PDA

View Full Version : Sst-45 Progress Report

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
JUST FINISHED THE GRAPHICS ! (on one side ) NOW ON TO THE OTHER SIDE!

Joe J
11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Patrick:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will need to change the blue around the numbers to black, per the APBA rule book.

Joe

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-10-2009, 03:48 PM
thanks joe, i have someone that is supposed to put a wide black pinstripe around the numbers. (i think that should do it )

Patrick

spn43
11-10-2009, 04:30 PM
opc should be fine

bill boyes
11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
The rule states white on black or the reverse. I suggest that you have a White background and Black Numbers.
Please do take note from what Joe J says as he is an Inspector and I am a Referee. The numbers are NOT legal even with Black pin striping around the numbers. I would hate to see you not scored do to your numbers. Correct it now or you will have a problem latter.

spn43
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Pop990
11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I have a cheap gearcase for you, and some other stuff. Are you coming to Parker Thanksgiving weekend?

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
hi bill

i am no coming to parker but if you can PM me what you got and your address i can come by and do some business (at your convinience )

Patrick

AZOutlaw
11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
The rule states white on black or the reverse. I suggest that you have a White background and Black Numbers.
Please do take note from what Joe J says as he is an Inspector and I am a Referee. The numbers are NOT legal even with Black pin striping around the numbers. I would hate to see you not scored do to your numbers. Correct it now or you will have a problem latter.

You both are correct in different Catagories....:D:cool:
OPC Rule #22 in APBA 2010 Rule book.........

RULE 22 • BOAT NUMBERS
1. Owners are to fasten their assigned numbers to each side of the boat in such a manner that the number is readily visible to the officials. Numbers
must remain intact throughout the race. Failure of the number to be visible disqualifies the boat. Numbers will be black letters on white background that
is approximately elliptical or rectangular in shape. The reverse of the preceding is also acceptable. Block characters shall be used and be a minimum of twelve inches (12”) high and a minimum stroke of two inches (2”) whenever possible. Should the background be the same color as the adjacent section of the boat, a 1/2” contrasting, approximately elliptical or rectangular, border is required. Spacing between numbers, and between borders and numbers, must be at least two inches (2”) whenever possible. The legality of any boat numbering is the responsibility of the inspector and the race committee only
and cannot be protested.

Jr-Stock-Mod-Pro per APBA 2010 Rule Book.......Rule #6 General Racing Rules.....

RULE 6 • RACING NUMBERS
Each racing member owning a boat or boats shall annually request National Headquarters to assign him/her a racing number for each category raced.
This number, or numbers, shall be valid for the current membership year. The racing member will use these numbers on all boats of all classes which
he or she may enter in given category’s races. The racing number shall consist of a letter designating the geographic section of the country where the
owner resides and an assigned number. The assigned number shall range from 1 to 999. The official racing number must be displayed on both sides of
the boat in accordance with the following procedures:
1. Hydroplanes shall be affixed with vertical numbers on both sides of the boat. Numbers must be a minimum of six (6) inches in height and one
(1) inch stroke where space permits and shall be black on white or white on black. The background must be solid. There shall be at least one (1) inch
background border around each number and letter, where space permits. There shall be a minimum of one (1) inch spacing between each number and
letter, where space permits.
2. In addition to vertical numbers and letters, it is recommended that hydroplanes have deck numbers and letters. These deck numbers should be
placed on a solid background that contrasts strongly with the color used for the deck numbers.
3. PRO runabouts shall be affixed with numbers of a color that strongly contrasts with the background. The figures and letters shall be not LESS than
10 inches in height and the stroke not LESS than 1-1/2 inches wide, if space permits. These numbers must be affixed to both sides of the boat.
4. Runabouts used in MO and SO classes must be affixed with numbers that are black on a solid white background or white on a solid black
background. The figures and letters must be at least 6 inches in height and the stroke must be at least 1 inch wide, where space permits. There must
be at least 1 inch of background around the number, where space permits. There must be a minimum of one (1) inch spacing between each figure and
letter, where space permits. Numbers must be affixed to both sides of the boat.
5. It shall be the driver’s responsibility to make the numbers legible. The numbers must be so displayed as to be clearly visible at all times, and shall
be securely attached in such a manner that they will not be lost or defaced during a race. The race committee shall have the power to warn, or disqualify
without previous notice, any driver who races with improper or illegible numbers.
6. A temporary number, such as an “X” or “I”, may be used. However, only one (1) regatta will be allowed without a regular number properly
displayed on the hull.
7. In the event one owner enters two boats, both of which carry his/her assigned racing number in the same race, it shall be the owner’s responsibility
to affix a temporary identifying mark to his/her second entry to assist the scorers in identifying the drivers. The identifying mark shall be in the form
of the letter “I” following the official racing number. If the owner enters three boats in the same race, the third entry shall have two such identifying
marks following the official racing number, and so forth. Such temporary marks are for the use of the local headquarters or race committee and have no
official standing at National Headquarters.
8. With the exception of the temporary numbers mentioned above, and CBF members using a CBF number, no one will be allowed to compete in a
regatta without a letter designation and number displayed on the hull.

Skoontz
11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Patrick:

Do yourself a favor and paint a rectangle out of black with white letters at leasdt one inch past the edges of every number. Better yet, black numbers on white like Bill says are easier to read through the spray....You never know whena judge decides to not be able to read your numbers, hell we have neon boat that was in a field of 5, the only neon boat on the water at the time.....And, though everyone at the race knew damn well whose boat is was, KT got DQed at a divisional because there is a discretionary zinger in the rule book we did not see, that lets judges DQ you any time they choose to if they claim they can't read the numbers....

So, make a black background around those numbers and be done with it or do white around black numbers and be done with it. KT would have had 800 more points had she not been DQed for that reason....play by the rule book, like it or not....Personally, I think anyone who can't read those numbers needs catarac sugery, but, rules are rules and since I'm not the judge, what I think matters not....

spn43
11-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Judges and officials need to get of the power trip. This is 21st century and all of the major racing series (formula 1, moto gp, superbike, .....etc) got away with rule for the numbers. Last thing boat racing needs is DQ for minor and dumb rule infraction like that, and same goes for helmet color rule.
Few years ago I had same discussion with one of the officials about my helmet color, (black with neon green stripes [feathers] on top)......long story short, didn't change the helmet and didn't get DQ'd either.
PS; if you have trouble seeing numbers of the boats in pictures above, you have no business to be a judge.

Ascencio Racing
11-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Gents, rules are rules. The slippery slope we put ourselves in is by showing up at a race, non compliant and argue that "well, it's a dumb rule" then put pressure on the race director/inspector to ignore it or "i won't race" If it is dumb, stupid (in this case I believe it is)... a) get the rule changed. We have a national meeting coming up. I doubt this would be difficult to get cleaned up. Or choose b) Fix it. Get compliant. To show up at a race, invite drama and a confrontation when you new it was illegal in Nov..... I mean c'mon. A ran the #5. I didn't own the #5 and caught crap from the guy who does. The guy not only didn't race my opc class but hasn't raced recently. I say dumb rule as most others do. However, I am changing it to "my OFFICIAL apba #65" (note to others, as long as we are not on the water together... I publically give anyone in OPC permission to run the #65 if you so desire, no need to ask) Bottom line a rule is a rule and i should have done a) or B)... I chose B.

By the way, nice looking boat man!!!

marinetech51@earthlink.net
11-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Gents, rules are rules. The slippery slope we put ourselves in is by showing up at a race, non compliant and argue that "well, it's a dumb rule" then put pressure on the race director/inspector to ignore it or "i won't race" If it is dumb, stupid (in this case I believe it is)... a) get the rule changed. We have a national meeting coming up. I doubt this would be difficult to get cleaned up. Or choose b) Fix it. Get compliant. To show up at a race, invite drama and a confrontation when you new it was illegal in Nov..... I mean c'mon. A ran the #5. I didn't own the #5 and caught crap from the guy who does. The guy not only didn't race my opc class but hasn't raced recently. I say dumb rule as most others do. However, I am changing it to "my OFFICIAL apba #65" (note to others, as long as we are not on the water together... I publically give anyone in OPC permission to run the #65 if you so desire, no need to ask) Bottom line a rule is a rule and i should have done a) or B)... I chose B.

By the way, nice looking boat man!!!

I agree. If you are going to look the other way on rules then you don't belong being an official. If you don't like the rule, don't blame the official. Change it.

Rayzor
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
I have read the OPC rules as well and would like clarification on this black/white number situation. I see several boats with black/white outlined numbers on contrasting color boats and was going to do the same on mine (I think it's a better look). Can anyone tell me what is legal and what is not, as the rules state that it is up to the referee's discretion.

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks For All The Advice Guys !!!
Some Times The Referees And Apba Take Their Jobs A Little Too Seriously Over Very Small Matters ( It Should Be The Spirit Of The Rule Rather Than The Letter Of The Rule ) Maybe That Is Why Boat Racing Is Loosing Ground, Racers And Spectators To Other Racing ( Ie: Cars, Drags, Etc.....)
Maybe They Should Concentrate More On Inforcing A Rule That Drivers And Crews Wear Clean Vests, Suits And No Delapidated Equipment---- ( As Observed At The Last Bayfair Sd Race ----filthy Vests And Equip. )
Maybe Apba And Referees Should Take Some Pointers From Other Race And Sport Organizations.
Remember That We Not Only Put On Races For The Racers But Also As A Show For The Spectators And The Prospective Future Racers.

As Far As My # Colors , Here Are 2 Pictures That Should Satisfy Everybody (maybe Even The Old Cronies At Apba Headquarters)

note: I Was Once Dq At A Region 11 Race Because My Helmet Was A Shade Too Red, Never Had Any Problems In Region 12 With Helmet Color Or Numbers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bill boyes
11-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Separate the 2 and 4 by 2 inches and it meets the OPC rule 22 page 12 of the 2009 rule book.
May I suggest that spn43 work the judges stand and do lap sheets.

bill boyes
11-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks For All The Advice Guys !!!
Some Times The Referees And Apba Take Their Jobs A Little Too Seriously Over Very Small Matters ( It Should Be The Spirit Of The Rule Rather Than The Letter Of The Rule ) Maybe That Is Why Boat Racing Is Loosing Ground, Racers And Spectators To Other Racing ( Ie: Cars, Drags, Etc.....)
Maybe They Should Concentrate More On Inforcing A Rule That Drivers And Crews Wear Clean Vests, Suits And No Delapidated Equipment---- ( As Observed At The Last Bayfair Sd Race ----filthy Vests And Equip. )
Maybe Apba And Referees Should Take Some Pointers From Other Race And Sport Organizations.
Remember That We Not Only Put On Races For The Racers But Also As A Show For The Spectators And The Prospective Future Racers.

As Far As My # Colors , Here Are 2 Pictures That Should Satisfy Everybody (maybe Even The Old Cronies At Apba Headquarters)

note: I Was Once Dq At A Region 11 Race Because My Helmet Was A Shade Too Red, Never Had Any Problems In Region 12 With Helmet Color Or Numbers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks good. If you all think that we volunteers are on a power trip then fire all of us and replace us.

DeanFHobart
11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey Patrick aka Superglue Express,

I met you at Long Beach in August. We talked at length about your 45 project. It's great to see your progress. We'll be seeing you at the races.

Will you plan to come to the 45 SS Stock Nationals in Oroville in August?

Good Luck and Best Regards.

:cool::cool::D:D

Rayzor
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Separate the 2 and 4 by 2 inches and it meets the OPC rule 22 page 12 of the 2009 rule book.
May I suggest that spn43 work the judges stand and do lap sheets.

Thanks Bill, I'll make sure I have the 2" seperation between the 2 and 4. Do you know when the capsule certification classes are going to be scheduled for yet? I'd like to get that out of the way asap.

bill boyes
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I think Frank Banducci is planing the 1st week of Feb.

em389!!!BDR
11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Black Diamond Rescue has one in mid to late Feb in Kankakee Il.

nightwing
11-11-2009, 03:17 PM
i worked the judges stand a time or 2. it hard to read the numbers on the boats going by the judges stand and my eyes are pretty good. give the ladys on the judges stand a break. they dont ask 4 much.

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe They Can See That !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bill boyes
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Seems we are trying to help you so that you do not run into problems later and you want to cap an attitude.

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I AM NOT TRYING TO CAP AN ATTITUDE ! I SOMETIMES JUST GET TIRED OF ALL THE BIKERING OVER SMALL THING WHEN THERE IS MORE IMPORTANT THINGS AT HAND TO HELP KEEP BOAT RACING FROM GOING DOWN THE TOILET, AS IT IS SLOWING DOING (BEEN HEARING THE SAME STORIES FOR 20+ YEARS ! )

Patrick

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-11-2009, 07:17 PM
HI DEAN
MAYBE I CAN MAKE IT TO THE 45 SS NATIONALS IN OROVILLE, I DO NOT KNOW IF I WILL BE READY , I NEED TO FINISH THE BOAT, GET SOME CASULE TRAINING AND SOME WATER TIME, THE WATER TIME MAY BE THE ARDEST,HERE IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY THERE REALLY IS NO PLACE TO TEST.

Patrick

Rayzor
11-11-2009, 08:30 PM
You can't run on Mission Bay? I had my Skater down there a few years ago and laid down some 140+ mph passes without any problems........

mercguy
11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I AM NOT TRYING TO CAP AN ATTITUDE ! I SOMETIMES JUST GET TIRED OF ALL THE BIKERING OVER SMALL THING WHEN THERE IS MORE IMPORTANT THINGS AT HAND TO HELP KEEP BOAT RACING FROM GOING DOWN THE TOILET, AS IT IS SLOWING DOING (BEEN HEARING THE SAME STORIES FOR 20+ YEARS ! )

Patrick

then why bitch about the "small things" of which numbers are??? If people would ACTUALLY read their rule books, most all problems or issues would never need debated..............keep in mind that at our "small" races, there may be only 1 scorer (where as various other types of racing have MANY people) that has to keep track of all the boats and what number they are...............wouldn't you wanna make it as easy as you can for that person????? The people on the judges stands NEVER get enough praise for all the hard work they do! O for one do what ever is possible to NOT piss off those people!!!!!!!

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-11-2009, 09:46 PM
mission bay has now a 25mph ( OR CLOSE TO THAT) , IF YOU GET CAUGHT SPEEDING THEY TICKET YOU,
YEARS AGO WE USE TO TEST ON THE BAY WITHOUT PROBLEMS BUT NO MORE! THEY HAVE PATROL BOATS ALL OVER NOW.

Rayzor
11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
That SUCKS! That video was taken in October of 2005 and I haven't run on Mission Bay since then - except for sanctioned races. Good luck with your Revolution!

spn43
11-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Maybe They Can See That !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL...LOL....http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/spn43/smajli/hahahaha.gif

DeanFHobart
11-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Patrick,

How far do you have to drive to test? With all of your Sport C experience I'm sure it won't take much time for you to get your knack back. Just take it easy at first......... "No blowing over backwards allowed".!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Coming to the SO Nationals would give you more seat time.

It would be nice to have a good showing of 45's at the SO Nationals. I know the Northern Californians will put on a great race... they always do.

Have a good one and hope to see you at the races.

bill boyes
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Dean, the Date for the Oroville 2010 Stock/Mods Nationals will be the week of August 8. Believe that RPM is planing a race the !4th and 15th of August at Long Beach. so we will need to schedule the 45SS like Wed or Thurs to give travel time for those who want to attend Long Beach.
Also Region 11 is going to host the 2010 Western Divsionals for Stock/Mod at Oroville in late June so 45SS will be on the Schedule also.

DeanFHobart
11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks Bill,

Looks like lots of California racing this year.

What are the dates for the Divisionals in June if you know?

See you in Seattle at the Annual Meeting.

Best Regards,

Dean

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Hy Dean

Nothing Around For Testing, Heard A That A Possibility Was Lake Hodges (only About 15 Miles Away ), But I Am Skeptical About It,
Some Years Ago We Went There To Test A New Prop And When They Saw The Boat Coming They Freaked Out And Told Us To Get Lost.
I Remember When I Was And Officer Of Ppbc Boat Club, We Tried Like Crazy For Years To Get Some Water For Races Other Than Mission Bay (san Diego Has Lots Of Lakes), We Got Shot Down ! Some Of The Excuses Were "our Water Is Very Precious And Short In San Diego........" Did They Think We Were Going To Take It Home With Us ????

Patrick

bill boyes
11-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks Bill,

Looks like lots of California racing this year.

What are the dates for the Divisionals in June if you know?

See you in Seattle at the Annual Meeting.

Best Regards,

Dean

:cool::cool::D:D Looks like June 17/18

Rayzor
11-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey Bill, do you know yet which races in Region 11 will include SST120s?

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I have a cheap gearcase for you, and some other stuff. Are you coming to Parker Thanksgiving weekend?

hi bill,
where can i see /pickup some of this stuff ?????????????????????

Patrick / Superglue Express

Pop990
11-14-2009, 09:38 PM
I live in Huntington Beach. I have all the parts of 2 45's- some really good, some economy, plus spares and tools. I will be taking it all to Parker. My email is boat990@aol.com

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I live in Huntington Beach. I have all the parts of 2 45's- some really good, some economy, plus spares and tools. I will be taking it all to Parker. My email is boat990@aol.com

bill,
i am not going to parker ! any other way to see/pickup some of this stuff ??????

Patrick

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-15-2009, 12:39 AM

bill,
i am not going to parker ! any other way to see/pickup some of this stuff ??????

Patrick

Skoontz
11-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Hy Dean

Nothing Around For Testing, Heard A That A Possibility Was Lake Hodges (only About 15 Miles Away ), But I Am Skeptical About It,
Some Years Ago We Went There To Test A New Prop And When They Saw The Boat Coming They Freaked Out And Told Us To Get Lost.
I Remember When I Was And Officer Of Ppbc Boat Club, We Tried Like Crazy For Years To Get Some Water For Races Other Than Mission Bay (san Diego Has Lots Of Lakes), We Got Shot Down ! Some Of The Excuses Were "our Water Is Very Precious And Short In San Diego........" Did They Think We Were Going To Take It Home With Us ????

Patrick

They will allow you on Hodges any time you pay the entry fee of $5.00.

also, take a lap around the lake, see where the police are, and when they are oout of sight, then test a laap. If you can stick a GPS at 36MPH and keep it handy, all you need to do if they stop you is show it to them, because they have no radar....

You can also test on Mission Bay early AM, and the Carlsbad Lagoon. C'bad has a 45 MPH speed limit and rarely enforces it, but, it will cost you $25.00 to launch. Mission Bay is probably better and the winter is a great time to test because the bay is usually filled with woosies who don't like the temps below 60.

You can also run the back bay in Oceanside and if you go early enough, no waves.

Simple as that. I was out in the dessert yestaerday checking out Lake Henshaw for a boat race...Seems that one will be much more suitable as the pit area is larger. Excellent water.

Last, you might need to convert your 45 to a 4 stroke to test at some of the lakes. I have 4 stroke conversion kits for your engine ranging from $6.00 to $18.00 depending on where on the engine hood you want covert. If they ask what you are dumping in the fuel tank, tell them it is oxygenators to help clean the air....They uaually reply, wow, great! Wish more people saw it like you do!

Pop990
11-15-2009, 09:42 AM
If you want a chance at the stuff before Parker, call me for my address. 714 321 2381 anytime Bill

SUPERGLUE EXPRESS
11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
They will allow you on Hodges any time you pay the entry fee of $5.00.

also, take a lap around the lake, see where the police are, and when they are oout of sight, then test a laap. If you can stick a GPS at 36MPH and keep it handy, all you need to do if they stop you is show it to them, because they have no radar....

You can also test on Mission Bay early AM, and the Carlsbad Lagoon. C'bad has a 45 MPH speed limit and rarely enforces it, but, it will cost you $25.00 to launch. Mission Bay is probably better and the winter is a great time to test because the bay is usually filled with woosies who don't like the temps below 60.

You can also run the back bay in Oceanside and if you go early enough, no waves.

Simple as that. I was out in the dessert yestaerday checking out Lake Henshaw for a boat race...Seems that one will be much more suitable as the pit area is larger. Excellent water.

Last, you might need to convert your 45 to a 4 stroke to test at some of the lakes. I have 4 stroke conversion kits for your engine ranging from $6.00 to $18.00 depending on where on the engine hood you want covert. If they ask what you are dumping in the fuel tank, tell them it is oxygenators to help clean the air....They uaually reply, wow, great! Wish more people saw it like you do!

Thanks for the info. Bill,
police around lake hodges ? thats a new one ! do i need CF numbers ?
lake henshaw sounds great to me , what would it take to have races there ? and how many years ?
i am not familiar with " 4 stroke conversion kits " could you please give me more details.

Patrick /superglue express

Skoontz
11-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Bill,
police around lake hodges ? thats a new one ! do i need CF numbers ?
lake henshaw sounds great to me , what would it take to have races there ? and how many years ?
i am not familiar with " 4 stroke conversion kits " could you please give me more details.

Patrick /superglue express

You are supposed to have CF numbers on any body of water, but they never enforce the numbers on Hodges. Henshaw is a possibility for now, nothing near it so loud mods could run there....The ramp is 100' wide and plenty of parking for pits.

4 stroke conversion kits....Since eco geniuses are enforcing what they consider to be a clean engine ( 4 stroke yeah right) you need to be a step ahead of them. By placing a 4 stroke decal on your engine hood, it usually takes care of the problem and the air is so much better the second you install the decal!

Mason Racing
12-31-2009, 02:06 PM
"By placing a 4 stroke decal on your engine hood, it usually takes care of the problem and the air is so much better the second you install the decal!"

Now that was funny!!!!!! :D