
and imported to Sweden..
He sold does 70 hp to customer for less than I paid dealer net from OMC Sweden..

As you know now that changed and lots of American made outboards was a better buy in Sweden..

TODAY..both Merc, Evinrude and Yamaha is way less in the US than Sweden..but the factories don't let the US dealers sell for export.

Good or bad..I don't know but that's the way it is right now

Ron Hill
09-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Does Yamaha have distributors or just dealers?

I remember at a Long Beach boat race, my nephew, Bunker Hill, was maybe 14, he's 50 now, asking Charlie Strang, "Why don't you have oil injection on your outboards, like my 125 CC Yamaha motorcycle?"

I don't recall the answer, but I do remember my brother telling Bunker, there at Long Beach, "World War II isn't over and if he were Charlie Strang he'd wake up at night with cold sweats thinking the Japanese were building outboard motors..."

Lars Strom
09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Hehe Ron..

Well..the Yamaha Motor Corporation is the importer/distrubutor for Yamaha in North America.
I meet the OEM National Sales Manager..Mark Tracy for some time ago.
Yamaha Motor Corporation sell the Yamaha outboards to US dealers and the dealers to
the final/end user.
Dont know if Yamaha Motor Corporation is owned by Japan or a have a private US owner.
I can tell you that they are very good and up to speed big time..

Mark D. Schwabero is the President and CEO for Mercury Marine and I know him to..
Here he is with my son Richard..

See..now both Merc and Yamaha got some time at the OMC/racing thread..:)

Lars Strom
09-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Back in the late seventies I went to Florida and Miami Marine stadium for a boat race.
(not to race, just to watch)
I think Jimbo McConnell was driving a light blue Mod 50 Molinari..

Well..Jack Leek invited me to the OMC Test station in Stuart, Florida the next day.
Jack was always very friendly to me and I was out in a rescue boat with him when Jimbo was testing the 3 liter OMC V-6 that normally was fuel injected.
but the test was with carburetors.

If I remember right was there a Merc/ OMC conflict about Ron Anderson.
He left Merc for OMC and OMC could not use the fuel injection for 6 month or so..

Later that year Jack Leek invited me to Waukegan.
This was my first visit to Sea Horse Drive and I remember how extremely cold it was
that winter day.

Next surprise was when Jack took me to a big building down by the lake..
He wanted to show me some thing..

It was Jacks sail boat..I smiled and said..
Jack..I came here to see the OMC factory and Engineering and hopefully some nice new racing equipment..not a sail boat but I guess that was his hobby...:)

Thanks Jack..I always is going to remember that trip and my first vistit to OMC over here.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-22-2011, 08:23 AM
I wish you would have brought your boat to race in the 1978 OE World Championships at Dayton Lars. Then I would have gotten some pictures of you and your boat.

You may remember the fuel controversy that year. One of these days when I get time I will put together in chronological order all about that. I have numerous letters from national authorities around the world and notes from Dieter Konig, Gary Garbrecht, letter from OMC people and notes I took while talking to lots of people fighting an illegal (according to UIM's own rules) move to ban methanol. It will take a lot of work to gather all the info from various files. I have most of it in one folder now, but as I look up other things, I come across a letter or note that is pertinent. I want to do it all and once and not backtrack. When I post it, I look forward from comments from you and others regarding what they knew or remember.

Keep up the good work.

Lars Strom
09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Well..I was in the OMC "dog house" 1978 after my 1977 year with Volvo Penta/König
in the OE class.

Next story will be about how I got back in the drivers seat 1978 with OMC.
I was not racing OE 1978..that is the main reason I was not in the 1978 OE World Championships at Dayton..:)

Lars Strom
09-25-2011, 08:53 PM
After I left Volvo Penta/König late 1977 I had to come up with a plan to get back with OMC Racing..I was 100% sure that Paul Kalb was not the right way to go..

In Sweden Volvo Penta Outboars was big in the SD class..and made a deal with Bengt Nilsson the CEO
for Outboard Marine in Sweden to be 100% OMC sales and racing.
He wanted me to beat the Volvo Penta in the SD class and than race the very popular Z class.
Offshore with a cat and the new Evinrude 235 hp.
On top of that.. one of the biggest bakery's in Sweden..Delicato signed up the be the sponsor for both boats.
Well..there was one more thing in this deal..I placed the biggest pre-season Evinrude order OMC Sweden ever seen..

Clerici built me a special SD cat for the new 2 cylinder 55 hp Evinrude and a brand new design Z class cat from Argo racing boats in Finland.

Now my outboard dealership was full of Evinrude outboards and racing boats..
Lots of work but I had very good help from my employers.

The first SD race was a enormous success..as the quote below says..

Same thing with the Z class Offshore boat..
We won the first overall 2 hour Offshore race with an average speed of 90 MPH with a stock Evinrude 235.

So..now I was back on the OMC racing map again..

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I was asked by OMC to try to make this engine work in the SD class.
There was one big success..the Stockholm Grand Prix 1978..
I grabed the overall win...Well the race was one hour and most SE/OE boats
broke down..

As always..you win on the last lap..not the first..

This was a fun experiment and a way for me to get back to race for OMC again after one year with Volvo Penta/Konig (1977 )

Lars Strom
09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
The Z Offshore class was very popular in Scandinavia 1978.

Mikael Frodé was one of many drivers..

Most people know Mikael Frodé as a Mercury man..but his success in racing started with
this boat and a Evinrude outboard..:)
Jepp..it is a cat built by Frodé..

Mikael was #Z-4
First picture is from 1978..next three from 1977. (Same boat)

My Delicato/ARGO/Evinrude was # Z-1

PS--Wait..it is going to get more interesting aboat Mikael Frodés first built cat..
..picture coming sooooon..!!

Lars Strom
09-26-2011, 07:08 PM
The Z-4 cat above build by Mikael Frodé around 1976 was first designed for a 2 liter SAAB V-4 inboard..
Well..on the back of the transom Mikeal installed a paddle wheel...!!!!!
I did not work very good.. top speed only 30 MPH..
Mikael took the SAAB out and replaced the paddle wheel with a brand new 1977 Evinrude
..2.4 liter V-6.. 200 hp outboard.

Now the cat was flying and Mikael scored his first overall win in the famous Roslagsloppet the same year..

Here is a picture and some reading in Swedish..

Bill Van Steenwyk
09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
And now i have!!!!

Lars Strom
09-27-2011, 05:29 AM
Hehe Bill...I think Mikael was up to some thing..but an Evinrude V-6 outboard out of a box was a way smarter choice..!!:)

Lars Strom
09-27-2011, 06:08 AM
The Scandinavian/Nordic Championship in the Z class 1978 was in Kotka, Finland.
Weather conditions was extremely tough..storm and big waves..
I stuffed the Delicato/ARGO/Evinrude way out on the Baltic Sea and my co-pilot
Curre and I had to swim for a long time before some one came to rescue us.

The boat was OK..but the best thing with that race was my old friend Angelo Vassena
was there from Italy.

He was working on a deal with Renato Molinari to drive one of Renatos Team Saffa OZ boats in the Paris 6 hours later same year.
Vassena wanted me to be his co-pilot..

Well..I know Renato is mad at me for the Volvo Penta/Konig deal last year I told Vassena..

His response was ..Renato has already accepted you to drive one of his Saffa boats
and he thinks you need to go to Italy to do a test race before Paris 6 Hours.

Back in Stockholm Sweden I made a plan to go and race with Team Molinari in September.

Next story..

Picture.. Angelo Vassena.

Lars Strom
09-27-2011, 07:03 AM
My friend Anders and I took my brand new "Evinrude blue" Pontiac Trans Am and left for Italy in
early September 1978.
Straight to the Molinari factory just north of the little town Como.
The Molinari race shop was always fun to visit.
Extremely nice and clean.

There was a brand new Molinari Saffa ON boat rigged with a special Evinrude
V-6..2 liter "looper" for me.

I was testing all day at Lago di Como and was ready to go to race at the really nice
Idroscala next to the Linate airport in Milano.

Renato was also racing ON with a similar boat/engine.
The race went very well for me..I ended up second after Renato..ahead of Cees van der Velden and a few Mercury 2 liter boats.

The race at Idroscala was September 11 1978 and just after the race I got the news..
Ronnie Peterson..the famous Swedish Formula 1 driver was killed at the F-1 race
at Monza only a few miles from us..

A great day turn in to a very sad day for a Swedish race fan..!!

Ronnie Peterson Fatal Crash ..click below to see the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wk7uSuWPkE

Lars Strom
09-28-2011, 06:06 AM
After the race in Italy we went back to Sweden for the last Z class race for 1978.
Curre and I was out testing new props and the Delicato/ARGO/Evinrude was really fast.
Close to 110 MPH and the tacho for the 2.4 liter blue printed Evinrude V-6 showed
7.500 RPM.
I remember long low swells from a bigger boat..and a few seconds later we where
swimming again..

The Argo Cat noise dived at WOT and the nice painted boat was turned in to "corn flakes"..
The luck was on our side..we where not hurt..
We later found the engine..and a few bigger parts of the boat..
That was the end to my Z class racing..

1978 was also the end for Mikael Frodé in the Z class..Next year..1979 he switched to
the N class..(2 liter) and his Mercury Racing started.
Mikael Frodé is a very successful Offshore racer, and runs a Marine business in Vaxholm outside Stockholm.
He is also the only Mercury Racing dealer in Scandinavia.

Picture one.. is the same boat that first had the paddle wheel but now a Merc.
Second picture.. is Mikael at his Merc dealer ship.
I visited him a few years ago and we talked old racing for hours..

Powerabout
09-28-2011, 06:32 AM
wow 7500 from a cleaned up 78 235!

Lars Strom
09-28-2011, 07:12 AM
There was no cleaver props bigger than 30 inch pitch back then..and we made the diameter larger by welding on to the blades..
I blow a few power heads..
The 7500 RPM was not for long periods of time.
At testing the boat was light..In racing conditions we needed fuel onboard for a few hours..

RPM between 6500/6800

Powerabout
09-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Interesting
thanks Lars
what actually broke at 7500
top of crank?

Lars Strom
09-28-2011, 07:40 AM
The problem with my very good 1978.. 235 hp 2.448 liter was that the piston rings got stuck in the pistons.
There was two types of pistons available from OMC, one where the rings was close to the top of the piston..and one where the rings was a little bit down from the top..
Did not matter..the piston rings was stuck after only a few hours racing..

To make clear..the piston rings was stuck in the pistons from carbon build up..
and we lost some speed from that..

The blown powerheads was "connecting rod out"..!! at high RPM..

There was a balancing driving style..
The very light built ARGO cat was extremely fast..
but we could not find big enough props to hold the RPM down..and it is hard to back off to keep the engine alive..in racing...:)

Lars Strom
09-28-2011, 06:49 PM
The last race 1978 was Paris 6 Hours and I was really exited about racing in the OZ class with a very good boat and engine.
We had the same chance to the overall win as everybody else in the OZ class.

Again..I have to give my friend Angelo Vassena, the credit for the opportunity..
He was the one putting this deal together with Renato Molinari..

Well..OMC was still in charge..I remember very well when Jack Leek told as to use a big pitch propeller to hold down the RPM to keep
the engine alive for 6 hours.
The big prop took away all the fun driving..OMC told Angelo and me to just ride and let
faster boats take the risk of breaking down.

It is hard to explain the feeling to drive Paris 6 hours..but I know many here at BRF
know how good feeling it is to run up and down the river Seine next to the Eiffel tower.
Hundreds of thousand of spectators watching..

I do not remember all the details but we ended up fourth..not bad for our first year in the big OZ class.
We was the second best OMC..after Renato/Posey.

The engine was a 2.4 liter cross-flow power head with the 3 extra carburetors..
Same block as my Z class boat used..on a racing rig..
See picure.

I only have this little picture of our # 11 boat..and I can see on the helmet that the Swede is driving.
The Saffa paint job was so good looking..

A color picture of Renatos Saffa boat.

Rotary John
09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Lars: I find it interesting you were only going 110 with the V-6 in 1978. We were running just under 120 with the rotaries on the old Scotti's in testing and over 130 in actual racing in 1973.

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 05:46 AM
Hi Rotary John..
First..Thanks for clicking in here at my thread..

I think 110 MPH was very good with a stock design outboard.
The big gear case slow the speed down and this ARGO cat was build for Offshore
with a driver and a navigator.
We where two people onboard.

Powerabout
09-29-2011, 05:50 AM
sounds very fast to me, offshore with a stock lower

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 07:07 AM
It is hard to explain the feeling to drive Paris 6 hours..but I know many here at BRF
know how good feeling it is to run up and down the river Seine next to the Eiffel tower.
Hundreds of thousand of spectators watching..

Here is the Paris 6 Hour result from 1976...

Well done Lee Sutter..Paris 6 hours is hard to win..!!

1. Tom Percival / Lee Sutter GB/USA Molinari / Mercury ON
2. Erwin Zimmermann Austria Velden / Mercury ON
3. Geoff Edwards / Berga Halsaa GB/Norway Hodges / Mercury ON

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Lars, re your post "It is hard to explain the feeling to drive Paris 6 hours..but I know many here at BRF
Hundreds of thousand of spectators watching.."

I sure was, especially in 1971 while leading with a 20 minute lead & under an hour to go, throttled back by crew instructions only to lose power in the pit turn & quit at the other turn due to a busted rod hanging out of the C.C. Keep thinking of that over & over, you know, "could of, should of, would of".

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Jepp..That's a hard one to swallow John Schubert..sorry to hear that..
It happened to me to in the OE class a few times.

Here is the result from Paris 6 Hours 1968
(80 entries)

1. Renato Molinari / Rosario Leonardi Italy Molinari / Mercury ON
2. Mac McCune / Ted McCune USA Schulze / Johnson ON
3. Ted May / Ron Hill USA Schulze / Evinrude ON

I know Ron told us this before..but here it is in print..

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 09:09 AM
I sure was, especially in 1971 while leading with a 20 minute lead & under an hour to go, throttled back by crew instructions only to lose power in the pit turn & quit at the other turn due to a busted rod hanging out of the C.C. Keep thinking of that over & over, you know, "could of, should of, would of".

Well..I guess you went back 1972 to try again..!!

American driver list for Paris 6 Hours 1971 and -72.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Well..I guess you went back 1972 to try again..!!

American driver list for Paris 6 Hours 1971 and -72.

Did bad then too. In the first lap or 2 the steering wheel came off in my hands. Had to use inward pressure to hold in place. Then towards the end Art Kennedy hit the sewall & cam in & got out. I had the crew duct tape the sponson & went back out & finished but don't recall where we finished. Geoff Briggs was teamed with Bob Witt but they broke a crank. After Paris we put my motor on Geoff's boat athe factory in Brugge & raced in Berlin, but memory fails me again, but think that we didn't finish.

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Here is little more about Angelo Vassena..He is a very fun man to hang around.
Angelo knows the world..

I meet him back when he worked for the Carniti Outboard factory in Italy..
The first picture shows Angelo trying to sell Cassius Clay/ Muhammad Ali a small Carniti Outboard at the Miami Boat Show 1972.

Than there is more mixed pictures of Angelo..

Mark75H
09-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Any more?

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes Sam..here is more.

1982.. Angelo Vassena raced with Mike Reagen in his Larry Smith Scarab 3 X Evinrude Offshore Racing V-8 outboards in Key West.

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 06:14 PM
1989.. Atlantic City - USA.. Angelo Vassena and Don Johnson
I think Angelo was racing with Daniel Scioli in Offshore Class 1

1975.. Miami Marine Stadiuim.. Bill Muncey and Angelo Vassena
"Bill Muncey Wide World International”

NERSTROM
09-30-2011, 05:19 AM
I got to know Angelo very well, great guy. Always trying to help out his fellow racers.

Rotary John
09-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Happy Birthday Lars!!:)

Lars Strom
09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Happy Birthday Lars!!:)

Thanks Rotary John..

Down at the Marina at Lake of the Ozarks..fishing and drinking beer with my friends.
Dinner out later tonight.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm with John in wishing you a happy birthday. :) It is your birthday present to us at BRF that you resumed where you left off. Glad you got some pictures you were looking for, and the additional history of the other guys ties into the sport from those days. You and Corina have a good one along with your friends Lars.

Lars Strom
10-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks Wayne.
We are onboard our Sea Ray SS this morning and are trying to stay warm with a hot cup of coffee

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-01-2011, 03:48 PM
ON & SE entry list & results

Lars Strom
10-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks John Schubert ..

Well..same page twice..
Here is the first page entry list.

Lars Strom
10-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Result from.. Berlin 6 Hours.. over the years..

Check 1970 and 1971..red arrow..

Ron..Tell us more..:)

Lars Strom
10-08-2011, 08:05 AM
The green flag..Berlin 6 Hours 1971

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Not being able to see the flags on the boats, the boat just above the pace boat #6 I beleieve was Geoff Briggs starting & I took over after his 1 1/2 stint when we were out front but then broke.

Lars Strom
10-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Here is little more about Angelo Vassena..He is a very fun man to hang around.
Angelo knows the world..

I meet him back when he worked for the Carniti Outboard factory in Italy..
The first picture shows Angelo trying to sell Cassius Clay/ Muhammad Ali a small Carniti Outboard at the Miami Boat Show 1972.

Than there is more mixed pictures of Angelo..

Great news today..after lots of digging I finally found the phone number to
Angelo Vassena.

I just spent over an hour on the phone with Angelo in his home in Milan, Italy.
He is the same fun Angelo..only little older..80 by the way..
We talked about old boat racing and he remembers all the fun and good times we
have had together.

I just wish that he could travel to visit us here at our Ranch in Missouri..

Again..this made my day

Picture show Mr. Carniti and Angelo Vassena in Paris with a Carniti outboard in the ON class.

Lars Strom
10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
One more thing with Angelo Vassena..

If I remember right... he did work for OMC in Bruges, Belgium a year or so the run the
racing department.
(After Paul Kalb)

Lars Strom
10-14-2011, 03:11 PM
That's when Billy Huzell the owner of the Evinrude Sweden told me to keep the Evinrude Ft 19 S and race Roslagsloppet next weekend
with my Offshore Piraya two seater.

Well, I did and won the Race with Bertil Wik as a co-pilot.
We was so fast, and arrived way to early in Oregrund. (2,5 hour race with refueling)
There was no finish line yet....

This is from Powerboat and waterskiing October 1976

Lars Strom
10-14-2011, 04:40 PM
This was my second year as an exclusive authorized Evinrude dealer, and my business was
doing way better than expected.

On top of that the SE Class European/Continental Championship race was going to take place
in Sweden and I could be the first driver in history to win 4 in a row.

I asked Franco Clerici to build me a boat with some of my own input, and for the first time Evinrude/Sweden
sent a driver to Cremona Italy to pick the boat up.

The boat was exactly the way I wanted, and we painted the boat to match the 1976 Evinrude Hustler.

OMC told me to start the season with a stock 75 hp motor, and as soon as the new Evinrude FT 19 S
was ready they sent me one.

There was rumors that Mercury was coming out with a second generation of 650 XS and I was
disappointed that the new Evinrude was delayed.

Early every spring the Swedish Power Boat Federation invited all the Press and Media to a Party
at Gåshaga Wärdshus.
I took my very good looking boat to that place early in the morning and cover it up to make it more interesting.

The press people asked me if they could take a photo of my "secret Boat", and I told them No.
Only the rear of the Clerici Boat.

The day after I got all the headlines in the news papers and many pictures of the Evinrude motor.
Not my "secret boat"....

The plan worked perfect!!
Remember, I was selling outboards not Race boats.

We raced 5 or 6 races, before the Big one in Nora, and my boat was perfect.
First place in all the races and the next one was now the European Championship.

One week before the Race I was told the new Evinrude FT 19 S was on the way to Sweden.
Way to late, because I was not happy starting to change things only a few days before
the Big Race.
I felt pretty good I could win with my stock 75, but OMC told me to install the new engine.

We did and tested.
The top speed was better, but not so good after the turns.

Well, at the Race in Nora there was many people upset because only Bo Nilsson and I had the
new engine.
I told OMC I can win with the old engine, but was told to just race and stay out of politics.

Lots of SE Boats at the Race, and I was worried about sabotage at night, so my friend
Christer "Monstret" Eriksson was guarding the boat all night with jumper cables in his hand to
scare people away.

RACE DAY

Same type of Race, 4 heat 3 counts and clock start or flying start as it was called in Swedish.

Everything was perfect at the last practice: the boat, the balance, set up, prop, engine and the driver was ready.

Without bragging, but I was very good to time the start.
Always wide open when I crossed
the starting line and that is a big part of winning a race.

I won the first three heat and Gert Lowisin was starting to take my engine apart when they
still raced for second place.
At that time I did not want Gert to do that, because he worked for Volvo Penta and was part
responsible for the Volvo Penta/Konig OE engine.

Anyway, he was the Chief Technical Inspector for the race and after 3 hours he said officially that my
engine was 100 % legal.

Now I was 4 X European Champion and celebrated with a big Outboard sale at my dealership.

Powerboat and Waterskiing after the race in Nora, Sweden..
See..Angelo Vassena was fourth..

Bill Van Steenwyk
10-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Lars:

Until you mentioned the Clerici brand boat in your earlier posts about your racing in Europe, I had never heard of that particular brand. In the information you have just posted it looks as though the boat was very successful in that particular class., even with the "enemy's" motors powering them.

I would be interested in knowing more about the person responsible for building them, whether he ever worked for Molarnari, whether Molarnari's design influenced the Clerici brand, and whether any of them ever made their way to the US, etc.

When Wayne's Dad promoted the OE race in Dayton that you were not able to make, tunnel boats competed against some hydro's, but I do not remember that brand if they were represented, and several OMC drivers participated.

Anything you could add to the story about those boats would be appreciated, especially why you were protecting the boat from "prying eyes" that you tell about when you won the championship for the third or fourth time.

Thanks

Bill

Lars Strom
10-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Bill..

Franco Clerici was an independent boat builder from a little place outside Cremona, Italy.
His boats was outstanding in the SD and SE class..far better than any other boat for many years in those two classes.

I purchased 10 boats from him..all winners.

Franco did not speak any English and was building all the boats in a small garage next to his house.

Franco named his youngest daughter Lara and she is on the first picture.

Today Franco is getting pretty old as you can see on the second picture..black arrow.
His wife..red arrow..

Your second question coming later..
Again..Thank for reading

Lars Strom
10-16-2011, 07:03 PM
See..I found a report in Powerboat and Waterskiing about this race..!!

The Sprint World Champion Ship OE that year was in Brodenbach, and OMC was not very happy with Lars racing a Volvo and Jenkins Racing a Archimedes. (Same thing)

Michael Werner was the home favorite with Mercury's secret F3 engine with the EFI box.

OMC at that time did not have the speed, and where using the "Gas in a bottle" ( laughing gas), to make it better,
but the officials of the Race said it was not legal, so OMC never raced and filed a protest.

I was fighting hard with Werner and won one heat, he the next etc. and it was down to the final heat
I had to win on a better time and I did, but then the Race officials said that my heat was 2/10 of a second
slower than Werner's so he was now the World Champ. (at that time they used stop watches)

I don't now if it was right or wrong, but a week later UIM made a decision about the OMC protest and the Race
was not a official World Championship Race anymore.

Lars Strom
10-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Nice company..

Lars Strom
10-18-2011, 05:41 PM
In the Paris race my boat #8 and Tom Percivals boat #10 had the same sponsor..
International Travel Card.

We lost driver Luigi Valdono in Holland and Gerard Barthelemy in Paris.

From Powerboat and Waterskiing 1984

Lars Strom
10-18-2011, 06:18 PM
This is from the race at Idroscalo next to the Linate Airport in Italy.
I won my first heat there..last race of the 1983 season.

To bad next heat went wrong and I remenber very well what happen..but are not going there..:)

...Hehe"the blond marine dealer from Stockholm"......see red mark..picture two

Lars Strom
10-20-2011, 07:13 PM
My AKAI/Burgess/Evinrude CC..Fun weekend and a close call including swiming, but ended up on top.!!

"The Aspen World Series"..second picture..

Bill Van Steenwyk
10-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Lars:

Perhaps you mentioned it earlier, but if so I missed it.

Why were you now using a Burgess boat instead of the Clerici that you had liked so much?

Did Clerici not make a boat for SE class versus the Burgess used in OE?

Bill

Lars Strom
10-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi Bill,

Clerici boats was perfect for the SD and SE class..but in OE/F-3 Burgess boats was way better than Clerici.

Again, thanks for reading here.

Lars Strom
10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Same red AKAI/Burgess boat but in Italy..Idroscalo 1981..Looks like Michael Werner in boat #7..I just got this picture from a friend in Italy..

Lars Strom
10-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Over the years I raced many different boats and classes..
From small SD boats to the really fast and dangerous F1-V8..

I traveled to see Jimbo McConnell a few years ago in Needles, CA and we talked old racing and had a really good time.
Jimbo took use up in the mountains and I watched him fly his RC air planes..

We both agree on one thing.. that a good OE/F-3/Mod 50 was the most fun class to race.

To bad the class is not active any more..a good OE/F-3/Mod 50 boat easy
goes over the 100 MPH point..

Thanks Jimbo..time for me to visit Needles, CA again

Lars Strom
10-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Time to make an offer..!!:)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evinrude-Racing-formula-1-V8-OZ-Worlds-most-powerful-outboard-ever-made-/330629775216?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfb11ff70

Mark75H
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Now we will see if the seller has correctly estimated the selling price

Lars Strom
10-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Well..if I remember right the "bubble back" was the difference between a 1983 and 84 model year.
(1981-82 and -83 was flat).
1985 was the 6 inch mid section and fuel injection..

I don't think OMC made them 1990..but a am sure Jim Nerstrom can get this right.

Hehe..maybe Jim is the seller..!!:)

Lars Strom
10-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Over in the Middle East the UIM is holding the yearly meeting.
Powerboat federations from all over the world are trying to grow boat racing.

I got this picture from Frode Sundsdal..
See..Charlie Strang ( left) is still part of UIM..

Lars Strom
10-23-2011, 02:03 PM
I raced the Aspen Formula 3 series here again 1982.

Lars Strom
10-24-2011, 06:05 PM
I wish you would have brought your boat to race in the 1978 OE World Championships at Dayton Lars. Then I would have gotten some pictures of you and your boat.

Well..I was in the OMC "dog house" 1978 after my 1977 year with Volvo Penta/König
in the OE class.
I was not racing OE 1978..that is the main reason I was not in the 1978 OE World Championships at Dayton..:)
Next story will be about how I got back in the drivers seat 1978 with OMC.

Wayne..I am so sorry.. but I did not know this..Look what I just found..
A very good report from Mr. Wayne Baldwin..:)

Master Oil Racing Team
10-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Thanks Lars. I have about a one inch thick file regarding the banning of methanol leading up to this race, and in fact it was Gary Garbrecht who brought up the nitrous oxide to me that you mentioned earlier. We had no idea of all the goings on. Gary was one of the guys representing the U.S. at the UIM meetings that was on our side. I believe Paul Kalb was also on the board, but pro methanol ban. This is a story for another thread, but in the meantime, I think I have an article from another magazine regarding this race. I'll see if I can find it.

Lars Strom
10-25-2011, 09:21 AM
We used methanol in UIM OE/F-3 up to my last OE/F-3 race 1982..
Not 100% sure what happened after 1982, but I think longer racing killed methanol..
To heavy load for a 30 minute race..

I remember Paul Kalb did everything possible to keep Dieter König out of OE/F-3 ..!!:p

Lars Strom
10-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Over the years I had many fights for the win in the OE class with Michael Werner and his Mercury´s..Some he won..some I did.
Tomorrow is his Birthday and this is for you Micheal..
Have a great day.

from facebook..

Hey..Michael..
Happy Birthday..see.. the good old GOLD days..I miss them.
Have a great day.

(Bristol 1977..)

PS..Yes..that is a Burgess.

Lars Strom
10-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I finally found more about my first year racing in Paris 1974

I was there in the pit with my fast SE Clerici 1973..but Mr. Bladinare (the Officer of the day) did not let me start because the Swedish Powerboat Federation sent my entry form to late..
Back then you must have your country's NA enter you to an International race.

My yellow Clerici/Evinrude is on the first picture..see red arrow.
This is also the Rotary year and when we lost Cesare Scotti..

Lars Strom
10-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Well..there was Swedes before me in the Paris 6 hour race..
I still have contact with Lars Block..one of the drivers of the Swedish built Smuggler that did not turn very good..!!..:)

Lars Strom
11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Jepp..I was there..racing my AKAI/Burgess/Evinrude CC OE/Formula 3 boat.
Brodenbach, Germany 1981..

A big day for all OMC race fans and supporters..

PS..Thanks Ron for getting the BRF up and running again..

Lars Strom
11-06-2011, 12:33 PM
The US Air Force and the US Army picked our Ranch as there prime base for yesterdays training..

Jepp..they landed two Black Hawk Helicopters at the ranch and my new barn was the "target" for the Wart Hogs flying all day here..

Lots of fun..

Take a look and excuse me for off topic...!!

Lars Strom
11-06-2011, 12:41 PM
More from yesterday..

Lars Strom
11-06-2011, 12:46 PM
This Black Hawk hade GE engines..

Lars Strom
11-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Time to fly again..
and Yes..they are coming back to do more training here at our ranch..
A perfect place..I was told..!!

Master Oil Racing Team
11-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Wow Lars.....that is a real honor.:cool: I'm going to show these to my son-in-law next time he's over. He was an avionics guy in the marines and rode in a MH-53 in the first wave that went into Afghanistan in 2001.

That must have been an unbelievable experience to witness the training. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Powerabout
11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
way cool Lars
any joyrides??

Ron Hill
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
The US Air Force and the US Army picked our Ranch as there prime base for yesterdays training..

Jepp..they landed two Black Hawk Helicopters at the ranch and my new barn was the "target" for the Wart Hogs flying all day here..

Lots of fun..

Take a look and excuse me for off topic...!!

Lars, thanks for all you wonderful posts. Last week when BRF was down, one of my biggest fears was that we'd lost what Lars had posted.

Whatever Lars post, everyone reads!

I kind of figured you just bought that helicopter. Helicopters bring back bad memories of our friend Christolbal....or however you spell it...

Don't EVER stop posting...

Did you post those two pictures of me that were on Facebook here on BRF???

Lars Strom
11-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks Ron..

Well..it was our Swedish friend Christer "Erik" Eriksson..with the nick name "Monstret" that died in a helicopter crash a few year ago..

No..I have not posted the Paris pictures yet..but here they are..:)

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Not to make you angry Ron, but the picture of you in the boat you co-drove with Jimbo looks like a slotted deck Scotti. The second picture looks like a Molinari. What year is those pictures sipposed to be from?