01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes it is a real E-tec

Ted March
01-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Cool.

Which club (s) do you race with? class?

E-tec1
01-08-2009, 07:01 AM
and Blarney island.............all the testing and development was at blarney...........there is now a class for stock motors on a 1700 lb boat going to be run this summer.............hmmmmmm how bout a new mod vp type deal with these motors..........emission legal.......good promotion..........fuel consumption in unbeleivable too.........actually, id like to have a talk with Ron about some prop development...........yes its a cool thing and so far so good

looseunit225
01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
theres alot of Etec's over here racing at the moment we have a class called SMOC (Standard motor open cockpit) and the 250 HO's are killing the mercs and all that! they are towing 2 skiers up to 85Mph not bad if you ask me!

E-tec1
01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
we started runnin fichts in 02, led up to the etec, ur lookin at the boat that started it all, u have no idea how tickled we were when those HOs started whoopin,ben alot of work put into this and hopefully itll get even better

racnbns
01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
we started runnin fichts in 02, led up to the etec, ur lookin at the boat that started it all, u have no idea how tickled we were when those HOs started whoopin,ben alot of work put into this and hopefully itll get even better

Good to see your on the site! Are you back at our old stompin grounds?

Bruce

E-tec1
01-09-2009, 09:02 AM
no i still work for me, but have a deal goin on the E-tec thing rite now, what happened to that starflite boat???????do u still have it????

racnbns
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
no i still work for me, but have a deal goin on the E-tec thing rite now, what happened to that starflite boat???????do u still have it????

Like you I got tired of storing it and sold it to a guy in Ga. I ran it once with a 6 cyl. merc and overdrive gearcase[Hubbel] but never got it flying. This was probably good cause it wasn't set up to turn and we didn't have much room. It was at the antique otbd meet in Tomahawk about 1999or 2000.

Bruce

E-tec1
01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
least its still in one piece, should have kept it

mercguy
01-09-2009, 07:14 PM
theres alot of Etec's over here racing at the moment we have a class called SMOC (Standard motor open cockpit) and the 250 HO's are killing the mercs and all that! they are towing 2 skiers up to 85Mph not bad if you ask me!

ya, but the 250HO's are 3.4L.................Mercs 2.5L.............a Merc 3.0L, if built, can easily put out 300 reliable hp.........

are the HO's outrunning the 2.5L Mercs? Or are they running the 250XS?

BTW, I am not knocking the ETECS (I am a certified ETEC tech too, along with Merc), but there is no replacement for displacement...........

E-tec1
01-09-2009, 07:20 PM
its an alternative to whats out there, i run with alot of the mercs, do pretty well,now we're talkin modified merc 260 280 motors here, thers still more to develope, theres a new class thats gonna put the stock motors against each other, we'll see what happens, i out wiegh all of them by alot right now, it still womps on most of them, i wanna run againts the 300 xs and see what happens

mercguy
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
its an alternative to whats out there, i run with alot of the mercs, do pretty well,now we're talkin modified merc 260 280 motors here, thers still more to develope, theres a new class thats gonna put the stock motors against each other, we'll see what happens, i out wiegh all of them by alot right now, it still womps on most of them, i wanna run againts the 300 xs and see what happens

it would be interesting to run the 300XS against the 300 ETEC! The 250 ETEC is actually underated in HP aspects..........more like 265ish.............but, is a GREAT motor, but so is the good old 2.5L Merc. Simon Motorsports can build a bad AZZ 3.0L Merc that puts out a RELIABLE 350hp........

we have a couple 250HO's on our "shop boat".............they are good runners..........

E-tec1
01-09-2009, 07:27 PM
is in compliance with emisions.....thats the mission here, i have no doubt what we could do if we went outside those boundries, i ve had some converstaions with eric on all this

mercguy
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
is in compliance with emisions.....thats the mission here, i have no doubt what we could do if we went outside those boundries, i ve had some converstaions with eric on all this

ah, I hear ya. Anyone running the Verado's down there? They are alot heavier thugh.

Eric is a great guy! We used to be pretty close neighbors (before the first big California wildfire burned alot of his shop).

E-tec1
01-09-2009, 07:37 PM
i dont think they spool up quick enuf, my mission is to see alot of emision motors get involved, lets keep this racing thing goin

mercguy
01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
i dont think they spool up quick enuf, my mission is to see alot of emision motors get involved, lets keep this racing thing goin

interesting. .......I have not noticed that myself, but maybe on your applications? The only downfall I would foresee is the added weight of the Verado and the Verados are more than 1.0L smaller, but the supercharger has an advantage.

so, are they running the Merc 250XS?

but, I am glad to hear you guys are working with the current engines!! They are the future for sure!

E-tec1
01-09-2009, 07:46 PM
is the 260 and 280s in the lake racer class, rumor was even a couple drags that were snuck in..........if u go to www.racine-extreme.com, look at the blarney island races, ull see lots of pics, ive been runnin this there for 3 years now, dont laff, but started doin it with a ficht, its been fun

mercguy
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
is the 260 and 280s in the lake racer class, rumor was even a couple drags that were snuck in..........if u go to www.racine-extreme.com, look at the blarney island races, ull see lots of pics, ive been runnin this there for 3 years now, dont laff, but started doin it with a ficht, its been fun

"dont laff, but started doin it with a ficht"

..............that would be hard not too!!!! Just kiddin! Boy, you must be tickled pink with the ETEC vs. the old FICHT!!

E-tec1
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
just couldnt keep pistons in one peice, have yet to fail anything on an etec, last two years i ran a 3.3 that had cut heads , plastic reeds and the rev limiter removed, this year was a bone stock 250 ho without the limiter, the 3.3 is quicker as of right now, might do the same to this for next year

looseunit225
01-09-2009, 08:46 PM
the 250HO's are beating the 250 and 300xs's in ski racinbg here in Australia!

the HO just has so much torq i want to see a 300 HO!

vishus
01-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I am an old OMC fan from the F1 V8 days! I became a Mercury fan when the EFIs showed up. A 2.4EFI Bridgeport was something special. Then came the 260/300/S3000!!! No going back from black then. I have always ran light tunnels and v pads. The ETEC would be a bit heavy to hang off of the back of my Allison, but I love that someone is RACING the new stuff.

UNTIL someone makes a light (sub 400#) motor that has 250+HP, I am going to have to keep rebuilding and running the old 260/300 2.5s...

sid

E-tec1
01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Im kind of hopin we are in the stage of the first mercs at the moment,if the economy doesnt kill us first, all i know, its been fun and we've gotten somewhere, there is a little hope

vishus
01-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I WISH Mercury, BRP, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda would ALL start making HP motors...

Can you IMAGINE IF the Outboards were like the SPORTBIKE market. Every year here would be NEW/BETTER models. One year Suzuki is king, then Honda, and then Ducati...

Economy of scale... A topend Honda/Suzuki sportbike is around $13K. A exotic topend Ducati is around $17K. A current 250 fishing motor is between 15K to 20K...

THOUGH, I wouldn't want the lakes as crowded as the freeways...

One of the FEW advantages of running an Outboard today is that hardly anyone knows how FAST a light hull with a 260 can do...

jphii1
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Wonder who else will be running an E-Tec this year?:D:D