Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant

Hybrid View

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakeland. Florida 1974

We were blown out Saturday but managed to get all but a few heats run Sunday. Dieter Konig was there from Germany to help Marshall get his 8 cylinder Konig set up. As there was no testing at Lake Hollingsworth, we all went to a nearby lake to test. Tim Butts had brought down a new design on an Aerowing for us. We won with it on that big sweeping oval course where you can keep up the power, but it never worked good on the average course. My Dad ultimately gave it to Marshall to run his 8 cylinder on. That was a boat we named "HONCHO".

Marshall's 1000 cc Konig (two back to back C's) was running too rich, so Dieter fined tuned it by squeezing the dump tubes with a pair of pliers. It was amazing to watch Dieter work. Charlie Bailey was there to drive for Marshall. I think that was the only race that Charlie drove for him.

I was great to be pitted between two of alky's notable racers, Tim Butts and Marshall Grant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "ring Of Fire" Movie

Was Great!! Especially When You Were Raised On That Music And Johnny..

Ws (fluke) Still Comes And Hangs Out With Us Drag Racing (odba) Usually Always At Jasper Tn For The Finals..

I Have The "super Stranger" That He Used To Run Back In The 70's And He Has Several Other Boats I Need To Get From Him "kitson" And A Stacker I Know Of.. He Still Drives That Lincon With "JOHNNY CASH Racing" On The Side Of It When He Comes To A Race..

Now That I Have Ended Up The The "SCOTTI" Back Up Boat Of Ceasar Scotti I May Put The Super Stranger On It.. Be A Good Piece..

WS is A Great Guy And Friend And Lots Of History There Too..

Post Thanks / Like

Default great stories guys

Haven't seen the movie yet. Was planning on taking Sunday off to see it, but had to work. Like to hear some more stories on Fluke. Did Carl ever pit for him?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alexandria World Championships 1971

Duke, Bill Seebold Sr, Bill Seebold Jr, Jerry, Marshall Grant, 2 friends of Marshall's & Carl Perkins
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great photo Duke

What's the story behind the lineup besides Billy bringing home the gold for Marshall? Billy won six the previous year, but I don't seem to have any Alexandria Town Talk clips from 1971.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alexandria !972

Wayne, it was the year Billy won 6 championships, so that would make it 72. We are standing in front of Ring of Fire 2.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Fluke Story

Fluke Wanted A Dune Buggy I Had. We Had Everything Worked Out Eccept How To Get It From My Home In Orlando To Jackson Tn Where He Lived. He Called Me And Said They Had A New Tractor/trailer Rig To Haul The Equipment To The Shows And They Were Doing A Show Somewhere In South Fl. The Driver Was To Stop By Orlando On The Way Back. When The Driver Got To A Easy Point To Find, I Met Him And Led Him To My House. It Was In The Middle Of The Afternoon And You Can Imagine What Happen When A Big Semi Pulled Up In Front Of My House With Johnny Cash Show Painted On The Side. All The Nosey Women Within Site Were Hanging Out Their Front Doors Wondering What's Going On. I Got Out In The Middle Of The Street And Yelled, We're Having A Show Tonite At 7:30, We Will Start Selling Tickets At 6:30. Then The Driver And I Loaded The Dune Buggy In The Trailer And He Headed Out To Tn.

Post Thanks / Like

All, I am spending considerable time in Austin, TX for work. I have found a "watering hole" named the Mean Eyed Cat. It is all about Johnny Cash and his band. But, there is nothing in the place about Marshall's Race Boat. I showed them some photo's from the internet. Does anyone have access to a good copy of Ring of Fire with Johnny and the associated article? I wold love to hang copies of them in the Mean Eyed Cat. Thanks, David

Post Thanks / Like

David I have a daughter that lives in Austin and have been thinking about bringing a few copies of some of them next time I go to Austin.
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    I have several since I had Ring of 2, and both Boat Named Sue Marchetti & Byers! Let me know!
    Duke

Thread Information