PDA

View Full Version : Super Swede ... Lars Strom

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lars Strom
05-13-2008, 06:59 PM
To Ron Hill,

Dear Ron,

Please help me put the 4 photos on Boat Racing Facts this time, next time I train my son.

Picture 1

My SE Boat from 1974, I won the European SE Championship 1973,74,75 and 76.
At that time there was no World title for the SE class.

Picture 2

Poster of my Aspen/Evinrude F1 V8 Boat 1983, Stockholm GP, very big race part of the world Championship that year downtown Stockholm, 250,000 spectators.

Picture 3

A little story and photo in Swedish about me, but very interesting so please put it in.
I Translate one day. (Maybe)

Picture 4

World famous Erik Eriksson and Lars, I think Marina Del Ray, CA
Erik Eriksson was a good friend of mine, and a close friend to Ron Hill.

He past away in a Helicopter crash a few years ago, and Ron asked me for a Picture of Erik

Regards

Lars[/QUOTE]

Lars, you are good to go. Look for an email from me about your password. Time to start bragging about all those races! :)

Lars Strom
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi again,

I have been writing my Boat racing story's in Sweden for the last 6 month at www.Boatlife.se and the Swedish Powerboat
Federations Home Page. www.svera.org

My stories have been of big interest, and the Swedish Powerboat Federation made a folder
and gave them out to the public at the Stockholm Boat show this year when they celebrated the 60's
anniversary

All that in Swedish, but like to try my English now, so please have some patience with me.

I was born in Stockholm Sweden 1953 and my Family runs a Coffee processing plant that was founded 1890.
My dream was not coffee, but Outboards and Racing so I never worked in the Family business

Racing gave me the opportunity to start my own dealer ship and I sold lots of Evinrude Outboards, more than anyone else in the world according to some at OMC, but not the way I was supposed to
all the time. "Some export" back to the USA in the eighty's that turned the overseas Outboard market up side down.

That's a story I maybe tell you later, but in 1991 after I sold my business we moved to Florida and
I was a Resident Alien (Green Card holder) for a few years and then become an American citizen after 9-11.

So I am now a really proud American that fly the Red, White and Blue everyday at my 200 Acre Ranch
in Warsaw, MO close to Lake of the Ozarks.

I have seen many places in the world, and I strongly believe this is still the land of opportunities and the
only place to be.

Yes, gas prices are high, but still far lower than where I come from.

Now I think you know me little bit better and I slowly are going to tell you my Racing History that started
in 1970 with a 60 Hp Evinrude with electric shift and two stupid breaker points, but that engine made me
a Swedish Champ that year.

I raced for about 20 years, and my plan is to tell you the highlights.

Here is some US names you recognize that has made my Racing possible and they know me if you ask them.
Sorry, I know some are not with us anymore.

John Tucker, Jack Leek, Paul Kalb, Jim Wagner, Jim Brackenfield, Charlie Strang, Jim Nerstrom,
Ric McChesney, Ron Hill, Edgar Rose, Gary Garbrecht, Ralf Evinrude and Mouse.

I am sure I forget some, but I am going to start next time with the first Big race I won that made
it possible to make a living out of Boat racing.

SE European Championship
1973 Lappenranta, Finland
I went to that race with a brand new Clerici SE Boat and a Evinrude 65 SS with
the old X - 115 gear case and the shifter on the mid section.

I did not have a propeller with me(Backordered) and never tested the boat, an won the Race!!!!
A very unhappy Roger Jenkins was second.

Full story about this next time...

Lars Strom

Lars Strom
05-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Welcome aboard Lars. Good looking equipment you had to run. Will be looking forward to your future posting of racing days.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer :cool:

Thank you,

The picture of the yellow SE Boat with # 48 was taken the week after
Paris 6 hours 1974.
Evinrude Sweden made this poster.
That was the first year the 70 HP came with the smaller gearcase, for Racing
only.
Standard in 1975, short shaft only 75 hp

If you look close you see the big fuel cap for fast refueling.

That was my first Paris 6 hours and I remember that Race as it was yesterday.
C. Scotti crasched and I did see when it happend.

I was in Paris for the 1973 6 hours, but the Swedish Powerboat
Federation sent my entry form to late and Mr. Bradinaire refuse to
let me start.
At that time all the entry forms for internationell Races had to go true the
local NA.
On top of that, Paris 6 hours 1973 was the first Race OMC paid me to do,
and it did not start out very good....

Master Oil Racing Team
05-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Looking forward to more stories and pics Lars. This is from the November 1979 UIM News Bulletin, and I think it must be you Lars. I have seen a number of typos in these bulletins.

Lars Strom
05-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Looking forward to more stories and pics Lars. This is from the November 1979 UIM News Bulletin, and I think it must be you Lars. I have seen a number of typos in these bulletins.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your response, 1979 was a year when lots of good things happen in my life.
I got married, my first son was born and I expanded my Evinrude dealership in Sweden by buying
a second dealership in Stockholm.
On top of that Sjoeberg Racing built his first Mod 50/F3 boat, and we finished 3 in Paris 6 hours with
that boat.

I understand you where racing König Engines, and 1977 I made a bad mistake by switching from OMC to
König/Volvo Penta for the Mod 50/F3 class and was always the fastest boat, but the engine blow
up more or less in every race.
This specially design König 3 Cyl Mod 50/F3 had lots of horse power, but came apart all the time.
The only good thing was I become a good friend to Dieter and he was a very nice man and lots of fun things
happened in West Berlin that year.

Lars (Lasse) Strom

Lars Strom
05-17-2008, 07:15 AM
I wasn't paying attention when I missed the (Lasse) Lars on a previous post.

I kind of had that feeling about the Konig/Volvo Penta engines Lars. I didn't like the looks of the carbs, rotary valve and length of that belt. Maybe for a short sprint....but it looked like trouble to me for the laps you guys ran.

When you joined BRF I recognized your name and looked into some programs, but I didn't find the ones I was looking for. Were you in Berlin at Spandau in 1977? I will look in some old Powerboat & Waterskiing magazines for some old racing articles.

Since you ran some of the Konig/Volvo Penta's I guess you knew Gert Lowisin. What a great guy. And did you ever know Leif Ahlborg and Roland Stoltz? They ran OA, OB and if anything else I don't know.

Hi again,

Well, 1977 was a year when OMC Racing had the first setback from Japanese outboards slowly taking over
in Europe.

The year before, OMC told all the distributors in most countries in Europe that OMC is going to
take over.

For example, Evinrude in Sweden was imported by Huzells, and I had a very good relationship with Huzells
and they gave me lots of money to race Evinrude Outboards.
Johnson had AGB in Sweden and they where good for drivers using Johnson outboards.

This is in my opinion the first really big mistake OMC made, and was the start for lots of bad mistakes,
that sadly put the them out of business later, as we all know.

Huzells owner Bill Huzell was really upset with OMC taking his business away after 10 years of hard work to distribute
Evinrude in Sweden, so he went to Japan and took over Suzuki outboards for Sweden.
His old Evinrude dealers in Sweden liked Billy, and they all signed up to have Suzuki as a second
brand.

AGB did the same thing, and grabbed the Mariner Brand for Sweden.

I can still not understand that OMC did not think better, Billy Huzell was a rich smart business man and his
top priority was to make Suzuki Outboards very strong in Sweden now, and that's how the price war
started in Europe.

Remember, OMC did the same thing in most countries overseas.

I was loyal OMC, and stayed as an exclusive Evinrude dealer, but 90 % of the Evinrude dealers
was now Evinrude/Suzuki and on the Johnson side Johnson/Mariner.

Back to Racing,

1977 was now the first year Evinrude/Johnson was distributed in Sweden by OMC Sweden and the policy
was, NO RACING and everything had to go true Paul Kalb at OMC's European headquarter in Brugge, Belgium,
and his budget was cut in half.

My relationship with Paul Kalb (Racing boss Europe) was not so good, he had his favorite drivers and I always won over them.
1977 was also the year when Molinari started Racing for OMC, but Renatos deal was with OMC USA,
not Belgium.

I had a brand new Mod 50/F3 Molinari Boat on order and an Evinrude engine for that boat, but after a meeting
with the BIG man at Volvo Penta, Sweden we made a deal and I got my biggest check ever (at that time) to
Race Volvo Penta/Konig in Mod 50/F3 1977.

I went to Como, to pick up my new boat, and to Clerici to pick up a second boat if the Molinari Boat
did not work with the Volvo.

Direct to Dieter Konig, West Berlin to install engines and after that Uppsala, Sweden where
the Volvo Penta outboard factory was located, and Gert Lowisin was living next door.
My deal with Volvo was to have Gert Lowisin 24/7 to help me that year in racing, and Gert was a very
good man to have on your side.

This was a very interesting year for me in Racing, and I raced more or less every weekend somewhere
in Europe, and when "that thing" on the transom stayed together I Won, but most of the times it came a part.

Believe it or not, but I raced Paris 6 hours with a Konig..... and was leading with many laps after
4 hours, when I hit something and sank.... not the engine this time.
We used 50/50 Gasoline/Methanol and it did not take away to many horsepower.

The Sprint World Champion Ship OE that year was in Brodenbach, and OMC was not very happy
with Lars racing a Volvo and Jenkins Racing a Archimedes. (Same thing)

Michael Werner was the home favorite with Mercury's secret OE engine with the EFI box.

OMC at that time did not have the speed, and where using the "Gas in a bottle" ( laughing gas), to make it better,
but the officials of the Race said it was not legal, so OMC never raced and filed a protest.

I was fighting hard with Werner and won one heat, he the next etc. and it was down to the final heat
I had to win on a better time and I did, but then the Race officials said that my heat was 2/10 of a second
slower than Werner's so he was now the World Champ. (at that time they used stop watches)

I don't now if it was right or wrong, but a week later UIM made a decision about the OMC protest and the Race
was not a official World Championship Race anymore.

There is many stories about my year with Volvo/Konig and I can go back to that later.
When it comes to money, it was a very good year but I did not get the Trophy's I wanted so after Paris
6 Hours I told Volvo that, I am out.

Volvo did not have a problem with that and late 1978, the Volvo Penta outboards
was history.

Not many people know that, but Volvo Penta Outboards was the first one the Japanese Outboards
put out of business.

Well, maybe they killed them self with poorly designed production outboards.....

One more thing,

My real name is Lars Strom, in Sweden your nick name for Lars is Lasse, but over here Lassie is a dog,
so my name is now Lars.....

Sorry, one more thing.

I am going to stick with my plan to tell my Racing Story's year by year, that is the only way to remember
correct, so next time I am back to Lappenranta, Finland 1973.

Lars Strom
05-18-2008, 03:25 PM
That is the way I like to do it to Lars. I found something about you in Powerboat & Waterskiing, but I'll hold on to it until you get to that time. Looking forward to more of your story.

OK, good and thanks for understanding.

I forgot to tell you that Leif Ahlborg is a good friend of mine, and he visited
me in Florida a few years ago and we went to a SST 120 race.

Leif is now a Boat race Promotor. www.nolimit.se

Lars Strom
05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
After a few years in the Sport, a big possibility opened up in
the winter 1972/73.
Hans Holmen who worked for Evinrude Sweden called me and said that Huzells and Evinrude
has picked me and one other Swede to get the new Evinrude 65 SS, that was designed
to be a winner in the SE class.

One condition, I have to buy a new SE Cat from Italy. There was two choices, Abbate or Clerici and I picked
Clerici without really a good reason.

We where late to order, but Clerici promise to have the boat ready in June that summer, but that was OK
because OMC was late with the new 65 SS also.

I friend of mine lent me and older Schultze cat and I used my stock Evinrude 65 hp.
At the Swedish Championship in Torsby, Varmland, I ended up around fifth.

Me and my dad Roland took the Coffee delivery truck and headed to Cremona, Italy with a big bag full of
Lire (Italian Cash) to pick up the new very good looking cat.

Back to Sweden to install the brand new 65 SS Evinrude, that had just arrived.

There was one big problem, this engine was using left hand props, and there was not many around.
I found one 2 blade prop used for the Mercury BP's, but not very fast at testing.

The big Race was the European Championship in Lappenranta Finland and OMC's Racing Boss
Jim Wagner, had a lay over in Stockholm on his way to Finland and I got a chance to test factory driver
Roger Jenkins propellers and my boat was flying.

This was a 3 bladed cleaver left hand rotation and Jim Wagner promise me that if I showed up in Finland he was
going to let me use Rogers spare prop.

Me, Holmen and friend Curre took the ferry to Finland and when we arrived at the race there was 45 boats
with Mercury, Carniti, Konigs, Evinrude and Johnson engines, but now Jenkins refused to let me borrow any
of his props.

I was very disappointed and was walking around in the pit, when I ran in to Tor Smith Ingebrittsen from
Norway.
He had an older home built boat, and he showed me his prop that looked like the one Jenkins used.
We made a deal and exchanged props with a handshake.

There was no time for testing and when they dropped the green flag I was flying through the field and after a few
laps I lead the race and pulled away.
I won the heat with half a lap, and everybody went crazy regarding my prop.
Many drivers offered my new friend from Norway lots of money for his prop, that he lent me but he was cool and said it belongs to Lars.
Next heat the Italian drivers was trying to run me over in the start, and later pushed me up on one of the
turning buoys and I was disqualified and had some damage to the boat but we fixed that overnight.

I do not remember the third heat, but I had to win the last one, and I did.

I was now declared the winner and the new European Champion, and Jim Wagner was forced to come over to my boat
and congratulate me.

Roger Jenkins went strait to the Airport and Wales, and Lars and his friends had the biggest after race
party they have ever seen in Lappenranta.

This was the beginning of my professional boat racing carrier and my Outboard Business success.

EDIT...This is Tor Smith Ingebrittsen..from Norway.
He let me use his special race- propeller in Lappenranta, Finland..to Win..!!
Thanks again Tor Smith..

The second picture is me just after the race..and than my Clerici/Evinrude SS # 99 boat

Master Oil Racing Team
05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
That is a very exiciting start Lars. I like the way you tell it. I could picture the race. I have seen it many times that boat racers will loan props to other competitors. That is why boat racing is so special. They do not hesitate to help another racer. Keep the stories coming.

Lars Strom
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
That is a very exiciting start Lars. I like the way you tell it. I could picture the race. I have seen it many times that boat racers will loan props to other competitors. That is why boat racing is so special. They do not hesitate to help another racer. Keep the stories coming.

Thank you,

Well, I have about 35 more in Swedish, and are translating by my self and
sometimes it just dont come our right in English, so please bare with me.

I did race 11 Paris 6 hours and one time in the Rouen 24 hours and you are going to
like the result.

Lars Strom
05-18-2008, 07:52 PM
One more thing,

There is a new member at BRF, his name is Ribban and that´s my son
Richard.
He lives in Stockholm, Sweden and he is going to help me put all the photos here,
sometimes he is hard to find, he is single, 27 years old and so many
girlfriends and not enough time....

Allen J. Lang
05-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Lars, between you and your son Richard, this thread should really get interesting. Have been enjoying your postings.

Lars Strom
05-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Lars, between you and your son Richard, this thread should really get interesting. Have been enjoying your postings.

Thank you,

This is maybe off topic but Wednesday morning Carina my wife and I
are going to the INDY 500.

I have a business deal with Kenny Bräck, and we have a plan for the
weekend.

Yes, that´s the Winner of the Indy 500 Race 1999, driving the # 14 car
for A.J. Foyt.

Kenny tells me I took his nickname, the Super Swede but that´s wrong
I was just born way before him....:)

tthibodaux
05-19-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree with Mr. Lang that these are interesting posts and great reading!

Lars Strom
05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree with Mr. Lang that these are interesting posts and great reading!

Thank you Tim,

I believe Ribban is placing some photos here right now and
hopefully he is smarter then me.

Ribban
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
One more thing,

There is a new member at BRF, his name is Ribban and that´s my son
Richard.
He lives in Stockholm, Sweden and he is going to help me put all the photos here,
sometimes he is hard to find, he is single, 27 years old and so many
girlfriends and not enough time....

hehe, here comes the pictures.. :)

Lars Strom
05-19-2008, 01:43 PM
The first 5 photos above is from Lappenranta 1973, and the second of those, the photo
of me in front of my Clerici Boat, was from Reuters News and was sent out
all over Europe after my win.

The first Colour photo is at my office, with the poster OMC made behind me
on the wall.

Next two are my Piraya Boat I used for Swedish offshore Racing, but not
really Offshore, more big lakes etc, but you have to be two people onboard.

The last one is the SE Clerici from 1973.

Mark75H
05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Excellent guys! Keep them coming!

Lars Strom
05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Excellent guys! Keep them coming!

Thank you,

I am gone for about a week (INDY 500).

mintominto
05-20-2008, 03:51 AM
Love the wings on the 2 seater offshore boat, almost looks like an early predecessor of the Scandinavian batboats.

Allen J. Lang
05-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Between Wayne and Lars, this is the internet spot to visit.:) Both are really bringing back racing history with pictures and their writings.

Lars Strom
05-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Love the wings on the 2 seater offshore boat, almost looks like an early predecessor of the Scandinavian batboats.

Thank you,

I built the Piraya 17' myself 1972-73 and used it 5 years, and nobody could beat me in that boat.
Very difficult to drive, feels more like a Cat than V-hull.

I have been told it looks like an Italian Dalapieta.
Kenty Sjoholm in Sweden that owns the molds, likes everything from Italy, so that is possible.

The big Offshore Race that happens once a year in Sweden is Roslagsloppet, and in 1976 I rigged the Piraya 17' with one of the first and very hot
Evinrude FT 19 S.
Bertil Wik was the copilot and we set the speed record, and I think it still holds.

More stories later about this boat

Fast Fred
05-23-2008, 04:39 AM
any Mod50 shots?:eek::cool:

Lars Strom
05-23-2008, 05:07 AM

Fast Fred,

My first year in OE/Mod 50/F3 was 1975 as a factory driver for OMC in Europe, and
my last race as a driver in F3 was Paris 6 hours 1986.

My brother Lennart Strom raced F3 for many year to, and I was involved as a F3 Team
owner for some time.

Right now I am at the INDY 500, and when I am back home the Racing stories will continue.....

My plan is to write year by year, so next year is 1974

Fast Fred
05-23-2008, 03:01 PM
been to the Indy 500, ya 220mph is far more impressive in person:cool:

Ron Hill
05-23-2008, 04:43 PM
<TABLE class=ipbtable cellSpacing=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=post1 id=post-main-260616 vAlign=top width="100%">Hi again Ron,

After today's phone call, I wrote a short story about Ron Hill and his prop shop at www.Boatlife.se (http://www.Boatlife.se) , where I write my Racing story's.
In a nice way I bragged about all the good props you made for me when I was Racing and said that I really recommend Ron Hill to buy props from.

I hour later, there was a responds from Sture Sjoeberg in Sweden saying that don't say you know Sture Sjoeberg because I owe Ron $ 350.00 for a prop he purchased from me 20 years ago and Bertil Wik return it to me..
Bad casting, I guess.

See, what racing story's can do.

Regards

Lars Strom

I wrote back and asked Lars are you sure he owes ME???

Lars wrote back and said:

Ron,

Sture Sjoeberg owes you $ 350.00.

Lars

Keep up the great posts, talk with you after INDY.

ADD:

I never like to look back and worry about things, but often wonder how many props I've loaned out that I never got paid for... One year at Parker, Freddy Hartman walks up to me with a nice 30 cleaver in his hand....He says is this your prop Ron? I said I made it. He asked how much is a new one? I said $500. Freddy hands me $500 and said he'd borrowed it in the middle of the race a year before and he'd never paid me for it, figured I'd planned to take it back this year...Truth was, I never remember, even to this day, of giving him that prop....Got rid of that $500 without too much trouble that night at Sports Valley!!! No, that was Rod's $500 I spent at Sports Valley.....

See, Rod always liked racing at The Parker Enduro, and I'd make him pay for half the gas and half the entry fee...We'd have a big dinner for everyone of our crew and all...and the bill would be about $500. Rod would always give me his half ofthe gas and entry fee just about the time the bill came....Well, easy come, easy go!

Hey Lars...Tell us how you made MILLIONS OF U.S. DOLLARS while living in Sweden.....(LEGALLY)!!!!

Tell us more stories about Erick.....I never liked him flying those helicopters!!!

MORE PICTURES..PICTURES ARE GREAT!

I was selling Paul Kalb props like crazy when you were racing OE...seems that is when you were buying props from me!!!! Come to Parker and run a new E-Tec Evinrude, you must have one friend still there!!!! (At Evinrude)...Your English is much better than my Swedish!!!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lars Strom
05-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Ron Hill wrote:

Hey Lars...Tell us how you made MILLIONS OF U.S. DOLLARS while living in Sweden.....(LEGALLY)!!!!

///

Ha, ha Ron,

I am getting to that, but it started 1982 and went on for four years.

My good relationship as a dealer and my succesful Racing with OMC made this re/export to the
USA possible.

Many thousands of outboards was shipped back to the USA, and it was legal,
but not legal if you read the stickers OMC put on the Evinrude boxes sent
to Europe.

It is a long and interesting story but sensative, many people was upset for
some time and when I get to year 1982 of the Racing stories I will include
that.

Lars Strom
05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
1974 was a very good year for my Racing, and Huzells/Evinrude bought me a new SE Clerici Cat and OMC Belgium paid
for 6 races in Europe.
Huzells-Evinrude Sweden paid for 12 more.

My best memory is from Evian, France where I defended my SE European championship.
Over 40 boats in this race, the SE class was very popular in the mid seventy's.

The Italian drivers was still upset from the year before when I "stole" the race in Finland so they teamed up to try to run me over in every start.
My new Clerici boat and the way I could fly it, was perfect for this 2 point race course, two mile long.
(Jim Wagner told me I was way faster then the Factory OE boat).

Normally a race was 4 heat and 3 of them counts, and the big Lake Geneva was very ruff.
In the final heat when I was up front, one of the Italian drivers slowed down waiting for me to lap him and then he
hit my boat on purpose in the turn, but I was lucky to bring it home in first place.

On top of that, the top Italian drivers ended up disqualified for not legal modifications to the engines.
The final
result with me as the Champ was ready 4 AM Monday morning with very angry and upset Bonvicini brothers from Italy.

Earlier that year one of my sponsors Melins Motor made very nice stickers with a picture of my boat saying I was the 1973 European Champion, but they never told me that the printing office made a mistake, putting year 1974 on the first set of stickers so in the pit area after the race, they put a new sticker on my boat saying
I was the 1974 European Champion and that made the Italians even more upset!!!!
I never told them the true story about the sticker screw up.

OMC's factory SE driver Roger Jenkins was not happy at all after losing to me for the second year, so he made the decision to give up the SE class and go to
the new OE class for the future.
What Jenkins did not know at that time, was that OMC had a plan to hire me also as a factory OE
driver for the 1975 race season.

Back in Scandinavia I won lots of Races, including the 2 hours of Duvnasviken and the Scandinavian
Championship plus many smaller races.

Well, I flipped the SE boat a few times without hurting myself to bad and raced the Piraya offshore boat with
great success (Wins) in Roslagsloppet and many more races.

The final race 1974 was Paris 6 hours, but my plan is to make a story about all my 11 Paris 6 hours.
In my opinion Paris 6 hours was the best and most prestigious Outboard race in history.
Maybe the Lake Havasu City race was better, but I never got the opportunity to race there.

Next story is about my 1975 racing year.
Started in South Africa where Jimbo McConnell and I
raced the BP 200.
1975 was a very busy year for me and my first year as a professional driver for Outboard Marine Corporation.
I have a letter from OMC and Jack Leak in my safe-deposit box in Florida, and that is the best letter I have ever received.

Hopefully Ribban is posting some mixed photos from 1974 here.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I am guessing Lars, that the 1975 race in South Africa was your first race for that 1975 season. The Sunshine Series. Jim Mckean raced Pro stuff in the Sunshine Series and I regret never to take up the offer. There was a driver from South Africa that raced SE and OE that came to Berlin in 1976. I have to look up his name to see if you remember him. Most of the guys I knew from South Africa were of the former British colonies. This guy was Africaaner from the Dutch colonies. He spoke with a different accent.

Ribban
05-28-2008, 01:21 AM
more pictures..

Lars Strom
05-28-2008, 06:38 AM
The first 6 is from Paris 6 hours 1974. My race number was 48 in that
race.

I do not remember who the driver of ON # 30 boat is? outside me in the pit turn. (stars and stripes)
This was the first year OMC used the
V 6 outboard in the Paris 6 hour race.
Maybe Jimbo McConell? but the driver look smaller than Jimbo

Lars is cold after I rolled over in a race in Sweden, boat hanging in the
lift cables. # 99 Boat

Next is the European Championship 1974 Evian, France. # 51 Boat
Look have ruff Lake Geneva is!! boat in the background did not make
that landing and crashed bad.

Last one is a Swedish News paper and the headline is "the Italiens tried
to kill me"!!!! in Evian, France.

tthibodaux
05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Funny you mentioned that boat about to crash because I was thinking to myself it looked bad..

Lars Strom
05-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Funny you mentioned that boat about to crash because I was thinking to myself it looked bad..

If I remember right, he was one of the five Italian drivers.

The roles at that time was maximum five drivers from each country in Europe,
and one driver is the European Champ, but there is a Trophy
for best country to.
My friend Bo Nilsson finished 3rd in that race and a few more Swedes did good so Sweden won the
Country Trophy also.

This was the first year in many years Italy lost that Trophy.
They use to be really strong in the SE Class, and the Italian Outboard
Carniti was dominating before OMC and the Swede made a move in to the class.:)

Jimbo Boat 191
05-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Lars---

I believe the "striped" boat you were wondering about is Tim Briggs, maybe Geoff,
they were driving together but I don't think it lasted long enough for Geoff to get
in it. Tim hit a buoy and it sank, as I remember. He did lead the first lap.
Got your other e-mails but have a glitch and I cannot send messages to you. We will
try to work that out.

Take Care
Jimbo

tthibodaux
05-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Lars---

I believe the "striped" boat you were wondering about is Tim Briggs, maybe Geoff,
they were driving together but I don't think it lasted long enough for Geoff to get
Got your other e-mails but have a glitch and I cannot send messages to you. We will
try to work that out.

Take Care
JimboSorry to get off topic for a second Lars. Hey Jimbo!! AWESOME to hear a little something from you! Hope your doing good!

It's very cool to read racing history from true legends like you two guys!

Lars Strom
06-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi Lars---

try to work that out.

Take Care
Jimbo

Hey, and thanks for your answer Jimbo,

Well, the turning bouy they used for the Paris 6 hour race was made
of steel and lots of concrete!!!!

One time I did see another boat hit that bouy, and it looked like a car in Nascar
hit the wall.

My next racing story is about the race in South Africa.
BP 200 early 1975 and I am waiting for my son Ribban to place 2 photos from
the River Vaal.

Pretty sure you remember that race to, Jimbo

I think you raced ON maybe OZ and I OE.

Lars Strom
06-01-2008, 05:34 PM
After the race in Paris late 1974 I was back in Sweden to do 7 month of Military service.

I received a letter in January 1975 from South Africa, and the distributor for Evinrude/Johnson
asked me if I was interested to race the OE class at the BP 200.

Of course I was, but the Military refuse to give me a 2 week break.

I knocked on the Captains door and asked him if there was anyway he could help me.
He was friendly and told me how to do it and a few days after I got an early release and was now on the
way to S. A on my own.

They picked me up at the airport and I was booked at the nicest Hotel in Johannesburg.

When I checked in, I got my best and biggest surprise.

My boat racing Hero, Jimbo McConnell was invited to and was checking in at the same Hotel.
He was standing there, together with Mouse, the OMC Race Mechanic.

Next morning we drove to the Race site at the River Vaal and the Clerici OE Boat with number 44, was driving
like the one I raced in Europe.

Jimbo was racing the OZ class if I recall correctly.
You can see Mouse at one of the photos but I do not have one with Jimbo.

We did lots of testing and I think the Race course was 5 miles long and the river was pretty narrow.

There was a few more invited foreign drivers, but most drivers where locals.

Lots of different classes and the Race was pretty crazy, but lots of fun and I still have the # 1 Trophy.

After the Prize ceremony and the party I was ready to head back to Europe.

The Rouen 24 Hours was coming up, and that was my first race as a Factory OE driver.

Jack Leek from OMC, Waukegan hired me, but the New Racing Boss for Europe was Paul Kalb

That's my next story

Master Oil Racing Team
06-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Lars...Joe Rome and I had no idea how to do all this posting with photos or anything else until BRF came along. We had to learn it in order to tell the stories. Congrats on joining the club. There are many ex boat racers learning how to even hook up a computer, thanks to BRF.

Looking forward to Ribban putting up more pics also, and it was especially nice to see the post from Jimbo McConnell. You are giving us some very good first hand stories on international racing.

Lars Strom
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
This is from a Swedish Magazine, like Playboy called Fib/Aktuellt.
Not bad for a country boy and a simple Boatracer to end up in this type of magazine..:)

Lars Strom
06-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Lars...Joe Rome and I had no idea how to do all this posting with photos or anything else until BRF came along. We had to learn it in order to tell the stories. Congrats on joining the club. There are many ex boat racers learning how to even hook up a computer, thanks to BRF.

Looking forward to Ribban putting up more pics also, and it was especially nice to see the post from Jimbo McConnell. You are giving us some very good first hand stories on international racing.

Hi again, and Thank you.

I did it, on my own!!!

Lars Strom
06-01-2008, 08:35 PM
This is from a Swedish Newspaper, making a story about me being
hired by OMC to race as a Pro.

I have one more nickname in Sweden, "Strömming" as the headline in the
newspaper clip. Means Herring, (like Bob)

The Swedish Powerboat Federation gave me race License # 1, so now my race number is 1 instead of my old 99.

Lars Strom
06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
In Sweden I was racing Evinrude paid by Huzells and Bo was racing Johnson
paid by AGB Sweden

The OE class was OMC Belgium and Paul Kalb.

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 06:43 AM
There is one more Swede reading BRF now.

Her name is Ewa, and that's my baby sister and she has done lots of work in Sweden to
make my Racing stories possible in Swedish and at Boatlife.se

Digging up old photos and news paper etc.

Thanks Ewa/Loppan

I know Swedish is hard to read, but you are going to be surprised how many news papers
was writing about me and my racing.

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 08:29 AM
From 9 years old my dream was Racing Evinrude motors.
The first photo is Lars and his first boat with an Evinrude 15 hp, and a girlfriend in the rear seat. (I was 11 years old)

Second is my Ockelbo, with my first brand new Evinrude 33 Ski-twin

next Speedcraft 25 Evinrude 300 Hp High Perf.

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
First one is my beer boat, Fletcher 19' sorry only half the boat.

Second is my Flying Flipper, white in the background with 2 X 300 Evinrude. ( OMC sent the first two by air to me 1985)

My Skater 32' with 3 X 300 + with Offshore gear cases and Hi perf kit. Pretty fast and I was a Skater dealer for Sweden.

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 09:06 AM
The first photo is from 1972, and my first Piraya 16. As you can see, budget racing and the Hilton Hotel is in the background. I did not have the money to buy a good trailer but we had lots of fun.
A new Skater 32 was way out of reach at that time of my life.

Second is the Piraya 17 I built myself from the Stockholm Boatshow 1973

The last one is from the Big race Roslagsloppet 1973, and my copilot Hans Holmen is still in the boat.
We where leading the race and a few miles from the finish line, the boat hooked and Holmen was swimming!!!

Ended up second, and Lars was very upset. Young and crazy, Well you know.

Hans Holmen was working for Evinrude in Sweden, and a very good friend.

If you call Evinrude in Sweden today, Hans Holmen still answer the phone.
He has survived every change like nobody else, over 40 years with Evinrude in Sweden and I have asked
Hans for some help to translate som of my future race stories

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
First photo is my Speedcraft 25' again.

Second one is the Fletcher 19' full lenght, Over powered... no

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
The first photo is two of my employees.

From left Mats Nystrom, Jan Clefberg and the clean up
person Lars.

Second photo is a way to beat the speed limit with a
trailer in Europe. (50 mph)

Autoban has no speed limit normally, and with the
F3 boat on top of the pick up I could travel as fast as I
wanted.

There was always a race somewhere in Europe, and Sweden
is like Florida, a dead end.

The photo is from 1981

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
This is from Nottingham, England 1981. Part of the Aspen F3 World Champion ship series

I am trying hard to pass boat # 52 John Hill, but not very succesfull!!!

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 10:31 AM
My boat ended up OK, and after swimming back to the boat I ended up
second in that heat.

Next heat was a must win, and I won the heat and the race, and was
pretty proud.

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
This is after another race in the Aspen F3 World Champion ship serie1981.

I belive it is Idroscala Milan, Italy. Very nice place for Power Boat Racing.
Especially if you are the tallest man on the podium

Second is John Hill, England, and third is Ricky Frost, England.

Full story later when I get to the 1981 season

Ron Hill
06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
try to work that out.

Take Care
Jimbo.....

The "GLITCH" Jimbo is talking about is CATHY...Jimbo's wife won't let him near HER computer....and I borrowed mine back!!!!

Great styuff Lars...Tell us more about John Hill, when you get time!

Mark75H
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
This is after another race in the Aspen F3 World Champion ship serie1981.I belive it is Idroscala Milan, Italy. Very nice place for Power Boat Racing. Especially if you are the tallest man on the podium. Second is John Hill, England, and third is Ricky Frost, England.

Lars is the man walking into the picture at the far right a famous Italian racer?

tthibodaux
06-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Lars is the man walking into the picture at the far right a famous Italian racer?Looks like Renato maybe??

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Lars is the man walking into the picture at the far right a famous Italian racer?

Well, tthibodaux is right. Looks little bit like Renato but it´s not.

The man is the President for Aspen, and my future main sponsor for
the F1 V8 Racing 1983-84

By the way, he still owes me money!!!:mad:

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 07:20 PM
try to work that out.

Take Care
Jimbo.....

The "GLITCH" Jimbo is talking about is CATHY...Jimbo's wife won't let him near HER computer....and I borrowed mine back!!!!

Great styuff Lars...Tell us more about John Hill, when you get time!

Thanks Ron,

I know that you sold lots of props to Paul Kalb and John Hill used them.
That´s why I started buying props from you to, so I could beat him!!!!!

John Hill was a true gentleman, but sadly passed away in a Boat Racing
accident.

tthibodaux
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
If you raced F1 in 84 you raced with my dad!! that was his first year to race F1 overseas!

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 08:08 PM
If you raced F1 in 84 you raced with my dad!! that was his first year to race F1 overseas!

There was a driver with your last name, I think he had a deal with
Cees VD Velden.
I do not how to spell the first name correct, Gene maybe?

I was racing F1 V8 -1983 and 84, and some in 1985

Lars Strom
06-02-2008, 08:36 PM
1993 AOF B1 r/b National Champion. Son of 1986 UIM F1 WORLD CHAMPION Gene Thibodaux

I see now, Yes I remember your Dad very well.

I meet him before 1984 over in Europe.

Funny, I sold a Boat from Sweden to Mr. Don Lightfoot of Beaumont, Texas.
He owns Orange County building supply, and the boat was a
42' Fountain with Big engines and # 6 drives. Yellow paint.

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Renato Molinari was very upset when he found out that I put a Volvo Penta on the back of my boat, and
asked me to return the boat immediately. ( the boat was paid in full)
I told Renato that OMC know why there is a Volvo Penta on the back of my boat, (Post # 11 Page 2)
and you can have it back if OMC pick up my inventory of Evinrude outboards
at my dealership in Sweden.
At that time maybe 500 boxes of outboards.
I never heard back from Renato.

1977 was the only year I was not loyal OMC, and used a different Engine supplier. (Racing only)
I was still a loyal exclusive Evinrude dealer, and I have to say that most of my money today
is made from Evinrude Outboards and OMC, back then.

Evinrude has been very good for me, and my success in life.

I can still not understand how the first production outboard ever made(1909), the largest outboard maker
in the world for a long time, went belly up.

Very said, and I believe unnecessary.

I was trying hard to tell the OMC management for years what the dealers needed to compete better with
the Japanese outboard factories, but OMC was always to slow with change.

I also told them it is maybe better OMC and Mercury get closer and together fight the war with the Japanese
outboard factories, but I guess Mercury went to bed with Yamaha for some time instead.

Now Mercury have to fight Yamaha instead of OMC, and that is way harder.

Yes, there is Evinrude Outboards today, but BRP still have a long way to go.
The new E-tec Evinrude is pretty good, so lets go Racing again BRP!!!

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, I did some Offshore racing 1977.

This is from Roslagsloppet, Sweden

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 08:35 AM
After the 1977 Volvo Penta adventure, I signed a "peace agreement"
with OMC and was back home Racing Evinrude again 1978.

On top of that, I raced Paris 6 hours with Team Molinari.

Me and Angelo Vassena raced Molinari´s second Saffa boat in the
OZ class at Paris 6 hours and finished third 1978.

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 05:28 PM
When I started racing one of my dreams was to win the World Famous Paris 6 hour race.
I heard all kind of stories how crazy that race was.

After I surprised Europe by winning the SE European Championship race in Lappenranta, Finland
1973, OMC contacted me and offered to pay me to race Paris in October that year.

I was very happy, and I picked Lorentz Näslund as my co-pilot.
He was helpful by making the refueling equipment and bought a new van to make it easier.
My friend Curre and Hans Holmen from Evinrude Sweden took the long ride from Sweden to
Paris in the new van.
The French customs gave us a hard time, because I did not have a the right document to enter
France with my racing boat called Carne ATA.
After many hours of argument, they put all four of us in jail and I had to call the Swedish Embassy
and finally they let us go.

OMC booked more or less half of Hilton Hotel next to the Eifel tower and most people with race connections stayed there.
Finally in the pit, I got the bad news, my entry form for the race had arrived to late so the Race Chairman
Mr. Blodinaire told me I could not race.

Jim Wagner from OMC tried to make my case, but Blodinaire was firm and I renamed him the Bloody Mary

The problem was outside my control, because the Swedish Powerboat Federation was the reason
for the late entry form and no Racing for us.

OMC still paid me and took care of everything even when I did not race.
Very nicely done, and thank you OMC

was a way better year, and OMC offered me the same deal and this time we raced the OE class, and what a
race.
Lots of interesting things happened, and we ended up third and I was really happy with that.
I have been hard on Roger Jenkins before, but have to give him the credit now.
He won the OE Class.

Sadly Cesare Scotti lost his life and I remember that as yesterday.

was a very good year after 5 hours in my own OE boat. We where fighting for the lead, when my gear case
broke at the wrong end of the course.

I drove the Factory OE/F3 boat and the boat came apart after 4/5 hours and we did not finish.

New experience with the French Customs. I was racing the Volvo Penta Konig, in the OE/F3 class and we had 75 gallon of Methanol in the tow vehicle and when the Customs checked the book and it said
Methanol was Alcohol we where heading for jail again.
Believe it or not, but I was leading with many laps after
We used 50/50 Gasoline/Methanol and it did not take away to many horsepower

This year I surprised many by driving Renato Molinari´s second Saffa boat in the OZ class
together with Angelo Vassena.
Angelo use to be the head gay for the Carniti factory, and a real fun man.
We ended up third, and that was so far my best result.

I was back in the OE/F3 class.
The Swede S/S was a new boat builder and this was the first test/race for his boat, and we where working
24/7 the last weeks to be ready for the 6 hour race.
We ended up third and in the pit, after the race when the boat was still in the water, a happy
S/S drew a steel stick true the hull on purpose so the boat sank!!!
Lots of extra work.

This is the year.
Again me and S/S drove his next OE/F3 boat to victory and everybody was happy.
Well, not really because in the Swedish news papers the headline was Lars Strom won the Paris
6 hours, and S/S name was not in the headlines.
I tried hard to explain for S/S, that I did not do that on purpose and gave S/S the
Trophy.

I raced OE/F3 again with my AKAI/Burgess boat and my brother Lennart as a copilot.
We did really good for 5 hours, and then the power head came loose and broke the mid section.

This was the year when the race was 2 X 1,5 hour but I won both races and no copilot that year.
Very good and fast race.

I was racing the F1 V8 class and we where not invited.

Me and my brother Lennart won the 6 hour race with many laps.
Everything went perfect from start to finish and that was my last Paris 6 hour race.

The year after for some to me unknown reason the race was no more.
I do not know why the
best race in the History of Outboard racing is not happening anymore, but that's the fact.
I won the race three times and can brag about that.
Not many drivers have done that.

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 05:34 PM
More to come

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 05:37 PM
More to come

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Me and S/S the Winner 1980

second photo

Me and S/S and
John Hill/ Pelle Larson finished second

last one

The start, be careful you need to race for 6 hours!!

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 06:50 PM
AKAI -Evinrude CC

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Me and my Burgess/Diamanthuset/Evinrude CC

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Burgess/Mecman/ Evinrude CC and me onboard..

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Me and Lennart

next picture

Me..and the very good Evinrude CC ..F-3 engine

mintominto
06-04-2008, 03:53 AM
Many thanks for these teriffic stories and photos Lars.

It must be very time consuming trying to recall the information, translate, type and to find and scan all the photos that appear in your posts.

The efforts of all concerned are very much appreciated.

Lars Strom
06-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Many thanks for these teriffic stories and photos Lars.

It must be very time consuming trying to recall the information, translate, type and to find and scan all the photos that appear in your posts.

The efforts of all concerned are very much appreciated.

Thank you so very much, mintominto

I see you are from England.

Lots of good and fun Boat racing memories from GB.

Bought at least 10 boats from David Burgess, and they where all very good.

Nottingham, the row boat stadium was one of my favorite places and I raced there 5 times.
London's Victoria Docks was another place, but always ruff.

Raced in Cardiff a few times and then the very interesting Bristol race in Wales.

Bristol was one tough race, and they need to race there again.

One more place, I do not remember the name, but like a Lake and the name of
the Hotel was Barons Court I think.
Raced there 1980 and 1981.

There was so many Drivers from GB years ago, and here is some I remember racing with at different
times.

Roger Jenkins
Tom Percival
Bob Spalding
Nick Cripps
Allan Nimmo
John Hill
Ricky Frost
Fiona Brothers
Jonathon Jones
Jackie Wilson
Mark Wilson
Andy Bullen
Andy Eliott
James Beard
and many more...

Here is a late Christmas Card from Lars.
Photo from Nottingham, 1981

Lars Strom
06-04-2008, 06:12 AM

Used in F3, a few times

Fast Fred
06-04-2008, 05:05 PM
how was the injectors run, was thare a computer, throttle sender?:cool:

Lars Strom
06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
how was the injectors run, was thare a computer, throttle sender?:cool:

Fast Fred,

My brother Lennart and a German driver used/tested this, and I was told it worked pretty good
but I have to ask them about the rest of the parts.

Lars Strom
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I have been asked about my Ranch, and here is a few photos.

200 Acre, 4 small lakes/ponds

Only a few miles to Lake of the Ozarks.

The third photo is Lars and his Deere

Lars Strom
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
The "Boss" Carina, my wife and her Cart

Fast Fred
06-05-2008, 03:45 AM
page 8, number 76, shot 2, how much fuel psi on them carbs? what did you have the reg' set at?:cool:
thanks
FF

Lars Strom
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
page 8, number 76, shot 2, how much fuel psi on them carbs? what did you have the reg' set at?:cool:
thanks
FF

Hi again FF,

I do not remember, but we put the regulator as close as possible to
the engine.

I think we used the standard pressure or what Ric McChesney
told me to use.

I dont recall fuel pressure was a problem using gas, but in
Europe methanol was legal and used that on and off for years.

Methanol kills everything, even the driver......
but when you get it right and only one pinion i the lower unit,
my F3 was flying...

tthibodaux
06-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Lars, was there a big difference in the Mod50 run overseas and the Mod50 that was raced in the states?

Lars Strom
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Lars, was there a big difference in the Mod50 run overseas and the Mod50 that was raced in the states?

Well, I do not know the roles for mod 50,
but OE/F3 was more or less everything is free, but max
850 cc.

Including a photo about our OE/F3 competition, as an Evinrude driver.
The white boat # 1, is me.

Konig also used a 8 cyl. OE/F3, a 350cc hydro engine bolted on top of a 500 cc
hydro engine.

Really fast and the only way to fight back, was to try to spray them
down in the turns or at the start.

PS.
I did see your question about my F1 V8 engine, and my answer next

Lars Strom
06-05-2008, 09:21 AM
The aswer is No.

I raced close to two full seasons in F1 V8. Here in the USA also
1983 and 1984 but no fuel injection then.

Came 1985 with the new really short midsection, that broke in half
at a few races.

I tested that engine, but all my F1 V8 racing stories is coming up later
and there is many.

Here is a few photos from Stockholm 1983

First photo, Lars and his Evinrude
Second My Racing truck

mintominto
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Lars,

You are right, all those big events seem to have vanished these days. Rouen must be just about the last survivor of the traditional great European races.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your racing in the UK. I'm very much looking forward to hearing more stories about your racing with some of those drivers you listed.

I found a couple of photos showing the Nottingham venue you mentioned, they are just national events and probably 2 different years, mid 80's and perhaps very early 90's.

Lars Strom
06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Lars,

You are right, all those big events seem to have vanished these days. Rouen must be just about the last survivor of the traditional great European races.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your racing in the UK. I'm very much looking forward to hearing more stories about your racing with some of those drivers you listed.

I found a couple of photos showing the Nottingham venue you mentioned, they are just national events and probably 2 different years, mid 80's and perhaps very early 90's.

One more good thing with the Race in Nottingham was that
John Player Special (JPS)
was close by and the PR girls......
dated one for a long time

Lars Strom
06-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Lars,

I am looking at the photos, and boat # 52 must be John Hill.

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 07:31 AM
1975 was the year when I started my Evinrude dealership just outside Stockholm, very close to
where I grow up.
Tollare was the name of this old waterfront factory and my sales and service was in the lower part
of that big building.

There was also lots of space outside for storage of boats for the wintertime.

The local news papers wrote about my Racing every week, and my Evinrude place become
a top dealer within a year.

For me Racing was a perfect way to sell outboards and service.
Racing success sell outboards and
my dealership is a good example.

"Win on Sunday sell on Monday" worked for me, and I could use my dealership to put
pressure on OMC to get the Racing support I needed.

Late in the seventy's I bought Melins Motor in Stockholm, one of the better Evinrude dealerships with a very good location for sales.

Sweden use to be a really good market for outboards and I sold mainly bigger outboards, way bigger
than the average dealer in Scandinavia.

I also made a deal with a larger supermarket chain ( OBS ) and sold them lots of outboards, and I was responsible
for all the warranty and service.

This made me in to the largest OMC dealer in Scandinavia and later on in the world, by exporting
back to the USA.!!!

I am not ready to tell that story yet, but later.

An old customer sent me this flyer I made for the start of my business.

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 08:04 AM
This is a full page in "Aftonbladet", nationwide like USA Today.
Makes it a lot easier to get customers to your dealership.

The story is being a World Champ and selling outboards!!!

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 08:10 AM
One more from "Expressen", nationwide paper

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
"Svenska Dagbladet", another Nationwide paper.

More later

mintominto
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Good spot Lars, that is John Hill in the 1st Nottingham photo.

Here's a closer shot of him in the same boat.

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I am pretty sure John Hill is behind me on the second photo.

Many fun races with John Hill, he was a very good driver and we raced
F3 for years.

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Second photo ABBA-Evinrude

Yes, we made a deal with ABBA and I supplied them with an Evinrude 1974,
but they never made a song about Evinrude.
Allan Jackson have one.

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Overstatement? absolutly.

This newspaper says, I am like Björn Borg

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 11:59 AM

I think this is your Dad?

Photo must be from 1984?

mintominto
06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I am pretty sure John Hill is behind me on the second photo.

Many fun races with John Hill, he was a very good driver and we raced
F3 for years.

It does look like John Hill, the colours on that boat were very distinctive. I think he was a signwriter by trade and always took extra care to make the boat look as good as possible.

Can you recall what year that was? I'm guessing around 1981.

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Ben Robinson

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Bob Spalding
Roger Jenkins

Lars Strom
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
It does look like John Hill, the colours on that boat were very distinctive. I think he was a signwriter by trade and always took extra care to make the boat look as good as possible.

Can you recall what year that was? I'm guessing around 1981.

Yes, it is 1981. My sponsor that year was AKAI

mintominto
06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Another F1 V8 boat,

I'm not sure who....:D:D:D

Lars Strom
06-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Took this photo today.

Osage Beach, Lake of the Ozarks.

Sunrise Marine, the local Evinrude dealer......

Master Oil Racing Team
06-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Lars...that is the type of photo that a professional photojournist would take. Your photo tells the story.

BTW...What an incredibly beautiful peace of property you have with those rolling hills and little waterfilled lakes.

Allen J. Lang
06-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Lars- It is sad when you open up a boating magazine and see all the rice burners powering the boats. Some do show a Merc or two and VERY FEW Evinrude, although I have noticed them showing up a little bit more. Need BRP to step up to the plate and push the Evinrude brand.

Lars Strom
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Lars...that is the type of photo that a professional photojournist would take. Your photo tells the story.

BTW...What an incredibly beautiful peace of property you have with those rolling hills and little waterfilled lakes.

Thank you Wayne,

Our place is very nice, but its a full time job to maintain.

About my photo,

My dream is to see America full of Chevy's and Fords again, Mercury and Evinrude outboards,
Champion Spark Plugs etc and all the other good US products that made my dreams possible.

Well, its politics and I better stay out of that.

Lars Strom
06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Update,

My next racing story is about the 1975 racing season.
Starts with the 24 Hours of Rouen race, and a bad crash testing at OMC in Bruges, Belgium.

I have asked Hans Holmen for some help translating and he is pretty busy now, but coming soon

Lars Strom
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
This is from Swedish TV,
Swedish only, but lots of racing to look at.

Right click, and Save Target As...

http://media.savarturbo.se/mats/Lasse_Strom_Riddarfjarden_1983.avi

Maybe you need this to see the video, I am not sure.
Please, let me know if it works or not.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Lars Strom
06-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Paris 6 hours 1980.

Check the result OE,
Storm-Sjolberg!!! Strom-Sjoberg sounds better...

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Wayne,

I have about 50 Racing stories on the Swedish Power Boat Federations
home page and I made a short story about Wayne asking about Leif
Ahlborg.

This morning there was a answer from Leif, and here it is......
__________________________________________________ _______________
Kul Lasse

Wayne och hans pappa är några av de jag 1973 snabbt fattade tycke för "over there". Jag fick genast också stor respekt för Pappa Baldwin. Han fick mig snabbt att förstå, att han och Texas är "biggest in the World". Sonen förståss också den bästa föraren. Han hade ju ett eget Oljebolag som sponsor, så förutsättningarna fans. Oljebolaget "Master Oil" hade han fått av Pappa.

Hälsningar
Leif Ahlborg

Yes, I know it is impossible to understand but all very good reading and I am
going to try to translate, but that is next post

Photo of Leif Ahlborg

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Well Wayne,

Maybe I should ask you first what you believe Leif is writing...

It is about the Baldwin Family and Texas, the oil business and who is the best driver....

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Update,

My next racing story is about the 1975 racing season.
Starts with the 24 Hours of Rouen race, and a bad crash testing at OMC in Bruges, Belgium.

I have asked Hans Holmen for some help translating and he is pretty busy now, but coming soon

Hans Holmen is really busy right now, and no time to translate at this moment.

All my stories are really good, true an fun, but it is very hard for me
to make them as good in English so please understand, I need more time.

I am looking for someone to help me.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the letter from Leif, Lars. If it was in German I could have a pretty good idea, but I never tried Swedish. I got your PM. My satellite modem at the house is not working today and so I am at the office. It may be awhile before I get back on if I can't figure out how to fix it. We all appreciate the job you are doing telling your stories. And it is exciting to hear news from an old friend.

Mark75H
06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Its something like this:
Hey Lasse,

I met Wayne and his father in 1973, I quickly took liking for "over there". I also immediately gained great respect for Dad Baldwin. He led me quickly to understand, that he and Texas were the "biggest in the World". The son of course also the best driver. He had his own Master Oil as a sponsor, so the conditions fans. "Master Oil" he had got from Dad.

Greetings Leif Ahlborg

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Sam,

I have to give you a grade A, and my wife is impressed to.:)

Close to perfect, and thanks for your effort.

I guess we have to eat Johnsonville Brats now!!

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
One more thing Sam,

Maybe I can use the same help, or was that a.........

I don't want to be nosy, but I have so many good stories to tell, but I want them to look professional and grammatical correct.

Jeff Lytle
06-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Pretty easy really, Sam has used a translator such as this:

http://www.google.com/translate_t?langpair=en%7Ces

Just copy / paste the Swedish and translate it into English.

But..............Brats just might do the trick as well! :D

Mark75H
06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Actually I used this page because it let me quickly switch from one to another and compare the results to get a more accurate translation

http://www.stars21.com/translator/swedish_to_english.html

Google is one of the translators on that page

Jeff Lytle
06-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Du är en smart kille Sam! :cool:

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for trying to help me, but did not work.

No good for my story, and I tell you why later.

I am posting my own translation, and the google after, and you see.

Coming next....

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I had my new race agreement with OMC, for the 1975 racing season.
Rouen 24 hours was the first race, but I did not want to run that race but was forced to.

Rouen was usually the first race of the season, but I
had been in South Africa earlier in the year and raced the BP 200

I flew to OMC in Belgium a week before the race to be there when they rigged the boat.
I wanted my power trim buttons and some other things in my own way.
The rules said three drivers per boat and OMC recommended me to use two of there test drivers that was about my size.

Two Clerici boats was prepared for the race, one for me and one for Roger Jenkins.

They put on lights and a bunch of junk, and I had not really taken it seriously
that we are running at night and the commercial barges ran around the clock
on one side of the island in Rouen.

When we arrived in Rouen, it was a lot of boats and most
of them thick fiber glass cats run by local French drivers.
Next surprise was that it was right hand turns around the island !!!
I had only turned right once before in the 2 hours of Duvnäsviken.

As usual in France they speak French only and I did not understand anything that was said at the drivers meeting which lasted for over an hour.

Paul Kalb, the OMC racing boss did not understand anything either, but told me that I was responsible for the whole approach, but he wanted me to
start and hopefully ran the last pass of the race.
The plan was to race two hour pass with not to much fuel
because the boat turned poorly in the ruff water when heavy.
We were out testing a number of times but waves from the commercial traffic
was so large that there was not a chance to run wide open on the backside of the island where the barges run.

Remember that Leif "Honken" Holmquist a Swedish NHL Hockey goalie, drove a V bottom boat in a smaller class, and he
came and asked me lots of things about his V-bottom boat witch behaved strangely in the ruff water.

The start was around 1 PM and around 75 boats took off, I made a perfect start but on the other side of the island, I was hit by the really ruff water and all the ugly fiber glass cats where flying by me.

I said to myself, I am an idiot who starts in this stupid race and put it on Cruise control and just drove for a few hours
before it became dark, cold and rainy.

A few of my two hour pass went well
but the next one like 4 AM began with a big take off at a large wave that I did not see, at the backside of the island.
I landed on top of another boat, which was itself a good thing.
The driver was OK, but his boat sank and that was another good thing for me, because I was able to take my boat back to the pit where we got the boat up on the trailer, repaired the damage and replaced gear case and prop.

When daylight came, we found out that most drivers had problems during the night.
Jenkins was now leading the race, but ran in to problems and ended up on the trailer for a long time.

Now, there was a chance for me to win the race, so the last hour I was driving like a mad man and victory in my first and only 24 hour race was a fact.

I do not know how this race is run today but I would never
do it for all the money in the world again.....

After the party and my first win as a factory driver we headed back to
OMC Bruges to rig a
New boat for Sprint World Formula 3/OE Championship, which would take place a few weeks later,
also in France.

That's my next story....

Lars Strom
06-15-2008, 10:24 AM
After the success in the Rouen 24 hour Race, we began to rig a new Burgess boat at OMC in Bruges.

This was one of the first boats David Burgess built.
The "Boss" Paul Kalb had got the idea that I would run this boat because my driving style could fit this very special sprint boat he ordered.

The boat was only 4" back in the tunnel and that seemed not right, I thought. (Far too low)
Paul was not easy to deal with and he said that you can race with this boat or go home to Sweden.
Okay, I thought and we rigged the boat with a new Evinrude OE engine that
would run on methanol for the first time.
In addition, Paul refused to mount the power trim buttons the way I wanted and the way we did it for the Rouen boat.

He said that when he raced in the United States long time ago he held the speed gauge in one hand and steered with the other !!!!!
and he would not rig all the boats my way,
"in button for my left foot and out in all three buttons on the steering wheel"

So now it was "in and out in the steering wheel" and I was completely confused when you turned the steering wheel, which one was in / out,!

The boat was now ready for the first test on the river behind the Boat house at the factory.
The water is always smooth there and the boat ran pretty good, but I told Paul when I back off the throttle before the turn, the engine continues to run wide open for a few seconds.
Turned out that it is necessary to have different butterflies in the carburetors, without holes when running on methanol and Paul did not have any for the moment.

The boat was very fast, close to 100 miles, but very hard to handle.

Paul wanted to do more prop testing , I thought we should wait for
the new carburetors, but he did not listened to me.

Paul put a different prop on and told me to make a really high speed test and check the RPM.
Lunch break at the factory now and around 1000
workers where watching me testing.

I went as far as a could away from the factory and turned back.
The boat was really flying and I remember the RPM was in the red and just before the turn in front of the factory I by mistake pushed the wrong power trim button on the steering wheel and backed of the foot throttle but the engine was still wide open,
I was heading for the moon... and was told later that I was higher than the building
before the crash.
I ended up at the hospital.
The boat was in pretty bad shape and the engine needed new connecting rods etc.

After this , Paul installed the power trim buttons the way I asked him to do, but I still hated
that boat.

Unfortunately, Burgess repaired the boat and I had to continue with it for a while, before we finally realized that the boat was only for flat water and maybe kilo records, and not good for racing

Next story: DISQUILIFIED???

mintominto
06-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Great behind the scenes stories Lars, to be so uncomfortable in a boat and still push it to the limit is very brave.

Lars Strom
06-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Great behind the scenes stories Lars, to be so uncomfortable in a boat and still push it to the limit is very brave.

Well, I was young and maybe not very smart at that moment, but I learn
my lesson.

At that time we used old style power trim buttons, but I never drove another Race Boat without
the power trim buttons my way.

Lars Strom
06-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I found this photo of the race course at the river Seine.
Around 3 miles long, and in the center of Paris, next to the Eifel Tower

Lots of great memories looking at this.
At the other end of the island is the Statue of Liberty, the little on.
Just to bad they don't race there anymore.

Sometimes my dream is that I am in charge of Evinrude, and Evinrude is back
in Outboard Racing big time.

The Paris 6 hour race is on again, so is Bristol and Amsterdam.
Lake Havasu City and Parker Dam to.

100 F1 OZ Race boats with full sponsorship at the starting grid at every
race.

Not a bad dream, or.....

Bill Van Steenwyk
06-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Lars:

I, along with many others I'm sure, are enjoying your narrative very much. It is not often we get to hear (the inside story) from someone so closely involved with the manufacturer, the distributor/retail part of the business, and also someone who has raced as you did. I hope you will continue to give us the "rest of the story" as a famous newscaster here in the US likes to say. I also hope you will continue to name names, and give us your opinion where OMC went wrong. I have known folks that worked for OMC in lower level positions and heard some stories of how things were done and mishandled, but you were in a very unique position, both selling and racing, so I am really looking forward to hearing what you have to say. I am sure we all are interested in how you ended up in the United States also. You seem to have a great affection for this country.

Keep on keeping on............

Lars Strom
06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Lars:

I, along with many others I'm sure, are enjoying your narrative very much. It is not often we get to hear (the inside story) from someone so closely involved with the manufacturer, the distributor/retail part of the business, and also someone who has raced as you did. I hope you will continue to give us the "rest of the story" as a famous newscaster here in the US likes to say. I also hope you will continue to name names, and give us your opinion where OMC went wrong. I have known folks that worked for OMC in lower level positions and heard some stories of how things were done and mishandled, but you were in a very unique position, both selling and racing, so I am really looking forward to hearing what you have to say. I am sure we all are interested in how you ended up in the United States also. You seem to have a great affection for this country.

Keep on keeping on............

Thank you Bill,

First and most important, I just tell the stories the way it happens.
I do not have any hard feelings and/or are trying to blame someone else
20 -30 years later.

For me Boat racing and the Outboard business was everything and I was pretty difficult myself when
I was younger and in high gear.

I was very focused on winning and success for me was extremely important.

Evinrude outboards has been extremely good to me, and I found out a way to work with
OMC's products that made me a Boat Racing Champ and put money in my pocket.

I was asked by OMC, in a meeting at the airport in Norway one year before they went out of business what they should do
to improve the outboard business in Europe.

I made a 10 page report/plan and it was more or less the same plan I told them 10 years earlier and they did not act 10 years ago.
After that I was invited to 200 Sea Horse Drive, Waukegan and Mr. David Jones.

That was the summer before OMC filed for bankruptcy.

I do not know what happen the next 6 month, but I was not surprised when the news came
about OMC going out of business early year 2000.

I was at my waterfront property next to Ralph Evinrude Test Center in Stuart, Florida the day I got the news.
A sad day.

Again,
I am just a simple man that loves the United States of America, and are really proud to be
part of this great nation.

More stories are coming.....

Lars Strom
06-18-2008, 06:02 AM
The weekend after my crash at the OMC factory I raced that
"extremely low" tunnel boat at the
OE World Championship in France.
Was not feeling very good and had a fat lip.
Roger Jenkins did a very good race and was now the 1975 World OE Champ.

The OE class was a new class and not yet so popular and at the Continental/European
championship in Brodenbach, Germany a few weeks later a Konig won.

I made a new plan for the rest of my 1975 racing season to stick with the very popular SE class, and use
my own brand new Clerici SE boat.

Back in Scandinavia and the next big race was the Scandinavian SE Championship in Finland and that is my
next story I call Disqualified????

The white # 1 boat is my new Clerici.

Lars Strom
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
This is a picture from the Swedish Newspaper Aftonbladet when writing a story about ABBA.
All four members in this very popular group loved Boating and as I wrote earlier we supplied
ABBA with an Evinrude outboard.
You can see the boat in the background, but the point with this is that Björn Ulvaeus (far left)
is wearing my blue Race Boat T-shirt.
So is his wife Agneta, but the child makes it hard to see

Pretty proud of that and thanks for your support back then, ABBA

Lars Strom
06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Lennart is my brother, and he raced F3 many years after me and he is
4 X F3 World Champ 1985,1986,1988 and 1990

Lars Strom
06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
This is from 1990 when I was a F3 Team owner with a very good
driver. (Lennart)

From The Daily News paper in Sweden, DN
one full page in colour.
Not bad!!

Ps. Lennart is to the left

Mark75H
06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Cool stuff! Keep it coming! :)

Lars Strom
06-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Cool stuff! Keep it coming! :)

Thank you Sam,

When I get to the eighties, it gets really interesting!!!!

Well, I bought my first house in Boca Raton, FL 1977 and that's part of Racing to.

Lars Strom
06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Tomorrow is the big Day in Sweden, greater than Christmas and the sun is up
24 hours in the Northern part of Sweden.

Big time Party

If you are interested, click here for more info in English

http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/Article____14830.aspx

Lars Strom
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
The Scandinavian SE Championship 1975 took place in Forsaa, Finland.

Around 25 boats were in place at this beautiful Lake, and Mercury had just released the new 650 XS SE race engine and lots of people was hoping the new Merc could give the OMC drivers a run for the money.

Driver Bo Nilsson was backed up by AGB, the Swedish distributor for Johnson and I by Huzells, the Swedish distributor for Evinrude.

The strongest Finn was Mercury's Bimbo Aminoff and a few more drivers from Denmark and Norway with the new Merc.

The rest was using OMC 3 Cyl. 75 Hp.

Four heat and three counts as normally and a clock start.

I did not know how strong the new Merc was, but I was very well prepared and after the first heat the good news was
that the new Merc was no match (sorry Mercury) and the fight was as usually between Bo and me and some other OMC drivers.

In the second heat Bimbo Aminoff took the lead but after a few laps I past him and so did Bo but
I made a mistake in one turn and Bo past me for the win.

Well, I do not remember exactly but it came down to the last heat and the winner of that heat was the overall winner of the race and I was the lucky one again with only like half a second over Bo Nilsson, and I was now the Scandinavian Champion for the third
consecutive year.

Well not yet, because third was Mercury's Bimbo Aminoff and he filed a protest.

Bo and I did not have any spray paint on our gear cases.

You where allowed to sharpen the skegg, and sand on the gear case if you still was within the template.

We pass that test easy, but the Chief technical inspector said that you must spray paint the gear case,
and ours was just polished aluminum so he disqualified Bo and me.

Bimbo Aminoff was now declared the winner, and Bo Nilsson went nuts.

I know how angry he can get, and it turned ugly and after a major argument we left for Sweden
and straight to Roland Rosenholtz, the Swedish Power Boat Federations chairman to tell
him the story, but he was already informed.

Mr. Rosenholtz made a few phone calls to Finland and UIM.
After a few days I received the Trophy and the price money
from Finland and I was officially the Scandinavian Champion 1975. :)

Thank you Roland Rosenholtz

Photo from the Race

Lars Strom Boat # 1 (Looks like I am losing my helmet!!)

Bo Nilsson Boat # 6

PS. Next story: Lars is swimming again....

Lars Strom
06-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Paul Kalb called me and was upset with me not having spray paint on the gear case and
told me to paint them in the future.
I did, but the bad news was it did not slow me down and the next story is about that
and the European/Continental SE Championship in Sabadia, Italy.

I was asked by Paul if I like to drive his/OMC's SE Clerici or my own boat in that Race, and that
got interesting to, after I took a swim in a local Race in Stockholm with my own very fast boat.

My wife is telling me it is time for a Midsummer break and we are heading to Tan-Tar-A Resort
at Lake of the Ozarks for the weekend without the laptop......

Happy Midsummer

http://www.tan-tar-a.com/

Lars Strom
06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Are working on the next story, and it is about all the rumours before
my next swim and the big race in Sabadia, Italy 1975.

The SE European/Continental Championship

__________________________________________________ ______________

Rest in Peace, Scott Kalitta
You where one of my Racing Heros

Lars Strom
06-22-2008, 03:15 PM
After the Race in Forsaa, Finland and my enormous success in the SE class the past 3 years winning over
50 races rumors was circulating that I had a special engine from OMC.

Well, I DID NOT and the engine I used on my own Clerici SE boat 1975 was a stock short leg 75 Hp
Evinrude from my inventory at my dealership.

A legal higher compression cylinder head was the only change, and the race power trim and stiff
rubber mount.

I can tell the truth now, and the speed advantage was from the boat and the set up and my driving
style.
One way to get the much higher top speed was to raise the engine up much higher than normal race set up.
The stock gear case was like a brake, and I was 2-3" above everybody else, BUT that made it very difficult
to drive/handle the boat.
The prop lost the grip, and the engine lost the cooling water but the trick was to just before
the prop lost the grip to use power trim and throttle/steering to avoid that to happen.

I tested for many days and weeks how far you could drive before the engine started to overheat,
and that was around 900 meters.

I lost many power heads before I found out a way to back of just a little to pick up enough water to cool
the engine on the straight a way before the turn.

On top of that you have to use the power trim in and out in a special way to make the "air bag" under the tunnel to lift the boat
and I have to say that was my best advantage.

The Big race this year was Sabadia Italy, and I called friends in Italy to find out about this new
place for the race and was told that it is in a Lagoon, shallow water and flat water.

That was for me great news, and I worked on raising the engine even higher on the transom and
picked up a few more MPH.

There was a local race in Stockholm before the Big one, and I used that race as a test, and hooked
and rolled.
Damage the boat, a few days after I told Paul Kalb that I preferred to race my own boat instead
of the factory SE boat.

I got help to repair my boat just in time to make it to Italy.

Normally I was hiding everything I was doing, (learned from Molinari) but for this Big race I changed that
and parked the boat in the pit so everybody could see my set up and prop.
I told the Race officials that I want my engine inspected before the race to put an end to "the special engine"
rumor.

They said No, but told me that my engine is going to be inspected very seriously after the race if I was
the winner.

I have never felt so ready to win a race and now all the good things started to happen.

Around 35 boats was at the race, and most drivers looked at my race set up and started to raise
up there engines higher. That was my plan...

Mercury had maybe 10 drivers using the 650 XS.
4 heat, 3 counts and clock start and I was pretty good at them and took the start and turned first
and just pulled away on this long 2 turn race course.
Many drivers was hooking left and right, because they could not drive with the engine that high.

This Race was for me a perfect race. I won 3 heat in a row and did not Race the last one and asked
the officials to start taking my engine apart and they did.

The power head, mid section even the gear case to check gears and impeller and everybody could now see it was a stock 75 hp Evinrude.
Never worked on the ports or pistons.
Just standard.

Lots of disappointed people when my engine was cleared, but Lars was happy and the European Champion for the third consecutive year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won the SE European/Continental championship 4 times.

1973 in Lappenranta, Finland
1974 in Evian, France
1975 in Sabaudia, Italy
1976 in Nora, Sweden... (Yes, I used the new FT 19 S this year and that is an other story later)

Lars Strom
06-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I been asked by PM how fast my SE boat was going.

The answer is around 85-90 MPH, in good weather condition.

Newspaper photo of my 1975 SE Clerici/Evinrude 75hp

Stuart King
06-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Lars,

If I remember correctly the 'Flying Farmer' from England was Nick Cripps.

Lars Strom
06-23-2008, 05:11 AM
Lars,

If I remember correctly the 'Flying Farmer' from England was Nick Cripps.

Thank you Stuart,

I think you are right.

Was not really 100% sure, but Nick Cripps later moved to the Bahamas
and I visited him there.

Lars Strom
06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
The man in the yellow Johnson jacket is OMC´s Race Mechanic Jean,
Do not remember how to spell his name correct, but he was very helpful to me
over the years. (from OMC Belgium)
The man smoking a cigarette is Rutger Friberg and he was the
Swedish drivers team leader.

Lars Strom
06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Yes, I sold Water front properties in Florida a few years.

Fast Fred
06-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, I used the FT 19 S this year and that is an other story later.

:cool:

Lars Strom
06-24-2008, 04:51 PM

Hehe, Fred

I am getting to the European SE Championship in Nora, Sweden
August 1976. (Next year of my stories)

That was the first and only SE race I ever used the FT 19 S.
Absolutely legal.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-24-2008, 07:02 PM
That's some good inside info Lars, on holding on to the motor for another week and the reaction.:cool: Not too many people I think could get away with that and still have the committment intact. A few come to mind, but thank you for telling us the inside story. BTW, after looking at the UIM results incorrectly listing you once as from Denmark and another time as Great Brittain, I went back to look at something I had been curious about before. One of the first pics on the cover of a magazine had some bad colors that looked like you were running under a South African flag, but later pictures showed it to be the colors of the Netherlands...(the boat in your avatar.) I was wondering about that.

Lars Strom
06-24-2008, 07:23 PM
That's some good inside info Lars, on holding on to the motor for another week and the reaction.:cool: Not too many people I think could get away with that and still have the committment intact. A few come to mind, but thank you for telling us the inside story. BTW, after looking at the UIM results incorrectly listing you once as from Denmark and another time as Great Brittain, I went back to look at something I had been curious about before. One of the first pics on the cover of a magazine had some bad colors that looked like you were running under a South African flag, but later pictures showed it to be the colors of the Netherlands...(the boat in your avatar.) I was wondering about that.

Hi Wayne,

I have not seen you for a few days...

Thanks for asking about the flag, but it is a really simple answer.
It is not a flag, it is part of the loggo for my French sponsor Aspen and they
asked me not to use the Swedish flag on my boat!!!!
They said that blue and yellow did not fit there design, so I respected
that.

By the way, I emailed UIM and asked them to change me from being
from Denmark and Great Britain and that error is already corrected,
but the years are still wrong.

Again, thanks for reading my stories and I talked to Leif Ahlborg today.
Placed a comment on "Hey Torrente" Champboat thread about that.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-24-2008, 08:10 PM
I kind of hesitated about the flag question Lars because it looked like part of the sponsor's logo. That's what it looks like on your black & white avatar, but when I saw it in color I figured it was the Netherlands flag. If it was vertical like the French then maybe I would have figured it out.

I am now going to check out that "Hey Torrente" which I had planned to do anyway. I need Leif's autograph, so I'll get back to you. One of your autographed pics would be great too.:D

Fast Fred
06-25-2008, 04:51 AM
how much ya need for that intake thare Lars ?:cool:

Lars Strom
06-25-2008, 07:38 AM
how much ya need for that intake thare Lars ?:cool:

Fred,

I will have an answer in a few days.

Lars Strom
06-25-2008, 08:26 AM
1976 was the year a lot of bad thing happen with Evinrude in Sweden

Huzells the long time distrubutor for Evinrude and a BIG supporter of my Racing
got the news from OMC that 1976 was the last year for them as a
distributor for Sweden and Billy Huzell was very upset with OMC.

Billy Huzell told me to keep the engine one more week to use it in
Roslagsloppet to win the E class and I did ahead of Finland's
Fabritius brothers in a ARGO Merc 650 XS.

I get to all this in my 1976 Racing stories

OMC cut Billy Huzell off and shot them self in the foot.

Mr. Huzell went to Japan and got the rights for Suzuki Outboards in Sweden
and spent millions of dollars to market Suzuki Outbords in Sweden.
All this happen late 1976-77.

Thats when I made the deal with Volvo Penta Konig for one year.

Photo of the very wealthy and successful business man Billy Huzell
(to the right, Lars left)

Fast Fred
06-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Lars Strom
06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
When I was back in Sweden after the Race in Italy I received a letter from USA.
I could not wait to open it, and it was from Bill Muncey and an entry form for the Race of Champions
at the Miami Marine Stadium.

If I remember right there was 15 SE Cats rigged with an Evinrude 75 hp.
All the boats prepared the same way and the plan was to find the best driver in the world.

This was it for me, my big dream to travel to the United States and Race.

I filled out the entry form with my racing resume and photos.

I was 100% sure to be part of this dream race but after a few weeks I received a new letter from
Bill Munceys race of Champions, with disastrous news.

I did not qualify, you had to be a World Champ and there was no World Championship race in the
SE class back then.
I was now 3 times European/Continental Champion, but not good enough.

I asked Evinrude in Sweden and OMC to help me and they tried, but the answer was still no.

At that time I felt like the whole world was coming to an end, but life went on.............. and the Race,
without me

mintominto
06-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi Lars,

Here's your request,

The 850cc competitors list from the 1975 Cardiff programme.

Hope it's OK.

Lars Strom
06-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Thank you Mintominto

Very good,

I am working on translating the story.

Bo Nilsson and me went together to the Cardiff race, and after that to
Amsterdam.

I do not remember if Amsterdam was 2 x 1,5 hour or 3 hour Race.

The Cardiff race very interesting because the ON World Championship
took place at the same time and one of the reasons we went there.

After you read my story, please let me know if you remember the race the
same way.

Lars Strom
06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Back in Sweden I made a deal with friend and the always hard racer Bo Nilsson to go to the Race in
Cardiff, England and Amsterdam.

Took my trailer to a welding shop and they spent a week to change the trailer into a two boat trailer
and it turned out pretty good.

We had never been to England before so I called Thor Line and made a really good deal for tickets
on the big ferry. Pretty expensive at that time with car and the trailer.
It is a 24 hour trip so you
need a cabin to.

Everything was at the last minute, and we was running late to Gothenburg and the Thor terminal.

The big heavy trailer slowed my Opel Station wagon down, and we got to Gothenburg just in time to see
the big ship leave, without us.

Bad start and we went to a Cargo Line Company and they promised us to make space for our car
and trailer.
The ship left a few hours later, but this ship was heading somewhere else in GB, and there was no
cabin so we had to sleep in the Opel.

The captain of the ship was friendly and he promised us that we are going to be the first ones off the ship.
Driving to Cardiff was going to take many hours and we where late,
because we missed the first ferry.

Docked in England I was ready to go and Bo was reading the map.
We left the ferry as the first car and I was driving true the big port and got the big surprise
a few minutes later,
when we found out we was on the wrong side of the road....

Bad mistake, but driving on the left side of the road was a new thing for me and we was in a hurry.
We arrived in Cardiff just in time to make the race.

Well, the race was in a big dock like a giant swimming pool and my boat was not set up for
that extremely ruff water and no time to change that before start

After 10 minutes in the race I parked the boat to watch Bo race, but he parked next to me and we watch the SE race together.

This was not a big race for the SE class, but the ON World Championship took place at the same time and was part of
the reason we went to Cardiff

As a big Evinrude fan I wanted to see Cees VD Velden, that just switch from Mercury to Johnson
win the race.

I think this was the first Race OMC used a new type of mid section, instead of the old kind of
ugly looking longer mid section.

I remember Renato Molinari and Bob Herring had the new look Molinari boats, really low and smooth

Cees did pretty good but I think he had a bad incident and damage the boat Saturday, but was allowed
to take off the engine and bring the boat somewhere else overnight to have it fixed.

Sunday morning Cees was ready to race again and the ruff water was a problem for the bigger
boats to and after a really good race Cees VD Velden was the new ON World Champion.
I remember being invited to a party at this big fancy building with the Lotus F1 owner
Colin Chapman.

Well, my race weekend was nothing to brag about but I fell in love with Boat racing in GB and
that was the start of many good races for me in GB.

After the race, we stayed in London for a few days, before Bo and me was heading to Amsterdam
to try to stay out off trouble..... and that's next story

Roy Hodges
06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=Lars Strom;56782]When I was back in Sweden after the Race in Italy I received a letter from USA.
I could not wait to open it, and it was from Bill Muncey and an entry form for the Race of Champions
at the Miami Marine Stadium.

If I remember right there was 15 SE Cats rigged with an Evinrude 75 hp.
All the boats prepared the same way and the plan was to find the best driver in the world.

This was it for me, my big dream to travel to the United States and Race.

I filled out the entry form with my racing resume and photos.

I was 100% sure to be part of this dream race but after a few weeks I received a new letter from
Bill Munceys race of Champions, with disastrous news.

I did not qualify, you had to be a World Champ and there was no World Championship race in the
SE class back then.
I was now 3 times European/Continental Champion, but not good enough.

I asked Evinrude in Sweden and OMC to help me and they tried, but the answer was still no.

At that time I felt like the whole world was coming to an end, but life went on.............. and the Race,............................................. .................................................. ............
.................................................. .................................................. .............................. the race of champions Lars speaks of ...........the boats were Seebolds .....................
Set up & tested to within 1/2 mph by PAUL BENDER . he was gonna be an alternate driver, if the need had arisen. To equalize the speed ,he had to add weight to some boats . I believe those boats were later sold for $3500 each, ready to race (complete )

Lars Strom
06-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Roy Hodges,

What happen to your reply about the Race of Champions???

I am still disappointed I missed that opportunity.

Roy Hodges
06-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Roy Hodges,

What happen to your reply about the Race of Champions???

I am still disappointed I missed that opportunity....................................... ..........
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................
Look at the bottom of page 16 (previous page ) it's still there . I don't blame you for being dissapointed , i would be too, if i were a top racer back then ( I WAS NOT) .- Roy

mintominto
06-27-2008, 04:58 AM
CARDIFF 1975,

Your story is pretty much as it happened. Cees and Tom Percival battled closely on day 1 swapping the lead several times in the opening heat.
Cees eventually took the win but the inside rear of the left hand sponson blew out on his return to the pits. This left Percival as overnight points leader after an easy 2nd heat win with Cees absent.

The boat was taken to the Cougar yard in Southampton (some distance) where Chris Hodges worked all night on the repair, all this took place under strict supervision from a race official.

Cees returned to Cardiff on day 2 needing to win both the remaining heats. The 3rd heat produced one of the most entertaining races ever seen, yet again both drivers trading the lead at almost every turn. Cees seemed to be quicker in one direction with Percival having the advantage in the opposite, eventually Cees just edged it to take the win.

Just when heat 4 promised more of the same, Percival's T3 suffered electrical problems. I think Cees realized he could now afford to nurse the boat home and allowed Bob Hering to pass him and take the final heat. Enough points were gained for Cees to be world ON champion, all in all a great meeting apart from the miserable weather.

Cardiff docks still remain as a venue for the occasional meeting until present day, although much local development has taken place making the entire area almost unrecognizable compared with back in the day.

Seems like you were out of luck for the Cardiff meeting right from the start, what with just missing the ferry followed by an unexpected long road journey. Sometimes you just kinda know when things start like that it aint gonna be your weekend.

tthibodaux
06-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Hey Lars, did you race in the US against the World race in Miami in about 1984?? That was the last time I remember going to Miami Marine Stadium to race. Don't remember who all was there besides Seebold, Buck Thorton, John Sherlock and dad but I do remember it was a great race!!

Lars Strom
06-27-2008, 03:31 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................
Look at the bottom of page 16 (previous page ) it's still there . I don't blame you for being dissapointed , i would be too, if i were a top racer back then ( I WAS NOT) .- Roy

Hi again Roy,

Thanks for the info.

I did not know they used Seebold boats, and Evinrude engines, odd combination.

Please, let us know more about the Race, do you remember the 15 drivers? and the winner?

I remember Roger Jenkins was in the Race, and I asked him many times how he finished, but he did not say very much and no info in Europe after the Race.

No Boatracingfacts back then....

Any pictures??

Lars Strom
06-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey Lars, did you race in the US against the World race in Miami in about 1984?? That was the last time I remember going to Miami Marine Stadium to race. Don't remember who all was there besides Seebold, Buck Thorton, John Sherlock and dad but I do remember it was a great race!!

Hi again Timmy,

No, I did not race there.

I raced in Minneapolis and Pittsburgh F1 V8,
and all my F1 racing started in 1983.

I am planning to write all those stories to, but many years of F3 racing first.

Thanks for asking and reading.

Lars Strom
06-27-2008, 07:23 PM
I have been writing my Racing stories in Sweden for about 8 month.
For a few weeks ago I received an email from a reader telling me that he is the owner of my old Piraya wing boat,
I build 1973 and sold 1976.
My son Richard drove to Norrtälje to look at the boat, and the owner lives only half a mile from
my sister Ewa.

Remember, I have not seen this race boat in 32 years and here it is...

Boat upside down, and the old Evinrude 75hp in the shed...

Roy Hodges
06-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi again Roy,

Thanks for the info.

I did not know they used Seebold boats, and Evinrude engines, odd combination.

Please, let us know more about the Race, do you remember the 15 drivers? and the winner?

I remember Roger Jenkins was in the Race, and I asked him many times how he finished, but he did not say very much and no info in Europe after the Race.

No Boatracingfacts back then....

Any pictures??

.................................................. .................................................. .............................
As I recall, the race was won by Billy Shoemacher (spelling ?) , the great Unlimited Hydro plane driver. I was not there , but it was on A B C's "wide world of sports " on T V , the first scheduled showing was post poned to a later date . A B C cared little for boat racing . The rest i was told by Paul Bender , he was my friend and boat dealer (Evinrude) in nearby Suisun ,california ( between San Francisco & Sacramento, California )Evinrude actually sent (by mail) fancy invitations to evinrude customers to watch the race on T V . (i got one ) .

Bill Van Steenwyk
06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Roy:

I think you have a very good memory after all these years. I thought I remembered it being an Unlimited driver, but I was thinking Bill Muncey. Now that you mention Shumakers (?) name I think you are absolutely correct.
I think I will call "Mr. Bill" in the next day or so and find out for sure.
I can't be sure after all these years, but I also remember the format was to be 3 or 4 best drivers from the various categories, i.e. Stock, OPC, Inboard, etc.
I remember Billy running back and forth for hours in the Meramec River just north of George Winter park testing the first boat or two built for that event with Bill Sr. standing on the bank trying prop after prop for setup/testing purposes. I also remember Billy came walking back in the shallow water pulling one of the boats after he blew it over testing at least a mile or so up river from where we were standing while he was testing. We heard the motor stop but had no idea he blew over until he came walking back in the shallow water next to the bank pulling the boat by hand, wet all over but not hurt. Very Very lucky as there was no one else around, and we were out of sight of where he went over.

mintominto
06-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Stumbled across this article in the old archives.

Lars Strom
06-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Thank you Roy, Mintominto and Bill for all the info.
Well, maybe the $10,000.00 price money was the biggest reason I was so disappointed not
being part of the "Dream race"

I am pretty sure you must be a World Champ in any UIM, or APBA class that year to be part of the
race.
I remember OMC came back to me and said there was no way they could help me
in to the race without make someone else upset.

If I remember right, there was no second race the year after.

Lars Strom
06-29-2008, 08:33 PM
My story about the race in Amsterdam is coming up next,
but first I like to tell this little story.

I meet this US driver for the first time in the pit in Amsterdam and he was a fun man and said
this to me:

Lars, in Europe they drive Formula one cars in ballet shoes, in the US we
drive Formula 5000 cars in Texas boots... and then he smiled and
jumped in to his Evinrude powered OZ boat and lead the race.
He later rolled in one of the turns, the water was
really ruff in the Port of Amsterdam

I become a good friend to this man and raced him for many years.

Well, I am going to let you guess who this person is??

Master Oil Racing Team
06-30-2008, 07:31 AM
How about Tommy Posey or Johnnie Sanders?

Lars Strom
06-30-2008, 10:44 AM
How about Tommy Posey or Johnnie Sanders?

No,
but he raced F1 V8 in Stockholm 1985 and lost his engine
when the med section broke. :)

Miss BK
06-30-2008, 12:49 PM
No,
but he raced F1 V8 in Stockholm 1985 and lost his engine
when the med section broke. :)

Gene Thibodaux?

mintominto
06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Barry Woods ???

Lars Strom
06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Barry Woods ???

Yes, Barry Woods.

He is a fun man, and lots of good memories from Paris, Bruges, Stockholm
and Paris.

Normally OMC booked all the drivers at the same Hotel, and crazy things happen all the time.

I feel sorry for the rental car company's back then.....:o

Miss BK
06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
In Lake Havasu, on Smoketree Avenue just a block off McCullough Ave, there was a large wash (ditch) that created a large "dip" in the road. Many many rentals were sent flying as they crested that "dip". The terminology was, "Let's go dipping" and those race boat drivers and crew members didn't mean swimming...lol

Names withheld to protect the pseudo-innocent. ;)

Lars - did you ever go "dipping"?

Lars Strom
07-01-2008, 07:23 AM
In Lake Havasu, on Smoketree Avenue just a block off McCullough Ave, there was a large wash (ditch) that created a large "dip" in the road. Many many rentals were sent flying as they crested that "dip". The terminology was, "Let's go dipping" and those race boat drivers and crew members didn't mean swimming...lol

Names withheld to protect the pseudo-innocent. ;)

Lars - did you ever go "dipping"?

Hi again Miss BK

I newer got the opportunity to race Lake Havasu, but been there many times
in my own vehicles.
Sound like that's the wrong car for "dipping" on Smoketree Ave.

I tried this rental 2005, but to many restrictions.....

Bill Van Steenwyk
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Lars:

I have been offered this as a birthday present, but have not gotten that interested yet. What are the "restrictions"?

Lars Strom
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Lars:

I have been offered this as a birthday present, but have not gotten that interested yet. What are the "restrictions"?

Well,

I was expecting more, but I guess liability makes them to be careful.
We where 8 friends and paid from $450.00 up to over $2,000.00 depending on how many laps you drive.
You have to follow an instructor all the time, and there was no racing on your own.

Put it this way, fun to have done but I am not going again.

I have heard that Buddy Baker has a better set up, and you have more time by your self on the
race track

Try it, but buy the least expensive package and ad if you like to drive more behind the slow instructor...

Lars Strom
07-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Back then Amsterdam was a big race, so was Rotterdam but I only raced in Amsterdam 1975 and 1976.
At that time Cees VD Velden was a superstar in Holland and he was one of the reasons for this race enormous
success.

After my "racing flop" in Cardiff, Bo and I headed for Amsterdam and came a few days early to the race,
to check out if the rumors was true about Amsterdam, and it was.

I do not remember if the Race was 2 x 1.5 hours or a 3 hour race.
We did not bring the Paris 6 hour refueling equipment so I guess it was 2 x 1.5hour.

Most of the OMC/Mercury's ON/OZ drivers was in the race.
In Europe 1975, the new "in thing" was the Plat form shoes and Bo and I bought two pairs just for fun
and used them in the Pit.
I remember Renato Molinari looking at me and shaking his head, and we where laughing

Lots of boats in this Race and to be honest, I do not remember more than that I won the race
ahead of Bo and the rest in the SE class.

Bo was used to be second, but he always won the party after the Race.

He is a very fun and a great person.
We are still good friends.

After the race we headed back to Sweden to get ready for the Paris 6 Hours.

Next story is about the 1976 racing season and I am going to make that one short.
More or less the same thing.
I am winning all the SE races and people is getting sick and tired of that.

Sorry, can not find any photos from Amsterdam

Lars Strom
07-04-2008, 05:29 AM
232 years

Lars Strom
07-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Check this one out...
10,000 classic American cars in Vasteras, SWEDEN
Today and tomorrow.

(in English)

http://www.bigmeet.com/

Lars Strom
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Info soon...

Lars Strom
07-09-2008, 07:30 AM
OMC Sweden was running this ad in all the Boating Magazine over in Scandinavia 1983.

The print says that you should buy the Original Evinrude outboard, and not the other brand
because it is a Copy of the Evinrude 3 Cylinder, V4 and V6

The big print says that they have not yet made a copy of the Evinrude V8
2 stroke racing outboard.

By the way, it is still the correct....

Thanks, Evinrude.
I am proud to be part of this very controversial ad at that time.

Lars Strom
07-11-2008, 06:54 AM
I was very excited about year 1976.
This was my second year as an exclusive authorized Evinrude dealer, and my business was
doing way better than expected.

On top of that the SE Class European/Continental Championship race was going to take place
in Sweden and I could be the first driver in history to win 4 in a row.

I asked Franco Clerici to build me a boat with some of my own input, and for the first time Evinrude/Sweden
sent a driver to Cremona Italy to pick the boat up.

The boat was exactly the way I wanted, and we painted the boat to match the 1976 Evinrude Hustler.

OMC told me to start the season with a stock 75 hp motor, and as soon as the new Evinrude FT 19 S
was ready they sent me one.

There was rumors that Mercury was coming out with a second generation of 650 XS and I was
disappointed that the new Evinrude was delayed.

Early every spring the Swedish Power Boat Federation invited all the Press and Media to a Party
at Gåshaga Wärdshus.
I took my very good looking boat to that place early in the morning and cover it up to make it more interesting.

The press people asked me if they could take a photo of my "secret Boat", and I told them No.
Only the rear of the Clerici Boat.

The day after I got all the headlines in the news papers and many pictures of the Evinrude motor.
Not my "secret boat"....

The plan worked perfect!!
Remember, I was selling outboards not Race boats.

We raced 5 or 6 races, before the Big one in Nora, and my boat was perfect.
First place in all the races and the next one was now the European Championship.

One week before the Race I was told the new Evinrude FT 19 S was on the way to Sweden.
Way to late, because I was not happy starting to change things only a few days before
the Big Race.
I felt pretty good I could win with my stock 75, but OMC told me to install the new engine.

We did and tested.
The top speed was better, but not so good after the turns.

Well, at the Race in Nora there was many people upset because only Bo Nilsson and I had the
new engine.
I told OMC I can win with the old engine, but was told to just race and stay out of politics.

Lots of SE Boats at the Race, and I was worried about sabotage at night, so my friend
Christer "Monstret" Eriksson was guarding the boat all night with jumper cables in his hand to
scare people away.

RACE DAY

Same type of Race, 4 heat 3 counts and clock start or flying start as it was called in Swedish.

Everything was perfect at the last practice: the boat, the balance, set up, prop, engine and the driver was ready.

Without bragging, but I was very good to time the start.
Always wide open when I crossed
the starting line and that is a big part of winning a race.

I won the first three heat and Gert Lowisin was starting to take my engine apart when they
still raced for second place.
At that time I did not want Gert to do that, because he worked for Volvo Penta and was part
responsible for the Volvo Penta/Konig OE engine.

Anyway, he was the Chief Technical Inspector for the race and after 3 hours he said officially that my
engine was 100 % legal.

Now I was 4 X European Champion and celebrated with a big Outboard sale at my dealership.

The next race was the OE World Championship in Aurontzo, Italy and Paul Kalb told me
he was going to use some local Italien Drivers for the Race to save money.
Cut budget he told me!!!

That's when Billy Huzell the owner of the Evinrude Sweden told me to keep the Evinrude Ft 19 S and race Roslagsloppet next weekend
with my Offshore Piraya two seater.

Well, I did and won the Race with Bertil Wik as a co-pilot.
We was so fast, and arrived way to early in Oregrund. (2,5 hour race with refueling)
There was no finish line yet....

Bo and I made a plan to fly to Auronzo, Italy just to watch the OE World Championship.
The ON World Championship was at the same time.

Paul Kalb was not happy to see me there and Roger Jenkins was upset with Paul Kalb to,
so Roger was racing the Volvo Penta/Konig at this race.

This was the first time the Volvo was doing really good and Jenkins was leading the Race
when something went wrong.
Well, my brain started to spin: Me - Volvo - Sweden - Problem with Paul Kalb -
OMC kicking out Billy Huzell who really was behind my success in Racing

The drivers Paul Kalb picked was way behind in the race and I was smiling.

Remember that OMC was using Laughing gas to go faster, but that did not help.

This was also the first time I did see Renato Molinari play dirty, well not really Renato but his
second boat driven by Zoppi I think his name was.

He sank Cees VD Velden on purpose by running in to his boat just in front of us at the far end of the race
course.

Molinari ended up winning both OE and ON at that race, but not really in a proper way. (ON)

Paul Kalb had a bad bad weekend, and after the Race he apologized.
Now he wanted Bo and Lars to race Amsterdam and Rotterdam with one of OMCs OE boats.

That's the next story...

Master Oil Racing Team
07-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Really look forward to each part of your story Lars. Thought I'd throw in a pic of Roger Jenkins and his Volvo motor as part of your story.

Lars Strom
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Wayne

I raced Roger Jenkins for many years and we were sometimes good friends
but many times at war...

I visited Roger as a friend 1991 last time at his house in Wales, and
stayed there for a few days.

We where drinking Carlberg beer, laughing about old days and that was a lot of fun.

Thank you Roger,

You made my Racing so much better

Lars Strom
07-12-2008, 12:16 PM
After Auronzo, Italy Bo and I took my Chevy Cheyenne Full size 4x4 Blazer to OMC in Bruges, Belgium
to prepare an OE Boat for Amsterdam and Rotterdam. (OMC paid for the fuel).

OMC booked us at the Hotel Sofitel, together with all the drivers from the USA.

We had a really good time at this fancy Hotel and I remember one of the US race drivers drove his Rental car
through the automatic big glass doors all the way up to the front desk.

Well, they did not like than, so he just turned the little rental car around and drove out from the
Hotel ..!!!!

No, I am not telling you who that was... but the Hotel complained to OMC about the little incident.

At the factory Paul Kalb told us we could use two of his boats, but I did not like them.
Bo picked one and I told Paul that I rather drive my own SE boat in the two Races.
The problem was that my boat was in Sweden.

Paul told me he pay for the transport so I called World Famous Christer Monstret Eriksson in Sweden.
24 hours later my Boat was in Amsterdam.

That Race was very ruff and many boats broke, but my Clerici was strong and very good.

I won both Races, and Bo had bad luck and did not finish any Race.

Next Race was Paris 6 hours and I picked Bo as my co-pilot in a Paul Kalb OMC OE Boat.

I don't know, but Paul always ordered boats that was no so good.

On page 7, story # 69 is all my Paris 6 hour experience.

Please, go back and read.

Paris was always the last Race of the season.

Next story is about 1977, and Lars is for the first and only time unfaithful to my Evinrude Love.

Lars Strom
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I found a photo of Bo Nilsson.

Bo is to the right (Lars to the left)
We raced for many years and are still very good friends.
I talked to Bo today.
He is in the horse racing business now.

Lars Strom
07-13-2008, 06:44 AM
The 2 Hours of Duvnäsviken or The Swedish 2 Hours GP

This race took place in Nacka, my little hometown a few miles outside Stockholm.
Actually where my Dealer ship was located.

Normally this race was in the summertime, but no permit from the local government so Per Benson
the Officer of the Day for the Race changed date to late October.

This was a very popular race, and a mix of all kind of race boats.

I remember there was frost in the morning, before the race.

Well, Barry Woods told me the year before in Amsterdam that they used Texas Boots in the
Formula 5000 cars in USA.
So I put my new Texas boots on and headed for the race and people looked funny at me.

Are you going to race like that? was the question from lots of people.
My answer was yes.

The race was fun with a mix of Outboards, Inboards, Offshore Boats and SE boats.

After two hours, a really ice cold driver with Texas Boots was the overall winner, and everybody was
shaking there heads...and I was laughing.:cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
07-13-2008, 06:59 AM
A great story Lars.:D Here is an article that appeared in the January 1977 issue of Powerboat & Waterskiing.

Lars Strom
07-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi again Wayne,

I have to be honest.

I remember this "Profile" in Powerboat and Waterskiing Magazine from 1977, but I have not
seen or read it for 30 years.

Thank you so much for posting it.

Well, I got in trouble over that article in Sweden.

Some people in Sweden was very upset that I was not supporting the SB class.
SB was a class for 25 HP outboards and at that time a Junior class.

I should not have made that statement, but we used to call it the "Hot Dog race".

Meaning when they where racing, the spectators went to get Hot Dogs.

31 years later, I think it is time to apologize for that statement.

I am also really happy to see that my Racing stories is matching this article.

Again the last time I read this article was 30 years ago and I got tears in my eyes reading it today.

LIQUID NIRVANA
07-14-2008, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Lars Strom;54914]Thank you,

The picture of the yellow SE Boat with # 48 was taken the week after
Paris 6 hours 1974.
Evinrude Sweden made this poster.
That was the first year the 70 HP came with the smaller gearcase, for Racing
only.
Standard in 1975, short shaft only 75 hp

That is very interesting Lars about the smaller gearcase. We received a short shaft 1973 MODEL 75hp with that smaller gearcase at a dealership I worked for in 1974 in Australia. It was obviously a pre production motor. Fast Fred & I were discussing it sometime ago on this forum, I think. I will do a search.

HERE IT IS: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4533&highlight=evinrude

Lars Strom
07-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi Ken,

I recieved the short shaft 70 hp? really early 1974 (maybe January)
with the smaller gear case and the race powertrim installed from the factory.
I think a different cylinderhead to and stiff rubbermount.

This engine replaced the 1973 SE engine called 65 SS, with the old
X 115 gearcase and the shifter on the mid section.

The new engine was close to 15 miles faster than the "old" 65 ss
on the same boat.

One more thing, the steering bars/wings came in the same box.
I am 100% sure the engine was made in Waukegan, not Bruges.

Lars Strom
07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
One more thing Ken,

If you look really close on that yellow # 48 Clerici, you
can see the gearcase is 1975 blue.

OMC replaced my gearcase before the start in the Paris 6 Hours.
I was told the new one was little stronger and hade a beefed up
bearing housing.

There was a small problem with the bearing housing if you run the engine really high
up on the transom as I did.

Lars Strom
07-15-2008, 06:03 AM
The Evinrude 70hp? from 1974 was as good as the 1975 and 1976
Evinrude 75 hp used for SE Class racing.

Only when the FT 19S came late 1976 did I pick up speed from more power.
The speed increase 1975 and 1976 was from better boats and set up.

Photo from 1974,
Clerici SE Cat with Evinrude 70 hp

LIQUID NIRVANA
07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
The Evinrude 70hp? from 1974 was as good as the 1975 and 1976
Evinrude 75 hp used for SE Class racing.

Only when the FT 19S came late 1976 did I pick up speed from more power.
The speed increase 1975 and 1976 was from better boats and set up.

Photo from 1974,
Clerici SE Cat with Evinrude 70 hp

Thanks Lars,

The motor we got was a 1973 65hp 15" with a "Nitro" gearcase .536 gear ratio from memory.

Lars Strom
07-15-2008, 07:24 PM
This year was the year of big change for me in Racing.
OMC did many things I disagree with, like kicking out the Swedish Evinrude distributor Huzells.
My relationship with Paul Kalb, the overseas Racing boss was not so good.

Many people was sick and tired of me winning more or less everything for 4 years in the SE class
and most drivers wanted to switch to OE instead of SE.

Paul Kalb called me and offered me a free OE engine and all the parts and service free and travel cost.

Well, my old Racing deal with Huzells use to be way better and I made money the last 3
years from Racing.

At that point I run across Rutger Friberg, an old friend.
Rutger was in charge of Volvo Penta
and som other Volvo Divisions.

I told him to make me a good offer to Race the Volvo Penta König and after a few days he
got back to me with something really good.

Lots of up front money, paying for boats and racing trucks and a nice budget for travel cost etc.
and to be the number one Volvo Penta-Konig driver.
Access to Gert Lowisin full time for the Race season.
Gert was really smart and good with props and getting horse power out of engines.

OE was a no restriction class and I signed the deal with Volvo the next day.

I also included a Offshore deal to have free equipment to have a shot at the over all winner of Roslagsloppet. A very big Offshore race back then in Sweden.

The first thing I did after signing the Volvo deal was to contact Bengt Nilsson.
Bengt was the CEO for the new company, OMC Sweden.

Bengt use to be the CEO for Huzells Marine Division and he got the job for the new OMC set up in Sweden.

I told Bengt this is maybe no good for my Evinrude dealership, but Racing was a big part of
my life and the Volvo deal was to good to turn down.

Now my next big dilemma happened.

A few days later Billy Huzell came to my dealership with the Sales manager for Suzuki outboards.
Huzells offered me very good net pricing, if I signed up to be a Suzuki dealer!!!.
Way better conditions then OMC.
After a long discussion I ordered 150 Suzuki outboards.
The best part was 1 year credit and no interest.

A few days later Bengt Nilsson called me and asked if the Suzuki rumors was true.....

I said yes, and felt really bad.....

The next day I called Huzells and canceled the Suzuki deal and asked them to pick up all
the 150 outboards ASAP!!!!

//

Next is my 1977 Racing story

Photo:
Rutger Friberg is the man behind the Volvo Penta Outboard.
Lars is to the right.

mintominto
07-16-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi Lars,

Great stories, sounds like there were some very difficult decisions to make at this time.

Can you remember how many of these Volvo motors ran back in those days, and when was the last year they were used ?

Lars Strom
07-16-2008, 05:07 AM
This is the boat Volvo Penta gave me for the Offshore race Roslagsloppet.
Volvo Penta, USA sent me a "really good" GM small block and we were leading the race when
the engine dropped a valve.

Yes, this is the same photo as earlier, but the only one I have
of the 24' Rum Runner

Lars Strom
07-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Hi Lars,

Great stories, sounds like there were some very difficult decisions to make at this time.

Can you remember how many of these Volvo motors ran back in those days, and when was the last year they were used ?

Hi Mintominto,

Yes it was very hard to tell Mr. Billy Huzell No to be a Suzuki dealer.
Must OMC dealers did not.

There was more stuff going on, that I do not want to write about.

There was maybe 5 driver using the Volvo 1977, one more Swede and
Roger Jenkins.
Some German drivers to, Becker and Dieter Konigs relative but I do not
remember his name. (Maret maybe)
We raced Paris 6 hours together.

Must racing with the 3 Cyl. OE Volvo Konig was in late 1976 and 1977.
Konig made a 6 cylinder OE engine I was fighting for years later, when I
was back with OMC.

Lars Strom
07-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Well, one more thing.

I did sell all my Volvo Konig stuff to Swe-Marin in Sweden and they
raced the 3 Cyl. 1978 and 1979.
Pelle Larsson was the driver.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Gunter Becker was one of the German drivers along with Dieter's nephew Joachim Mareth.

Lars Strom
07-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Gunter Becker was one of the German drivers along with Dieter's nephew Joachim Mareth.

Thank you Wayne,

Dieter Koning was a first class person and I became a close friend of him.
He open up a new door in my Racing life.

By racing a Konig I was accepted in a very nice way in Germany and
spent many weeks at the Konig factory in West Berlin.

Dieter invited me to many different places in West Berlin, even his home.

When I was riding in his big brand new Mercedes S 280 I said to Dieter,
this car is pretty strong to be a small 6 cyl. engine?

Dieter was laughing and said, Lars it is a S 600 with a S 280 sticker on
the trunk!!!!

Dieter was a low profile person and I enjoyed every minute around him.

Well, I become a good friend of Hans Georg Krage to and he was way
different than Dieter.
Hans was racing OE with a hydro and to watch him testing props
at the very narrow canal outside Dieters factory was unbelievable.
His boat was not touching the water and in an angle like it was ready
to fly every second.

Well, there is more about my Konig experience to come..

mintominto
07-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the information Lars and Wayne.

I found an old shot of Roger Jenkins with the Volvo, I'm guessing it must be 1977?

Master Oil Racing Team
07-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Here is a copy from a 1977 World Cup program from Berlin listing the drivers.

In 1976 I was supposed to race OB in Berlin, but Hans told the press I would be racing OA and OE so that's what I did. About half the field was propriders, and the rest cats. I wasn't sure I would like that. Dieter told me it was the biggest race ever in Berlin. 108 entries for classes OA,OB,OC,OD and OE. Drivers came from East and West Germany, Austria, Belgium, Sweden, Finland, France, Italy and USA. I had a Volvo Konig on my proprider and would be racing for Volvo Penta in the Manufacturers Championship. Unfortunately, my motor ran badly in all the heats and I didn't contribute a single point for Volvo Penta. I have more photos about Volvo Konigs Mintominto and Lars, but first a story about Hans Krage.

After the banquet at DePue last year, Joe Rome, Fred Hauenstein, Tim and Ryan Butts, Steve Litzell and myself stood outside after every one else was gone, swapping stories. Steve Litzell lived with Dieter for awhile and told this story. I have to laugh once again thinking about it. Steve told it in an imitation of Dieter's voice and mannerisms.

Dieter called Steve "Boy". They were testing on that canal and Dieter said to Steve, holding his hands up then bringing them down swiftly "Boy...if you see me do this...you must quickly slow down. You must watch me very closely. When I do this" again demonstrating his arm signal, "you must immediately stop. Do you understand?" Dieter went on to explain why this was so important, and here in Steve's words mimicking Dieter is what Dieter told Steve.

"I was here with Hans on the canal and he was flying too high. It was too late and the boat flew through the air and stuck in a Mercedes that was crossing a bridge. I must go to the police station.....and for five hours I try to convince them that Hans is no criminal." I can't remember all that Steve said, but I could see Dieter telling him that story, and it was so funny that we had tears in our eyes from laughing so hard.

Lars Strom
07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Wayne,

The canal outside Konigs factory was more like a "wide creek".
There was no boat ramp and Dieter stopped the traffic so
I could back down my trailer.

I guess you was one year to early for me in West Berlin.

The 1977 race at Tegel, I think the name was and it turned out to be
a bad one for me.
I flipped my Molinari boat , over 100 miles mph and it was only a week or two
before the Paris 6 hours.
Dieter was very helpful and we got the boat ready in time.
Joachim Mareth was my co-pilot.
Dieter was really into this 6 hour Race and traveled with us to Paris.

Do you have a photo of Dieter and Joachim??

Master Oil Racing Team
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I have lots of photos of Dieter and Joachim Lars. I will post some. After reading all your posts, I am surprised we didn't cross paths at some time. Dieter was wired nonstop racing. We never talked about his OPC stuff or racing at the Paris 6 Hours. Dieter was always taking care of what what going on then at the time I was there, but thinking way ahead on how to get more horsepower.

I have so many fond memories of Dieter and his shop people...the things we did. You can do a search on BRF and type in Dieter Konig or Konig and see some of the pictures and stories that have already been posted.

As far as the wide creek Lars...you are right. The first turn I ever tried with an OA, I ran up onto the rock embankment. I backed off for the turn, but was not used to the steering. It was 1:1 turning, but even then I couldn't make it...and backed off and went to the rocks. In the canal...you had to turn left so hard you would break the prop loose to spin the transom around while cavitating. Then you could straighten out and take off back in the other direction down the canal.

mintominto
07-17-2008, 05:01 AM
Wayne,

Thanks for digging out that entrylist, looks a real strong field of driving talent, I certainly wouldn't have found it easy to predict the winner from that lot.

I notice Dutch driver Cor Krouwel seems to be running a Johnson despite being backed by Team Mercury. Good to see the normally efficient Germans can make the same errors in their programmes as the rest of us.:D

Great to hear you have lots more stories and pics on these type of events. Both you and Lars seem able to deliver your stories in such terrific detail, long may it continue as it is very appreciated.

Lars Strom
07-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Dieter Konig told me about a very nice Race in Austria he was going to and asked me to
Race there to.

I do not remember the name of this very old little town up in the mountains.
A beautiful place and the Race was on a River.

I was surprised to se so many OE boats, over 10 including Mercury's Michael Werner.

The OE class was not the only class, there was a World Championship in one of the Hydro
classes.
Not sure, but maybe OB.

There was two Teams from Japan and this was for me the first time I could see have effective the
Japanese people was.
Every one in the Team was working with white gloves and a written notebook to follow.

I do not remember the name of the Japanese engine, but the engine was faster than the Konig
and they won the World Championship.

Erwin Zimmerman was Racing Konig and Dieter was not happy, but in a very charming way he just
said that he has more homework to do.

I won the OE class and stayed at this beautiful place a few extra days.

Dieter left and a few weeks later he told me there was a new modified Konig engine available now to beat
the Japanese.

Wayne, do you know anything about this Race and what engine the two Japanese Teams where using??

Master Oil Racing Team
07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
I don't know where that race was Lars. Possibly Linz on the Danube River, but it is a pretty large town. The OB World Champ was Yutaka Sugihara and his motor was a Yamato.

You were right about the new Konig. Dieter sent us one shortly before the Pro Nationals in Hinton, West Virginia. It did not even have a serial number. It just had VB stamped on it. Dieter said to turn it between 10,500 and 11,000 rpm's. It was hard to get on top, but once you got it up the motor was very powerful. The first morning we started to test it Dieter called to say shorten the mid section of the pipes to 150mm and keep the stinger the same length but with an id of 20 to 23 mm. It was the most powerful OB motor we ever had.

I don't recall what happened to us at the Nationals, but Dan Kirts was the fastest with a Konig. He outran everyone in the first heat, but in the second heat a pit man tossed the starting rope into the cockpit as he was pulling out of the pits. It got tangled in Dan's feet and as he was kicking around to get free of it, he kicked the throttle cable and dislodged it. His motor was only getting a little over half throttle after that, but they didn't discover what happened until he came back to the pits. Canadian Doug Thompson won with a Konig and Masaaki Nakmura was second with a Yamato.

Here's a few pics from Berlin 1977.

Fast Fred
07-18-2008, 04:01 AM
thanks Lars, be interested in them parts. no i never worked for any of them guys. I do how ever envy your time as a Racer, seems that was the time . now cuzz i'm a "racer", i got to wait after every body else to get the parts i need or so they tell me. thay would be beter off liein to me and just sayin "we'll get them to you as fast as we can but that mite be a while"
and thats why i do my own stuff, but i can't make every thing.

tell us more about the FT, and how it compared to the Stinger:cool:

thanks
FF

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Fast Fred,

I get back to OMC 3 cyl in the 1978 racing.

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 06:22 AM
I have been looking really hard to find more photos
from my year with Volvo - Konig but so far no success.

This i s the only one I have

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 06:58 AM
The Molinari OE boat was designed for a standard OMC OE engine ( FT19S powerhead),
so the tunnel had more lift than I needed when using the more powerful
and lighter Volvo Konig.

The boat was extrimly fast in flat water and I remember at some
testing in Sweden with Gert Lowisin the top speed was over 115 miles...

My second boat was a OE Clerici, but I used the Molinari most
because it was a better boat.

There was no fuel pump, instead Dieter used the compression from the
crank case to but pressure in the fuel tank, (Like an old Evinrude Outboard from
the 50's, with two fuel hoses)

There was a hose up to the drivers seat and a valve.
Before starting the engine you must blow pressure in the tank with your mouth.

Well, I was never a fan of this.
If you needed to turn the engine off, (late start or same thing) you had to open the valve to release some pressure in the tank and you got Methanol
and fumes in the drivers seat.
No good and I got sick before the start in Bristol because of that.

This engine was so different, but really fast and fun when running.

I think the best with my Volvo Konig year was all the really nice and fun people I become good friends
with.

I raced in Gronningen, Holland and that is my last Volvo Konig story.

Coming next

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 07:04 AM
1977 was also the year when Molinari started Racing for OMC, but Renatos deal was with OMC USA,
not Belgium.

I had a brand new Mod 50/F3 Molinari Boat on order and an Evinrude engine for that boat, but after a meeting
with the BIG man at Volvo Penta, Sweden we made a deal and I got my biggest check ever (at that time) to
Race Volvo Penta/Konig in Mod 50/F3 1977.

I went to Como, to pick up my new boat, and to Clerici to pick up a second boat if the Molinari Boat
did not work with the Volvo.

Direct to Dieter Konig, West Berlin to install engines and after that Uppsala, Sweden where
the Volvo Penta outboard factory was located, and Gert Lowisin was living next door.
My deal with Volvo was to have Gert Lowisin 24/7 to help me that year in racing, and Gert was a very
good man to have on your side.

This was a very interesting year for me in Racing, and I raced more or less every weekend somewhere
in Europe, and when "that thing" on the transom stayed together I Won, but most of the times it came a part.

Believe it or not, but I raced Paris 6 hours with a Konig..... and was leading with many laps after
We used 50/50 Gasoline/Methanol and it did not take away to many horsepower.

The Sprint World Champion Ship OE that year was in Brodenbach, and OMC was not very happy
with Lars racing a Volvo and Jenkins Racing a Archimedes. (Same thing)

Michael Werner was the home favorite with Mercury's secret F3 engine with the EFI box.

OMC at that time did not have the speed, and where using the "Gas in a bottle" ( laughing gas), to make it better,
but the officials of the Race said it was not legal, so OMC never raced and filed a protest.

I was fighting hard with Werner and won one heat, he the next etc. and it was down to the final heat
I had to win on a better time and I did, but then the Race officials said that my heat was 2/10 of a second
slower than Werner's so he was now the World Champ. (at that time they used stop watches)

I don't now if it was right or wrong, but a week later UIM made a decision about the OMC protest and the Race
was not a official World Championship Race anymore.

There is many stories about my year with Volvo/Konig and I can go back to that later.
When it comes to money, it was a very good year but I did not get the Trophy's I wanted so after Paris
6 Hours I told Volvo that, I am out.

Volvo did not have a problem with that and late 1978, the Volvo Penta outboards
was history.

Not many people know that, but Volvo Penta Outboards was the first one the Japanese Outboards
put out of business.

Well, maybe they killed them self with poorly designed production outboards.....

Master Oil Racing Team
07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
As you say Lars, there were a lot of nice and fun people to hang out with. Here's are a few pics from the World Cup in 1977 on the Strandbad Oberhavel in Berlin. I don't know who that was with the cat behind Dieter's shop. The next one is Joachim Mareth and Bernd Tschierschke working on Joachim's motor. Then Gert Lowisin and Roger Jenkins. Next is Gert and Dieter Konig. Roland Stoltz is to the right of Leif Ahlborg in the next pic, but I am not sure who that is behind Leif. The last is from the program for the 1978 OD World Championships in Berlin. This part was results from the 1977 German Grand Prix.

One thing I should say about Gert Lowisin. He was a very nice person. When I first met him he made me feel like we had been friends for years. I was very sorry to hear about his health problems. He would have been a great one to get here on BRF.

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Thank you very much Wayne,

This photo is from when I came to Dieter Konig for the first time.
Must have been February or early March 1977..

You see my brand new Molinari on the trailer and my Clerici boat on top of the
Opel.

We put race numbers and the Swedish flag on the boats just to go
true Customs easier.

Whoo, this photo brings back very good memories.

It is Curre Gustavsson next to the boats.
He was my best friend and helped me many years in racing.

Thank you Curre

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
One more thing about the above photo.

At that time back then, only a very few people know about my switch
to Volvo Konig.

That is why we parked behind the building.

Did you take this photo, or was it Dieter?

Volvo in Sweden had a press meeting later, I think April or May 1977
about the new Swedish Volvo Konig Race Team.

Again, this photo made my day. :)

Master Oil Racing Team
07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
So we DID cross paths Lars. I took the photo on April 22 or 23, 1977. That's so cool. When I pulled out the contact sheets to look for some pics of Gert Lowisin, I spotted this frame and I thought to myself....no way! But I posted it. Your name wasn't in the program, and in fact the program started with the number 2 boat, but then the programs usually didn't have all the drivers listed that eventually showed up. Now I am going to go back through all my contact sheets more closely to see if there are any other pics of you or your boats.

I usually got race results from the organizers so I would have all the boat numbers, drivers names and points so I could get the story correct for Powerboat. In this case the editor, I think Mark Spencer was editor by then, said just to do the story from a personal standpoint as to what it was like racing in Europe because most of the readers would not know the European drivers. But at this race I did not get the names and results. I wish now I had done so.

And Lars, feel free to use any of my pictures to post on the Swedish website if you want to.

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Wayne,

That is pretty cool.
I guess I was at Dieters place in April, not March 1977.

I think this is the result from the Race at Tegel, 1977.

I won 1 or 2 heat, then I had that really bad "flipp" just before the turn
at top speed and ended up second.

I have to ask you Wayne, what where you doing there in April 1977?

Master Oil Racing Team
07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I checked my contact sheets only just one more of the same pic, and none of you racing Lars. So is this the stop off at Dieter's to get the motor mounted rather than February or early March? I don't know if it is when you drove in with your rig or another driver, but I can remember Dieter asking me to help move another boat on a trailer on the side of the factory so a car and trailer could get around the back.

I would have been introduced to you by Dieter the day I took the pic. Dieter always introduced me to drivers who stopped by. That's where I first met the Landini's from Italy, Jerry Drake from South Africa, and Waldemar Marsalek from Poland.

I will look at my slides to see if I have any other pics for you. It made my day to for this discovery. That means I had a scoop on your switch to Volvo Konig and didn't even know it.;):D

Master Oil Racing Team
07-18-2008, 05:24 PM
I was one of the guys helping to promote international racing through our APBA club Hydroplanes International. We were trying to get drivers from other countries to race in the U.S. and so it was a good idea for us to race in other countries. We picked OD to start with because we had a better chance of being awarded a UIM World Championship in America than the other classes.

I had been invited to race in Berlin in 1976, then also in 1977. When Dieter called and asked me to come over and gave me the dates for the World Cup, I discovered it was the weekend before I was to get married to Debbie. So I called her up and told her that I needed to go race in Berlin, and asked if we could postpone our wedding a couple of weeks. She immediately said no, we would move it up a week and we would spend our honeymoon in Europe.

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 05:53 PM
This is incredible, Wayne

Curre and I drove non stop to Italy to pick up the 2 boats.
After that straight to Konig to bring the two engines with us to Sweden.
I wanted to introduce myself to Dieter, that's why we stopped in West Berlin.
We was only there for 24 hours and there is Wayne taking a photo of my two boats
without knowing 31 years later that it was Lars.
My memory said Feb/March 1977, but it was April 22 or 23......

The world is pretty small sometimes.........

I would like to see you Wayne and talk about the good old days...

PS. We covered the engine up with plastic, so you could not see that it was a Volvo/Konig.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
It really is incredible Lars. When I took another look at the picture and saw all that tape, I figured then that was your trip. Then I looked at the other cats in the pits and yours were not there so I figured you didn't stay for the racing. What a chance encounter.:cool: And had it not been for the internet and BRF, those photos would have been just another couple of frames on a roll of film instead an early recording of the year you spent with Volvo Konig. Now it is a part of your incredible racing history. I was glad I happened to chance upon them and post them at this particular time of your story.

I would like to see you also Lars and talk about those days. Maybe we can make it happen.

Lars Strom
07-18-2008, 07:46 PM
The very good 3 hour Race of Amsterdam came to an end 1976.

I got a invitation from Holland 1977, to race OE in Gronningen instead and after some research I found
out it was a pretty big race.

Curre and I took my new Chevy Van and the Molinari Volvo/Konig and headed for Gronningen/Holland.
The City of Gronningen was really excited about the race and there was like a Party weekend
and the Boat race.

If I remember right it was OE and ON, and I think this was one of the first races
for Erwin Zimmerman in the ON class.

There was lots of OE boats and Paul Kalbs driver from Belgium, Willy Permanne was there.
Michael Werner and his factory Mercury also.
I think it was 2 X 30 minutes races and this was one of very few races that year when everything
just went my way.
The Volvo/Konig worked without any problems and I won both 30 minutes races and received
a nice Trophy and some good price money.

In one way this was a very good year for me, but I could not use my Racing to sell more
Evinrude Outboards.

The last Race of the season was Paris 6 Hours and back in Sweden I was working hard to find a way
to get OMC Sweden ready to spend some money for my Racing.
I know OMC hade a Policy that the only Racing expensies was thru Belgium, but I found out a
way to get around that...

The next story is about how I got back to Racing with Evinrude 1978.....

Master Oil Racing Team
07-19-2008, 04:14 PM
A few more pics I found before you get to 1978 Lars. As I mentioned earlier I had remembered we had to move a few boats around at the time you were there. It was very crowded and Hans Krages Volvo Konig Danisch proprider and a Volvo Konig cat that looks like it was flying a flag from Netherlands. your Opel and boats were to the side of the bay where the cat was pushed to. I don't know why the boats had to be moved, because it looks like a straight shot out of the back, but maybe it wasn't. I wished I had a pic with you in it or at least a different angle, but at least here's one in color. I had been rigging up my boat when Dieter came to say he needed some help. So I guess I just grabbed a few quick photos and went back to work.

Lars Strom
07-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Wayne,

Thanks for your help.

Hans Krages OE boat was very interesting to watch at the Races.
I remember he was a Porsche dealer and he took me for a spin at
the Autobahn with one of his hot cars.
That was a mistake by me.......

The cat with number 426 looks like a Scotti boat, but I dont think
he ever built a OE boat.

I am still smiling at the photos you took of my two boats.

We where trying so hard to be secrete, but was not very successful
I guess. :confused:

Roy Hodges
07-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Wayne,

Thanks for your help.

Hans Krages OE boat was very interesting to watch at the Races.
I remember he was a Porsche dealer and he took me for a spin at
the Autobahn with one of his hot cars.
That was a mistake by me.......

The cat with number 426 looks like a Scotti boat, but I dont think
he ever built a OE boat.

I am still smiling at the photos you took of by two boats.

We where trying so hard to be secrete, but was not very successful
I guess. :confused:

That "426" boat sure looks a lot like a boat that Paul Bender had . A Shultze kneeler , that had been converted to a sit down boat .

Master Oil Racing Team
07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
You guys got me wondering about that boat, then I thought about that page I posted (#208) from the race program. You were right, but thought you weren't Lars. And I have a correction to make myself. The flag looked like it had a little green, but when I auto corrected and zoomed in it looked like blue. But it is Italian driver Remo Ranieri with a Volvo Konig on a Scotti.

I couldnt imagine what it would be like riding with Hans on an autobahn with him showing you what his Porsche would do.:eek: I did ride three blocks with him on Kurfurstendamm about 70 or 80 mph at about 1 in the morning. Hans was grinning the whole time. I don't know if you ever knew this about Hans, Lars. When he was about 18 he was caught by the East German guards trying to smuggle a magneto from West Berlin into the DDR. He raced motorcycles back then. He spent a year in the dark in solitary confinement in a room not much bigger than a telephone booth. I don't know if that had anything to do with the way he approached life, but he always seemed to live life to the fullest. He didn't seem to be afraid of anything, and the fast lane was his choice.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I thought you might like to see some photos of Dieter's shop Lars....about like it was when you first saw it. The office pic I think is Dieter's office, but it could have been the office of his right hand man Siegried Lubnow. But I'm pretty sure it is Dieter's.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Some stuff from Powerboat & Waterskiing. The first is part of an excellent article written by Mike Ward.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I've tried to reach that part of my memory from way back when and after looking at the office pic, I think that it is Dieter's desk in the foreground and Sigfried's to the right and in the background and corner is the desk of Dieter's sister Margaret. If you look up on the shelf you will see a formula car. I don't know if it has anything to do with this picture, but about this same time a British car racing team wanted Dieter to make a proposal and build a prototype 12 cylinder motor for an F2 if my memory is correct. I may be totally mistaken about the particulars because I don't know anything about F2 except they are one of the launching grounds to get into F1. Whether or not 2 cycles are legal in F2...I don't know. I just remember Dieter saying he had been approached and that one of the things they required, or he figured it was necessary was to have a solid forged crankshaft and that seemed to be Dieter's stumbling block on whether he would plunge ahead or beg off. The engine was supposed to turn 12 or 15 thousand revs if my memory is not too delusional. I'm thinking the project didn't get much further.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-12-2008, 07:14 AM
This is from the June 1977 issue of Powerboat & Waterskiing.

Lars Strom
08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks Wayne for all the work you put in to my Thread
Nice to read about Dieters factory.
The photos are exactly how I remember his shop-office.

My plan is to continue with my Racing stories in a few weeks.
A Sea Ray boat
at Lake of the Ozarks keep me busy right now. :)

PS. I went to the F1 ChampBoat race in St. Louis a few weeks ago
and there is lot of photos from that weekend on a Thread under
Champboat.

Lars Strom
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I promised to get back with them in a few weeks, but so much
fun at the Lake of the Ozarks.
My Sea Ray Weekender 27' turned in to a 41' Formula PC with Cummins
diesels last Friday.

Please, do not give up on me.
I have lots of good Racingstories to tell but need little more time
with my new toy.....

My wife Carina and our Dog Lucky like the new Boat to

Bill Van Steenwyk
09-15-2008, 10:28 PM
I, along with many others I'm sure, have missed your posts the last few weeks. Hope you can get them started again.

Bill

Lars Strom
10-19-2008, 07:08 AM
We are still at the Marina, Lake of the Ozarks.

Our Boat has a new name but need to be winterized soon...
My plan is to continue with my racing stories after that.
I am sorry for the delay..

Lars Strom
10-19-2008, 07:11 AM
My friend Dan in Sweden sent me this from a Swedish newspaper 1968...

A young Renato Molinari won the 3 Hour race.

Yes, that´s him on top of the Mercury...

Lars Strom
10-19-2008, 07:37 AM
One more from Dan in Sweden.

This is Sigurd Isacsson and his very fast Offshore Cat 1968..

A few weeks after this photo was taken he flipped the Boat but was able to "swim away"....
This winning boat was no more...

40 years ago last months..

Bill Van Steenwyk
11-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Lars:

In the 70's here in St. Louis at George Winter Park, we had some of the most competitive OPC Tunnel boat races ever. One of them was the OZ World Championship. This was at the height of the "factory wars" when OMC had the Johnson and Evinrude teams, and of course there was the Mercury team with Seebold, Fountain, Benz and others driving, plus all the great drivers for OMC. I remember Renato Molinari participating in this race or if not the OZ Championship, one of the other big races held in St. Louis in that same time frame.
At that time the lake had only one ramp for both launching and retrieving boats, and with the large number competing it usually took some time to get them out after the heat was over with, as the ramp was being used to both launch and retrieve at the same time. Evidently Molinari had to take a "leak" quite badly after finishing his heat race, and the urge finally overcame whatever shyness he might have had (if any). I remember him climbing out on the deck of the boat and standing with the "golden stream" going into the lake, completely unmindful of the probably 15-20 thousand spectators looking on.
The picture of him on top of the motor you have posted reminded me of that moment. I seem to remember someone in the media took some pictures but I don't know whether they were ever published or not. I later found out that customs in Europe do not look upon that type of thing as we did here in the US, but it was unusual for a midwest crowd at that time. He was very nonchalant about the whole thing, and acted if there was nothing unusual about it at all. That was the only place I ever got to see him race, but he was a fierce competitor.

Lars Strom
01-01-2009, 02:12 PM
The very good 3 hour Race of Amsterdam came to an end 1976.

I got a invitation from Holland 1977, to race OE in Gronningen instead and after some research I found
out it was a pretty big race.

Curre and I took my new Chevy Van and the Molinari Volvo/Konig and headed for Gronningen/Holland.
The City of Gronningen was really excited about the race and there was like a Party weekend
and the Boat race.

If I remember right it was OE and ON, and I think this was one of the first races
for Erwin Zimmerman in the ON class.

There was lots of OE boats and Paul Kalbs driver from Belgium, Willy Permanne was there.
Michael Werner and his factory Mercury also.
I think it was 2 X 30 minutes races and this was one of very few races that year when everything
just went my way.
The Volvo/Konig worked without any problems and I won both 30 minutes races and received
a nice Trophy and some good price money.

In one way this was a very good year for me, but I could not use my Racing to sell more
Evinrude Outboards.

The last Race of the season was Paris 6 Hours and back in Sweden I was working hard to find a way
to get OMC Sweden ready to spend some money for my Racing.
I know OMC hade a Policy that the only Racing expensies was thru Belgium, but I found out a
way to get around that...

The next story is about how I got back to Racing with Evinrude 1978.....

Happy New Year to all readers of this thread..
I am slow to get started on the 1978 Racing season and how I found
a smart way to get back to Race Evinrude for OMC again..

Here is a few more photos from 1977..

The first one is from a test in Sweden..

Lars Strom
01-01-2009, 02:17 PM
This one is from Drammen Norway 1977..
My Molinari-Volvo Penta/König and
Roger Jenkins is changing from OE to ON and this is one of his first
Races in the ON class with a Mercury..

I am to the left, a man from Volvo in the Center..
Roger Jenkins to the right... looks grey??

Master Oil Racing Team
01-01-2009, 07:14 PM
,,,,,,I know how much time it takes to dig up the photos and get back into the groove of telling your story. We are all glad to see you continue.

Lars Strom
01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Wayne,

Hi again,

I am really slow to continue with my Racing stories but a few days ago I went back
to where my dream about a life in the United States started in 1977/78.
That's when Jack Leek invited me to the Ralph Evinrude Testcenter in Stuart, Florida.
I was standing there at the docks as a Swedish resident,
dreaming about one day be able to be part of this great country..
This dream become reality pretty fast because my good relationship with all the
people at OMC, back then...

Again... Thanks Jack Leek... R.I.P.

and Evinrude you made my dream possible..
My next 10/12 years is 100% OMC Evinrude Business and Racing..
Stories coming soon...

Lars Strom
03-19-2009, 06:33 PM
When I went to Sweden for a two week visit, a few days ago I found this in my Dads basement..

3 World records from 1973. If I remember right..they are average speed
over 1-2 and 3 hours..

The record was set on Dalälven and it was below freezing and thin ice
in the morning of October 21 1973..

Lars Strom
03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
One more..

Lars Strom
03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
the last one..

Lars Strom
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
The 1974...2 hour Race of Duvnäsviken outside Stockholm.
I won the Race overall by passing Bimbo Aminoff on the last lap.

Lars Strom
03-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I look way to serious..

Lars Strom
03-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Same here...from 1973

Lars Strom
03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
A Castrol poster from 1974..

"Mästaren" means "Champion"...

Lars Strom
01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks Wayne,

Hi again,

I am really slow to continue with my Racing stories but a few days ago I went back
to where my dream about a life in the United States started in 1977/78.
That's when Jack Leek invited me to the Ralph Evinrude Testcenter in Stuart, Florida.
I was standing there at the docks as a Swedish resident,
dreaming about one day be able to be part of this great country..
This dream become reality pretty fast because my good relationship with all the
people at OMC, back then...

Again... Thanks Jack Leek... R.I.P.

and Evinrude you made my dream possible..
My next 10/12 years is 100% OMC Evinrude Business and Racing..
Stories coming soon...

I stopped by the Ralph Evinrude Testcenter a few days ago to visit
Dave Haman..
Pretty slow there but the good news was the Mail box..

Updated from Ficht to E-Tec..:)

Smokin' Joe
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't yell too loud, this translation certainly has one conceptual mistake (first sentence), but I only know Norwegian, not Swedish street talk!

Dear Lars,

Wayne and his dad are some of the few that in 1973 quickly got me thinking about 'over there'. I also immediately had great respect for Papa Baldwin [our Baldy]. He quickly convinced me that 'Texas is the biggest/greatest in the world'. His son's known as the best driver. He (even) had an oil company as sponsor, his presumed fans said. He'd inherited Master Oil from Papa!

Greetings,

Leif ...

(calling Lars 'Lasse' is like calling Robert 'Bobby'---or in Texas, maybe 'Billy-Bob' ...)

Wayne,

I have about 50 Racing stories on the Swedish Power Boat Federations
home page and I made a short story about Wayne asking about Leif
Ahlborg.

This morning there was a answer from Leif, and here it is......
__________________________________________________ _______________
Kul Lasse

Wayne och hans pappa är några av de jag 1973 snabbt fattade tycke för "over there". Jag fick genast också stor respekt för Pappa Baldwin. Han fick mig snabbt att förstå, att han och Texas är "biggest in the World". Sonen förståss också den bästa föraren. Han hade ju ett eget Oljebolag som sponsor, så förutsättningarna fans. Oljebolaget "Master Oil" hade han fått av Pappa.

Hälsningar
Leif Ahlborg

Yes, I know it is impossible to understand but all very good reading and I am
going to try to translate, but that is next post

Photo of Leif Ahlborg