PDA

View Full Version : 70hp johnson pull starter

kems
11-26-2008, 04:11 AM
i currently have a 70hp johnson 1997 model on a aquarius thundercat, the motor is electric start, im having problems trying to locate a pull starter so i can convert it.

As the motor regularly gets salt water splashed, i dont think the electric starter motor is going to be working for very long.
does anyone know where i can find one to suit this motor?

Bill Gohr
11-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Yes, look up a south american 3 cyl, I believe we made one manual, we made them all the way to V4's manual, I have one from a 55 or 65 comm upstairs I'll have to see which one it is.

Bunker Hill
11-26-2008, 10:24 AM
There is positively a pull start model 3 cyl OMC. For at least 25 years, that engine has been the engine of choice for the mexican "Pangeros" (Commercial and charter fishing boat skippers) The OMC product line for these model engines was the "World" product line. I have personally seen thousands of these motors in and ALL over Mexico and yes, up to V-4's all with pull starts.
Good luck on your search

Bunker

JohnsonM50
11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=kems;64312]i currently have a 70hp johnson 1997 model on a aquarius thundercat, the motor is electric start, im having problems trying to locate a pull starter so i can convert it.

As the motor regularly gets salt water splashed, i dont think the electric starter motor is going to be working for very long.
does anyone know where i can find one to suit this motor?[
/QUOTE] Im sure you can find the parts to do it but unless your running w/o the cowl you might be selling the starter 'short'. Id think both would be best if possible. Of course if your looking to lose ton-age for all out speed, would be different.:cool: