PDA

View Full Version : Super Swede ... Lars Strom

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Lars Strom
11-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Hehe John..
The # 11 boat is from Paris 6 Hours 1972 and the second picture from 1970..

PS..the # 11 boat finished 3rd that year.

Ron Hill
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Not to make you angry Ron, but the picture of you in the boat you co-drove with Jimbo looks like a slotted deck Scotti. The second picture looks like a Molinari. What year is those pictures sipposed to be from?

Somewhere on BRF, I talk about the Slotted Deck Scotti and the 1972 Paris Six Hour. JImbo and I both agree that was the worst Scotti ever built, It is the Scotti you and Bill Muncey drove at Parker when the steering wheel came off or something...

The "High Rider" Molinari was a fun boat to drive...and if I'm not mistaken, had YOU not broken the steering that year (197)) we'd have had a two three finish...

Few thing make me mad...Jimbo and Ted driving the 191 at Parker 1973...now that made me mad! I keep this poster on my wall of my office, so I won't forget why I was mad at Jimbo!!!

Lars Strom
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Today we lost a very good friend of ours..
Bob Morgan lost his life in a Powerboat racing accident in Key West.
So did Jeff Tillman.

R.I. P.

Picture show Bob and my wife Carina a few weeks ago..

Master Oil Racing Team
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
So very sad to hear that Lars. God bless the families of Bob Morgan and Jeff Tillman. May they rest in peace.

Lars Strom
11-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Thank you Wayne.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a video from Chasewater 1981..
Kind of long but you can see my red #1.. OE /F-3...AKAI/Burgess/EvinrudeCC boat.
Remember this race very well..was my first race using methanol and I tested in Sweden many days to get it to work..

You can also see Fiona Brothers and others in this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SDycRBi24&feature=youtu.be

Lars Strom
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Boatracing must be safer..!!

Powerabout
11-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Condolences to the familys

But dare I say a repeat of the guys in Dubai, the boats are not yet designed properly
The forces on the deck/canopies seem to be still underestimated
What a sad waste of men in what should have been a survivable accident

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Boatracing must be safer..!!

Lars,

Is there a write up some where?

Bill Van Steenwyk
11-13-2011, 03:20 PM
John:

Look on HRTV. Dan has put several links up and some video.

Bill

aeneas
11-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Thank you for very interesting and enjoyable reading!

Lars Strom
12-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks aeneas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT BRF.

2012 is going to be a great year..

Picture show Carina and Lucky at Wilco Marine Constructions Christmas party in South Florida yesterday.

EDIT..I made one more picture with myself and the best friend ever..!!

Master Oil Racing Team
12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Lars...you Carina and Lucky have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Hope to see you and Carina in 2012.

Lars Strom
01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Thank you Wayne

Back then Amsterdam was a big race, so was Rotterdam but I only raced in Amsterdam 1975 and 1976.
At that time Cees VD Velden was a superstar in Holland and he was one of the reasons for this race enormous
success.

After my "racing flop" in Cardiff, Bo and I headed for Amsterdam and came a few days early to the race,
to check out if the rumors was true about Amsterdam, and it was.

I do not remember if the Race was 2 x 1.5 hours or a 3 hour race.
We did not bring the Paris 6 hour refueling equipment so I guess it was 2 x 1.5hour.

Most of the OMC/Mercury's ON/OZ drivers was in the race.
In Europe 1975, the new "in thing" was the Plat form shoes and Bo and I bought two pairs just for fun
and used them in the Pit.
I remember Renato Molinari looking at me and shaking his head, and we where laughing

Lots of boats in this Race and to be honest, I do not remember more than that I won the race
ahead of Bo and the rest in the SE class.

Bo was used to be second, but he always won the party after the Race.

He is a very fun and a great person.
We are still good friends.

After the race we headed back to Sweden to get ready for the Paris 6 Hours.

Next story is about the 1976 racing season and I am going to make that one short.
More or less the same thing.
I am winning all the SE races and people is getting sick and tired of that.

Sorry, can not find any photos from Amsterdam

Here is more pictures of my 1975 SE class Clerici/Evinrude..
The first one is from Karlskoga, Sweden..

The second one is a very fun picture I just got from a friend of mine over in Sweden..
Peter is digging in his dad Lorentz old boxes..and more is coming soon..

I am in the lead in the Amsterdam 3 hour race.. Boat #71 just ahead of my best racing buddy Bo Nilson..Boat #69..
Yes..we where fighting for 3 hours..but I stayed ahead to the checkered flag..!!
(Both pictures is the same Clerici)..

Lars Strom
01-02-2012, 08:22 PM
TELEGRAM from OMC after my win in Amsterdam 1975.

Lars Strom
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM
This is from 1974..My two seater.. Offshore UIM E-class Piraya 17 with Evinrude 70 and the nitro gear case..
Very fast boat..

Lars Strom
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
I still remember this..a few minutes before the start..my heart was picking pretty fast..
The co-pilot Lorentz Naslund was very helpful in our first 3 Paris race together..73/74 and 1975.

Lars Strom
01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Swedish News papers..(Sorry for Swedish)..but we got the front page..!!
I did a very good start..our boat is the one closest in the picure..

Master Oil Racing Team
01-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I like the Swedish Lars. Remember....BRF is for boat racers all around the world, and your post is a good example of the international flavor. Besides, you can still read the results.:cool:

Lars Strom
01-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Wayne..

Lorentz Näslund and I was very close and good friends..We raced three Paris Six Hours together..73-74 and 1975
He was around my racing from start..always helpful and just a great man.

Sadly we lost him way to early and it is his son Peter and the Näslund family helping out with pictures and news papers right now.

This is my way to honor a great friend and racing buddy..

Lars Strom
01-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Yes..1974 he won the Swedish Championship in the SE class..point from 4 or 5 races added up in his favor..

I won the Swedish Championship in the E-class with my Piraya 2 seater..

Skoontz
01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
In post 738, it starts with a yellow boat and Lorentz Naaslund. The next shot is a bunch of boats taking off. See the boat in the forground? The very first boat, number 98? What is that using for power? Unless my eyes are decieving myself there is no engine on the back.....

Mark75H
01-05-2012, 09:22 AM
In post 738, it starts with a yellow boat and Lorentz Naaslund. The next shot is a bunch of boats taking off. See the boat in the forground? The very first boat, number 98? What is that using for power? Unless my eyes are decieving myself there is no engine on the back.....

Volvo sterndrive/IO ... same for #94

Lars Strom
01-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Skoontz,

First..the yellow boat is mine..just before the start of the race..

The #98 boat is a 2 liter inboard..you can see the Volvo Stern drive if you look close..
I think the flag on the boat is German..

Thanks for always reading here Skoontz..

EDIT..One more picture with boat #98 and one of the Evinrude Rotary boats..!!

Lars Strom
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Holbäck, Denmark 1973.
The Nordic Championship..SE class..This weekend was really windy..many drivers was flying left and right in the heavy wind.
The "Super-Swede" with his #99 Clerici-Evinrude was the winner..

I remember my friend Bo Nilsson was doing the mandatory Swedish Military service..
The girlfriend of Bo.. Pia.. took the car and his Schulze race boat the Denmark by herself..
Bo did not get the time off to do that..

Well..did not help...Bo traded the Schulze and the girlfriend next year for a Italian made Clerici..
and a Italian born girlfriend..!!..:)

This was in Lorentz file for the race..

PS..Phuuu..I hope Pia is not reading here..I am a friend of hers at FaceBook..!!:eek:

Lars Strom
01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Lorentz Näslund in the Clerici boat # 34..(Well.. that is my old boat from 1973).
Me in the Clerici #99..
Not sure about the #62 boat.

Lars Strom
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
This is in my opinion very unique and interesting..

1975 at the SD European Championship race in Torsby, Varmland/Sweden a Danish racer
won the Championship ahead of all the Swedish Penta Outboard drivers..
Penta was the King of the SD class back then.

The Danish driver Christian Molgaard used a Evinrude 50 HP engine on his boat that was build by him in Denmark.

In the newspaper I am talking to Christian after the race..I was racing the SE class and won the one hour race at the same time..
I was so happy for Christian and that he won the race with a Evinrude engine..

Christian is still building race boats and are very successful..
Over 400 race boats since start..that is more or less one a month for 35 years..
Most of them are winners.

In the beginning the boats was named Kes-Cat..and later just Molgaard Racing..

The first photo is from the newspaper in June 1975..Yes.. that is Christian and me talking..:)

The rest is a 2011 Christmas card from Molgaard Racing..
Christian sent me.
Pretty unique history..

PS..Again..sorry for Swedish..but news papers come that way over there..:)

http://www.molgaard-racing.com/

Lars Strom
01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Here is about Christian Mogaard and his Kes-Cat factory... in English.

Powerboat & Waterskiing April 1980

Master Oil Racing Team
01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I think I have that same issue of P&W Lars. The title of the article was very prophetic.

Lars Strom
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
After Lorentz Näslund and I finished third in Paris 1974..we where now ready for a win in the OE class.
My Nacka Asfalt/Clerici/Evinrude SE boat was well prepared for the race..
The entry form was in time to Mr. Blodinare..
Race number 69.

Well..a good start don't help when you hit something a few laps later and brake the gear case at the far end of the race course..
Two hours to get back to the pit and the race was over..

We left Paris for a Evinrude dealer meeting on the Canary Islands
My friend Per Benson took Lorentz van and my boat back to Sweden..
I told Per.. please remember to stamp the Carne ATA document out of France..
He forgot that and a letter from OMC came later in the mail ..

My dream of winning Paris 6 hours was still a dream

This was also the last Paris with Lorentz as a co-pilot.

Lars Strom
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Check here..

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13537

Lars Strom
01-21-2012, 05:56 PM
The Winners are..Jenkins OZ – Inward ON – Strom OE..NOTTINGHAM 1982

We are now back in Nottingham, UK for the 1982 John Player GP at Holme Pierrepont.
Same great race course..well.. different winner in two classes..but not in the OE/F3..

Lots of fun at the fancy dress party..The Brits are pretty crazy in a fun way some times..!!!!!

The best news for me is from Bryan Scott and his dad Simon..I asked for pictures and look what they found..The # 1 Burgess in the start, race and back to the pit.
Thanks a lot to the Scott family and BCS Racing Images..

The Powerboat & Waterskiing report is done by Andrew Bill..Thank you to.

mintominto
01-24-2012, 05:13 AM
Great stuff Lars, looks like a Selva running in the start picture, can you remember how it performed?

Lars Strom
01-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Thanks mintominto..
We where still running methanol 1982 in the OE/F3 class and the Selva OE engine was pretty good..but not good enough to win..
I for sure remember that the driver of the Selva boat was one of the two Selva brothers..but always mixed them up..
We use to have lots of fun togheter..after the races..!!
Two more pictures from Nottingham, 1982..
Jepp..Thanks Bryan/Simon Scott..

The best news for me is from Bryan Scott and his dad Simon..I asked for pictures and look what they found..The # 1 Burgess in the start, race and back to the pit.
Thanks a lot to the Scott family and BCS Racing Images..

PS..One more thing..the blue #5 boat is a Danish built Molgaard..

mintominto
01-31-2012, 04:19 AM
Thank you Lars,

Great photos, a real shame the OE/F3 class no longer exists in Europe.

Lars Strom
02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks Mintominto,

I think OE/F3 was by far the most fun race class..

Lars Strom
02-06-2012, 08:37 AM
.I remember this race very well .. blown gear case in one heat..changed my gear case between the heats but was not quite ready in time for the next heat ..
The organizers delayed the start a few minutes..so I made it out to the start.

That made my friend Bosse little upset .. if I remember correctly ..!!
I ended up winning the race..4 heat and three counts.!!

Jepp..That’s me (second picture) checking out the engine..was not sure if it was the power head or year case. I was lucky..it was the gear case..you are not allowed to change power head.

Sorry for Swedish in the newspaper..and Thanks to Bengt Martinsson for the newspaper clip..

Lars Strom
02-21-2012, 05:42 AM
U.I.M POWERBOAT PROMOTION FILM 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDeTP2BDE4Y

Lars Strom
02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I am pretty sure this is in Casale Monferrato, Italy 1983
A replacement race for the one in Spain that was canceled, because the race course was unsafe.
Look like it is David Burgess in red helping Rick Frost (shorts) launching the black Trimate/Burgess/Johnson F1-V8 boat..
More Casale pictures soon..

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/historien-om-hur-det-startade-i-stor-skala-for-mig/

Master Oil Racing Team
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
As always, these inside stories and pics are great Lars. They bring back memories to all the fun and greetings when everyone starts arriving to the race course, setting up pits, unloading, ect cetera. Then the getting together the night before the race. Thanks for an unusual picture Lars.

boatmark59
02-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Wow, as I type it is 2:26-am, and I think I started reading this thread about 9:30!! Once you start you cannot stop. Many thanks Lars for sharing your stories. I hope you will continue.

Many friends show up in your stories. I was only involved in US racing, but worked for Nick Cripps when he had a US Champ Boat team with Ted Jones. (I think Nick turns 70 this week . . . good gawd!) I worked with Michael Werner, Cees, Steve Kertin and several others when they raced here in the 80's, so it was great to see their earlier things. A lot of fun was had the year Nick did his Nassau / Miami races with the boats all shipped from europe.

I wonder if we ever met? I kept seeing Bo Nilisson's name and thinking it was someone I should know . . . then saw a photo, and realized THAT'S BO! About 20 years ago he rented an office in Ft. Lauderdale at a friends marina (SunDance). I can't help wondering if we had lunch together many times and I didn't realize who you were.

I had a management position at one of the OMC boat companies at the very end. I have some opinions about who to blame, but as I still have to make a living in the industry, its better I keep my trap shut. But I hope you, and some of the others a generation or so older than I will continue to expand on what you saw and know about the last years. I think many on BRF would also love to hear some inside views.

Thanks again Lars.

(Off the subject - - That photo of Billy with a Yamaha on his fish boat is just wrong on so many levels. I don't care what corporate agenda we are on this month, someone in Fond Du Lac should be strung up by his privates for letting that happen.)
Ok, I feel better now. Whew! :eek:

Lars Strom
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks boatmark59.

That was a very nice post..I talked to Bo Nilsson Sunday..his birthday..

Look at this picture..!!

This is from MarineMax Christmas party in Stuart December 2011..
Yes..It is Ted Jones and me.

boatmark59
02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
That's our Teddy. Although, half the man we used to know. If you know what I mean.:D

Lars Strom
02-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Click here for more Casale pictures.

http://svera.se/blogg/2012/02/26/f1-v8-casale-monferrato-italy-1983/

Lars Strom
02-26-2012, 03:40 PM
The F1-V8 Gold Team/Benson & Hedges run by Cees Van Der Velden 1983/84.

Click here for more pictures..http://svera.se/blogg/2012/02/26/the-f1-v8-gold-teambenson-hedges-run-by-cees-van-der-velden-198384/

Master Oil Racing Team
02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I think so too Lars.

Lars Strom
02-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks Wayne,

I maybe need to explain this a little bit better..

I got the Gold Team/Benson&Hedges sweater from Christer Rosenholtz at the Miami Boat Show last week.
He came from Sweden to visit..
Christer´s father Roland was the Officer of the Day at the Stockholm F1-V8 GP
1983 and 1984.
Also the President of the Swedish Power Boat Federation back then.

Cees Van Der Velden gave Roland the sweater at the race in Sweden 29 years ago.

This morning I asked Carina to try it on and took the picture..!!
http://svera.se/blogg/2012/02/26/the-f1-v8-gold-teambenson-hedges-run-by-cees-van-der-velden-198384/

Ron Hill
02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
The first tunnel boat I ever drove went 7 MPH. Ted May and I finished 3rd int he Six Hours of Paris that year....though we made more laps that he 2nd place boat.

My Scotti with a Super Strangler would run 107 MPH, I actually got in the Evinrude 100 MPH Club going 108 MPH.

Brad Miller's CrazyHorse Molinari with a CCC, V-6 Evinrude would run 122 MPH.

I decided afer the 1979 Parker 9 Hour that I could die driving a tunnel boat.

A V-4 went 107 MPH. A V-6 went 122 MPH. I have no idea how fast a V-8 would have gone. Climbing in a V-8 without a capsule is something I can't imagine.

I do know that twin V-8 Race Motors on a 34 foot Scarab would go 94 MPH and burn 130 gallons an hour...

Lars, really don't know you wife...but she does fill out a T-Shirt properly!!!

I know there are others that find it hard to believe that anyone could have driven a V-8 without a capsule.

It took some "BALLS" to drive those V-8 Outboards that is for sure! Something I need had the balls to do!!!

Thanks for posting!

Lars Strom
03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Pretty risky business to drive the F1-V8 without any safety back then..
Well..life was risky in many ways..!!

Read more here..!!:)..maybe in trouble..!!..

http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/more-picture-from-italy/

Lars Strom
03-03-2012, 04:25 PM
More info about this picture from a race in Italy here..a pretty nice place for racing.

http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/hmm-i-got-this-picture-from-franca-protti-in-italy-a-few-days-ago/

Lars Strom
03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
F3..AKAI/Burgess/Evinrude cc

more here.. http://svera.se/blogg/2012/01/21/the-winners-are-molinari-oz-seebold-on-strom-oe-nottingham-1981/

Lars Strom
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I just found a Race Program from the ON World championship race in Skokloster, Sweden 1972.
On top of that a friend of mine have some pictures from that weekend.
Two of them show Cesare Scotti and his white #9 race boat with an Evinrude..

Click here and scroll all the way down to see Scotti..in his boat
Yes I did race there in the SE class.
The program is in Swedish but you can see all the ON drivers..

http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/vm-racerbat-klass-on-skokloster-1972-komplett-program/

Mark Poole
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I see Werner is listed as driving a Schulze with a Chrysler. I thought stackers were not allowed in Europe. Maybe an engine without the stacks?

Lars Strom
03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi Mark Poole,

Don't remember what type of boat/engine Werner used in Sweden 1972..maybe this one..??..:p
From Berlin Six Hours a few years earlier..!!..

Yes boat #135 is Werner..

Lars Strom
03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Many friends show up in your stories. I was only involved in US racing, but worked for Nick Cripps when he had a US Champ Boat team with Ted Jones. (I think Nick turns 70 this week . . . good gawd!) I worked with Michael Werner, Cees, Steve Kertin and several others when they raced here in the 80's, so it was great to see their earlier things. A lot of fun was had the year Nick did his Nassau / Miami races with the boats all shipped from europe.

:

Hi again boatmark59

Today is Nick Cripps Birthday..!! yes 70..

Happy Birthday..

boatmark59
03-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Happy Birthday - Nicholas John Bainsford Cripps ! !

Mark Poole
03-20-2012, 12:16 AM
I saw video of the wreck where he hit the point at Bristol 1982. He was thrown clear of everything and totally unhurt. Boat was destroyed. So, Happy Birthday!!

Lars Strom
03-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Good news for boatracing in the UK..
Nick Cripps and I raced here many times..

F2 returns to the UK after a 10 year absence

This is very good news..National Water Sports Centre, Holme Pierrepont was my favorite place for power boat racing in England

Read more here..http://svera.se/blogg/2012/03/20/f2-returns-to-the-uk-after-a-10-year-absence/

boatmark59
03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
I saw video of the wreck where he hit the point at Bristol 1982. He was thrown clear of everything and totally unhurt. Boat was destroyed. So, Happy Birthday!!

Nick walked away, but not actually un-hurt. He had a fractured leg. He ended up with one of those removable casts.

We were just in the process of rigging two new Hodges for him and Ted Jones in the states. (Remember the Bacardi boats) They were painted identical except for the driver names, numbers, and flags on the cowlings. The week after Nicks Bristol adventure we went to an IOGP race in Ironton Ohio. We had both boats on a stack trailer, but Nick's in reality wasn't ready. For the first day and a half of testing we told everyone Nick was going to take off the cast and drive. Then we would swap the cowlings back and forth while Ted tested his boat sometimes as Ted, and other times as Nick. Much humor ensued.

Lars Strom
03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
I stopped by MarineMax in Stuart yesterday and talked old racing with Ted Jones..!!
Jepp..this is his sales office..

Lars Strom
04-09-2012, 11:24 AM
More pictures and info here.

http://svera.se/blogg/2012/04/09/a-visit-to-seebold-racing-1996/

Lars Strom
04-15-2012, 05:05 AM
“The Boat House”…OMC´s old racing building in Belgium have a new life..!!
Click below for more info and picture,

http://svera.se/blogg/2012/04/15/the-boat-house-omc%C2%B4s-old-racing-building-in-belgium-have-a-new-life/

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Oh how I hated testing there. Very smooth & attempting to get the most out of the rig for Jack Leek's clip board. As you very well know you had little chance to watch the water & your bow attitude as the tach was beteen your legs & speedo on the dash. Evert time I went out I thought that I was going to blow over.

Lars Strom
05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks to Solveig I now have pictures of my first powerboat 1967..!!:)

Read more here..http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/my-first-power-boat/

Lars Strom
05-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Lots of fun the last couple of days here at the Larina Ranch..
The "milk drinking champ" is always fun and we went boating at Lake of the Ozarks.

Here is a few pictures..
Well..when it comes to boating..I am the driver..!!;);)

EDIT..I forgot the last picture here..A.J. Foyt and Kenny Brack in the Indy winners circle 1999.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
You always have something interesting for us Lars, and the pictures are always add thousands of words. Thanks.

BTW, your boat would make some great wakes for surfing.;):D.

Lars Strom
06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
The Swede Erik Stark crashed bad at practice..but came back and won the race..

Check this video..http://svera.se/blogg/2012/06/25/the-erik-stark-f-2-crash-at-stockholm-gp-2012/

1969Merc800ShortShaft
06-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Whats he up to these days?

Lars Strom
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi and thanks for asking.

Bo used to sell new Mariner and Evinrude at his outboard place in Pompano Beach.

He is back in Sweden now and are running a Hotel..but his big hobby is horse racing.
He lives on his own farm outside Karlsborg in Sweden..

I visited him there some time ago..

Here is pictures..

Jepp..it is Bo and his tractor and horses

Lars Strom
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
This is his race horse # 8 winning in Sweden..Bo is to the right next to the winner..!!

Lars Strom
07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
My visit to his farm 2010..from the left..me, Bo and my Dad..

Master Oil Racing Team
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the pictures Lars. It's great to see the one of your Dad. I don't know Bo, but I thank you for what you continually add to the history of boat racing. You bring a very personal touch that all boat racers know.

Lars Strom
07-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks Wayne,

I think you like this one..!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bo have always been lots of fun to hang out with...

We had many many hard races together in the SE class and I was most of the time the lucky winner.

When I turned 50 a few years ago, Bo had a very long speech about how much taller I was..then him....!! (First picture)..

That is not right..Bo is a way bigger and taller person then me..so I was waiting to see where he was heading with this long speech..

Well..at the end he got to this..
At the price giving after the races..I was taller than him.. Bo was most of the time second..
( Second picture..example..Bo is in red to the left on me..!!)

Pretty funny and Bo is still one of my best and oldest friends..

boatmark59
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks Wayne,

I think you like this one..!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bo have always been lots of fun to hang out with...

We had many many hard races together in the SE class and I was most of the time the lucky winner.

When I turned 50 a few years ago, Bo had a very long speech about how much taller I was..then him....!! (First picture)..

That is not right..Bo is a way bigger and taller person then me..so I was waiting to see where he was heading with this long speech..

Well..at the end he got to this..
At the price giving after the races..I was taller than him.. Bo was most of the time second..
( Second picture..example..Bo is in red to the left on me..!!)

Pretty funny and Bo is still one of my best and oldest friends..

Hey Lars, were you doing your best to look taller? Dig those platform heels!

Great to hear Bo is doing well. I knew him when he was renting an office on the top floor at SunDance in Ft. Lauderdale. Never a dull moment with Bo in town.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I had some similar shoes back then Boatmark59. It was 1977 and many of my German friends were wearing leather shoes with elevated wooden soles. Elton John was wearing those platform shoes, but I didn't buy into that. My boat racing friends shoes were slip ons. I thought they were cool and when Debbie and I spent our Honeymoon going across Germany, I bought some. I was wearing them on the way to the Pro Nationals in Hinton, West Virginia when we stopped to get gas and heard that Elvis Presley died.

I kind of liked the taller feeling wearing them, but if somebody was chasing you...you better step out and haul a$$. The photo brought me back to those days. I get the feeling that it would be a real kick to just sit back and listen to you guys.

Lars Strom
07-04-2012, 07:53 AM
From Queen Larina. (Lars and Carina)

Ron Hill
07-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Laras, you emigrated from Sweden and immigrated to the USA. You, probably better than 99% of Americans, know what it is like to live somewhere else, then live here. Happy 4th of July, thanks for your great contributions to our country and to BRF.

I'm sure you have some thoughts on our current political scene, but I won't ask.

Keep, keeping us posted with your life.

"Life is good", to quote Lars.

1969Merc800ShortShaft
07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
If Bo & I met face to face again today, we would simply burst out laughing! That's just the way he was/is. He is serious...but also a great comic & was always making you laugh.:) Yes, I remember back in the early 80's, he pulled a huge scam on Mercury Marine in south florida. He was selling hundreds of large horsepower Mercurys outboards, that Mercury shipped to him in bulk in full-size shipping containers. These motors were for "export only" & Bo could buy them for thousands of dollars EACH cheaper from Mercury, because they were for export. But not Bo...No...He was taking them & selling them here in the U.S. via mass marketing, never shipping them out of country. Of course this caught up with him. Customers had warranty issues & brought them to they're local Merc Dealers. Problem was, they all had export serial numbers on the blocks. Merc mailed out a big press release & service bulletins, not to honor any warranties. What a mess! Pissed off alot of Merc Dealers too, due to lost sales, etc. South Florida was rife with craziness back then though, so he fit right in with everyone else! lol :D

Lars Strom
07-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Njaaa..1969Merc800ShortShaft....sorry but that was not the way it happen at all.

First it was Mariner and Evinrude outboards, not Mercury.
The Mariner came from AGB..the Swedish Mariner distributor in Sweden and the Evinrude came from OMC Sweden.
Yes, all the engines was shipped back to the US in containers and sometimes by airplanes.

Bo did nothing wrong except found a way to buy new outboards for less..

Yes..there was some angry local dealers, but it was a bad price policy by Brunswick and OMC that made it possible

Powerabout
07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Njaaa..1969Merc800ShortShaft....sorry but that was not the way it happen at all.

The Mariner came from AGB..the Swedish Mariner distributor in Sweden and the Evinrude came from OMC Sweden.
Yes, all the engines was shipped back to the US in containers and sometimes by airplanes.

Yes..there was some angry local dealers, but it was a bad price policy by Brunswick and OMC that made it possible
A bit like Yamaha that dumped them all over the world....
( but were smart enough to start selling prop rated engines against asleep Americans marketing crank rated so every 115 yam went better then a 115 evi/merc etc at the time)

Lars Strom
07-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Here and a few more posts forward is a short story about selling outboards that have been traveled the world..!! ..Page # 42..

My racing and selling outboards had a big connection..
No racing without selling outboards..and no outboard sales without racing..:)

This is a interesting letter..
1980 OMC slowly started to understand that they done the wrong thing in Europe by taking over the distributorship in every country.
Billy Huzell was now selling lots of Suzuki outboards instead of Evinrude.
So I got a visit by Robert F. Wallace from OMC in July of 1980

This was also the start for OMC to cut prices in Europe..specially in Sweden to keep the market shares.

Well..My favorite President.. Ronald Reagan came to power and made the dollar really strong..
I was paying way less dealer net for Evinrude in Sweden than US dealers..
(In Swedish currency)
That is how my export back to US started in 1982..

My little outboard business in Stockholm find a way to sell over 10,000 large OMC outboards back to the US over a few years..
Can not give all the details but the engines was sold in California and Florida.
This made many US dealers mad/angry at OMC..and lots of fun and interesting things happen..
We did not stop with only OMC..lots of Mariner outboards also find the way back to the US..

Powerabout
07-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Were they Belgium or US engines?
( surley not OZ ones?)
(We only sent them to Iran/Iraq I thought or is that still a secret)

Lars Strom
07-06-2012, 06:47 AM
US made engines..in Belgium they only assembly up to 70 hp..all parts came from the USA except for the stinky Euro 4 hp..!!

1969Merc800ShortShaft
07-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Not 100% true my friend. The engines never left the U.S. Why ship them back & forth? He sold under the name of Scan Marine in the 80's, Accu Marine in the 90's. I think we both know Bo a little too well, if you know what I mean, lol. ;)

Lars Strom
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Well..I know exactly where Bo and Scan Marine got all the new outboard from.

The export from Sweden of US made outboards ended when OMC and Brunswick
stopped it by rising the dealer net pricing in Scandinavia.
The drop of the value of the US dollar was another reason..

Contact Bo Nilsson direct so he can clear this up for you....Here is his e-mail address..bosse@hotellwettern.se

Lars Strom
07-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Pretty fancy Skater 40 SS next to us at the Marina..

Lucky think the boat is to loud..!!

Click here for pictures and more..http://svera.se/blogg/2012/07/14/pretty-fancy-skater-40-ss-next-to-us-at-the-marina/

Lars Strom
07-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Today we lost a very good friend of ours..
Bob Morgan lost his life in a Powerboat racing accident in Key West.
So did Jeff Tillman.

R.I. P.

Picture show Bob and my wife Carina a few weeks ago..

Bob Morgans 55 year racing history is up for sale..

Lars Strom
07-15-2012, 04:09 PM
A Swedish success, “propped into racing” by a Norwegian 1973

Click below for more..
http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/historien-om-hur-det-startade-i-stor-skala-for-mig/

Lars Strom
07-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I found this picture with help of Jack Ottobrini and asked David Burgess to tell us the story..
Here it is the answer from the famous boat builder..

Click on the blue text for the true story..

http://svera.se/blogg/2012/07/17/extremely-nice-burgessevinrude-cc-f-3oe-race-boat/

sharpeye Mike
07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
According to my frensh, the boat was built to surpass the 120 mph mark with a 850 cc race motor . I wonder if they achived their goal. Good stuff Lars
Mike

Lars Strom
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Party time..!! Thanks MarineMax

John Schubert T*A*R*T
07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Party time..!! Thanks MarineMax

Lars,

You should come to the boatracersreunion in Depue next week for a party of attendees that raced in the 60's - actually current drivers. Billy Seebold is the MC ask him about it.

Would love to have you & your wife attend.

John Schubert

Master Oil Racing Team
07-21-2012, 09:29 AM
I agree with John Lars. You and Carina need to be there because I need you to autograph a picture for my collection.:cool::D

Lars Strom
07-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Lars,

You should come to the boatracersreunion in Depue next week for a party of attendees that raced in the 60's - actually current drivers. Billy Seebold is the MC ask him about it.

Would love to have you & your wife attend.

John Schubert

First..thank you for inviting us,
I have checked if it is possible for us to travel to the boat racers reunion in Depue this week.
Did see the video when tractors pumping water to make the lake good for racing.

Unfortunately we have to pass this year..but maybe next time.

Regards

Lars and Carina.

Lars Strom
07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Tim Seebold is ready for the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race.
I like Tim´s boat racing records..!!..
Click on blue text for more..

http://svera.se/blogg/2012/07/24/tim-seebold-is-ready-for-the-pikes-peak-international-hill-climb-race/

Lars Strom
08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I think this is from the Stockholm Boat Show early 1974..
Click below for more pictures and info.

http://svera.se/blogg/stockholm-boat-show-early-1974/

Lars Strom
08-03-2012, 06:32 AM
The Shoot Out..Lake of the Ozarks 2012
My favorite power boat event is coming up soon..!!
http://svera.se/blogg/2012/08/03/the-shoot-out-lake-of-the-ozarks/

Lars Strom
08-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Not like a F1-V8 race boat but very useful and fun to live onboard.

Lars Strom
08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Red Bull F1 car singing the National Anthem.

You have to love F1 racing after listening to this.
http://svera.se/blogg/2012/08/17/red-bull-f1-car-singing-the-national-anthem/

Master Oil Racing Team
08-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Interesting Lars. One of the complaints about singing our national anthem from vocalists is that parts of it are too high. I was afraid the key the pit guy was playing it in was so low it might "fall off the pipes";), but it was never close to being too high. That engine had a good power band, but then again it wasn't under a load. A very talented group of guys.:)

Lars Strom
08-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks Master Oil Racing Team.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for Maurizio Schepici and Capoferri Massimo my friends from Italy visiting Nynäshamn, Sweden to race the European 3C Championship..

Here is a few very nice pictures of your beautiful Offshore 3 C race boat.
Click below to see all 6.

http://svera.se/blogg/2012/08/19/for-my-friends-from-italy-visiting-nynashamn-sweden-to-race-the-european-3c-championship/

Lars Strom
08-26-2012, 04:41 PM
“Agent Orange”..a ride in a 150+ mph MTI cat..

http://svera.se/blogg/agent-orange-a-ride-in-a-150-mph-mti-cat-2/

Edit..Updated with video now.

Lars Strom
09-08-2012, 04:28 PM
The Offshore race "Saltsjöloppet" was run today in Stockholm, Sweden.
Lots of pictures here..

http://svera.se/blogg/2012/09/09/saltsjoloppet-2012-pictures/

Lars Strom
09-09-2012, 11:10 AM
One more picture of the Classic boat Fjordling 17'..this was a very popular boat in the sixty´s..A Norweigen design and there is still plenty of old Fjordling around over there.
This one is restored to better than new..

Lars Strom
09-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Click below for more pictures..
http://svera.se/blogg/2012/09/23/boat-racing-around-the-world-in-pictures-this-weekend/

Lars Strom
10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
My SE class Clerici/Evinrude from 1974..
more here..
http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/1974-was-a-very-good-year-for-my-se-class-racing/

Master Oil Racing Team
10-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Lars, that is a very funny story. A lot of times I don't bother to go to the links because it takes too much time, or I think it's not anything more than what I have seen. In this case, go to the link to see the rest of the story.

Lars Strom
10-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks Wayne...Someone hacked in to my web site a few days ago and crashed it..need more time before SVERA.se is up and running again.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Mr. Bill invited my wife Carina for a spin in his F1 two seater 15 -16 years ago..because I refuse to go..;)
This was at Mr. Bill´s big race in Fenton, Missouri that year.

Lars Strom
10-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Thanks to a tremendous job done by Matt.
There is still some more work to do..like direct links and some design fix..
So please enjoy http://svera.se/blogg/om/ again..

Lars Strom
10-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Someone have used my e-mail without permission yesterday and sent out e-mail.
I have a new password now so please erase mail from me yesterday

Lars Strom
10-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Lasse Strom drove his Aspen Burgess to his first Formula I heat victory.

http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/lasse-strom-drove-his-aspen-burgess-to-his-first-formula-i-heat-victory/

Lars Strom
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
A few more pictures from Notthingham and the F3/OE race 1981
My #1..AKAI/Burgess/Evinrude CC

The Winners are..Molinari OZ – Seebold ON – Strom OE..Nottingham 1981
http://svera.se/blog...ottingham-1981/

Lars Strom
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Evinrude Racing pictures over the years

Many more pictures here:
http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/evinrude-racing-pictures-over-the-years/

Smokin' Joe
11-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Very nice Evinrude Havasu placemat, nicer than the one from 1977.

Ron Hill
11-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Many more pictures here:

It was a great time to be young and a boat racer. Actually, anytime is great to be young and a boat racer, the Havasu Outboard World Championships was AMAZING...With current Federal land laws, Havasu would never have become a city. Boat Racing may never see an OUTBOARD race like Havasu again.

Thanks for the memories, Lars!

Smokin' Joe
11-04-2012, 07:08 PM
One of the great pleasures of life was driving 4 hrs. at Havasu. I
won't mention the other great pleasures.

Lars Strom
11-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Many more pictures here:

It was a great time to be young and a boat racer. Actually, anytime is great to be young and a boat racer, the Havasu Outboard World Championships was AMAZING...With current Federal land laws, Havasu would never have become a city. Boat Racing may never see an OUTBOARD race like Havasu again.

Thanks for the memories, Lars!

Thanks to you Ron..I know how much work it is to keep a forum like BRF up and running all the time..

I did not get the opportunity to race the Havasu Outboard World Championships so when we started to travel the USA in a motor coach
Lake Havasu City-Needles,CA to see Jimbo was on top of the list.

Lars Strom
11-12-2012, 10:11 AM
A very nice song about our boat racing friends that lost there life in Key West 2011

http://svera.se/blogg/a-very-nice-song-about-our-boat-racing-friends-that-lost-there-life-in-key-west-2011/

Lars Strom
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Bill Seebold will be inducted into the St. Louis Sports Hall of Fame today.

Click and listening to the interview with Mr. Bill from last month.

http://svera.se/blogg/bill-seebold-will-be-inducted-into-the-st-louis-sports-hall-of-fame-today/

Lars Strom
11-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Got a new picture from Bengt Martinsson..

Stockholm GP 1978..The overall winner in a Delicato SD Class Clerici with Evinrude power..Boat # 1
More here..http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/1978-i-raced-sd-z-on-and-the-oz-class/

Lars Strom
11-25-2012, 07:16 AM
My friend Marcus Weman gave me a few pictures of the black Molinari OE boat with Volvo Penta/Konig engine.

Here they are and the Volvo-Penta/Konig outboard in Paris Six Hours 1977 story.

http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/a-konig-outboard-in-paris-six-hours-1977/

Lars Strom
12-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks Pelle Brolin for pictures from Stockholm GP 1984

My Burgess boat powered by Evinrude F1-V8 and the driver.

More F1-V8 picture here..http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/f1-v8-pictures-mixed/

Lars Strom
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Looking really close at this picture from 1982
Arthur Mosterts #2 F1-V8 Velden with Apen Sponsorship..

I think the yellow arrow is Jim Breckenfield..Not sure how to spell his name right. Jim was the OMC racing boss in Europe that year.
The red arrow is Jim Nerstrom..Well I know how to spell his name..but not 100% sure it is Nerstrom..but pretty sure..!!:D

Lars Strom
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
More famous BRF people in those two pictures..!!
Help me with all the names..

Thanks Jane Spalding for the pictures.

Smokin' Joe
12-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Jim Nerstrom on the left.

More famous BRF people in those two pictures..!!
Help me with all the names..

Thanks Jane Spalding for the pictures.

Lars Strom
12-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Jim Nerstrom on the left.

Bob Spalding next to Nerstrom and Mouse on the right side second picture.

Lars Strom
12-08-2012, 05:32 PM
The third man from the left on the second picture was a mechanic from OMC but do not remember his name.

Smokin' Joe
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Jim, who is on this website, will likely know.

The third man from the left on the second picture was a mechanic from OMC but do not remember his name.

Lars Strom
12-09-2012, 06:47 AM
"Cowboy" Cees Van Der Velden in his Marlboro/Molinari/Merc 1973

Lars Strom
12-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Amsterdam 3 Hours race 1975.
http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/bo-and-i-team-up-for-our-first-trip-to-england-later-1975/

Red arrow..my SE Clerici

Lars Strom
01-03-2013, 06:05 AM
This reminds me of the "good ol days"

A powerful Evinrude lets a Merc bits the dust..!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TECqUzrSmWo

Skoontz
01-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Yup. The whole 4 stroke buzz is nothing more than a bunch of Greenies thinking, well dreaming their heavy dirty oil engulfed 4 strokes are size for size more powerful than what any logical person knows.
You cant beat a 2 stroke, simple as that. Even in motocross, they wont allow a 450 2 stroke run against a 450 4 stroke. They make you run 250 vs a 450. That says it all. And the E-tec is cleaner. I only wish Evinrude would get on board with some forms of racing support. I'm disgusted seeing black motors win everything but there is not a whole lot of choice to be made.....

Lars Strom
01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
This is from Drammen, Norway 1981. My AKAI/Burgess/Evinrude CC.
A very nice place for boat racing.
Thanks Per Simonsen for the picture

Lars Strom
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Evinrude advertising 1983..Me and my brother Lennart.
Thanks to Per Simonsen

Evinrude used my racing success in their advertising.

http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/test/

Lars Strom
02-24-2013, 01:49 PM
From UIM-Monte Carlo today..

Lars Strom
03-17-2013, 12:04 PM
This is from the boating magazine Vene in Finland.
A five page report about the big SE class race in Lappenraanta 1973..
My first big win.. the race that open the door the International boat racing/outboard business for me..

I can only guess what the writing is about..I don't understand Finnish.
My nickname is Lasse Ström in the long story.

My boat is the #99..Roger Jenkins #56.

Here is my own story about this race..

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/historien-om-hur-det-startade-i-stor-skalafor-mig/

Thanks to Olle Åberg..he did dig up this old story.

Lars Strom
03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Bertil Wik of Sweden #12 is missing a piece of the boat. London GP 1985

Picture: Fred Emeny

Lars Strom
03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Swede Lasse Strom #8 in the London GP 1985

Picture: Fred Emeny

Lars Strom
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
This is from Lyon, France 1983..just before the start of the F1-V8 race..

My #8 Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude is next to #9 Roger Jenkins Burgess/Carlsberg/Evinrude.

Powerabout
04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
expensive dock??

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-06-2013, 04:49 AM
That was my first thought as well, then seeing 14 V-8 rigs, what the hell, the rubber dingy's for the dock is a small pitence compared to the engines & boats.

Lars Strom
04-06-2013, 06:54 AM
I think the French company Zodiac was the sponsor of the race..and that is the reason for the Zodiac floating dock.
http://www.zodiacmarineusa.com/

Also remember this was the first time ever I did see and use a fax machine to send info to Sweden after the race..

Powerabout
04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Just where are all those F1 V8 engines hiding these days?

Lars Strom
04-07-2013, 04:42 AM
I sold my F1-V8 engine to a pleasure boat customer in Sweden.
He installed the engine on a Argo Cat...see picture..!!

Flipped it the first day of testing..Later they found the boat at the bottom of the lake but crank shaft and rods had corrosion

The engine is still in Sweden somewhere..

Powerabout
04-07-2013, 05:48 AM
the cyl and c/case is valuable
sand cast with removeable exhaust chest

Lars Strom
04-07-2013, 05:49 AM
The buyer of my F1-V8 Evinrude came in to my outboard shop in Stockholm asking for a V8 Evinrude..I showed him a new production 300 but he pointed at my race engine..

That is the one I want..!!!..I gave him a high price because I did not want to sell it..

Well..he said Yes..and paid for it..

Lars Strom
04-07-2013, 05:58 AM
the cyl and c/case is valuable
sand cast with removeable exhaust chest

Yes..and my powerhead was updated to the later exhaust manifold..see picture..the earlier was flat..

Lars Strom
04-11-2013, 03:49 AM
This is from my first spring testing of the brand new Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude 1983.

Hard to believe it is 30 years ago.. my friend Mats Nystrom is helping out at the dock.

Thanks Anders Jelving for the picture.

Powerabout
04-11-2013, 03:54 AM
Yes..and my powerhead was updated to the later exhaust manifold..see picture..the earlier was flat..
I gotta get one, one day

Lars Strom
04-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Two of the very best racing legends that has left us..

Cesare Scotti of Italy (left) is talking with Cees van der Velden, Holland.

Picture by Bert Huffener

Lars Strom
05-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Our SE class Victory in the Rouen 24 hours 1975

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/our-se-class-victory-in-the-rouen-24-hours-1975/

This was my first race as an Evinrude factory driver for OMC 1975

The racing season in Europe normally starts with the Rouen 24 Hours, but I was invited to South Africa earlier 1975 and drove the famous BP 200..(PB 200 story here)..http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/1975-2/
I was not crazy about being part of the Rouen race but it was part of my contract with OMC

I flew to OMC in Belgium a week before the race to help out rigging the boat.
Important for me to have power trim buttons and some other things my way.
The rules said three drivers per boat and OMC recommended using two OMC test drivers who where my size.

Two SE class Clerici boats was prepared at the OMC factory. One for me and one for Roger Jenkins.
Roger was a fun man to hang out with..strong personality and Roger was in racing to win..but so was I.

We installed head lights and other “funny things” on the boat. Racing non stop for 24 hours means driving at night in the darkness and the commercial barge traffic
was in business 24/7.

When we got there, it was a lot of boats and most of them were thick fiberglass cats run by local French people.

The next surprise was that the race was run clockwise
around the island!!!!
I was not used to right hand turns but raced and won the 2-hour of Duvnäsviken, Sweden the year before.. that was my only experience with right turns in boat racing.
As usual in France were all info in French only, and I understood nothing of what was said at the driver’s meeting, which lasted over an hour.

Paul Kalb..the new racing boss for Europe did not understand anything either but told me that I was responsible for the entire race planning.
Paul wanted me to start the race and hopefully drive the last hours to finish the race.

My plan was 2-hour shifts because lots of incidents happen in the pit.

The Clerici boat turned poorly when heavy but to many stops with 1.5 hour shifts.

We were out testing a number of times at practice..the waves from the commercial barge traffic was bad bad..but one side of the island the water was little bit smoother.

Well remember that famous Leif “Honken” Holmqvist of Sweden drove a V-bottom boat in the SD class and he came and asked me about the crazy water conditions.

His Volvo Penta powered V-bottom behaved strangely on the rough side of the island.
The start was sometime during the middle of the day and lots of boats took off at the same time. I got a great start and was one of the lead boats but on the other side of the island..all the heavy fiberglass cats came flying by in the extremely rough water.
Wow, I needed to slow down and save the equipment for the last hour instead of try to lead in the beginning of the race. Next thing in my head was..I am pretty stupid to be part of this 24 hour race.
Time for cruise control, we refueled and changed drivers a few times in daylight before it got dark, cold and rainy…!!

One of my shifts in the middle of the night went well .. but the next one like 4 a clock in the morning began with a flying experience from a big wave that I could not see on the back of the island.

I landed on top of one another race boat..the driver of that boat was OK but his boat sank..
that was good for me because I could get back to the pit .. where we took the boat out of the water..
Repaired the damage and replaced the gear case/ propeller and then we went back on the water to race further into the darkness…!!
At dawn we were a few laps behind Jenkins and the other SE class leaders.
Jenkins now disappeared from the race..his time for trouble and had to spend sometime on the trailer for repair.
Now there was a chance for us to win, so I drove like a mad man for the last hours of the race.
A Rouen 24 Hours SE class victory was now reality..extremely fun and a perfect start as a factory pilot for Evinrude.

After the race we return to the OMC Bruges to rig a new Burgess boat for the OE/Formula 3 World Championship race in Aix-les-Bains also France.

Lars mega crash at the OMC factory 1975..click below for that story.

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/lars-mega-crash-at-the-omc-factory-1975/

Lars Strom
05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Found an old business card..I guess from 1981.

Lars Strom
05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
The 1979 Paris 6 Hours started in the summer of 1979 when Sture Sjöberg´s OE class Burgess/Alfa Laval/Evinrude CC engine needed service.

The OE powerhead Sture had was not very reliable and Janne at my outboard service department worked hard to found a way make the engine last better.
Sture supplied a miracle three step spray to see better where the cracks on the exhaust bridges/block was and we finally figure out a way to do this in a way so the race engine lasted better.

Sture was busy building his first race boat in the old Alfa Laval building just south of Stockholm.
If I remember right we made a deal that I should test his Burgess/Evinrude engine fixed by Janne in the Drammen GP, Norway and if that turned out good the plan was the race Stures new boat in Paris 6 hours in October.

Well..the engine worked perfect in Drammen and I think I won the race.

Sture was late with the new boat and the last week before Paris, Janne helped him finish up the boat.
We installed the engine from the Burgess boat, steering and the hardware..No time to test the brand new boat.

Sture namned his first boat Potemkin..(famous old Russian battleship)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_battleship_Potemkin

We drove nonstop to Paris and did some testing at practice on the rough river Seine..

I do not really remember the details racing but the new boat worked good in this long tough 6 hour race.

I do remember that John Hill with his new Burgess and next generation Evinrude OE engine was faster then us. John used the Swede Pelle Larson as his co/pilot.

Hill/Larson won the race but Sture and I came in third in a untested boat with the older style less horse power engine.

After the race we where so happy with the result and Sture celebrated by taking the boat hook and slammed it through the deck of the “Potemkin”

The boat was still in the water and started to sink fast..well Janne saved the boat from going under in the dirty river Seine …with the slings and a confused French crane operator.

Well..back in Sweden Sture and I started to make plans for winning the Paris 6 hours 1980.
We now needed to develop a better boat and make sure to have the best power from the Evinrude racing department.

That is a fun and long story coming up next.

I do not have a picture of the “Potemkin” we used in Paris 1979, but this first picture below is Stures Burgess/Alfa Laval/Evinrude and me standing on the dock.

Update…Sture just sent me two old pictures of the Potemkin..from the Tollare grave yard for old race boats. The last two pictures.

Cees van der Velden was the overall winner 1979 and Jimbo McConnell had some problems..!!

Pictures here..http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/potemkin-ended-up-third-in-paris-6-hours-1979/

Lars Strom
05-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Pretty funny Evinrude ad for us who knows what happened in Bristol 1980..!!..:)

Master Oil Racing Team
05-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Can't wait to hear it Lars. I know of some funny things about an ad that didn't happen. Before I every post it, I will PM you because I think you have some inside knowledge from the other side.

This thread has stories behind the scenes and tells details of what we would never hear or read about if we weren't there. Thanks for taking the time to put all this together.

Lars Strom
05-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Wayne..this takes a long answer
We are on the road now traveling from Florida to Lake of the Ozarks, MO..
I get back to this in a few days but Mercury Racing did a really strange announcements in Bristol 1980. That was in my opinion the start of a really big factory war between Merc and OMC.

Lars Strom
05-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Evinrude and Johnson rotary race engines in Europe.

Picture by Wilfried Weiland

Master Oil Racing Team
05-30-2013, 08:10 PM
So Wilfried took these pictures Lars? I haven't seen these before. If Rotary John doesn't tell us about these pictures maybe you can get Wilfried to tell us about them.

Lars Strom
05-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Rotary John do not know Wayne..here is little more from Facebook.

Lars Strom
07-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Holme Pierrepont postcard, early 1980's.
Photo: Rod Richardson

The Winners are..Molinari OZ – Seebold ON – Strom OE..Nottingham 1981

http://svera.se/blog...ottingham-1981/

Lars Strom
09-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Clerici race boats back in the winner’s circle..!!

http://svera.se/blogg/clerici-race-boats-back-in-the-winners-circle

Ozzie
09-09-2013, 03:48 AM
54912Hi Lars,
I thought you might like some more memories from the 70's.
This one was when you were in South Africa in April 1975 at the Riviera Aquatic Club BP 200.
Some names you may remember - Jimbo McConnell, Bill Badsey, Zimmerman, Gerry Drake, George Wragg, Conradie.
(Sorry I can't seem to get this photo to post upright??? )

Lars Strom
09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks a lot Ozzie..my South Africa race 1975 was a big thing for me..I was so happy to get invited.
Here is more about the PB 200 race,
I still have the telex and the letter from South Africa.

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/1975-2/

Lars Strom
10-12-2013, 07:45 PM
From my friend Sean Barnard. Thank you.

All painted in 1983!!! by my dad

Lars Strom
11-03-2013, 07:12 AM
My SE Clerici from 1975.
The Swede Thomas Ericsson purchased the boat after the 1975 season. Thomas flip happen in the Skokloster race 1976. I told him a few times to trim the engine in..
but he learned the hard way.
Thomas was OK after the incident..but the Clerici needed some wood work..

Picture by Kent Johnsson

Lars Strom
11-14-2013, 05:43 PM
From the OFF meeting 2013 in Tavares, Florida.

I finally got to meet Rich Luhrs..(T2x) and he is on top of Merc race engine history like few others.
Well..both Circuit and Offshore racing. Rich is also doing lots of work to keep boat racing history alive.
Thanks for a really fun weekend

I just received this photo from our Canadian race friend Mark Rotharmel.
Rich Luhrs to the left of me.

Smokin' Joe
11-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Here's a picture of a former johnson dealer who, along with Johnny Sanders
and Tommy Posey, drove a Johnson rotary model in Texas races.

I wonder if the Canadian Rotharmel is related to the Pennsylvania Rothermels
(Rotärmel, aus Rothenburg ob der Tauber). A Pa. Rothermel is shown in the middle of the photo.

Photo from the 2013 AOMCI Rothermel meet.

Evinrude and Johnson rotary race engines in Europe.

Picture by Wilfried Weiland

Lars Strom
11-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Jimbo McConnell and Johny Sanders in Paris 6 hours 1977 driving a Molinari/Evinrude V6 CCC
Race #35.

Lars Strom
11-19-2013, 05:29 PM
My first and only F1-V8 race in a new Velden safety cockpit boat 1985.

Out of retirement..!!

In the middle of the 1985 F1-V8 World series I dusted of my fast Burgess without safety cockpit..charged the batteries..updated the Evinrude V8..took it to the London GP to be part of the “mega money” series now promoted by Pro-One.

OMC gave Pro One a ton of money 1985 to get the series going again after all the set backs 1984.

I did not have the latest Evinrude V8 with the fuel injection and the 6 inch mid section, but my 1984 Evinrude V8 had plenty of power.
The Burgess was extremely fast on smooth water..but London Victoria Docks was always rough

Realized after a few laps in London..this is still crazy.. no more racing for me without safety cell.

Hodges and Velden was now building new F1-V8 boats with safety cells and Pro One offered me to drive one of Team Veldens boats with safety cell in the Antwerpen, Belgium race.

Jumped in an airplane, heading for Antwerpen and started practice driving strapped in..a very different feeling. The new silver painted Velden boat was very nice built.
We worked on the cockpit seat to make it fit my body better, but run out of time to get it 100% right before the race.

A very different and interesting race and maybe time to go back to full time F1-V8 racing 1986..
Well..went to the last race in Sevilla, Spain and was standing in the pit watching the 1985 F1-V8 World Champ Bob Spalding barrel roll in the turn..a very sad incident.
A few weeks later OMC pulled the plug on European F1-V8 racing after Pro One spent the 3 years promotion budget in one season..
I think 4-5 Million dollar.

The F1-V8 serie went full time racing in the USA and that was the end for my F1-V8 racing.
Went back to drive F-3 racing and some Offshore.

http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/my-first-and-only-f1-v8-race-in-a-new-velden-safety-cockpit-boat-1985/

Master Oil Racing Team
11-19-2013, 08:21 PM
That boat looks like it would be really fast, but what about turning? It may just be the length of the pickleforks, but it looks very slim. You keep coming up with these pictures to show us your story. It's great.

jackie wilson
11-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Lasse did the right thing and quit the carnage. Whilst still standing.
Percy and Bob and many more didn't.

Lars Strom
02-04-2014, 06:53 AM
From FB today...John Sherlock's photo.

John..I know the driver of the #8 Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude V8..;)

Remember this race in Pittsburgh 1983 very well.
Qualified third and had a big fight in the race with Buck Thorton.
He was racing a Johnson V8
Buck lost the bottom of the boat and sank with only a few laps left.
I think we raced 50 minutes, but needed fuel for 1.5 hours.
Yellow flags etc..
Molinari won in his Molinari/Martini/Evinrude V8

A great race..but as always in Pittsburgh..very rough conditions.

PS.
Look at all the spectators..over 300,000 was there to see the race...Well..Three Rivers Regatta

Lars Strom
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
A fun lunch with John Schubert and other well known boat racers…

… at Sailors Return in Stuart, Florida

Click on the link below for full story and many more pictures..

http://svera.se/blogg/a-fun-lunch-with-john-schubert-and-other-well-known-boat-racers/

Master Oil Racing Team
02-09-2014, 07:50 PM
When I congratulated John on his induction into the APBA Honor Squadron last week I told him that he had inspired me to clean up my darkroom so I could file old posts and find what I was looking for. I told John then that I had found some stuff from a 1973 Italian book with compilations of all kinds of history. As I looked through it I found John, Ron Hill, you and others and I told John I was going to find some time to post the entries in the appropriate threads. It is all Italian, but I thing most everyone will know that it is all about. It was just some of the history I saved and wanted to share it. Look for it soon.

Lars Strom
02-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Miami Boat Show 2014..See what friends talked me into..

Well..Mercury is now selling Merc Verado factory painted white..There is two white..off white and just white..maybe next option is Evinrude Blue..;)

Lars Strom
02-24-2014, 07:35 AM
This is Paris 6 Hours 1979..the year Mercury raced the T-4...;)

Thanks Ove Torkildsen for the poster

Paris Six Hours 1979… OMC overall win. Beats the Merc T-4 with a 3 liter V-6

http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/paris-six-hours-1979-omc-overall-win-beats-the-merc-t-4-with-a-3-liter-v-6/

Lars Strom
02-26-2014, 06:38 PM
F1-V8 from 1982..

The #21 boat is Guido Caimi..#56 is Ettore Cagnani and #171 is Luigi Valdono.

Lars Strom
03-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Maybe time for Offshore racing in KW again..!!

Offshore in Key West November 1999...."To Lars"...;)

Master Oil Racing Team
03-01-2014, 08:01 PM
How did Carina like the races?

Lars Strom
03-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Nja..Carina like Top Fuel Hydro drag racing and did not have a need for a Playboy Offshore racing poster saying To Carina...:D

Lars Strom
03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
From Powerboat Magazine 1984

Lars Strom
03-16-2014, 05:27 AM
A pretty unique picture..

Barry Woods #35 in a Seebold/Evinrude F1-V8
Parker Enduro 1984

Lars Strom
03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Today in Tavares, Florida.

Rich Luhrs asked me if I fit in his Molinari/Evinrude CCC
..and yes I did..bring back good old memories.
Drove a sister boat in Paris 6 hours 1978 with Angelo Vassena.

Here is that long story..http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/paris-6-hours-1978-started-in-finland-for-me/

shadowcat
03-24-2014, 06:41 PM
..... great photo's Lars.........keep up the great work!

Lars Strom
04-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Lake Havasu 1970 Complete story with pictures and result.

http://svera.se/blogg/lake-havasu-1970-complete-story-with-pictures-and-result/

Lars Strom
04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
My #8 Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude V8 1983..not sure what race.

Many more mixed F1-V8 pictures here..http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/f1-v8-pictures-mixed/

Lars Strom
04-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Ben Robertson 1987

Powerabout
04-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Hi Lars
Were the last of those V8 boats wood or glass?

Lars Strom
04-10-2014, 06:45 AM
I get back to you about that Powerabout..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garbrecht´s boys flipped their lids…!!! – USA F1 Cincinnati 1988

Story and photo by Mark Spencer..Thank you.

Click below for full story.

http://svera.se/blogg/garbrechts-boys-flipped-their-lids-usa-f1-cincinnati-1988/

Lars Strom
04-11-2014, 01:55 AM
Hi Lars
Were the last of those V8 boats wood or glass?

Velden Racing/Ben Robertson built some composite boats 1988/89
Read under the picture.

Powerabout
04-11-2014, 03:40 AM
I wonder if they are still around
I want one as they are big enough to carry a v8.
How long were they?

Lars Strom
04-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Powerabout,

When I visited Ben Robertson in his shop (Jacksonboro, South Carolina) a few years ago all the Velden Racing molds was there inside the building.

Maybe he can build you a brand new..!!

Powerabout
04-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Ok, next project

Lars Strom
04-11-2014, 04:16 PM
USA F1 1989 Toledo.

Rob Wood of Ontario, Canada the great winner.

Lars Strom
04-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Larry Everitt´s F1-V8 boat #25 and Gary Garbrecht.

Powerabout
04-14-2014, 07:26 AM
anyone have a contact email for Benny

Lars Strom
04-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Here:

Mobile Phones

(843) 542-4448

(843) 893-2286

PO Box 57
Jacksonboro, SC, United States 29452

Lars Strom
04-16-2014, 05:25 AM
Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude F1-V8 sticker from 1983

Lars Strom
04-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Today Wilfried Weiland of Austria came to visit us.
We talked about old boat racing and his race in Texas long time ago.

Wilfried is still working with Regal Boats in Orlando handling overseas sales.
Thanks for stopping by and see you soon again.

Well..I also found a interesting photo in his album..!!..(second picture)..

Master Oil Racing Team
04-26-2014, 08:30 PM
My wife Debbie and I had only been married four months. We spent our Honigmonde in Berlin racing at the Weltpokal in 1977. That was when you snuck in to Konig Motorenbau to pick up your Volvo Penta/Konig Lars. Four months later, our hosts for our honeymoon penthouse, Jenny Scwhartz-Nitka and head of ADAC/Berlin went with us to the APBA PRO National Championships at Hinton, West Virginia. Mike Ward, and I think Wilfried, or maybe Leif Ahlborg also sent me that photo. I never showed it to Debbie....at least not yet.

I have emailed Wilfried back and forth a few times over the years. I tried to get him to come to Corpus Christi when there was a big international boat show four or five years ago, but he was traveling all over Europe and the Middle East with his boat business.

He told me that he wants to come back to Laredo some day where he won the OD World Championship in 1878. It's not a good place to come right now without some guidance.

I told Wilfried to let me know when he is coming and I will be there. When he does, maybe you and Karina can meet with Debbie and myself.

Lars Strom
04-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Wayne, is there a thread here at BRF I can read about the OD World Championship race in Laredo 1978.??

Master Oil Racing Team
04-27-2014, 07:17 PM
The OD World Championships in 1978 were in Berlin Lars. I believe they were on the Havel River. Very rough. Had barges to block the wind, but they could not stop the rollers. Erwin Zimmerman won, but I believe Wilfried did very well. Erwin raced a tunnel. I had a Butts hydro but the rollers were impossible. I was flying up out of the cockpit during testing. I went out for another run for the cameras, but we sat on the bank for the race. That article was published in Powerboat in 1978.

As far as the UIM 1980 OD World Championships, there have been posts about it, and some pictures, but I don't think there is anything extensive. I had been writing about different things back and forth over the years, and I finally decided that to honor my Dad Baldy, without whom I would never have raced boats, I have been doing the Baldy story as it happened. I miss some things and have to back up sometimes, and as I write new things come to light as people call or email me. For instance I just learned something new yesterday from a visitor which I plan to post tonight if I can. The OD World Championships is Laredo is a big story. We had run a trial run in 1979, the year before, to see if the community would support it and they did. It's in a semi desert country and the population flocks to water sports if they know about it, and we had good publicity. I had an article published in a regional magazine that went to all hotels within that region that were in all motels rooms at the time of the race. It turned out bittersweet. We had a great representation of racers for such a remote location. The representative for Federacion de Motonautica from Mexico was there as well as news media from both side of the border. We had two deaths there though...one in the pits and one on the race course that cast a pall over the whole event before the racing even started the next day. I have lots of stuff to post and talk about when I get to that, but it may be awhile. If there's anything in particular you are interested in, please PM me (if it still works) or e mail me.

One thing I have been putting together is the 1978 OE World Championship races in Dayton where UIM and OMC illegally changed the fuel rule from "fuel is free" to where OE had to run gasoline. I have files scattered all throughout my cabinets but I am compiling them so I can post them and make comments from my notes in chronological order. You are going to love this and I am looking forward to your comments because it was in the time frame from when you left OMC to Volvo/Konig, the back to OMC.I got lots of responses from all around the world.

Lars Strom
05-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Wayne..I got this from Wilfried Weiland today.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-02-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't think I got a copy of that article Lars. The man presenting the trophy and shaking the hand of Wilfried is Elmer Buckley. He was special assistant to Mayor of Laredo Angelo Tatangelo.

Steve Jones and myself representing Hydroplanes International did most of the leg work on putting this race together first met with Elmer Buckley at the Elk's Lodge in Laredo, he told us they had the best lobster's that could be had. Several weeks later, my Dad, Steve and I met at the Elk's Lodge which overlooked the lake where the race would take place. Elmer had plates of lobster for each of us. It was indeed as good as I have ever had on the coast, and better than any inland restaurants have served.

I started a thread about Wilfried some time back. He sent me some photos via e mail, but I don't do good transferring those. I haven't looked at the thread in awhile, but I posted some pictures of the OD World Championships there. I think I may have also posted some pictures and stories about that in my thread "An Amazing Story" following the story about the Konig we bought from Marshall Grant.

I've got lots of pictures of Wilfried.

Lars Strom
05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
From Lappeenranta 1973.

Thanks Anssi Haverinen for the pictures.

My first big win in the SE 99 Clerici/Evinrude FT10s

The European Championship SE race with around 40 entry's..

More here..

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/historien-om-hur-det-startade-i-stor-skalafor-mig/

Lars Strom
05-15-2014, 06:50 PM
A pair of Evinrude E-Tec 150hp makes me feel like back home again..!!

Yes..a used Seaswirl Striper 2601 Center Console with 2 X 150 Evinrude is making me smile again.

It is a some time ago I owned a boat with Evinrude outboards.
The motors are not brand new but only 180 hours.
Well..the plan is to put the engines to the test and many of my friends know that Evinrude has never let me down.

More about the fishing boat later.

http://svera.se/blogg/a-pair-of-evinrude-e-tec-150hp-makes-me-feel-like-back-home-again/

Lars Strom
06-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Successful outboard racing/sales and loyalty pays off.

I am so grateful that BRP has picked me to be one of five Evinrude Ambassadors.

We all know that Ole Evinrude started the first outboard production 1909..but this is not about history..it is about the future and the new line of Evinrude Outboards being
introduced in Milwaukee, Wisconsin June 13 2014.

The world is going to be there to see and test drive the new powerful outboards.

My lovely wife Carina and I are really looking forward to get started with a new chapter in our life..

Click below for more..

http://svera.se/blogg/successful-outboard-racingsales-and-loyalty-pays-off/

Powerabout
06-03-2014, 07:03 PM
great stuff
I Couldnt think of the better choice
just make sure they make cowls look as good as that 135 in the background
then make some epa race motors like a 60 for the sst45 class, 90 for F3 and a competitor to the Merc 200xs
15" mids and gearcases with screw in cover nuts and a few ratio choices

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I agree with Powerabout Lars. You and Carina will represent BRP well as an Ambassador. Congratulations.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Congratulations Lars, BRP made a good choice. While in Milwaukee, ask to talk with Brent Backus with BRP's customer service group. Good friend of mine & current Stock Outboard racer, but of course, much younger than me.

Wondering what Jackie will contribute regarding your esteemed appointment!

Lars Strom
06-04-2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks Powerabout, Master Oil Racing Team and John Schubert.

Well..I don't think Jackie Wilson know about this, but if/when he does.. Jackie is going to continue saying that Evinrude need a two liter racing outboard..:)
(we all know that nobody including Merc build a two liter racing outboard anymore..!!)...

Smokin' Joe
06-04-2014, 06:50 AM
I agree with Powerabout Lars. You and Carina will represent BRP well as an Ambassador. Congratulations.

Wayne, speaking of BRP Evinrude, due to several old OMC engineering connections and SST45 racing, our son Hans (22, mech. engineering student at Tech. Univ. Vienna) has a summer internship at Rotax in Austria working on kart motor development. Dream job for him. I worked summers for the phone co.!
When I asked our main contact/friend about a BRP internship for Hans he asked 'Where does Hans want to work, Milwaukee, Stuart, or Austria?' Joe

PS for Lars. Following me, Hans speaks some Norwegian.
PS for Joe Rome, since he got you guys into driving suits-Hans is wearing my 1979 Indy Hinchman suit.
I warn him not to get grease on it!

Lars Strom
06-11-2014, 03:04 PM
My first assignment as the Evinrude Ambassador starts Friday morning.

Leaving early for the trip to Milwaukee.
Yes..my lovely wife Carina is also going.
This is going to be a very interesting weekend..

Lars Strom shared Evinrude's photo/info

Pictured: The staff at Milwaukee's Wisconsin Center prepare the venue for this weekend's Club BRP 2015 Evinrude event and its big announcement.
Not pictured: The big announcement.

Stay tuned. .

Lars Strom
06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
The Evinrude factory today.

This was very fun to see outside the Evinrude Outboard factory today..
I am one of very few that has raced the Evinrude F1-V8 engine.
This bronze statue is the 1985 model with 6 inch midsection and fuel injection

Powerabout
06-15-2014, 01:14 PM
post some engine photos Lars..
and the secret news on the 15" 350HO with low water pickup, fat shaft, with merc style bearing carrier, and 7000rpm rev limit

Lars Strom
06-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Sorry for the wind noise in my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcyG418ErzI

Lars Strom
06-17-2014, 10:49 AM
The new Evinrude power of the future..2015 E-TEC G2.

I am back home after a fun weekend in Milwaukee with BRP and Evinrude.
Being an Ambassador for Evinrude is a great honor. (The first production outboard ever built 1909)

A short review of the weekend.

The BRP management asked for a new aggressive design so you can tell it is an Evinrude outboard from long distance.

The engineering department went back in the Evinrude history book and looked at the successful racing rotary.
You can see many similarities here.

Click below for more.

http://svera.se/blogg/the-new-evinrude-power-of-the-future-2015-e-tec-g2/

Lars Strom
06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Amazing..

This thread just past 100,000 views and I like to thank everyone that has clicked in and spent there time reading about my racing and live experience.

Again Thank you all.

The picture is from 1973 after I won my first big race..The European SE Class Championship race in Lappenraanta, Finland and maybe had to much to drink..;)

..but as always..Evinrude close to my heart...!!

Master Oil Racing Team
06-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Your's is a fun thread to read Lars, with many great photos and pictures and stories behind the scenes that not only you tell, but your friends like Jackie Wilson, Steve Pinson and others. No wonder your thread is such a great success. My question is though, it looks like you are maybe dancing to some great music. What songs and artists did you listen to in those days? I know you were friends with ABBA, and I thought they were great, but who else?

Lars Strom
06-19-2014, 04:43 AM
Thanks Master Oil Racing Team..

Well..Pretty sure it was ABBA, the group was very popular in Sweden already 1973 and the year after the won big with the song Waterloo.
Even better when ABBA got involved with Evinrude and my racing 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsVeMz1F5c

Lars Strom
06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
This picture and info is extremely nice..

Thank you so much Randall Ojeda

Ron Hill
06-22-2014, 09:44 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Power-Electric-Race-Boat-Propeller-/400107596092?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2845693c

Left Hand propeller looks like this one. NOTE: Cavitation plate level with the bottom where it is supposed to be.

My dad always talked about "Comstocks", I never knew what he was talking about.

Steve Pinson
06-27-2014, 07:56 AM
The new Evinrude power of the future..2015 E-TEC G2.

I am back home after a fun weekend in Milwaukee with BRP and Evinrude.
Being an Ambassador for Evinrude is a great honor. (The first production outboard ever built 1909)

A short review of the weekend.
O
The BRP management asked for a new aggressive design so you can tell it is an Evinrude outboard from long distance.

The engineering department went back in the Evinrude history book and looked at the successful racing rotary.
You can see many similarities here.

Click below for more.

http://svera.se/blogg/the-new-evinrude-power-of-the-future-2015-e-tec-g2/[/B]. Hi Lasse. the white no 2 boat fitted with a Rotary engine looks like a Cougar. We need to ask Rotary John where this picture was taken. I only remember One Cougar boat that James Beard ran at the Windemere 3 hr race in the Uk and I am sure it was dark blue?

Lars Strom
07-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Marcus Friberg/Nitra Boats and Evinrude 150 H.O. the 2014 Nordic Champions.

http://svera.se/blogg/marcus-fribergnitra-boats-and-evinrude-150-h-o-the-2014-nordic-champions/

Lars Strom
07-27-2014, 12:36 PM
http://www.evinrudenation.com/owner-zone/larsstromtecambassador/

Video link here..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZPD7IwRWoM

Lars Strom
08-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Informing the world about the new Evinrude G2 directly after my first test ride in Milwaukee harbor

Meet Evinrude Ambassador Lars Strom..click below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZPD7IwRWoM

swamppanther
08-02-2014, 07:09 AM
If Chrysler Outboards were still in business, their next generation of outboards would look like the new Evinrudes, horsepower to weight ratio out of the ball park, Mercury has already tried the 74 degree V, nothing really new here except too heavy and ugly.

Lars Strom
08-02-2014, 07:30 AM
A Look Inside The New Evinrude Outboards

The engineering and technical aspects underneath the new Evinrude cowlings.

http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/look-inside-new-evinrude-outboards?src=soc&dom=fb

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-02-2014, 08:51 AM
If Chrysler Outboards were still in business, their next generation of outboards would look like the new Evinrudes, horsepower to weight ratio out of the ball park, Mercury has already tried the 74 degree V, nothing really new here except too heavy and ugly.
You really must be kidding. This is still a 2 stroke that meets EPA requirements & not a heavy 4 stroke with many more costly moving parts, not to say that the 4 stroke only gets a power stroke every other revolution whereas a 2 stroke gets it every revolution. You say "heavy" wow, I believe the Merc Verado's are considerably heavier. Also, there is only one bundle coming from the motor to the boat. This includes all electronics, all cables, all fuel lines & even steering. Ugly, not sure what you are looking at, as the new Evinrudes have a styling package similar to the 4 rotor Rotary race motors of the 80's.

Powerabout
08-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Chrysler did build a V6 but didnt make it to production, was very similar to a v6 merc

Lars Strom
08-02-2014, 09:17 AM
The new Evinrude 250H.O. G2

swamppanther
08-02-2014, 05:45 PM
No, I"m not kidding, I have always been an Evinrude fan and I don't ever intend on having a 4 stroke anything on my boat, but when OMC shot themselves in the foot with their first V6 looper that had a rotating assembly that weighed as much as the entire Mercury power head, I was disappointed to see a light weight and fairly well engineered Mercury winning everything. So what does BRP do? The same thing as OMC ,Too heavy and I would prefer an outboard that looks like an outboard, Not a Transformer(the movie) At least the Rotary had a 1 piece hood , How long before the snap down top flies off as well as the screw on side panels. If only OMC had taken the original crossflow V6 crankshaft and built a looper block around it, excellent crank with a new block, pistons and heads would have been astoundingly fast ,dependable and light, Maybe someone in BRP engineering will wake up and design a light weight high performance outboard and even give it a 15 inch midsection section, and by the way, I am building real CCC Evinrude with an even fire crank as well as KR 15 and a CC Evinrude so I know a little about the subject. I do respect everyone here on this thread and I would just have to say that I am just plain old disappointed in the way the outboard business and its engineering have gone. Best of luck to you, Lars, I do hope the Evinrude name survives!

Lars Strom
08-02-2014, 06:00 PM
More from Roslagsloppet Offshore Race..Conny Hertz and co-pilot Micke Hulting drove the yellow Twister Cat to victory in W-150 class.

This is a popular class for cats and production/stock 150 hp outboards.
Engines have to be clean EPA approved.
Conny is using a brand new 2014 Evinrude 150 H.O. with graphite paint job.
Not only is the # W- 89 rig beautiful but really fast.
Fog...............
Click for more

http://svera.se/blogg/more-from-roslagsloppet-offshore-race-conny-hertz-and-co-pilot-micke-hulting-drove-the-yellow-twister-cat-to-victory-in-w-150-class/

Powerabout
08-02-2014, 10:13 PM
The transformer look is just making the product look like all the other brp recreational products, young people clearly like it and old people are not the future buyers.

Swamppather
Do I now see a merc verado is the same weight as an omc v8 from 30 years ago..

Lars Strom
08-03-2014, 05:49 AM
More pictures from Roslagsloppet Offshore Race yesterday. Over 120 boats in this race just north of Stockholm, Sweden.

Photo JanneM
Thank you

Lars Strom
08-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Hurricane boat 2690 with 300hp Evinrude E-TEC G2

Powerabout
08-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Just re read the thread, what a great part of Outboard history
I have to ask where are all the MOD50/M32 OE etc 3 cyl OMC's go?
In Australia and NZ, they are just about all still racing

Lars Strom
08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Thank you Powerabout.

Well..F3 was by far the most fun racing class but the class died when OMC stopped supporting with engines-service at the races.
Yes..there is a few F3 in Australia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few pictures from our boat trip last weekend at St. Lucie river.

My Striper 26 CC with 2 X 150 Evinrude E-TEC and my wife Carina.

Please check my Evinrude Ambassador video.

Lars Strom
08-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Well..Carina is packing for the Forrest Wood Cup and I forgot to tell her about the two
country concerts to attend..

Now she is repacking with her Country and Western Outfits..
Hee Hee.. I love this job as an Evinrude Ambassador..

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/?ab=learn&utm_expid=21498366-3.hu6HUqoRTaqqAgDWp_svow.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fl.facebook.com%2Fl.php%3 Fu%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.flwoutdoors.com%252F%2 6h%3D6AQHk5szN%26s%3D1

Lars Strom
08-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Well..Carina is packing for the Forrest Wood Cup and I forgot to tell her about the two

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/?ab=learn&utm_expid=21498366-3.hu6HUqoRTaqqAgDWp_svow.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fl.facebook.com%2Fl.php%3 Fu%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.flwoutdoors.com%252F%2 6h%3D6AQHk5szN%26s%3D1

Lars Strom
08-13-2014, 04:59 PM

Lars Strom
09-30-2014, 04:56 AM
$500,000.00 to the winner in a fishing tournament and team Evinrude is the winner..

Check this new Evinrude/Lars video.

"Like everything else, whatever you do, you gotta win. If you race boats and you win, you get success; if you get second, nobody remembers you."
Yep, Lars is one of us.
Check out T.E.C. Ambassador Lars Strom's experience at the FLW Forrest Wood Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOuAL8i5H8&feature=youtu.be

Lars Strom
10-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Back to more F1-V8 racing.

Randy Pierson driving a Burgess Evinrude with Seebold Cowls in
Toledo Ohio 1986.
(Roger Jenkins former boat)

Lars Strom
10-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Thank you for the picture Sean Barnard

I got this today and remember the little boy asking to sit in my Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude V8.

Me in Lars Strom Burgess V8 London 83!!
Closed I will get to racing tunnel hull!!

Lars Strom
10-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Check this video..we need this in tunnel boat racing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOuAL8i5H8&feature=youtu.be

Lars Strom
11-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Michel Vaillant comics – Paris 1970.

Theses stories are always in the real world.
35 Alex de Boom, 12 – Sanders-Posey, 11 – Nordskog-Asmus.

Lars Strom
11-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Jimbo McConnell / Powerboat Magazine / May 1991

Very good reading..seven pages about Jimbo..probably the best tunnel boat racer ever..

http://svera.se/blogg/jimbo-mcconnell-powerboat-magazine-may-1991/

Lars Strom
12-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Thank you so much Henry-Jacques Cmc. I am so happy to see this picture.

This year 1982.. Paris 6 Hours was run in a different format.

2 X 1,5 Hours and I did the race without a co-pilot.

I had a perfect race and won both 1.5 hour races in the white F-3 Burgess powered by Evinrude CC..
(boat # 90)

Fast Fred
12-08-2014, 03:54 PM
do you remember how they went about warming the power head up? same power head for both runs? how hard did you turn the power head? like 7000 to 8000 ?
thanks

Lars Strom
12-08-2014, 04:23 PM
One of the powerboat world’s greatest racer ever left us today.

Dec 8th, 2014

I just got the sad news from Italy that the great Angelo Vassena past away.
There is so many memories from racing with Angelo.
He was such a fun friend to hang around..and always surprised you with crazy things.
So many things is spinning in my head..

Paris, Stockholm, London, Bruges, Como, Lecco, Sabaudia, the Evinrude factory..etc etc..

Maybe my best memory is our teamdriving in Paris 1978.

R.I.P my dear friend

http://svera.se/blogg/offshore/president-ronald-reagans-son-mike-and-boat-racing-yes/

Lars Strom
12-08-2014, 05:29 PM
do you remember how they went about warming the power head up? same power head for both runs? how hard did you turn the power head? like 7000 to 8000 ?
thanks

Hi Fast Fred,

Well..the Evinrude powerhead I used in F3 1980/81 and 82 was much better than the FT/FR powerhead.
Pressed in sleeves with far better porting,
A very forgiving engine and I used Methanol and had very few problems.
Don't remember the RPM but pretty high at the end of the straight a ways

Never any cooling problems but don't remember if i used a thermostat or not.

We used this powerhead up to I think 1987/88. Next one had the exhaust on the other side.
A very good and powerful engine..
No other outboard was even close to keep up with the OMC.

Thanks to Jim Nerstrom and many more att OMC Engineering.

I think the F3 was one of the best boat racing classes ever.